Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
WORST to BEST...Rolling Stones albums
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 8, 2013 17:15

I understand it's all a matter of taste, but I thought this might be interesting to share....interesting read anyway:

[www.stereogum.com]

No shock to see Dirty Work last...so how does your favourite album fare?

Re: WORST to BEST...Rolling Stones albums
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 8, 2013 17:20

Crap list.

GYYYO behind Black and Blue and Satanic.

??

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 8, 2013 17:28

Yet alone they can't do math...

"By comparison, the group’s high water mark lasted only four years, between 1968 and 1972, and comprised four studio records..."

1968-1972 is five years. Simply because 1968 is counted as one. Unless they are ignoring 1970.

Date: July 8, 2013 17:30

WTF!!??

It's not all bad -- the charming blues shuffle of "Winning Ugly" retains some of the old charm.

Incredelous!

Date: July 8, 2013 17:32

I'm surprised Bridges To Babylon is ranked so low.

Date: July 8, 2013 17:33

Another WTF -

The soul-inflected slow burn "How Can I Stop" (also sung by Keith -- where was Mick?) is a little better, but still feels like a half-baked "Beast Of Burden" minus a hook.

How can anyone get that How Can I Stop resembles Beast Of Burden by even .0001%?

These people are idiots.

Date: July 8, 2013 17:34

GravityBoy
Crap list.

GYYYO behind Black and Blue and Satanic.

??

yeah, that was a bit of a head scratcher. also, to include that live album and not rank any of the others.

Date: July 8, 2013 17:36

Undercover is a difficult, troubling, and underrated album.

Then why did they rank it at 20!!??

Date: July 8, 2013 17:43

GasLightStreet

Yeah, that was funny. Interesting I thought that most albums even low on the list still received somewhat favourable comments. Even ABB, second to last had the comment about being a very fine 'Black Crowes' album.

In other words, their second worst album would still be deemed fine if someone else had released it.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: July 8, 2013 17:47

I would rank their albums something like this:

1 Sticky Fingers
2 Let it Bleed
3 Exile on Main St.
4 Beggars Banquet
5 Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!
6 Some Girls
7 Tattoo You
8 Goats Head Soup
9 Out of Our Heads
10 Aftermath
11 Black & Blue
12 It's Only Rock N Roll
13 The Rolling Stones
14 Between The Buttons
15 The Rolling Stones No 2
16 Emotional Rescue
17 Under Cover
18 Their Satanic Majesties Request
19 Bridges To Babylon
20 Steel Wheels
21 Voodoo Lounge
22 A Bigger Bang
23 Dirty Work

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-10 00:34 by DiscoVolante.

Date: July 8, 2013 17:52

"Tops" is decent rehashing of "Fool to Cry."

So even though they said that Tattoo You is "a ragtag collection of abandoned ideas and afterthoughts" they don't know that Tops is from 1973? HA HA!

Date: July 8, 2013 17:54

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

Yeah, that was funny. Interesting I thought that most albums even low on the list still received somewhat favourable comments. Even ABB, second to last had the comment about being a very fine 'Black Crowes' album.

In other words, their second worst album would still be deemed fine if someone else had released it.

That's what some people have been saying for years, although I really doubt anyone would want to say that about Dirty Work or TSMR...

Date: July 8, 2013 18:04

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

that comment was complete bullshit as every black crowes album is better than ABB

Date: July 8, 2013 18:07

This week...

1 Let It Bleed
2 Sticky Fingers
3 Exile On Main St.
4 Tattoo You
5 Beggars Banquet
6 Goats Head Soup
7 Aftermath
8 Undercover
9 Out Of Our Heads
10 Black & Blue
11 Emotional Rescue
12 Some Girls
13 Bridges To Babylon
14 It's Only Rock N Roll
15 12 X 5
16 England's Newest Hit Makers
17 Between The Buttons
18 The Rolling Stones No 2
19 Voodoo Lounge
20 A Bigger Bang
21 Steel Wheels
22 Their Satanic Majesties Request
23 Dirty Work

Date: July 8, 2013 18:24

keefriffhard4life
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

that comment was complete bullshit as every black crowes album is better than ABB

Are the Robinson's family members of yours?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 8, 2013 22:49

I can never do this with the exception of Dirty Work will ALWAYS be last and Exile will always be first on my list.

Date: July 8, 2013 22:51

treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

no. other than the usual keith/mick knob slobbers on here i don't think you will find many people on here who know a lot about the black crowes that will think ABB is better than any of the crowes albums. Tattoo You and Some Girls are the only albums the stones have made since 1974 better than any of the black crowes albums

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 8, 2013 23:14

I love The Crowes. I've seen them 3 times this year and know their albums by heart.

I rate every Stones album (74-83) higher than any crowes album.
+ I love Bridges to Babylon and ABB.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: July 8, 2013 23:24

Please explain: "where Robert Johnson casts a lurid eye at Liz Phair while shaking hands with Pussy Galore"

confused smiley

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 8, 2013 23:31

1. Let It Bleed
2. Sticky Fingers (although it really is neck and neck with Bleed)
3. Beggars Banquet
4. Exile On Main St.
5. Some Girls
6. Between The Buttons (an underrated amazing album with no bad songs IMO)
7. December's Children (And Everybody's) (American, I know, but side 2 is up there with the best they ever wrote)
8. It's Only Rock And Roll
9. Their Satanic Majesties Request (criminally underrated, and I wish I could put it higher, but its probably not better than the first 8. Personal fav of mine though)
10. Goats Head Soup
11. Out Of Our Heads
12. A Bigger Bang (seriously an amazing album with 10 great songs thats just a tad too long)
13. Tattoo You
14. Aftermath
15. England's Newest Hit Makers
16. 12 X 5
17. Black & Blue
18. The Rolling Stones No 2
19. Steel Wheels
20. Emotional Rescue
21. Voodoo Lounge
22. Undercover
23. Bridges To Babylon
24. Dirty Work

Date: July 8, 2013 23:47

It's a pretty shitty list. I WILL give to them that they got that Goats Head Soup, always my #1 fave, is a "terrific record that only grows in stature." Good job guys! It is definitely better than all the albums you put under it on the list, but also better than Some Girls IMHO and any album they made without Jimmy Miller (those 5 are it). I also think Dirty Work is WAY better than Steel Wheels and everything after it, so my list would be different for sure.

1. Goats Head Soup
2. Exile
3. Sticky Fingers
4. Beggars Banquet
5. Let It Bleed
6. Tattoo You
7. Emotional Rescue (yup! love this album minus Indian Girl--funky Stones is some of my favorite Stones!)
8. Black And Blue ("Memory Motel" is their best ballad EVER IMHO & "Hot Stuff" & "Hey Negrita" really cook)
9. Satanic Majesties (a psychedelic masterwork. I LOVE psychedelia & for me this is one of THE definitive releases of the genre, much better than Pepper's and rarely Beatles-aping outside of the opening & closing tracks)
10. Some Girls (an overrated LP that I still love quite a bit)

After that, honestly who knows? I love both Undercover and Dirty Work, go figure--I think they're massively underrated and that Mick & Keith's hatred of each other at the time fueled GENUINELY ANGRY, snarling rock songs that aren't phoned in shadows of their old selves like almost everything recorded since the truce in '89. I didn't include Ya Ya's on my list because it's a live album--I only wanna rank fave studio works myself.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 8, 2013 23:58

GasLightStreet

Why?

Date: July 9, 2013 00:11

CanYouHearTheMusic
It's a pretty shitty list. I WILL give to them that they got that Goats Head Soup, always my #1 fave, is a "terrific record that only grows in stature." Good job guys! It is definitely better than all the albums you put under it on the list, but also better than Some Girls IMHO and any album they made without Jimmy Miller (those 5 are it). I also think Dirty Work is WAY better than Steel Wheels and everything after it, so my list would be different for sure.

1. Goats Head Soup
2. Exile
3. Sticky Fingers
4. Beggars Banquet
5. Let It Bleed
6. Tattoo You
7. Emotional Rescue (yup! love this album minus Indian Girl--funky Stones is some of my favorite Stones!)
8. Black And Blue ("Memory Motel" is their best ballad EVER IMHO & "Hot Stuff" & "Hey Negrita" really cook)
9. Satanic Majesties (a psychedelic masterwork. I LOVE psychedelia & for me this is one of THE definitive releases of the genre, much better than Pepper's and rarely Beatles-aping outside of the opening & closing tracks)
10. Some Girls (an overrated LP that I still love quite a bit)

After that, honestly who knows? I love both Undercover and Dirty Work, go figure--I think they're massively underrated and that Mick & Keith's hatred of each other at the time fueled GENUINELY ANGRY, snarling rock songs that aren't phoned in shadows of their old selves like almost everything recorded since the truce in '89. I didn't include Ya Ya's on my list because it's a live album--I only wanna rank fave studio works myself.

I couldn't concentrate on anything you wrote after you said Dirty Work is WAY better than Steel Wheels and everything after it. I don't see the nobility in destroying your own credibility.

Date: July 9, 2013 01:00

71Tele
GasLightStreet

Why?

It has some really good tunes on it and is the only non-Wyman album as well as the only album since Undercover that has any adventourous music on it. Plus Keith's 3 songs...

Date: July 9, 2013 01:05

keefriffhard4life
treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

no. other than the usual keith/mick knob slobbers on here i don't think you will find many people on here who know a lot about the black crowes that will think ABB is better than any of the crowes albums. Tattoo You and Some Girls are the only albums the stones have made since 1974 better than any of the black crowes albums

You're right of course...the stones should really throw in the towel and start doing Crowes covers in concert. Perhaps an album full of Crowes covers.

They're just that good.

Date: July 9, 2013 01:13

treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life
treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

You're right of course...the stones should really throw in the towel and start doing Crowes covers in concert. Perhaps an album full of Crowes covers.

They're just that good.

what retarded bullshit. the crowes cover the stones because they are an influence just like the stones cover robert johnson and chuck berry. please just stop. you make no sense and last time i checked no one who is influenced by the stones is covering anything from the last 30+ years. weren't like 10 of the stones first 12 singles cover songs?

Date: July 9, 2013 01:13

keefriffhard4life
treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life
treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

They're just that good.

what retarded bullshit. the crowes cover the stones because they are an influence just like the stones cover robert johnson and chuck berry. please just stop. you make no sense and last time i checked no one who is influenced by the stones is covering anything from the last 30+ years. weren't like 10 of the stones first 12 singles cover songs?

blimey you're easy to set off aren't you?

Date: July 9, 2013 01:17

not really but i saw that comment on here before, maybe by you? people cover their influences. i'm sure if mick jagger could get away with it he would be up there now covering lady gaga and gwen stefani songs. jagger is always the trend chaser and has been for about 40 years. remember when he was the person creating the trends?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 9, 2013 01:18

It's funny what they say about Dirty Work--

1986's Dirty Work is the first Stones record that feels officially like product -- almost entirely bereft of inspiration, with song after song seeming like a wax museum representation of the riffs and attitudes that the band realizes it is expected to produce, without any real conviction behind them.

--because just very recently some posters here on IORR were voicing these very sentiments in another thread about the It's Only Rock and Roll album.

Some days I feel 12X5 should be number 1 on the list, other days Tattoo You. Every critic will come up with a different list on a different day.

While I agree in that Dirty Work is my least favorite Stones album, I feel the main Achilles heel of that record is the cliched 80s production values--that and the almost complete absence of Charlie Watts. In many other places it feels too much like a glorified Mick Jagger solo album. I write it off as a missed opportunity, with a handful of bright moments nonetheless.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 9, 2013 01:52

OK, I got Exile on top, probably got ER higher than most folks.....I've got Dirty Work vying for last with SW, B2B and ABB. I've got VL distinctly above the rest of the Vegas era. IMO, Between the Buttons and Satanic Majesties would be down there too, but they were pushing boundaries and somewhat exhausted by the grueling 60's process.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1536
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home