Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Anniversary of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards Dartford meeting
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 17, 2011 16:59

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards recognised each other and a conversation started about music

Fifty years ago Sir Mick Jagger and Keith Richards had their first proper meeting at a Kent train station - an encounter which would change the direction of pop music.

On the morning of 17 October 1961, Mick Jagger, then 18, arrived on platform two of Dartford Station to travel to the London School of Economics where he was studying.

Shortly afterwards, 19-year-old Keith Richards arrived on the same platform.

He was on his way to Sidcup Art College, carrying his hollow-bodied Höfner cutaway electric guitar.

Mike Still, assistant manager of Dartford Museum, has researched the famous encounter.

He said Jagger was holding some of his prized blues records and the two teenagers recognised each other as they had both attended Wentworth Primary School in the town.

Songwriting partnership

A conversation about music began which continued on the train and led to Richards joining the group Jagger fronted called Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys.

The group broke up when Jagger and Richards met Brian Jones and Ian Stewart, eventually forming The Rolling Stones in 1962.

That meeting at Dartford train station is believed to be one of the most important moments in the foundation of The Rolling Stones and certainly the most important in the songwriting partnership of Jagger and Richards.

Together they went on to produce songs such as Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women and (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction.

The initial meeting sparked the beginning of The Rolling Stones

Mr Still said Stones fans come to Dartford to re-visit the famous meeting and trace the roots of the Stones.

"People do visit Dartford purely for the connection, I know that for a fact," he said. "People come into the museum asking about that."

Both Jagger and Richards have strong Dartford connections which Mr Still has looked into.

Mick Jagger lived with his family in Denver Road near Wentworth Primary School in Dartford and later his family moved to Wilmington.

As a baby, Keith Richards lived in Moorland Avenue in Dartford.

Mr Still said: "Unfortunately a V1 flying bomb hit part of the road and their house was rendered unsafe. So they moved further up the road to where his aunt lived.

"After the war they got a flat in Chastilian Road above some shops there and later on they moved to Temple Hill council estate."

'Strong connection'

Mick Jagger still visits his home town and his old school, Dartford Grammar School, which is also home to the Mick Jagger Centre music venue.

Nicola Bowden, manager of the centre, said: "Mick Jagger made a surprise visit to the Mick Jagger Centre recently - he brought his son to show him round Dartford Grammar school and the centre. He was also at the centre for the 10th anniversary last year."

Mick Jagger regularly returns to his home town and his old school Ms Bowden believes his roots are important to him. "He still has a strong connection with his family in the area and he clearly remembers and has lots of memories there," she said. "On his last visit he drove around his favourite spots - he loves coming back to Dartford, definitely."

Jagger also funds music bursaries for local school children through the Red Rooster project.

"We currently have about 400 primary school students who are learning to play instruments purely through his funding," Ms Bowden said. "Hopefully it will be the next Mick Jagger who he has helped on their way."

Marking the meeting

Many residents know about the historic station meeting and some believe the place and date should be permanently marked.

Sculptor Anthony Hawken is hoping to raise enough money to build a statue of Sir Mick and Keith Richards to be placed at Dartford train station.

The sculptures would show how the pair looked at the time of the first meeting at Dartford railway station in 1961.

The idea was suggested to Mr Hawken by a friend who had been to Liverpool and seen the statues of The Beatles there.

"As The Rolling Stones are just as big and just as global and are still going, we feel they should have something down here," said Mr Hawken.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-17 17:02 by Edith Grove.

Re: Anniversary of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards Dartford meeting
Posted by: nocomment ()
Date: October 17, 2011 18:00

for us this date is a big deal. and to our knowledge no one has established
it definitively in any publication as October 17, with the only sources we
know placing it vaguely later in October. so its seems ridiculous that the BBC
claims they know the date without a single reference to back it up.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 17, 2011 18:09

The BBC making sh*t up isn't a huge surprise. For what it's worth, 10/17/1961 was a Tuesday, and Paris police massacred more than 200 Algerians marching in the city in support of peace talks to end their country's war of independence against France.

Date: October 17, 2011 18:25

They screwed up the ages - Mick is older than Keith, and they both would have been 18 on that day.

Date: October 17, 2011 18:44

Mick is older than Keith, yes so if he was 18 in October 1961, Keith was 17.

Agree with NoComment the date is likely not something even Mick and Keith can pinpoint unless they kept diaries.

Date: October 17, 2011 18:50

Yeah, Keith would've been 17.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 17, 2011 18:59

Send It To me
The BBC making sh*t up isn't a huge surprise. For what it's worth, 10/17/1961 was a Tuesday, and Paris police massacred more than 200 Algerians marching in the city in support of peace talks to end their country's war of independence against France.

Yes ,it was under the orders from Maurice Papon ,the same one who was convicted on charges of crimes against humanity due to his role under the Vichy collaborationism during World War II.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: October 17, 2011 20:50

SwayStones
Send It To me

Yes ,it was under the orders from Maurice Papon ,the same one who was convicted on charges of crimes against humanity due to his role under the Vichy collaborationism during World War II.

sad smiley

Posted by: masseolle ()
Date: October 17, 2011 21:57

smileys with beer I ecently visited Dartford while in London. It took c one hour from Charing Cross. It was with a sense of history that I and a colleague steped down on the platsform! Then into the city which actually is quite nice (at least the city centre). I think that we counted to 10 pubs just on the High Street!! We then went to look at the Grammar School and then to the Centre, Keiths house and then at last Denver Road where Mick lived when young! Nice brown/beige house but nothing spectacular really! Then for a bacon sandwich at Tony´s Sandwich Shop close by!
It really was quite a trip and walk but worthwhile!

The next day we wnt to Edith Grove, Worlds End and Cheyne Walk!! Last mentioned is really posh today!!

In all I really enjoyed myself

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 17, 2011 22:10

So................isn't the date that Brian Jones arrived in London at Alexis Corner's place just as important? Or Brian and Stu meeting? Mick and Keith didn't write songs until well after the band was underway. The band that provided that platform was not started from the Dartford meeting. That was Brian and Stu's invention.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: October 17, 2011 23:24

24FPS
So................isn't the date that Brian Jones arrived in London at Alexis Corner's place just as important? Or Brian and Stu meeting? Mick and Keith didn't write songs until well after the band was underway. The band that provided that platform was not started from the Dartford meeting. That was Brian and Stu's invention.
thumbs up smileys with beer

Date: October 19, 2011 08:05

Are there any London 'Stones Tours' you can take that go to all these places? Edith Grove, Mapesbury Rd, Chelsea Walk, all the (past) homes, recording studios and clubs where they used to play etc? I mean being from Canada and all, if I go there I'd like to see all that stuff.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: October 19, 2011 08:20

Edith Grove

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards recognised each other and a conversation started about music

Fifty years ago Sir Mick Jagger and Keith Richards had their first proper meeting at a Kent train station - an encounter which would change the direction of pop music.

On the morning of 17 October 1961, Mick Jagger, then 18, arrived on platform two of Dartford Station to travel to the London School of Economics where he was studying.

Shortly afterwards, 19-year-old Keith Richards arrived on the same platform.

He was on his way to Sidcup Art College, carrying his hollow-bodied Höfner cutaway electric guitar.

Mike Still, assistant manager of Dartford Museum, has researched the famous encounter.

He said Jagger was holding some of his prized blues records and the two teenagers recognised each other as they had both attended Wentworth Primary School in the town.

Songwriting partnership

A conversation about music began which continued on the train and led to Richards joining the group Jagger fronted called Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys.

The group broke up when Jagger and Richards met Brian Jones and Ian Stewart, eventually forming The Rolling Stones in 1962.

That meeting at Dartford train station is believed to be one of the most important moments in the foundation of The Rolling Stones and certainly the most important in the songwriting partnership of Jagger and Richards.

Together they went on to produce songs such as Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women and (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction.

The initial meeting sparked the beginning of The Rolling Stones

Mr Still said Stones fans come to Dartford to re-visit the famous meeting and trace the roots of the Stones.

"People do visit Dartford purely for the connection, I know that for a fact," he said. "People come into the museum asking about that."

Both Jagger and Richards have strong Dartford connections which Mr Still has looked into.

Mick Jagger lived with his family in Denver Road near Wentworth Primary School in Dartford and later his family moved to Wilmington.

As a baby, Keith Richards lived in Moorland Avenue in Dartford.

Mr Still said: "Unfortunately a V1 flying bomb hit part of the road and their house was rendered unsafe. So they moved further up the road to where his aunt lived.

"After the war they got a flat in Chastilian Road above some shops there and later on they moved to Temple Hill council estate."

'Strong connection'

Mick Jagger still visits his home town and his old school, Dartford Grammar School, which is also home to the Mick Jagger Centre music venue.

Nicola Bowden, manager of the centre, said: "Mick Jagger made a surprise visit to the Mick Jagger Centre recently - he brought his son to show him round Dartford Grammar school and the centre. He was also at the centre for the 10th anniversary last year."

Mick Jagger regularly returns to his home town and his old school Ms Bowden believes his roots are important to him. "He still has a strong connection with his family in the area and he clearly remembers and has lots of memories there," she said. "On his last visit he drove around his favourite spots - he loves coming back to Dartford, definitely."

Jagger also funds music bursaries for local school children through the Red Rooster project.

"We currently have about 400 primary school students who are learning to play instruments purely through his funding," Ms Bowden said. "Hopefully it will be the next Mick Jagger who he has helped on their way."

Marking the meeting

Many residents know about the historic station meeting and some believe the place and date should be permanently marked.

Sculptor Anthony Hawken is hoping to raise enough money to build a statue of Sir Mick and Keith Richards to be placed at Dartford train station.

The sculptures would show how the pair looked at the time of the first meeting at Dartford railway station in 1961.

The idea was suggested to Mr Hawken by a friend who had been to Liverpool and seen the statues of The Beatles there.

"As The Rolling Stones are just as big and just as global and are still going, we feel they should have something down here," said Mr Hawken.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Wow! I am so honored! I saw them live on October 17, 2006 at Qwest Field! 45 years to the day of that meeting in 1961!

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: October 19, 2011 09:42

Send It To me
totally out of topic.
Typical perfidious Albion comment !
I thought that talking about politics on this forum was not allowed.
Would you like to talk about the way the English occupant behaved in India ?
I can suggest you to read "Late Victorian Holocausts", from Mike Davis (American historian) published in 2001.

Date: October 19, 2011 10:37

It's not political, I simply looked up news items from that day. I could have discovered that Kennedy pulled four nose hairs that day and posted that.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 19, 2011 11:08

If somebody did make the date up, it wasn't the BBC that did it. Christopher Sandford gives 17th October 1961 in his biography of Keith - where he got it from is anybody's guess, although his notes say that he talked to a number of friends and family in Dartford. The famously inaccurate Old Gods Almost Dead says October 1960, which must be wrong, surely?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 19, 2011 11:59

...and my wife was just 24 days old that day....

smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: nocomment ()
Date: October 19, 2011 12:17

Green Lady
If somebody did make the date up, it wasn't the BBC that did it. Christopher
Sandford gives 17th October 1961 in his biography of Keith - where he got it from
is anybody's guess, although his notes say that he talked to a number of friends
and family in Dartford. The famously inaccurate Old Gods Almost Dead says October
1960, which must be wrong, surely?

surely. but thanks for putting a source to the Oct 17 date, which was the
mystery. also, now that the bbc has headlined that date, unless somebody in the
stones camp disputes it soon, it is the date that will stand forever, right or
wrong, just like dec 25.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1829
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home