Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Stones and Auto-Tune and Auto-Tune Live
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 11, 2017 16:19

Is there evidence that they use this in the studio and in live performances?

Examples?

Re: The Stones and Auto-Tune and Auto-Tune Live
Date: June 11, 2017 16:28

There was talk about autotune being used on Moonlight Mile from Sticky Fingers Live - in the post-production.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 11, 2017 22:17

Must ask: what is auto-tune and what does it do?

Posted by: damnation ()
Date: June 11, 2017 22:29

And no behind (or under) the scenes guitar playing?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 11, 2017 23:30

If there is behind or under the stage guitar playing, they should fire them for incompetence. No, the only additional guitar-like sounds come from keyboards which do a fair bit of coverage for the Stones and just about everyone else for the last three decades.

smileys with beerRe: The Stones and Auto-Tune and Auto-Tune Live
Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: June 11, 2017 23:38

Rocky Dijon
If there is behind or under the stage guitar playing, they should fire them for incompetence. No, the only additional guitar-like sounds come from keyboards which do a fair bit of coverage for the Stones and just about everyone else for the last three decades.

So true!

Date: June 11, 2017 23:42

Except for Matt's keyboard sounds on Can't Be Seen and Rock And A Hard Place on the SW-album, when did the keyboard sound like a guitar?

Chuck's Rhodes sometimes beefs up the sound on SMU and others, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-11 23:42 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: June 11, 2017 23:54

The Stones never used Auto-Tune live. They just don't need it. Sure Mick sings more crooked notes than Rihanna or Justin Bieber who are auto-tuned like hell. But imperfection is part of rock'n'roll and especially a big part of the Stones.
How boring would it be if every tone had the 100% perfect pitch..
Apart from that it is technically a bit difficult to used Auto-Tune live if you got super-loud guitar amps on the stage bleeding into the microphone because the Auto-Tune algorithm only works with monophonic signal and gets very artifactual with other polyphonic sounds coming into the microphone.

Studio/Live-recordings is a different thing. I never heard them using Auto-Tune (you can hear that), but it's pretty standard studio work these days to manually correct single wrong notes. I don't know why everyone just talks of Auto-Tune but tuning manually in single places is far more common in the studio (if you don't want an Auto-Tune sound then of course you use Auto-Tune). Bob Clearmountain uses Digidesign Pitch for his tunings. And what's wrong with that, if the performance was emotionally right but some single notes are off then why should the artist sing it again and probably not getting the same feeling again. Some people believe the myth that it's possible in the studio to make a bad singer awesome. That's not possible, a good performance can get better with tuning but a bad performance will stay bad after pitch-correction.
Editing are the new overdubs.

Moonlight Mile on Sticky Fingers live is an example which Dandy already mentioned (this one is pretty obvious because you still hear the untuned voice through the room mics which gives some kind of unisono fx), though this is an exception, the other tracks seem to be mainly untouched, at least you hear some off tones which Bob could have corrected but did not.
And I can assure that more Guitar f***-offs of Keith have been corrected (e.g. SMU Hyde Park, OOC Havana) than Mick not being on pitch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-11 23:55 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 12, 2017 00:08

dmay
I second that. Can somebody please explain?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: June 12, 2017 00:10

Date: June 12, 2017 00:16

Thank you Dandy

-------------------

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: June 12, 2017 00:17

Rolling Hansie
dmay

Autotune is an effect people use for automatic pitch correction on vocals.
If a singer sings a tone then he never is 100 percent on pitch.
An autotune effect corrects the pitch of this tone to fit perfectly by transposing it so the nearest semitone. (The intensity can be adjusted).
If the effect is used to much it can sound like a robot and that's often done in nowadays popular music. The first song that used autotune that heavily was 'Believe' by Cher where the effect is more than obvious.
However people tend to use Autotune as a synonym for pitch-correction but in the studio this is more often done manually (for example with Melodyne).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-12 00:20 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 12, 2017 01:46

Dandy, I meant the Rhodes. It's not just Chuck. Almost every act uses keyboards to fill the guitar sound. It isn't just because health or abuse requires (or required) coverage.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 12, 2017 04:12

Bliss

Examples?

Auto tune is not a real time device and is not used live. There are other methods used. Delay, EQ and Reverb to enhanced vocals live. You would sound like a Kanye West on record if you do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-12 04:17 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: June 12, 2017 08:52

More Hot Rocks
Bliss

Examples?

Auto tune is not a real time device and is not used live. There are other methods used. Delay, EQ and Reverb to enhanced vocals live. You would sound like a Kanye West on record if you do.

Actually it is. There was a autotune "scandal" here in Norway on some Norway's got talent tv-show, where the sound guy mistimed the use of the effect and totally destroyed the singer's performance.

It's difficult to use live, though, but people are doing it.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 12, 2017 11:44

DandelionPowderman
More Hot Rocks
Bliss

Examples?

Actually it is. There was a autotune "scandal" here in Norway on some Norway's got talent tv-show, where the sound guy mistimed the use of the effect and totally destroyed the singer's performance.

WóW. Thàt's news to me. eye popping smiley

P.S.: Dandy, are you from Norway? (I always took you for an Englishman...)

Date: June 12, 2017 11:49

RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
More Hot Rocks
Bliss

Examples?

WóW. Thàt's news to me. eye popping smiley

P.S.: Dandy, are you from Norway? (I always took you for an Englishman...)

Yep, I'm from the land of IORR smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-12 11:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 12, 2017 11:52

Wat was it they did to Micks voice on Get Off Of My Cloud on the Biggest Bang DVD?

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: June 12, 2017 11:55

marcovandereijk
Wat was it they did to Micks voice on Get Off Of My Cloud on the Biggest Bang DVD?

What was that? I only remember that they guitar techs were credited with overdubs (Most likely on Under My Thumb).

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 12, 2017 12:00

The Bennies ------ L-R --- David Beaumont -- Craig Selak ------------------- Anty Horgan ---------- Jules Rozenbergs

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-12 12:08 by Rockman.

Date: June 12, 2017 12:02

LOL! grinning smiley

Date: June 12, 2017 12:06

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 12, 2017 12:07

Your twin ???

the Bennies ------ L-R --- David Beaumont -- Craig Selak -- Anty Horgan -- Jules Rozenbergs

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 12, 2017 12:47

StonedRambler
Rolling Hansie
dmay

If a singer sings a tone then he never is 100 percent on pitch.
An autotune effect corrects the pitch of this tone to fit perfectly by transposing it so the nearest semitone. (The intensity can be adjusted).
If the effect is used to much it can sound like a robot and that's often done in nowadays popular music. The first song that used autotune that heavily was 'Believe' by Cher where the effect is more than obvious.
However people tend to use Autotune as a synonym for pitch-correction but in the studio this is more often done manually (for example with Melodyne).

The effect on Believe by Cher was made on purpose. She sung through a vocoder to purposely distort her voice and give it a computerised effect.

Date: June 12, 2017 13:48

DandelionPowderman
marcovandereijk

What was that? I only remember that they guitar techs were credited with overdubs (Most likely on Under My Thumb).

The "Hey (hey) You (you)" singing sounds very unnatural to me, especially the YOU's.

Date: June 13, 2017 08:08

StonedRambler

Thanks

-------------------

Date: June 13, 2017 10:12

I think the Stones' music largely does not lend itself to even be auto corrected. Plus there are too many people singing at same time. Does Jagger even sing along on melodic passages at all?
Whenever there is a part that relies on precise notes, like a scale; e.g. the falsetto lines in "Waiting on a Friend" he has Bernard who acts as a human Auto-tuner.
And the sequences where he sings alone, are usually Blues based, where there is so much sliding into notes. I dont think it would really work that well.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 13, 2017 10:29

Palace Revolution 2000
I think the Stones' music largely does not lend itself to even be auto corrected. Plus there are too many people singing at same time. Does Jagger even sing along on melodic passages at all?
Whenever there is a part that relies on precise notes, like a scale; e.g. the falsetto lines in "Waiting on a Friend" he has Bernard who acts as a human Auto-tuner.
And the sequences where he sings alone, are usually Blues based, where there is so much sliding into notes. I dont think it would really work that well.[/[/b]quote]

thumbs up

The Slurred and 1/4 tone curls in the Blues and its derivative genres are a big part of the whole sound & feel . It just wouldn't work.

Date: June 13, 2017 10:45

Spud
Palace Revolution 2000
are usually Blues based, where there is so much sliding into notes. I dont think it would really work that well.

thumbs up

The Slurred and 1/4 tone curls in the Blues and its derivative genres are a big part of the whole sound & feel . It just wouldn't work.

So true. A while ago someone posted a 400 times slowed down version of You can't always
get what you want. On this you hear perfectly how Mick is going into the notes. Sometimes
he sort of circles around a note, starting low, reaching up a bit above and then landing
on the right note, only to stay there for a while, going anywhere he feels like.

Maybe that's why the "Hey (hey) You (you)'s" don't sound like Mick on The Biggest Bang DVD.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 13, 2017 15:00

I recall Michael Jackson complained that Mick sang flat when they duetted, and wondered how he ever got to be a star. So auto-tune could have helped..

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1551
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home