Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Rolling Stones Reggae tunes
Posted by: Mickjagg65 ()
Date: February 7, 2010 06:31

So I just booked a trip to jamaica and to get myself in the mood I'm looking to put a cd together of the stones doing reggae and was wondering if anyone has a solid track listing to share. I've heard most of the boys tunes but definitly looking for a comprehensive track listing including their solo work which I'm not nearly as familiar with. Thanks!

Then I said Hi, like a spider to a fly...

Re: Rolling Stones Reggae tunes
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: February 7, 2010 10:03

Mickjagg65
So I just booked a trip to jamaica and to get myself in the mood I'm looking to put a cd together of the stones doing reggae and was wondering if anyone has a solid track listing to share. I've heard most of the boys tunes but definitly looking for a comprehensive track listing including their solo work which I'm not nearly as familiar with. Thanks!

If you're going to Jamaica you ought to listen to the real deal, don't you think?

Check out this thread:

[www.iorr.org]

Date: February 7, 2010 10:22

Good words Nikolai. If one needs to stick with Jamaican music with Stones connection I would go with Keith's produced "Wingless Angels", which isn;t reggae at all, but wonderful.

I have a question: in the IORR thread that Nikolai links, there are many suggestions by people. I am looking for a collection, a multi disc set of Early reggae. Like late 60's and mid 70's. What should I get? real true stuff.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 7, 2010 11:08

I agree with the suggestion of 'real stuff', but on your way you can warm yourself with these bastard childs of it...

These songs, at least, have a Jamaican or Caribbean flavor (all not exactly reggae, but more kind of ska, rock steady, roots reggae, "but they are all same shit", as one would say):

"Luxury"
"Cherry Oh Baby"
"Hey Negrita"
"Crackin' Up" (live)
"Everything's Turning to Gold"
"Send It to Me"
"Indian Girl"
"Think I'm Going Mad"
"Feel on Baby"
"Too Rude"
"You Don't Have to Mean It"

Keith's "Words of Wonder" from is perhaps the most 'authentic', and of course, "Harder They Come". I need to mention Ronnie's "I Can Feel the Fire" too -the new rhythmical elements - as "Luxury" too - have earlĂ­est adaptations of Jamaican sounds to rock music. If'reggae' category is taken very simply as school books for beginners suggest, perhaps "Send it to Me" is the only 'real' reggae tune.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-07 11:45 by Doxa.

Date: February 7, 2010 11:12

Ah - that's a cool suggestion, Palace. Wingless Angels is just great. I listen to it every Sunday. Beautiful beautiful album.

Right - reggae compilations I'd suggest are:

Tighten Up (Volumes 1 -4) - Every one of a certain age (i.e: over 40) who was into reggae in the UK had these (especially the first two). The Specials virtually founded their career on Volume 1. Not a dull moment. Covers 1968-1974. Trojan also do individual boxsets covering various genre - Roots, Dub, Lovers Rock and much much more. Very cheap.

Then ...

Tougher Than Tough: The story of Jamaican Music (1958-1993) - Mango/Island. 4 CDs. Not definitive, by any means, but it will give you a great aural overview of the genre's development.

Rebel Music: An Anthology of Reggae Music - Trojan - covers Roots. Includes tracks by Gregory Isaacs, I Roy, U Roy, Dennis Brown, The Heptones, Peter Tosh,Keith Hudson and many many more. Covers 1970-75

Mojo Rock Steady - compilation of Studio One classics from 1966-73.

The Frontline Box Set - Compilation of Virgin's reggae label. Very very good, although reggae purists (such as John Lydon - Johnny Rotten) will say that Virgin were a poor man's Island when it came to reggae. I disagree. They put out some great stuff.

Arkology - Lee Scratch Perry. Right, I'm a HUGE Lee Perry fan, so I'm including this. There are several LP box sets out there, several of them essential (The Complete Upsetter singles comes to mind), but his is a really great introduction to some of the most innovative and influential sounds ever. Dub.

Hope this helps.

Date: February 7, 2010 11:18

Doxa, you forgot "Luxury". Which I think is one of the worst ever Stones songs. grinning smiley At least Send It To Me is funny.

"Emotional Rescue" could, at a push, lay claim to being disco with dub undertones. I think the song was the blueprint for most of Undercover.

Date: February 7, 2010 11:32

Nikolai
Doxa, you forgot "Luxury". Which I think is one of the worst ever Stones songs. grinning smiley At least Send It To Me is funny.

"Emotional Rescue" could, at a push, lay claim to being disco with dub undertones. I think the song was the blueprint for most of Undercover.

Aah, just included it!

- Doxa

Re: reggae-flavoured Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 7, 2010 11:33

edit: i type too slow :E

the trouble with trying to make a "definitive list" is that people have really varied notions
of what counts as reggae-flavoured. i remember an old thread where some people were calling
anything vaguely south-of-the-US-border-sounding "reggae", but that's what happens when you start classifying music.

but we can do it again, why not. sticking just to officially-released stuff until further notice:
for me Luxury sounds more calypso-tinted than reggae-flavoured, but if i don't list it someone else will :E
Cherry Oh Baby
reggae flavouring is one of the ingredients in Hey Negrita
same with Crackin' Up (the LYL rendition, not the 1964 BBC rendition)
The Harder They Come
Send It to Me
Too Rude
Words of Wonder (on Keith's Main Offender)
You Don't Have to Mean It

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-07 11:35 by with sssoul.

Date: February 7, 2010 11:44

with sssoul, yeah, "Tooo Rude" and "Crackin' Up" will make the list!

Very true what you say of the problems concerning 'definitive lists'. I usually adapt more liberal than 'pure' attitude.

- Doxa

Date: February 7, 2010 12:07

Funny though, just thinking of some of these songs, especially 'Ronnie-ones', such as "Feel the Fire", "Hey Negrita", "Turning to Gold" - in each of case they seem to rhythmically derive, at least partly, from the 70's black funk music, but not really getting there. They end up sounding more relaxed, lazier, sloppier...

At the same time, the Jamaican musicians - or a bit earlier - were also making their own interpration of black r&b music, including the funky rhythms, and thereby finding a voice of their own, one of them being the simple reggae beat that conquored the world in the 70's - but there were (earlier) forms like rock steady and ska as well that have more direct connection to the current black music in the US. (It looks like that the US->Jamaica influence is sometimes underestimated in the history of reggae and Jamaican music by rock journalists who have tendency to emphasize 'authenticity'.)

So perhaps the Stones end up sounding like some Jamaicans is more a co-incidence. The idiosyncracies of these white guys were quite similar than idionsyncaries of Jamaicans... Perhaps it is the ganja that makes it... Kaya Kaya... both of them are way too lazy and sloppy to be proper funk musicians...smoking smiley

- Doxa

Date: February 7, 2010 14:28

Good morning and thank you guys. I'm going to listen to the real deal as well I just wanted to make myself a stones cd with the flavor. Looking foward to listening to wingless angels as well.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: February 7, 2010 16:54

I like Keith Richards doing Pressure Drop with Toots & The Maytals:

[www.amazon.de]

HighwireC
[www.highwire-therollingstones.de]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 7, 2010 16:55

If looking for a complete compilation, and including Keith tunes, then you need to add the not-so-great Mick solo Running Out Of Luck.

Also, why not add the great Ian McLagan track Truly (with Keith & Ronnie)?

Date: February 7, 2010 17:05

Sounds good, keep them coming, I also just downloaded Mick with Peter Tosh from Itunes

Then I said Hi, like a spider to a fly...

Date: February 7, 2010 17:10

LeonidP
If looking for a complete compilation, and including Keith tunes, then you need to add the not-so-great Mick solo Running Out Of Luck.

Also, why not add the great Ian McLagan track Truly (with Keith & Ronnie)?

Couldn't find this one on itunes.

Date: February 7, 2010 17:12

>> the great Ian McLagan track Truly (with Keith & Ronnie) <<
>> Keith Richards doing Pressure Drop with Toots & The Maytals <<

sure thing, if guest appearances count! Keith also did a beautiful Careless Ethiopians with Toots & The Maytals
and of course Keith and Mick are both on Peter Tosh's album Bush Doctor

as for Truly ... don't miss the long version on Mac's Here Comes Trouble (the re-release of Troublemaker) -
here's a link: [www.maniacrecords.com]

>> Very true what you say of the problems concerning 'definitive lists'. I usually adapt more liberal than 'pure' attitude. <<

i see you do :E
i don't hear anything at all reggae-like in Indian Girl or Everything's Turning to Gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-07 17:13 by with sssoul.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 7, 2010 18:12

Get some Bob Marley and Peter Tosh!!! the only song the Stones have ever done well in my opinion is You Don't Have to Mean It.

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: February 7, 2010 18:23

The Rolling Stones - Get Up Stand Up

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: February 7, 2010 18:33

I GOT A LETTER

Date: February 7, 2010 18:51

well hell, if we're getting into bootleg stuff we will be here all day :E
the New Barbarians' rendition of Eddy Grant's Hello Africa is a wonderfully joyful noise

Date: February 7, 2010 19:56

Thanks a bunch Nikolai. Truly.
And that is the one tune I was also going to mention but I see someone beat me to it. One of my favorite outtakes of all time. And nowadays on Mac's album.

And don't forget "Jah's Not Dead"!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-07 19:58 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 7, 2010 20:27

Date: February 8, 2010 05:36

Ok so as a fan I now have a playlist of everything u guys suggested except wingless angels which I couldn't find. Any serious overall reggae band I need to download besides Marley which was issued at birth in my town

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 8, 2010 07:03

Burning Spear Presenting /Rocking Time & Marcus Garvey
Abbyssinians - Satta Massagana
Congos - Heart Of The Congos ...( who by the way are rerecording with 'Scratch' )
Alton Ellis - Cry Tough
Burning Spear - Dry & Heavy
Justin Hinds - Carry Go Bring Come Anthology
U-Roy - Version Of Wisdom
U-Roy - Versions Galore
King Tubby - Dub Gone Crazy
Carlton & The Shoes - Love Me Forever
Doctor Alimantado - Best Dressed Chicken In Town
Heptones - Sea Of Love ... Party Time
Heptones - Cool Rasta ....Bonus inc wonderful Country Boy & Dub
Yabby You - Jesus Dread
Royals - Pick Up The pieces
Jackie Mittoo - Tribute To JM
Horace Andy - Mr Bassie
Lee Perry - Produced & Directed By The Upsetter ( BRILLIANT STUFF inc dubs )
Lee Perry - Super Ape ... Arkology
Lee Perry - Upsetters 14 Dub Blackboard Jungle
Augustos Pablo - King Tubby Meets Rockers Up town...East Of River Nile
Jimmy Radway Keep - The Pressure Down
Uniques - Watch This Sound

Duke Reids - Treasure Chest
Joe Gibbs - Explosive Rocksteady
Randy's - 17North Parade
Derrick Harriot - Riding The Roots Chariot
Harder They Come

Don't forget Keith's love of The Ital's - In A Dis A Time ....
Which is built on the rhythm track of Baby Come Home by The Tennors..
Ronnie Davis later cut Won't You Come Home using same rhythm track...

Also used for Vin Gordon - Harbour View Rock - Trinity Bump Skank and
foundation for dubs such as Skin Flesh & Bones Slavery Dub

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-08 12:15 by Rockman.

Date: February 8, 2010 10:48

>> except Wingless Angels which I couldn't find <<

the shop on Keith's site seems to have the Wingless Angels in stock again: [keithrichards.shop.musictoday.com]
or if that doesn't work you can try here: [www.amazon.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-08 11:38 by with sssoul.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 8, 2010 16:25

Nikolai
Ah - that's a cool suggestion, Palace. Wingless Angels is just great. I listen to it every Sunday. Beautiful beautiful album.

Right - reggae compilations I'd suggest are:

Tighten Up (Volumes 1 -4) - Every one of a certain age (i.e: over 40) who was into reggae in the UK had these (especially the first two). The Specials virtually founded their career on Volume 1. Not a dull moment. Covers 1968-1974. Trojan also do individual boxsets covering various genre - Roots, Dub, Lovers Rock and much much more. Very cheap.

Then ...

Tougher Than Tough: The story of Jamaican Music (1958-1993) - Mango/Island. 4 CDs. Not definitive, by any means, but it will give you a great aural overview of the genre's development.

Rebel Music: An Anthology of Reggae Music - Trojan - covers Roots. Includes tracks by Gregory Isaacs, I Roy, U Roy, Dennis Brown, The Heptones, Peter Tosh,Keith Hudson and many many more. Covers 1970-75

Mojo Rock Steady - compilation of Studio One classics from 1966-73.

The Frontline Box Set - Compilation of Virgin's reggae label. Very very good, although reggae purists (such as John Lydon - Johnny Rotten) will say that Virgin were a poor man's Island when it came to reggae. I disagree. They put out some great stuff.

Arkology - Lee Scratch Perry. Right, I'm a HUGE Lee Perry fan, so I'm including this. There are several LP box sets out there, several of them essential (The Complete Upsetter singles comes to mind), but his is a really great introduction to some of the most innovative and influential sounds ever. Dub.

Hope this helps.

Tougher than Tough is a good set, I have that too!

I also have "The Reggae Box", which I think may have been a Rhino Release, which is another good one to pick up:

[www.moviemars.com]

And the Marley and Tosh boxes:

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: February 13, 2010 11:14

What about the earliest known version of "Start Me Up" titled "Never Stop"?

~Ben

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: February 13, 2010 16:37

U2Stonesfan
The Rolling Stones - Get Up Stand Up

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: February 13, 2010 19:13

<<I would go with Keith's produced "Wingless Angels", which isn;t reggae at all, but wonderful.>>

Palace, if you dig Wingless Angels, you should definetely check out Count Ossie's Grounation record
...same kind of thing just jazzier - and just as wonderful as the Angels' effort

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 14, 2010 04:09

How about this if guest appearance counts?

Bob Marley and the Wailers
Oakland Auditorium Nov30.1979

Enhancing this stellar show is a fantastic guest performance by guitarist Ron Wood of The Rolling Stones for:
Exodus
Is This Love? / Jammin'
Ride Natty Ride
Roots, Rock, Reggae
Natty Dread
Get Up, Stand Up

[www.wolfgangsvault.com]

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home