Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Biggest Selling Stones single?
Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: April 17, 2017 17:07

I've trolled the net for the better part of 30 minutes and have been unable to come up with the answer! I'm guessing HTW or Jumpin' Jack Flash. Can anybody help ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-18 11:44 by bv.

Re: BIGGEST SELLING SINGLE ?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 17, 2017 17:43

satisfaction, as in i can't get any.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: April 18, 2017 00:36

Miss you?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 18, 2017 00:44

•Zsa Zsa Gabor ..... 9 times ..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: April 18, 2017 01:02

Good one Rockman! I was thinking of the person that was with Jerry Lee Lewis and later Robert Blake! As to the actual question though, I think that it would be impossible to find out an answer. 45 RPM singles were issued around the globe at that time in numerous countries and with who knows what accuracy as to sales units. I vote for a tie.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 18, 2017 01:59

KingmanBarstow
I vote for a tie.

But which one?

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: April 18, 2017 02:19

I'll go for Made In The Shade please and thank you!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 18, 2017 02:30

KingmanBarstow
I'll go for Made In The Shade please and thank you!

indeed and without the painted on bathing suit

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 18, 2017 09:58

Winning Ugly and Under The Boardwalk

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 18, 2017 10:05

I would guess either Miss You or Start Me Up, both huge summer singles in 78 and 81.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 18, 2017 10:12

Pretty sure this has been discussed here before. Feel free to use the search function trying to find it smiling smiley

Date: April 18, 2017 10:34

Miss You, Angie, Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women, Ruby Tuesday, Paint It, Black, Get Off Of My Cloud and Satisfaction were the only ones that topped the US charts.

It's surely one of those tracks. Miss You, followed by Angie, stayed the longest in the charts of the #1 songs (20 and 16 weeks)

SMU never topped the Billboard Hot 100, although it stayed in the charts for 24 weeks.

[www.billboard.com]

In the UK, The Last Time, GOOMC and Miss You all stayed at #1 longer than Satisfaction did. HTW stayed the longest in the charts..

[www.officialcharts.com]

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: April 18, 2017 11:17

Bill Wyman writes in one of his books that "Miss You" and "Angie" are the band's two best selling singles ever. This claim is backed up by stats from the RIAA (US) and the Official Charts (UK).

According to the RIAA, "Satisfaction", "Angie" and "Miss You" are the only Stones singles that sold more than 500,000 copies in the US (Gold certification).

In UK, only "Brown Sugar", "Angie" and "Miss You" have been awarded with Silver certification (200,000 or more copies sold). No one sold to gold (400,000 or more). PS: Dancing in the Street with Jagger/Bowie sold almost half a million copies in the UK, making it the best selling single With a stone in UK.

This is the closest we get to exact numbers I guess.

Date: April 18, 2017 11:21

The Worst.
Bill Wyman writes in one of his books that "Miss You" and "Angie" are the band's two best selling singles ever. This claim is backed up by stats from the RIAA (US) and the Official Charts (UK).

According to the RIAA, "Satisfaction", "Angie" and "Miss You" are the only Stones singles that sold more than 500,000 copies in the US (Gold certification).

In UK, only "Brown Sugar", "Angie" and "Miss You" have been awarded with Silver certification (200,000 or more copies sold). No one sold to gold (400,000 or more). PS: Dancing in the Street with Jagger/Bowie sold almost half a million copies in the UK, making it the best selling single With a stone in UK.

Just out of curiousity, how did State Of Shock do?

Date: April 18, 2017 11:30

I can't find any stats on "State of Shock" by Mick, Freddie and Michael (Guess that's the one you're thinking of?)

But the original by The Jacksons sold more than half a million copies in US (and so did Ted Nugent's "State of Shock" too btw).

EDIT: "State of Shock" by Jackson/Jagger peaked at 14 in UK and stayed in the charts for 10 weeks. Don't know about the sales numbers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-18 11:35 by The Worst..

Date: April 18, 2017 12:14

The Worst.
I can't find any stats on "State of Shock" by Mick, Freddie and Michael (Guess that's the one you're thinking of?)

But the original by The Jacksons sold more than half a million copies in US (and so did Ted Nugent's "State of Shock" too btw).

EDIT: "State of Shock" by Jackson/Jagger peaked at 14 in UK and stayed in the charts for 10 weeks. Don't know about the sales numbers.

Thanks. It was never released as a Freddie/Michael-single, I believe..

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 18, 2017 12:26

DandelionPowderman
The Worst.

"State Of Shock" was released as a Jacksons record with the sleeve saying "Lead vocals by Michael Jackson and Mick Jagger". The label just credits the Jacksons.
[www.45cat.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-18 12:27 by Deltics.

Date: April 18, 2017 12:34

Deltics
DandelionPowderman
The Worst.

"State Of Shock" was released as a Jacksons record with the sleeve saying "Lead vocals by Michael Jackson and Mick Jagger". The label just credits the Jacksons.
[www.45cat.com]

Mick wanted it on his own album as well, if memory serves.

So it must be one of the biggest-selling Stones-related singles ever?

Re: Biggest Selling Stones single?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 18, 2017 16:42

Miss You sold 3.4 million copies, their biggest selling single upon release.

Their biggest selling track is Paint It, Black at 15+million copies.

1 1966 Paint It Black [Aftermath] – 15,370,000
2 1965 (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction [Out Of Our Heads] – 14,630,000
3 1981 Start Me Up [Tattoo You] – 13,570,000

[chartmasters.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-19 05:49 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 18, 2017 18:55

DandelionPowderman
The Worst.

I was one of the very few who bought the State of Shock 7" vinyl single !!! smiling smiley

edit: Just read the follow up posts and see it sold many, so now I don't feel so all alone! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-18 18:58 by Hairball.

Date: April 18, 2017 19:26

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
The Worst.

I was one of the very few who bought the State of Shock 7" vinyl single !!! smiling smiley

edit: Just read the follow up posts and see it sold many, so now I don't feel so all alone! thumbs up

grinning smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 19, 2017 05:28

GasLightStreet
Miss You sold 3.4 million copies, their biggest selling single upon release.

Their biggest selling track is Pain It, Black at 15+million copies.

1 1966 Paint It Black [Aftermath] – 15,370,000
2 1965 (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction [Out Of Our Heads] – 14,630,000
3 1981 Start Me Up [Tattoo You] – 13,570,000

[chartmasters.org]
OK, so what is their biggest selling B-side: Stupid Girl or Far Away Eyes?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 19, 2017 05:39

Their biggest selling B Side would be RT, which was #1 and beat out the A Side LSTNT which u.s. charted highest at #20.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-19 05:40 by hopkins.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 19, 2017 05:50

hopkins
Their biggest selling B Side would be RT, which was #1 and beat out the A Side LSTNT which u.s. charted highest at #20.
But the biggest selling single at time of release was Miss You, at 3.4 million.

That means the B-side sold the same amount.

To date, Ruby Tuesday has sold 3,070,000, according to stats fdrom the above posted link -- so not the biggest selling B-side, either at time of release or overall.

It's still between Stupid Girl and Far Away Eyes.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 19, 2017 06:46

DandelionPowderman

While Mick brought Dave Jerden along from his solo sessions to engineer "State of Shock," there was never a chance for it to be on Mick's album the following year. Contractually, Mick was tied to Atlantic and EMI through December 1984. "State of Shock" and the VICTORY LP carry acknowledgements to Atlantic and EMI (in North America or the rest of the world, respectively) for Mick's participation. It was also on Epic Records, rather than the main Columbia imprint since the race boundaries were (unbelievably) still in effect three decades ago.

The fact that Mick was under contract to EMI and Atlantic at the time are also why there was no music video produced and why it couldn't be billed as a single by The Jacksons and Mick Jagger as artists.

And to The Worst, there was only one "State of Shock" commercially released. Most (if not all) of the bootlegs claiming to be Freddie Mercury and Michael on vocals are just low fidelity versions of the official single with Mick, not Freddie. The same sources that claim Freddie co-wrote the song under the pseudonym of Randy Hansen aren't aware that it is the guitarist Randy Hansen (the Minstrel Show Hendrix) who co-wrote the song, though he doesn't play on it - Earl Slick is playing on the track. Much like how Carlos Alomar doesn't play on the two songs he's credited with co-writing on SHE'S THE BOSS, Jeff Beck is playing. Carlos, incidentally, claims to have co-written seven songs for the album with Mick, but was only credited on two. Unlike Marti Fredericksen who claims he was paid for co-writing most of GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY with the understanding he would receive no credits for his songwriting contributions. I've always wondered what Matt Clifford made of that claim. I certainly can believe Clifford wrote or co-wrote enough of the melodies just as I did with Jimmy Rip for WANDERING SPIRIT. Alas, I'm off-topic again, but the Jagger Solo Works thread is far too uncivil for such speculation.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 19, 2017 07:31

There's a bunch of the Freddie Mercury/Michael Jackson version videos on youtube:

Michael Jackson & Freddie Mercury - State of Shock

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-19 07:32 by Hairball.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 19, 2017 09:02

Rocky Dijon
DandelionPowderman

While Mick brought Dave Jerden along from his solo sessions to engineer "State of Shock," there was never a chance for it to be on Mick's album the following year. Contractually, Mick was tied to Atlantic and EMI through December 1984. "State of Shock" and the VICTORY LP carry acknowledgements to Atlantic and EMI (in North America or the rest of the world, respectively) for Mick's participation. It was also on Epic Records, rather than the main Columbia imprint since the race boundaries were (unbelievably) still in effect three decades ago.

The fact that Mick was under contract to EMI and Atlantic at the time are also why there was no music video produced and why it couldn't be billed as a single by The Jacksons and Mick Jagger as artists.

And to The Worst, there was only one "State of Shock" commercially released. Most (if not all) of the bootlegs claiming to be Freddie Mercury and Michael on vocals are just low fidelity versions of the official single with Mick, not Freddie. The same sources that claim Freddie co-wrote the song under the pseudonym of Randy Hansen aren't aware that it is the guitarist Randy Hansen (the Minstrel Show Hendrix) who co-wrote the song, though he doesn't play on it - Earl Slick is playing on the track. Much like how Carlos Alomar doesn't play on the two songs he's credited with co-writing on SHE'S THE BOSS, Jeff Beck is playing. Carlos, incidentally, claims to have co-written seven songs for the album with Mick, but was only credited on two. Unlike Marti Fredericksen who claims he was paid for co-writing most of GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY with the understanding he would receive no credits for his songwriting contributions. I've always wondered what Matt Clifford made of that claim. I certainly can believe Clifford wrote or co-wrote enough of the melodies just as I did with Jimmy Rip for WANDERING SPIRIT. Alas, I'm off-topic again, but the Jagger Solo Works thread is far too uncivil for such speculation.

God I feel pretty foolish not knowing this; pretty venal stuff...
Did Mick even write my favorite MJ song?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-19 09:04 by hopkins.

Date: April 19, 2017 12:06

GasLight: Are you sure about those numbers? The sales figures listed in the comment sections on that blog seems to be extremely over-exaggerated. On what basis can the poster claim such impressive numbers? I can’t believe “Paint it Black” has sold 15 million physical copies. That would place it on the top 10 list of the bestselling singles of all time, but there’s no way “Paint it Black” has sold more copies than “White Christmas” or “Candle in the Wind”.

But perhaps the list you provide include digital sales, streaming and downloading history as well? That may be more believable, but it’s hard to estimate. I know “Paint it Black” allegedly has been played 88 million times on Spotify, but it’s always difficult to trust internet hit numbers for songs and videos due to digital bots who constantly keeps clicking and hitting. It’s called “click fraud” in the business. Spotify, Tidal and Randolph all went to court last year. According to a report, the industry estimated a loss of $7,2 BILLION due to paying advertising and royalties’ costs due to fake bots pretending to be real customers. Point is, never ever trust listed view and plays on youtube, spotify etc.

[qz.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-19 12:11 by The Worst..

Date: April 19, 2017 12:22

The Worst.
GasLight: Are you sure about those numbers? The sales figures listed in the comment sections on that blog seems to be extremely over-exaggerated. On what basis can the poster claim such impressive numbers? I can’t believe “Paint it Black” has sold 15 million physical copies. That would place it on the top 10 list of the bestselling singles of all time, but there’s no way “Paint it Black” has sold more copies than “White Christmas” or “Candle in the Wind”.

But perhaps the list you provide include digital sales, streaming and downloading history as well? That may be more believable, but it’s hard to estimate. I know “Paint it Black” allegedly has been played 88 million times on Spotify, but it’s always difficult to trust internet hit numbers for songs and videos due to digital bots who constantly keeps clicking and hitting. It’s called “click fraud” in the business. Spotify, Tidal and Randolph all went to court last year. According to a report, the industry estimated a loss of $7,2 BILLION due to paying advertising and royalties’ costs due to fake bots pretending to be real customers. Point is, never ever trust listed view and plays on youtube, spotify etc.

[qz.com]

It probably hasn't. The sales of Paint It, Black took off after they started counting streaming as sales.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 19, 2017 14:07

Rocky Dijon
DandelionPowderman

That is such a shame, since you are bringing up very interesting stuff.

- Doxa

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home