Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Woody Woodmansey's Holy Holy at The Bridgewater Hall, Tuesday 28th March 2017.
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: March 29, 2017 13:04

Hello,

I was really looking forward to this show and had bought the tickets pretty much as soon as they went on sale last year: my anticipation only grew after hearing Woody speak for an hour or so at The Louder Than Words festival last November- as fine a raconteur as a drummer. He was also good enough to listen to me ramble on for a good minute and then shake his hand for the inevitable photo op, hah-hah!

The band played in Glasgow the previous night and unfortunately not all the reviews or comments made for pleasant reading: complaints ranged from the seating at the venue, to Glen Gregory's ragged vocals, the band missing some cues and the sound being less-than-ideal. I know that not every show can be a '10', but equally you certainly don't want to be taken for a mug either, especially at £45 a pop!
Another IORRian (Guess Who) was there in Glasgow and was able to give a balanced view of that show- thanks G!). Secretly I just hoped that they could produce an evening half as great as Earl Slick's crew 'Station To Station' show last April: that was perhaps my favourite concert in 2016. No pressure then lads...

Before they even played or sang a note at 8.45pm they were given a partial standing ovation and the full house made a great racket...cue smiles all round! Glen Gregory's voice was fine and he was a bundle of energy for the 105 minutes, covering the stage, twirling the mic stand, smiling and laughing with the other six band-members. No problems there then!

The other thrill was seeing Tony Visconti on bass- he cut a very cool figure in white and although he was concentrating during each number, he shared some laughs and gave a few 'thumbs ups' after a some songs. Same could be said for Woody, who is in terrfic shape and gave a lovely speech in front of the band right at the end of the show before making himself available to sign anything and everything after the show. Apparenty the queue was about 400 yards long, hah-hah!

The band did let a couple of endings peter-out but there certainly were no trainwrecks thankfully: it was such a thrill to hear these numbers played live. Imagine the shimmering acoustic intro to 'Starman' and it's goose-bumps time...there were any number of those moments. It was a privilege to have enjoyed it...cheers!

The Width of a Circle
Five Years
Soul Love
Moonage Daydream
Starman
It Ain't Easy
Lady Stardust
Star
Hang On to Yourself
Ziggy Stardust
Suffragette City
Rock 'n' Roll Suicide
Medley: Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud / All the Young Dudes / Oh! You Pretty Things
Changes
Life on Mars?
Space Oddity
Black Country Rock
The Supermen
The Man Who Sold the World
Watch That Man

Encore:

Time
Heroes

[www.youtube.com]

Cheers,

Simon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-29 18:45 by SimonN.

Re: O/T Woody Woodmansey's Holy Holy at The Bridgewater Hall, Tuesday 28th March 2017.
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 29, 2017 15:46

Looked like a great show when it was in New York. I actually wanted to go BEFORE Bowie died (they were playing like on his birthday in the city) but ended up not. Then he died and I was like "I can't believe I didn't go". Then they played New York again two weeks later as a tribute to Bowie and I was dying to go but couldn't get off work. But looks like a great show. Playing all of my favorite Bowie stuff, with the original drummer and Visconti? I would absolutely be there if I could. Its basically like the perfect setlist. Glad you had fun.

Re: O/T Woody Woodmansey's Holy Holy at The Bridgewater Hall, Tuesday 28th March 2017.
Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: March 29, 2017 17:40

Fantastic setlist. I hope they come to my town one day. Who played guitar and how did they compare to the great Mick Ronson ?

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: March 29, 2017 18:44

Hi RF & Bungo,

Go see, if you can...I'm giving you a 'money back if not 100% delighted' guarantee on this one!

The band (apart from the two principals) is Glen Gregory on lead vocals, Berenice Scott on keyboards, Jessica Lee Morgan on acoustic guitar and sax (not at the same time...alright, I'll get my coat!), on right-handed Les Paul James Stevenson and on left-handed LP Paul Cuddeford. Pretty much all the band helped with the backing vocals at some point, minus Woody...although he sang the songs anyway!

The guitarists almost always nailed all the fluorishes and did their best to recreate the sounds of those terrific songs: I could ask for no more. Except to see them again, hah-hah!

Cheers,

Simon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-29 18:49 by SimonN.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 29, 2017 22:46

Yeah, I'm not surprised its really good. Just to see Woody would be enough. To see him playing peak era Bowie is just a bonus. Seeing it done well is a dream, but expected if Visconti is on board. Damn work the second time and my friends the first telling me "what's the point with no Bowie?" I knew I was right. If it comes around again I'll definitely change plans to catch it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1949
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home