Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Young Rascals - An Appreciation
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 12, 2017 16:37

Used to be one of my favorite bands. I played the Groovin' album a lot after it came out. My favorite album by them is Peaceful World, which came out toward the end of their first go around. It's a mix of soul, jazz, r&b, them stretching their talents. Well worth checking out. It's on u-toob.

[theimmortaljukebox.com]

Re: OT: The Young Rascals - An Appreciation
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 12, 2017 17:50

Love The Young Rascals/Rascals.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 12, 2017 19:48

Yes. The Rascals were/are an amazing band.

The sound of the piano on the opening of this one still gives me chills:

[www.youtube.com]

Groovin'...a timeless classic, sung in Spanish, French, and Italian...

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

From the last album with Eddie, some blue-eyed Gospel soul--

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 12, 2017 20:01

One of my absolute favorites. I never missed one thing from them. The Brigati brothers go back to Joey Dee & The Starlighters and that was the hottest club band in NY; I think The Beatles went right to The Peppermint Lounge upon arrival to actually dance and soak in their first US nightclub; they were a sensation. That New Jersey Italian soul brothers putting The Rascals together was so awesome. They had too great lead singers; Eddie's brother David on a lot of the sessions singing w Felix, Eddie & Gene. Blue eyed soul kids really coming out kings of the tri state area with such grooving stuff and great originals too. They were a panic, mega exciting, super soulful. I used to feel that The Rascals (young and otherwise) along w The Byrds & The Lovin' Spoonful were like the yank friendly answers to the Invasion, as different as they were from each other...and Zal being a Canadian but still north american continent; northern part of a few states were closer to Montreal than Boston even...I love these guys. And what they were talking about and how they put it; People Got To Be Free was enormous and still is...and like those other two, hit after hit after hit; scoring on a lot of different approaches. Dino Danelli one of the best and most unheralded of the rock drummer; really original and really powerful. a lot to those guys; i sure appreciate them. They were killer. I saw them live tape a TV show at Brooklyn, NY TV studio; I was just a kid in the studio audience, too young for clubs, and most shows too at the time...I remember they got into some stressful stuff in the american south on the road. They were pretty amazing; one of my favorites, a soul act and a rock act; they did flower power but it wasn't drippy...a whole lot of soul.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 12, 2017 21:33

Great musicians, and great showmen. Grew from a garage band act to a chart topping pop soul outfit.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: May 12, 2017 22:27

Felix Cavaliere (sp) is a top notch singer/songwriter/keyboard player.

He was the Rascals.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 12, 2017 22:56

No Dino Danelli, Eddie Brigati, Gene Cornish along with Felix. He didn't have a big hit after they split up; and he couldn't keep the name going without Eddie's soul on that last double album when they had splintered apart. Felix is truly great but he was certainly and definitively not a solo artist. I saw that band raw and live, '68 i think; contemporaneous with 'people got to be free' not their early legendary bar gigs, i was too young; it's the same spare combo on each of their hit records and all of those gigs from dead-end zone bars into rock history. Eddie was writing; it was not all Felix. Dino was a tremendous presence in that band and on the record. I'm not a drummer but good drummers must surely know he is doing something really individual with his style and approach; and sound too.
...on Ed Sullivan and all that; Eddie up front...why do people do that? they do it with the stones too. it's all mick. it's keith's band. not charlie and bill they were just along for the ride, and that Brian cat.
... yes Felix was the very soulful incredible lead singer and great keyboards, no one could ever deny that and why would they anyway...he's the Key lead singer with so much soul, no doubt about it! but each of those guys brought something huge to the table, even the under-rated Gene. A million people who cannot do what he did and did not do what he did; play that rhythm and accent it with charactersistic melody runs at the same time. That was a truly live band that were captured in the studio, and ending up writing so many great things. They are a phenemonon and it took em all imo. it took a group; they were breaking color lines down south with all that they drew, and how they looked was not appreciated. they are originators at the dawn of the 2nd generation with just a tad hold-over from the first, and they encompassed soul music too, it's own new genre pretty much in pop music; in those days we'd get The Supremes and The Stones right after each other on the radio and it all worked together on the Top Ten. The Rascals were a group. a band. when they were all aligned philosophically and on their mission it needed to be a group. They broke down many doors. They are a very important band...I don't think that's just a NY thing I'd have to plead guilty to...They were an extraordinary band. they were inducted as a band...
...some fans probably thought it was not needed that taylor be there and speak at the induction; somehow that wasn't the other Stones, including Ron.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-13 19:12 by hopkins.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: May 12, 2017 23:03

The Rascals were tops ! Some of the best singles of the 60's ! Groovin, How Can I be Sure. People Got to be Free, Good Lovin ! Ouitstanding

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 13, 2017 00:27

beachbreak
Felix Cavaliere (sp) is a top notch singer/songwriter/keyboard player.

He was the Rascals.

Having seen them on their reunion tour a couple of years ago, my impression at the time was that Felix was roughly 70% of the Rascals. That's probably Felix's opinion as well, and his insistence on receiving a disproportionately large share of the proceeds (as well as having total creative control) from any future Rascals reunions is the reason why there will probably be no more reunions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1533
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home