Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Semi OT: Record Store Day 2017
Posted by: Voodookitten76 ()
Date: March 11, 2017 01:31

What's everybody hoping to snag this RSD (April 22)???

I'll be looking for Gram Parsons & The Fallen Angels – Live 1973 and Nilsson Schmilsson, along with Marianne Faithfull – Rich Kids Blues.

"Nice bit of silk, Em."

Re: Semi OT: Record Store Day 2017
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 11, 2017 03:19

Pink Floyd – Interstellar Overdrive [12”]
The Germs– Lexicon Devil [7”]
U-Roy – Dread In A Babylon [LP]
The Kinks – All Day And All Of The Night [7”]
The Kinks– Got Love If You Want It [7”]
Various Artists – Soul Jazz Records Presents: Studio One Hi-Fi [7”box set]

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: March 11, 2017 05:12

The Bowie stuff.

And Jason Isbell.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 11, 2017 07:11

Record Store day has become a racket .... chance for record companies to off load crap at a high price ..

ROCKMAN

Date: March 11, 2017 07:24

Concur Rockman. Though would not concur with the crap comment as there is decent music involved. The Bowie 1974 live set, I wonder how many "limiteds?" I don't think that it should be limited - not fair really.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-11 08:04 by KingmanBarstow.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 11, 2017 07:34

Rockman
Record Store day has become a racket .... chance for record companies to off load crap at a high price ..

My thoughts exactly. Instead of buying the same shit again and again I bought a new guitar amp recently and this gives me more happiness than any record collector exploitation releases could at this point in my life.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 11, 2017 11:35

What Bowie stuff? I'm hoping for CIAO! MANHATTAN OST (and MF RICH KID'S BLUES...)

Date: March 11, 2017 18:00

[www.theguardian.com]

Article from The Guardian on the Bowie releases.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 11, 2017 18:29

Hairball

Great album.

Love this track:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 11, 2017 19:08

loog droog
Hairball

Great album.

Love this track:

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

I have an original copy - a hand me down from my older bro who used to dj a college radio reggae show c.79/80 - but it's a bit battered and tattered.
Will be nice to have a pristine state of the art copy, but limited to only 1,000 chances might be tough!

There's always something unique on record store day - some years better than others, but with 'limited' pressings of most it's sometimes hard to resist.
I have several Plundered my Soul singles from 2010 which were 'limited' to about 10,000 (or more lol), and really have no use for all but one.

Here's the entire rumoured list for 2017 with lots of goodies:

Record Store Day 2017

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 12, 2017 16:52

Rockman

Really? I disagree. Last record store day had some great stuff and very reasonably priced. Great Sun Records release of rare soul/psychedelic singles only 12 dollars. Great Johnny Cash blue vinyl, 12 dollars. Nuggets double album 20 dollars.
Some stuff I didn't get and really wanted included double album with Buddy Guy and Junior Wells outtakes. Great live Muddy Waters.

You have to sift through a lot of stuff, but there are some great things for reasonable prices.

Date: March 12, 2017 18:13

Some that sound very interesting for the upcoming April frenzy:
Tripple album of The Meters singles 67-77. Nillson Schmillson marble vinyl; Legalize it Red, Yellow, Green vinyl. Bowie live and bowie Honky Dory alt versions; Son House live at Oberlin College; Curtis Knight with Jimmi Hendrix live at George's Club; two great Johnny Guitar Watson releases; Satanna Woodstock show; several cool Sharon Jones releases; Southside Johnny and Asbury Jukes live on E Street; some cool stuff!!

Posted by: Voodookitten76 ()
Date: March 14, 2017 02:17

whitem8
Rockman

Really? I disagree. Last record store day had some great stuff and very reasonably priced. Great Sun Records release of rare soul/psychedelic singles only 12 dollars. Great Johnny Cash blue vinyl, 12 dollars. Nuggets double album 20 dollars.
Some stuff I didn't get and really wanted included double album with Buddy Guy and Junior Wells outtakes. Great live Muddy Waters.

You have to sift through a lot of stuff, but there are some great things for reasonable prices.

I think there must be a great deal of variation in RSD pricing between stores and maybe cities, too. I saw Ride Em on Down for $24 at one store and $12 at another store in a different--and much more rural--town (I bought the $12 example).

"Nice bit of silk, Em."

Date: March 14, 2017 03:57

Voodookitten76
whitem8
Rockman

I think there must be a great deal of variation in RSD pricing between stores and maybe cities, too. I saw Ride Em on Down for $24 at one store and $12 at another store in a different--and much more rural--town (I bought the $12 example).

I would have liked that in my collection, but $24 for a one sided single was insulting, and I don't think it was a limited edition exclusive for RSD.
Never saw it for much lower than that (Amazon currently has it priced at $19.99 + 3.99 shipping), but would have happily paid $12!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 21, 2017 21:13

The full list of releases: [thevinylfactory.com]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 21, 2017 21:46

Probably not in the market for any, don't see any must-haves.

Items of interest ...

The Cars Live at the Agora, 1978
Steve Earle and the Dukes Live
Spoon Hot Thoughts
Todd Rundgren and Utopia Live at the Fox: 1973

Date: March 21, 2017 23:05

Cristiano Radtke

Thanks Cristiano - I don't see the Germs single or those Kinks singles that were rumoured!
But I see plenty more I might be interested in:

The Congos - Heart Of The Congos (Original Mix) LP
Hopeton Lewis / Vin Gordon & The Supersonics - There She Goes / Reggay Trombone 7"(both unreleased)
Joe Higgs - Invitation To Jamaica 7"
Mark Mothersbaugh (of Devo) - Mutant Flora 6 x 7" (? rectangular vinyl?)
Mungo's Hi Fi ft Johnny Clarke - Rain keeps falling 7"
Pink Floyd - London 1966 / 1967 LP
Revolutionaries - Green Bay Dub LP
Spacemen 3 - For All The F*cked Up Children LP
Spacemen 3- Recurring LP
Spacemen 3 - Playing With Fire LP
Tim Burgess & Peter Gordon - Around EP 12"

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers - Broadcast 65 EP 7"
The Small Faces - The Broadcast 66 EP 7"

Anyone have any idea what these last two are about?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 22, 2017 17:38

Hairball
Cristiano Radtke

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers - Broadcast 65 EP 7"
The Small Faces - The Broadcast 66 EP 7"

Anyone have any idea what these last two are about?

This is what I've found:

The Small Faces – Broadcast 66 EP
Beat! Beat! Beat! was a German rock music show that ran from 1966 to 1969, with The Small Faces show broadcast in September 1966 from the Stadthalle in Offenbach and finds the group at the peak of their career doing versions of their four current hits along with an energetic interview in English and German with Stevie Marriott.

[www.modculture.co.uk]

John Mayall´s Bluesbreakers – Broadcast 65 EP
In November 1965, Jack Bruce briefly stood in for John McVie on bass in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, making a lasting impression on Eric Clapton, who later said of Bruce, 'it was his obvious desire to make the most out of every musical opportunity.... The music, and the experience of playing it, took me to another dimension'. This line-up recorded a live album at the Flamingo, which was scrapped because the quality of the tape was poor. Here though is aural evidence of their early collaboration from a 1965 radio broadcast. Side One: Hideaway (King), Little Girl (Mayall), Side Two: Tears In My Eyes (Mayall), Parchman Farm (Allison).

Date: March 22, 2017 17:47

Thanks Cristiano - both look like keepers. thumbs up
In the case of the Bluesbreakers, if not aurally then for sure historically - earliest glimpse and two thirds of Cream!

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: March 22, 2017 23:09

Try www.1960s.london

Some good sh*t here!

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: March 23, 2017 03:14

Rockman
Record Store day has become a racket

I agree that it's a racket. I have seen many great albums offered for sale on RSD but every year all of the albums I want are all "sold out". Then I see the same albums on eBay with a hefty mark-up.

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: March 23, 2017 04:43

IAN HUNTER
JIMMY PAGE & THE BLACK CROWES
THE THE

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 23, 2017 16:59

RSD is awful. My vav record store gave up long ago with that

Posted by: rgutter ()
Date: March 30, 2017 02:36

Cristiano Radtke
In November 1965, Jack Bruce briefly stood in for John McVie on bass in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, making a lasting impression on Eric Clapton, who later said of Bruce, 'it was his obvious desire to make the most out of every musical opportunity.... The music, and the experience of playing it, took me to another dimension'. This line-up recorded a live album at the Flamingo, which was scrapped because the quality of the tape was poor. Here though is aural evidence of their early collaboration from a 1965 radio broadcast. Side One: Hideaway (King), Little Girl (Mayall), Side Two: Tears In My Eyes (Mayall), Parchman Farm (Allison)
Hairball
In the case of the Bluesbreakers, if not aurally then for sure historically - earliest glimpse and two thirds of Cream!

Only 33.3% Cream, actually.
I noted in another forum that
    [*] This is a February 9 1966 BBC Radio Jazz Beat performance.
    [*] Jack Bruce had been gone for a couple of months.
    [*] The Flamingo recording was never intended for release.

Date: March 30, 2017 03:26

rgutter
Cristiano Radtke
In November 1965, Jack Bruce briefly stood in for John McVie on bass in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, making a lasting impression on Eric Clapton, who later said of Bruce, 'it was his obvious desire to make the most out of every musical opportunity.... The music, and the experience of playing it, took me to another dimension'. This line-up recorded a live album at the Flamingo, which was scrapped because the quality of the tape was poor. Here though is aural evidence of their early collaboration from a 1965 radio broadcast. Side One: Hideaway (King), Little Girl (Mayall), Side Two: Tears In My Eyes (Mayall), Parchman Farm (Allison)
Hairball

Only 33.3% Cream, actually.
I noted in another forum that
    [*] This is a February 9 1966 BBC Radio Jazz Beat performance.
    [*] Jack Bruce had been gone for a couple of months.
    [*] The Flamingo recording was never intended for release.

The official info says:

" This line-up recorded a live album at the Flamingo, which was scrapped because the quality of the tape was poor.
Here though is aural evidence of their early collaboration from a 1965 radio broadcast".

You're saying the official info on this recording wrong?
Is it really a February 9 1966 BBC Radio Jazz Beat performance without Jack Bruce?
If so, the official info. is very misleading.........

Date: April 24, 2017 16:45

What a fun day! But not fun for my credit card! Got all three Bowie releases. STUNNING! The Iggy Pop Post Pop Depression Live at the Albert Hall is amazing. The best looking of the lot. Very impressive release and only 6000 world wide!
I got a great collection called Soul Slab Vol 1 Colemine label from Ohio. All soul, funk, latin beats soul. Interesting and quite fun!
Also the Black Crowes with Jimmy Page, and stellar live version of In the Light!
And Link Wrey Beans and Fatback, what a strange and captivating release! What a fun day it was!

Date: April 25, 2017 07:33

I woke up late saturday morning and forgot it was Record Store Day lol.
Made it there around noon, and my only purchase was a nice box set of Studio One 45's from Soul Jazz Records - not even sure if that was a Record Store Day exclusive, but the price was right! smiling smiley

Edit: Oh my, just did a bit of research (and looking back through this thread) and the box set I bought was indeed an RSD exclusive: thumbs up

Soul Jazz Records Presents:
Studio One Hi-fi Special
ONLY AVAILABLE IN RECORD STORES THIS SAT 22 APRIL
Limited to 500 worldwide.

The greatest Reggae label of all time, Soul Jazz, deliver a seven-inch box set comprising five separate singles featuring ten killer rare collectors tracks from Studio One Records, featuring Ska, Roots, Rocksteady, Dub & more.
Seminal, rare and classic tunes! These singles have only ever ever been available exclusively direct from Soul Jazz Records' Soho shop in London and are available worldwide only for this collectors box set RSD special release.
This unique box-set edition is only available as a one-off pressing especially for Record Store Day 2017.

Tracklisting:
Record 1
A: The Traps - Higher
AA: The Traps & The Liberation Group - Higher (Version)
Record 2
A: Roland Alphonso - Drums Of Fue Man Tru
AA: Tommy McCook & The New Establishment - Blues For I
Record 3
A: Joseph Hill - Behold The Land
AA: Tommy McCook & The Skatalites - Full Dread
Record 4
A: Larry Marshall - I've Got To Make It
AA: The Skatalites - Coconut Rock
Record 5
A: The Magnificent Seven - Jack Johnson
AA: Dobby Johnson - Seems To Me I'm Losing You"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-25 08:07 by Hairball.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1542
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home