Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: The Rolling Stones - No Spare Parts (2011) | Youtube
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 22, 2011 21:49

ManuelStones
It has the flavour, it has the lyrics, it has the flow.
But certainly as 71 Tele and others has said Mick's voice is too loud in the mix. Imagine a bit lower Mick's and a bit louder and longer Keith-Ronnie chorus, it would sound much better.
A great tune nonetheless.

My feeling is that as much as Don Was talks about how he loves the Stones, he doesn't really understand what made their sound work. If this had been given the same type of mix as the songs on the original LP it would have benefited.

Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: October 23, 2011 00:42

But why, oh why, have the cut out the "Baby, baby, baby" intro? To be honest Keith could have redone those words so wonderful...

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: October 23, 2011 00:59

original track + old man vocals + don was the hack = epic fail

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: October 23, 2011 01:29

Seems like there are a lot of artists nowadays trying their hand at country music. Maybe the Stones should release this song to country radio. It's got to be better than the stuff that's out there. Maybe that would give them a #1.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 23, 2011 02:08

I don't know who did the mixes. Don often works with Ed Cherney, who's pretty great. Either way, this sounds a lot like a Chris Kimsey/Bob Clearmountain style mix. I don't think it's so much that Jagger's voice is high. It was high in the mix throughout Some Girls, which also had the trebly sound and splashy less woody drums. I think it's the attitude. Someone said earnest, and that's close. It certainly isn't the arrogant parody of Far Away Eyes, which was more fun. It reminds me of Memory Motel, but without the antidote of Keith's vocals. I like it, but it is a bit of a near miss when it could have been in the pocket.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 23, 2011 03:12

DragonSky
Yeah OK it isn't like Plundered My Soul because, gee, it's not Plundered My Soul. So it goes from 'Cool, we're getting the vaults' to 'It's not as good as PMS so it's shit, why did they bother'?

I love it. It works. It works better than anything they've done new for a while simply because of the simplicity and the movement. And it's got the nice lyric hook "Lonely hearts they're not made to break/got no spare parts/got no oil to change". It's just as good as the lyrics in PMS - and a lot better than most of what's been released the last three studio LPs...three albums within nine years... and people complain about the leftovers being finished? It's one thing to complain about Mick's this and that, it's another to wish they'd never bothered. Because they bothered some people like PMS and can't stand Following The River. Others like the Keith vocal of Soul Survivor. So... no history has been changed as far as the actual albums go.

How come Mick can come up with decent lyrics for these tracks but not for much of the new recordings?

thumbs up

Starting to love this song...mick's vocals are really starting to grow on me too!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 23, 2011 03:55

"If I want somethin' bad enough
I always find a way to get it"

He says this over and over. I thinks there's a subliminal message here: "If you want somethin' bad enough (pricey Stones tickets and deluxe box sets) you can find a way to pay for them.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: October 23, 2011 04:32

OK, I read all the comments here and have been holding off on listening to the new version for fear of the worst... I love this song and didn't want to hear it done up improperly. All said, I just gave it a whirl, and I love it. I think the 68-yr-old Mick did a fine job on the vocals, I don't think they are too high in the mix even (although I understand that criticism and love the Some Girls/ Emotional Rescue era of their sound and mixes). I, for one, think it's every bit as good as Plundered. Can't wait for the album dx release.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 23, 2011 05:22

I think thumbs up smiling smiley ... that's what I think !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 23, 2011 06:14

paulywaul
I think thumbs up smiling smiley ... that's what I think !!
thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: October 23, 2011 08:35

"when i had to change a tire,
i'm glad i wore my western boots" hahaha....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-23 08:38 by riverrat.

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: October 23, 2011 10:46

Again: the redone vocals, upfront in the mix, make it sound like a Mick-solo-song. Sorry to say.

Priest

Posted by: perosand ()
Date: October 23, 2011 11:13

My country song ain't that bad either...

url=

]

Perry

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: October 23, 2011 16:12

I was told by a girl I know who has connections with Universal Music that next year for the Rolling Stones 50th Anniversary, Universal Music will be remastering the whole catalog, and EVERY album will have bonus tracks of alternate takes and outtakes ( I don't know if this includes the ABKCO collection). I hope the Stones don't go back into the studio and redo the bonus tracks for all the other albums as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-23 16:15 by originalstones.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 23, 2011 16:16

Remaster again? That's pretty ballsy after the recent batch of oversampled garbage they put out. What are the bonus tracks, B-side singles?

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: October 23, 2011 16:19

frankotero
Remaster again? That's pretty ballsy after the recent batch of oversampled garbage they put out. What are the bonus tracks, B-side singles?

No, they're supposed to be bonus tracks of outtakes and alternate takes of songs from that particular album. No B-sides from what i was told. Just like what they did with Exile and now Some Girls.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: October 23, 2011 16:29

There's more life in Gaddafi's body than in this Some Girls Remade Outtake!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 23, 2011 18:07

Though I disagree with you Eleanor Rigby I like your dark sense of humor.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 23, 2011 19:47

originalstones
frankotero

No, they're supposed to be bonus tracks of outtakes and alternate takes of songs from that particular album. No B-sides from what i was told. Just like what they did with Exile and now Some Girls.

....and so it might be possible listen to 'You got it made', 'I need you', 'Misty roads', 'Strictly Memphis', 'Randy Whore', 'Honest man', 'Zip mouth angel', 'Not the way to go', 'High or low' ecc..

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 23, 2011 21:06

Oh dear, it's so bland.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: October 23, 2011 22:45

E w
24FPS
Loudei
jesus... mick can't sing like himself.

What the hell does that mean? There is nothing wrong with the way Mick Jagger sounds. Is he supposed to imitate himself? To me he is the ultimate vocal craftsman, who has matured into his voice. Is he supposed to sound like he's 20? Maybe he doesn't want to repeat himself, either, instead of being boxed in. He's 68 years old. He brings years of depth and experience to his singing now, like a real bluesman. He's the Stone with the most punch left in the group. Next, you'll be saying he's 'nasal'.

Well some singers voices never change, some evolve for the better and some for the worse.. Jagger's voice now a days does not taste like mashed potatoes with gravy, more like artificial mashed potatoes.... Yeah Mick has been artificial since the Undercover - an album which he sang great.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: October 23, 2011 22:47

71Tele
Sounds like a new vocal with maybe some original backing vocals. One thing I notice about these "new" tracks (Exile extras too) is that Jagger's voice is way up in the mix compared to the way the Stones always mixed his voice. I think the way Jagger's voice on the best Stones material was a little low in the mix made it work with the band much more, and was a great feature of the Stones sound. You had to strain a little to hear him sometimes ("Brown Sugar" is a perfect example). This track and "Following The River" have his voice up high, and it gives it a little bit of an artificial feeling, imo. Maybe it's a Don Was thing.

The track itself is ok, but I see why they didn't use it when they had so many better songs with the same I/IV chord progression on that record, including "Whip", "Imagination", and the title track.

Could not agree more.... What do the Stones see in Don Was?

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: October 23, 2011 23:49

...not strong enough for a single but a very good album track...I like very much
Mick's vocals...

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 24, 2011 00:02

originalstones
frankotero

But you said they were going to remaster them again. Now you say no. Which one is it?

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: October 24, 2011 02:58

As far as country songs go, it is probably as good as many if not most of them. I have never been much of a Country and Western man though.

I have no problem with the Stones putting out new material, but why go back over thirty years and re-record the songs which were deemed to be not suitable for inclusion in an album.

The Stones have proven that they can write good music, as shown by at least eight or more songs on A Bigger Bang. I want new material, not old songs from the sixties or seventies.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 24, 2011 03:01

How about both?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 24, 2011 03:03

Yeah...... how about both flilflam..........although love sixties or seventies still love to hear new songs ....

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: October 24, 2011 03:18

It's hilarious how when one of the longtime IORR members speculates about something it somehow morphs itself into fact. Just for the record, no one has any clue whatsoever whether or not Don Was "gets" the Stones. Also, no one has any clue whatsoever what occurred in the mixing process; whether or not Don Was wanted Jagger's vocals high in the mix is complete conjecture.

Buncha gossipy ladies at the hair salon......

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: October 24, 2011 12:37

Havo
well, for the first time ever--i say,this could be a no.1 hit single

I'd love it to be a massive hit....But it'll never happen, not in the UK anyway. The dizzy X Factor generation who virtually dominate the charts wont know what to make of it.

Great song and a fabulous (new) vocal from Jagger

Date: October 24, 2011 12:56

What I miss is this sense of effortless-ness. The old demo version didn't have complete lyrics, and may have missed a rhyme here and there, but there was this sense of humor and chuckle in Jagger's voice throughout. A while back I read where someone said that the worst thing Jagger did was to quit drinking, LOL There's times where Jagger could stand to let his hair down and slur some words.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2067
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home