Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Question on Pink Floyd (specifically the relationship between Roger and David)
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 12, 2011 05:06

I'm sure the chance of the last three remaining members of Pink Floyd ever reuniting for new music and/or a farewell tour is remote, to say the least...

...but I'm curious about the feelings between Gilmour and Waters. I know they've performed a few times in the last seven years (Live8 in '05, for a Palestinian children's charity in '09, and at the O2 earlier this year for Waters' Wall concert)...

...but David always looks very uneasy, while Roger seems quite pleased and wants to be friendly.

I know that Roger was a seriously egomaniacal prick back in the day, and really burned his bridges, but he seems to have mellowed out a lot with age and wants to re-embrace Floyd, while David seems happy just doing his own thing and appears to still be very wary, and is justifiably hurt over what happened.

Is my interpretation accurate?

Re: Question on Pink Floyd (specifically the relationship between Roger and David)
Date: October 12, 2011 06:05

on the nose. lot's of tension there with david, roger seems cool with it though.

Re: Question on Pink Floyd (specifically the relationship between Roger and David)
Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 12, 2011 09:34

I recall reading in one of the recent interviews on them that, when they played together at Live 8, Waters wanted to dictate the set list. Gilmour reminded him that Waters had quit in '85 and was guesting with what was at that point Gilmour's and Mason's band. They worked out the final set list together.

Gilmour has stated that he had a great time doing his last solo tour without all the baggage of the Pink Floyd name (even though Rick Wright was in his band) and that he's not particularly eager to do another stadium tour. Waters, on the other hand, is taking The Wall to stadiums next year.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 12, 2011 11:26

Gilmour doesn't seem eager to do much of anything. He's always been lazy. What has he done in the last 17 years? One album, and one very short tour. I think he played 12 shows.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 12, 2011 12:25

tatters
Gilmour doesn't seem eager to do much of anything. He's always been lazy. What has he done in the last 17 years? One album, and one very short tour. I think he played 12 shows.

That's absolutely true. Three studio albums in 24 years says it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-12 12:27 by Nikolai.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 12, 2011 19:05

Nikolai
tatters

Then again, what new music has Waters done in the last 20 years? An unlistenable rock album, Amused to Death, and an opera, Ca Ira, that I couldn't even get all the way through once. All he's otherwise done is flog his old catalog relentlessly.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: October 12, 2011 19:37

I don't know about lazy (it's possible) but Gilmour has always been family oriented rather than super ambitious. I remember an interviewer from Creem said to him "I always got the feeling you wanted to be doing more," - like more touring, recording with different people. Gilmour said no, quite the opposite - once you have children, you want to stay close to home.

I think the first poster is right on about the relationship. Roger has had a change of heart and personality, but it's too late.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: October 12, 2011 19:55

tatters

You have a lot of cheek to say David Gilmour has "always been lazy."

You know how many shows the AMLOR tour from 87-89 was? Two @#$%& hundred! You know what a grind that is, show after show, year after year?

The On An Island tour brought out Rick Wright for the last time, not to mention Crosby and Nash, gave us old gems like Wot's the Deal and Fat Old Sun, not to mention some hoary Barrett classics, one sung by none other than David Bowie! Lest we forget he played the full Echoes! Twelve shows on the OAI tour? My ass:

Tour Dates, more to be added soon!

10 March Konzerthaus, Dortmund, Germany
11 March Congress Centrum Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
15 March Le Grand Rex, Paris, France
16 March L’Olympia, Paris, France
18 March Alte Oper, Frankfurt, Germany
19 March Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, Netherlands
20 March Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, Netherlands
24 March Teatro Arcimboldi, Milan, Italy
25 March Teatro Arcimboldi, Milan, Italy
26 March Sala Santa Cecilia, Auditorium Parco Della Musica, Rome, Italy
4 April Radio City Music Hall, New York, USA
5 April Radio City Music Hall, New York, USA
9 April Massey Hall, Toronto, Canada
10 April Massey Hall, Toronto, Canada
12 April Rosemont Theatre, Chicago, USA
13 April Rosemont Theatre, Chicago, USA
16 April Oakland Paramount, San Francisco, USA
17 April Oakland Paramount, San Francisco, USA
19 April Kodak Theatre, Los Angeles, USA
20 April Gibson Amphitheatre, Los Angeles, USA
26 May Bridgewater Hall, Manchester, England
27 May Clyde Auditorium, Glasgow, Scotland
29 May Royal Albert Hall, London, England
30 May Royal Albert Hall, London, England
31 May Royal Albert Hall, London, England
27 July Nr. Linz, Clam Castle, Austria
29 July München (Munich), Konigsplatz, Germany
31 July Vienne (south of Lyon), Théâtre Antique, France
02 August, Italy Firenze (Florence) Piazza San Croce
11 August 4th Italy Venezia (Venice) Piazza San Marco
12 August Italy Venezia (Venice) Piazza San Marco
26 August Poland Gdansk shipyards

What did he get for it all? Enough money never to have to work again, much less with the likes of Roger Waters!

Hmmph! Do some @#$%& research or STFU.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: October 12, 2011 20:28

Relax Mr. Zackass

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: October 12, 2011 20:50

Claire_M
I don't know about lazy (it's possible) but Gilmour has always been family oriented rather than super ambitious. I remember an interviewer from Creem said to him "I always got the feeling you wanted to be doing more," - like more touring, recording with different people. Gilmour said no, quite the opposite - once you have children, you want to stay close to home.

I think the first poster is right on about the relationship. Roger has had a change of heart and personality, but it's too late.

I think they're right, but there's a little more to it. I get the impression that David has been burnt too many times by Roger being an a-hole, and at this point/age in his life he's not interested in another go around of new Floyd album and tour, or even just a tour. He's done all that many times over, and isn't into it anymore. I also get the impression that David and the others aren't entirely without blame either.

Also, he says he and Roger will get together for something, like the benefit they performed at, and it will be fine between them. He said they even got totally drunk together afterward. Then Roger won't stay in touch, and vice-versa. But he kind of gives the impression that if Roger did stay in touch, he'd be receptive.

The Oct. 13th issue of Rolling Stone has a pretty good cover story on Dark Side Of The Moon that explains everything in more detail.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 13, 2011 04:33

bustedtrousers
Claire_M

I think they're right, but there's a little more to it. I get the impression that David has been burnt too many times by Roger being an a-hole, and at this point/age in his life he's not interested in another go around of new Floyd album and tour, or even just a tour. He's done all that many times over, and isn't into it anymore. I also get the impression that David and the others aren't entirely without blame either.

Also, he says he and Roger will get together for something, like the benefit they performed at, and it will be fine between them. He said they even got totally drunk together afterward. Then Roger won't stay in touch, and vice-versa. But he kind of gives the impression that if Roger did stay in touch, he'd be receptive.

The Oct. 13th issue of Rolling Stone has a pretty good cover story on Dark Side Of The Moon that explains everything in more detail.
I actually just found and read the article shortly after posting my original question.

I agree with what you said...Roger seems to still be egotistical...like he JUST CAN'T HELP IT. It's just the way he is.

Still much more mellow than he used to be, but I can see how he'd inadvertently rub David the wrong way, even after all these years.

But yeah, I'm sure Gilmour isn't a saint in all this either.

It's a shame...I get tears in my eyes every time I watch the Live8 performance of Comfortably Numb, mostly because it's still so beautiful, and I'll never have gotten a chance to see the proper Floyd perform.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: October 13, 2011 05:55

The recent issue of Rolling Stone with interviews of them both should give you a good idea of their relationship. Basically, it's good, it's better than it was, but it's not like they spend a lot of time thinking of each other.

Date: October 13, 2011 13:02

Zack
tatters

You have a lot of cheek to say David Gilmour has "always been lazy."

You know how many shows the AMLOR tour from 87-89 was? Two @#$%& hundred! You know what a grind that is, show after show, year after year?

The On An Island tour brought out Rick Wright for the last time, not to mention Crosby and Nash, gave us old gems like Wot's the Deal and Fat Old Sun, not to mention some hoary Barrett classics, one sung by none other than David Bowie! Lest we forget he played the full Echoes! Twelve shows on the OAI tour? My ass:

Tour Dates, more to be added soon!

10 March Konzerthaus, Dortmund, Germany
11 March Congress Centrum Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
15 March Le Grand Rex, Paris, France
16 March L’Olympia, Paris, France
18 March Alte Oper, Frankfurt, Germany
19 March Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, Netherlands
20 March Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, Netherlands
24 March Teatro Arcimboldi, Milan, Italy
25 March Teatro Arcimboldi, Milan, Italy
26 March Sala Santa Cecilia, Auditorium Parco Della Musica, Rome, Italy
4 April Radio City Music Hall, New York, USA
5 April Radio City Music Hall, New York, USA
9 April Massey Hall, Toronto, Canada
10 April Massey Hall, Toronto, Canada
12 April Rosemont Theatre, Chicago, USA
13 April Rosemont Theatre, Chicago, USA
16 April Oakland Paramount, San Francisco, USA
17 April Oakland Paramount, San Francisco, USA
19 April Kodak Theatre, Los Angeles, USA
20 April Gibson Amphitheatre, Los Angeles, USA
26 May Bridgewater Hall, Manchester, England
27 May Clyde Auditorium, Glasgow, Scotland
29 May Royal Albert Hall, London, England
30 May Royal Albert Hall, London, England
31 May Royal Albert Hall, London, England
27 July Nr. Linz, Clam Castle, Austria
29 July München (Munich), Konigsplatz, Germany
31 July Vienne (south of Lyon), Théâtre Antique, France
02 August, Italy Firenze (Florence) Piazza San Croce
11 August 4th Italy Venezia (Venice) Piazza San Marco
12 August Italy Venezia (Venice) Piazza San Marco
26 August Poland Gdansk shipyards

What did he get for it all? Enough money never to have to work again, much less with the likes of Roger Waters!

One tour in 17 years hardly makes him a workaholic, especially if the only reason he did it was to make enough money never to have to do it again. Some rich people continue to work just because they like to work.

Date: October 13, 2011 13:49

ab
Nikolai
tatters

Then again, what new music has Waters done in the last 20 years? An unlistenable rock album, Amused to Death, and an opera, Ca Ira, that I couldn't even get all the way through once. All he's otherwise done is flog his old catalog relentlessly.

Yeah, the Floyds have never been particularly prolific. Remember the two-and-a-half-year wait between Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here? That was an eternity between albums in those days, and really marked the beginning of artists taking longer and longer between new releases.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1793
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home