Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O.T. Going to Dublin, Ireland in June: Suggestions?
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 5, 2017 21:24

Things are kind of slow in terms of Stones news, so I though I might enlist your suggestions. I have never been to Ireland. Flying Ethiopian Airlines, there is a stop in Dublin from Addis Ababa to LAX. So, my wife and I are going to spend 5 nights there. I know we want to see Dublin, but also the Irish countryside, taking several day trips. Knowing that we have only 5 full days there, please offer suggestions on the "must see, must do" things, and on some of the more hidden, off-the-beaten-path things.

Thanks to you all.

Re: O.T. Going to Dublin, Ireland in June
Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: April 6, 2017 01:42

If you're going to be there at the beginning of the month there's the Rory Gallager International Festival in Ballyshannon, County Donegal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-06 01:42 by ElGeordie.

Re: O.T. Going to Dublin, Ireland in June: Suggestions?
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 6, 2017 04:10

Get drunk smileys with beer

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 6, 2017 09:32

DaveG
Things are kind of slow in terms of Stones news, so I though I might enlist your suggestions. I have never been to Ireland. Flying Ethiopian Airlines, there is a stop in Dublin from Addis Ababa to LAX. So, my wife and I are going to spend 5 nights there. I know we want to see Dublin, but also the Irish countryside, taking several day trips. Knowing that we have only 5 full days there, please offer suggestions on the "must see, must do" things, and on some of the more hidden, off-the-beaten-path things.

Thanks to you all.

The Winslow Mountains ,near Dublin, are beautiful. Good place to walk and enjoy the nature. after that, a few Pints of Guiness, maybe??
jeroen

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 6, 2017 11:02

walk around ta Gazza's home ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 6, 2017 11:53

DaveG

Thanks to you all.

Countryside ? Why do you think it's the 'Emerald' Isle ? All that grass is green for a reason. Umbrella !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 6, 2017 13:47

Treat yourself and go to Ballybunion

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: April 6, 2017 15:08

My wife and I spent three nights there last summer. Lovely city!

Here are some suggestions:

VISIT the Temple Bar area, but don't plan on spending more time than walking around a bit and having a Guinness or two. The locals will be the first to tell you that it is mostly a "tourist" site. As for music, you have a better chance of hearing someone play a John Denver song than listening to more genuine Irish music.

A much better (and more out of the way) place for music and drinks is a pub called O'Shea's Merchant. Great music (and Irish dancing on Monday night....you WILL be pulled out on to the floor to participate!), friendly staff.

If you like steak, you can't go wrong at the Cock and Bull.

Whatever you do, don't miss touring Guinness, a wonderful place to check out.

As for history, you need to at least walk around Trinity College. The students do a nice tour, and the old library is something to see. The Book of Kells is interesting for about two minutes ("so.....THAT'S the Book of Kells? Very interesting. OK, NOW where are we going?")

A final suggestion is that we did a marvelous day trip up to Northern Ireland, including a fascinating Black Cab tour of Belfast, the Giant's Causeway (possibly the most beautiful place I've ever seen), and the Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge (fun!)

Most of all, have a great time. Slainte!!

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: April 7, 2017 02:21

jameson distillery, bow st., dublin.
visit phoenix park, too. largest park in europe.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: April 7, 2017 05:24

Go to o'donaghues pub for music. Traditional sets of good music & good pints. Stay one night in Dublin & head out west or up to Belfast

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 7, 2017 07:56

West Coast is great, drive the ring of Kerry or the Ring of Dingle. And yes, if you have the time, get up to Belfast!

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 7, 2017 10:55

Phil Lynott's grave. A lot of Civil War stuff. If musically inclined, there is a U2 website that details all their old haunts. Belfast, definitely. You can actually stay in rooms on the Trinity grounds (I did), but Airbnb is probably cheaper. Drinking Guinness in Ireland is a bit of a cliché, imo. If it's not much more expensive, just stay on the plane and hang in Addis for 5 days. Very cool.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 7, 2017 13:56

Take a raincoat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2040
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home