Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Philadelphia 1972
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 14, 2006 16:09

I've been listening through what's available from the 3 Philly show in 1972 (again)
And I wondered....what's the story behind these recordings? I know that some of those songs were even mixed for that so-called "never-released live album"....but most of these songs are not properly mixed...because either Taylor is too low, or Keith. It sounds as we only get one "original" speaker, doubled into a 1/4 stereo in each speaker. THe 2nd show from July 21st, that's the worst one in quality.
And even though I've got the best release (Rattlesnake), the recordings are taken from vinyl (to my ears at least).
In other words...nobody has the tapes.
The best show for me would be the July 21st -1st show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-03 10:26 by Erik_Snow.

Re: Philadelphia 1972
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 14, 2006 16:19

[en.wikipedia.org]

- Philadelphia 72 (don't know who took it, sorry!)

Date: September 14, 2006 16:33

Oh, with sssoul, I even learned about the cheese!

Date: September 14, 2006 18:35

I hoped someone would catch up on this thread...writing something cool. There were someone on this board who was at those concerts. Chippy and 1 or 2 others.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 14, 2006 18:47

maybe if we keep nudging them ... :E

- Philadelphia 1972 (don't know who took it, sorry!)

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: September 14, 2006 19:17

I heard somewhere that the 1st show from the 21st was "filmed"....

Man would I like to have that on DVD!!!!!

MLC

Date: September 14, 2006 19:19

MCDDTLC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I heard somewhere that the 1st show from the 21st
> was "filmed"....

Yea, isn't Midnight Rambler on CS Blues from Philly...I think so.

And...nice one, with Sssoul!

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: September 14, 2006 21:07

There is a book by Bård Ose, from Norway, that has some facts about the unreleased album. Can't remember the title though. I know there are also supposed to be an american newspaper interview with Jagger from november '72 with some details about the live album, but unfortunately I don't know which newspaper it came from. Has anyone got, or seen this news clip?

Date: September 14, 2006 21:16

S.T.P Wrote:
> There is a book by Bård Ose, from Norway, that has
> some facts about the unreleased album. Can't
> remember the title though.

I've read that book, the 72 facts are....old news. It's just about Stevie Wonder on one side...Allen Klein refusing...etc.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: September 14, 2006 21:17

The old TSP Philadelphia Special was the first 72 boot I heard. I already had Live'r Then You'll Ever Be and I loved it, but the first time I heard this one I was absolutely blown away by the way the Stones performance. You can imagine it: I've only heard a boot back then, and it was an audience, so I used to think that a boot could only sound that way, and then I was hearing the Stones full blast, at their peak, and in stereo! Wooow, I can tell you I felt like being in the Philly Spectrum (some songs were from Ft. Worth, but it had not any relevance)...

The 2CDs from Philly on the STP 72 box set are one of my favourite boots, of course.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: September 14, 2006 21:22

Gimme Shelter was great in Philadelphia.

Date: September 14, 2006 21:23

One of the best Gimme Shelters, for sure, it's Empire Pool 73s sister.

Date: September 14, 2006 21:25

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> it's Empire Pool 73s sister.

It's very hard to say that sentence out loud.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: September 14, 2006 22:14

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> ...I've read that book, the 72 facts are....old news.
> It's just about Stevie Wonder on one side...Allen
> Klein refusing...etc.

Ok, I actually knew that, but it's a long time since I've read the book. Too bad though, cause it's really not much info out there, track listing etc.
BTW, there are some really hot versions of Gimme Shelter from the Australian tour i.e. Melbourne 1st. show...

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: September 19, 2006 03:45

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> I hoped someone would catch up on this
> thread...writing something cool. There were
> someone on this board who was at those concerts.
> Chippy and 1 or 2 others.

i posted a few 72 tour posts last yr. u musta missed um

philly tics went on sale june 6 i tink & i drove 2 hrs. 2 get dare , smashed up da car on da way , & i only got 3 tics all in diff. sections 4 da 7-21 nite show , but once it sold out dey added another 7-21 show & handed out 3 Dog Nite tics which u had 2 mail in 2 get your Stones tics . so i got 4 more 4 dat 7- 21 mornin show.
not many girls got tics n Philly dat day, i tink i seen 1 chick come out of dare w/ tics, it was a giant mob of fans pushed up against 3 tic windows , & once u got your tics da people had 2 carry u out of dare , very cool dat was , every1 getting carried out by a sea of arms & holdin dare stones tics , hey every1 dare was moshin way b4 Kurt Cobain was born
Im probly in dere somewhere

dese wooden horses were set up out on broad st. & as u entered dem " Hold Up Your Tickets " da cops repeated dat every 100 ft. or so . no 1 got near da joint w/out a tic, dis repeated 4 Stones 75 tour

my stub 2 get stonewashed ,
stones came on around 3:30 pm & 1st words i hear from da Mickster " Good Mornin "

lots of hats became relics dat show ,
dis 1 went out

dis 1 went out 2

dis 1 almost went out , but it was property of dis black guy dat came out 2 play bongos 4 ycagwyw & other songs & as Mick made a motion 2 throw it out in da crowd he turned around 2 look @ da owner & he shook his head NO ,so mick gave it back 2 um , dat happened durin Rip dis Joint i tink

chippy pic

end of Philly pics
misc. 72 pics

Looka all dat Sugar holdin da teddy bear

Date: September 19, 2006 04:01

Chippy Wrote:
> i posted a few 72 tour posts last yr. u musta missed um

Oh no, I didn't miss them...that was such a good post last year, that I hoped for a re-run! Thanks! Great photos!

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: September 19, 2006 04:13

Great post!!I have it on bootleg(lp)..philly used to be a real Stones-city..also in 78(biggest crowd..of that tour)...and 81!...a real hardcore crowd..what happened?Greetings.Good pics!!!

Date: September 19, 2006 04:19

1975 had some great Philadelphia concerts, there was a great thread about it (by Chippy), but I don't know much about 1969 though....same venue as in 72.
It had to be good...sqeezed in between Detroit and Baltimore! But I haven't heard it, or read about it.

Date: September 19, 2006 04:24

Yeah...I think Chippy was at those shows..I saw some coolpics..from 78!!!

Posted by: troubador ()
Date: September 19, 2006 04:26

Man, those pix bring back lots of memories, chillun. I went to the show with a hippie girlfriend. We smuggled in a hipflask and several well-packed Js. Found we had seats about 25 rows back and to the side, with a pretty decent view, at least for the Rectum, as we called the hall. I was always a big Stevie Wonder fan, so when he came out with Wonderlove, I was jazzed. Bummed, though, that the hardcore Stones fans yapped through much of his show even though he was on fire.

The lights went up. Huge marijuana and cigarette haze. Then when the lights went down again, they opened up on the band of wastrels on stage. From there, we were transported. It remains the all-time single greatest rock and roll show I've ever seen. Even with a huge number of Dylan shows dating back to the 1974 tour with the Band, with a slew of rock festivals dating back to the first festival on the East Coast (Miami 69, with the Dead and Zappa), and with great Stones shows since and hundreds of wonderful concerts over the past 30 years, it remains the all-time highlight.

As great as Philadelphia Special sounds, I can only recommend cranking it as loud as you can get it, light up a doobie, pour some Jack Daniels and imagine the boys taking over the stage for 80 minutes of classics, joined by Stevie for a rousing Uptight/Satisfaction finale...and then hearing from the announcer on exit that the show has been recorded!

Let it Rock!

Date: September 19, 2006 04:31

Thanks!!Philly special..and that other boot I have(brown cover).We miss you Mick Taylor its called I think.

Date: September 19, 2006 04:39

Philly 1978 the longest version of SHATTERED...ever!!!!

Date: September 19, 2006 04:44

Thanks for your posts!

Date: September 19, 2006 04:47

No!!!!We wanna thank you!!!

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 19, 2006 05:17

i first heard the Philly '72 show in the late '70s.....i mail-ordered away from a bootleg catalogue....the title was "Mick Taylor We Miss You" on vinyl ($5.00 per record in dose days).....the cover was a xeroxed insert.....green with a negative picture of Micks face....needless to say, i was completely blown away by the live sound of the '72 Stones........entering the bootleg world was an exiting time then.....you had to be patient......remember?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-19 05:22 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: September 19, 2006 06:11

Erik dat pic of Mick w/ da lil Liberty Bell , Pete Townsend probly has 1 similar , last wk durin Da Who gig n Philly Townsend said how he has many memories of Philly , 1 of em was 1993 on his solo tour , he said da Mayor of Philly gave him a lil Liberty Bell & he still has it in his den with all his other shit including his grammy, possibly Mick got dat 1 from mayor of philly da day he announced da 81 tour dare

Date: November 29, 2006 01:14

Some "new" Philadelphia 72 pictures,

Philadelphia 1972...by Chippy) (edit: I see Chippy hass posted it before, what the heck here it is again)

Philadelphia July 21st 2nd show (photographer unknown)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-29 01:34 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: keef_nerd ()
Date: November 29, 2006 01:30

love all the pics in this thread

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 29, 2006 03:17

It was incredible, and I was there too! Through the haze of all the years that have passed, I still remember the Rolling Stones in Philadelphia in 1972 as the best concert I've ever seen by the Stones or any band.

Ten or so years ago, I picked up a CD, "Philadelphia Special". That recording helped me remember the music of that day so long ago, and it captures only some of the magic and energy of that show.... I've never needed any help remembering the sensation of being there that day: the Spectrum and the crowd seemed to be throbbing with energy as the Stones played. Yes, it was a thrill to be there!

Read more here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-29 03:47 by schillid.

Date: November 29, 2006 03:33

schillid Wrote:
> Read more here.

I can't understand how it happened, but I have missed that thread of yours, it was a great read. Thanks!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1987
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home