Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Wyman vindication and claim
Date: October 11, 2011 22:12

Hello everybody,

I was watching the other day in youtube Finger Print File (LA Forum TOTA) and all of a sudden I heard strange bass lines: it did not sound as our beloved Bill Wyman can play. That sound was clean, professional, technically impeccable. But Wyman sound is heart, depth, hot, rhythm, volcano, blues, cadence, relentless advance...Wyman&Watts....make/made possible Rolling Stones (unnecessary to say I know). I think the bass was being played by Ronnie and Bill was playing a keyboard. This video confirms me that Wyman is instrumental for the stones sound.

The lack of references to Bill in Keiths book is not fair (there are just a few).

I do not know if there will be a tour but something must be previously arranged with Bill. Much people on this forum does not miss Bill a lot but in my humble opinion the sound of the band is not the same without him. I know he left but in any case something should be done in regards to Bill if justice to the Stones sound means something in a final stones tour.

(by the way, I dont know If Bill could be very happy being replaced)

Re: Wyman vindication and claim
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 11, 2011 22:25

Ron Wood played bass on Fingerprint File in 1975 live, and Mick Taylor played bass on the album track. I love Bill, but if you are using FF as an example of his playing you're off the mark.

Date: October 11, 2011 23:14

Hi 71Tele

According to Keno.org Bill played in Aint too proud to beg, Till the next goodbye, Time waits for no one, Luxury, Dance Little sister, If you really and short and curlies. But in the end what I mean is that after Bill´s departure something is missing (and I agree FF could not be the best example... smileys with beer

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 11, 2011 23:20

71Tele
Ron Wood played bass on Fingerprint File in 1975 live, and Mick Taylor played bass on the album track. I love Bill, but if you are using FF as an example of his playing you're off the mark.

Hey..i didn't know this. So what did Bill do while RW was playing bass? Did they both play bass on this track (live '75)?

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: October 11, 2011 23:29

sweet neo con
71Tele

Hey..i didn't know this. So what did Bill do while RW was playing bass? Did they both play bass on this track (live '75)?

Synth.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: October 11, 2011 23:30

sweet neo con
71Tele

He played keyboards/synthesizer. Or at least appeared to do that.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: October 11, 2011 23:34

emotionalbarbecue
Hi 71Tele

According to Keno.org Bill played in Aint too proud to beg, Till the next goodbye, Time waits for no one, Luxury, Dance Little sister, If you really and short and curlies. But in the end what I mean is that after Bill´s departure something is missing (and I agree FF could not be the best example... smileys with beer

Be a little cautious of what Keno writes on his board. I think he is guessing on a lot of things.

Rob

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 11, 2011 23:55

I was watching a short documentary on Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the creators of South Park, last night. It was generally agreed that Trey is the 'general' of everything and all flows through him. Yet, they both see the collaboration as a sort of band; where if you take out one element, the band itself falls apart. Trey used Eddie Van Halen as an example. Everybody thought Eddie was the band. Then David Lee Roth left and nobody gave a crap about Van Halen anymore.

To me the departure of Wyman meant the death of the Stones as a recording outfit. I now see Steel Wheels as their farewell album. All work since lacks the bottom, the creativity, the sensitivity that Wyman's bass provided. He really had to step it up after Taylor left to fill in the melodic void. I don't really understand the 'Vindication and Claim' header on this post. Bill split. He wasn't looking for vindication. He knew who he was and what he'd contributed. It's doubtful he'll ever play with the band again, and most assuredly in nothing more than a one-off type situation. That's been the most enjoyable part about the reissues and classic concert releases, to hear Bill. Pass the Wine.

Date: October 12, 2011 00:16

sweet neo con
71Tele

Bill played synth on the record and live.

Date: October 12, 2011 00:17

emotionalbarbecue
Hi 71Tele

I certainly agree with you!

Posted by: R ()
Date: October 12, 2011 00:45

I was listening to a boot of my first Stones show today. It was Cleveland '75. I would encourage anyone to listen and hear how Bill takes ownership of IORR at the 3:20 mark. I don't know if Keith was unplugged (it happened a couple times that day) but Bill essentially solos for several bars.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 12, 2011 00:51

The Love You Live album credits Ron for guitar/bass and Bill for bass/dancing.
So clearly he was shaking his moneymaker.

And emotionalbarbecue... your last sentance about him not being happy about being replaced doesn't make sense.

He QUIT.

Would he expect them to stop touring because of this??

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: October 12, 2011 01:12

Hi James

I meant to be replaced on 75 tour. It could happen this way

- Hey Bill, we think you´d better let Ron play bass. We dont mean we don´t trust you but you know...it is not necessary for you to leave the stage..you may play something...

- But...

- Well...no "but" or "I think.." just pay attention: you dont play on FF OK?

_ But...

- Keith..Bill dont seem to agree, may you please tell him again...etc...

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 12, 2011 01:16

Oooh... I see that makes sense now!
And the skit is funny too

smileys with beer

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 12, 2011 01:17

emotionalbarbecue..One of our locals ended up in court the other day after getting all emotional with his barbecue..he threw it at someone while it was still going..hot smiley

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: October 12, 2011 02:10

Surely it could be argued that the Stones, and here I would mostly accuse Keith Richards post 60's arrogance, of continually shooting themselves in the foot and upsetting the band dynamic by holding a contemptious attitude to Bill Wyman's contributions. Sometimes going to the trouble of wiping Bill's bass lines and substituting his own. It is amazing in retrospect that Wyman lasted as long as he did.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: October 12, 2011 02:28

Fingerprint File has the best bass line ever in the history of music and it's played by Mick Taylor. The version on Love You Live is okay but clearly not as good. I like Bill's playing but it's really very traditional. The guitarists just play way more notes and that's great at times, although I wouldn't want it for every single song.

Date: October 12, 2011 02:28

Luckily for Bill, Keith was passed out for long stretches of the seventies so he didn't have to take abuse then I guess.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home