Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What is with British musicians? Can't they just get along.
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 9, 2011 18:01

Recently, I have heard stories about ongoing feuds with various musicians in bands that had me thinking, why are so many British bands destined to have nasty or even amiable breakups?

When you stop and really think about it, some of the best rock music bands in history, many originating in England, windup disintegrating over money, women, and ego squabbles. Even the death of members causes disagreements that lead to breakups. Are English men incapable of working together for long periods without fighting? I suppose that includes Scottish born musicians too.

Some of the notables:

The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Cream
The Kinks
Led Zeppelin
The Animals
Manfred Mann
Yes

Who else can you add to the list?

Re: What is with British musicians? Can't they just get along.
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 9, 2011 18:09

Name some American bands from the 60s that haven't gone through numerous personnel changes.

Date: October 9, 2011 20:01

I thought this thread was going to be about Oasis and Blur.
..those UK bands at least had the good sense to not get along and then bow out.
US bands will go on and on and on and on; replace, replace, have sons and grandsons step in

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 9, 2011 20:12

I wonder if there are any bands with no original members at all. In theory, a band could go on forever. Imagine the Stones replacing people one by one - Stones tour for the 100th anniversary in 2062, with no original members! (Darryl Jones will be 101 years old then, so maybe he will participate)

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: October 10, 2011 00:09

The Sicilian
Recently, I have heard stories about ongoing feuds with various musicians in bands that had me thinking, why are so many British bands destined to have nasty or even amiable breakups?

When you stop and really think about it, some of the best rock music bands in history, many originating in England, windup disintegrating over money, women, and ego squabbles. Even the death of members causes disagreements that lead to breakups. Are English men incapable of working together for long periods without fighting? I suppose that includes Scottish born musicians too.

Some of the notables:

The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Cream
The Kinks
Led Zeppelin
The Animals
Manfred Mann
Yes

It has nothing to do with "English". As long as you have males on the planet you will have these kinds of problems.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 10, 2011 00:21

Send It To me
I wonder if there are any bands with no original members at all. In theory, a band could go on forever. Imagine the Stones replacing people one by one - Stones tour for the 100th anniversary in 2062, with no original members! (Darryl Jones will be 101 years old then, so maybe he will participate)

Uh, the Rolling Stones are not Menudo!

There is no one member who has been with Fairport Convention in all its various lineups since its inception in 1977. Rhythm guitarist Simon Nicol is a founding member, but took some time off in the mid-70's, when Trevor Lucas took his place. Bassist Dave Pegg also comes close, having been with Fairport since 1970, when he replaced original bassist Ashley Hutchings.

But they've been through several lead guitarists (Richard Thompson, Jerry Donahue, and Martin Allcock), drummers (Martin Lamble, Dave Mattacks, and Gerry Conway), fiddlers (Dave Swarbrick, Ric Sanders and Chris Leslie, and vocalists (Judy Dyble, Ian Matthews, and Sandy Denny), all while keeping pretty much the same sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-10 00:30 by ab.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 10, 2011 00:23

The Sicilian

Some of the notables:

The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Cream
The Kinks
Led Zeppelin
The Animals
Manfred Mann
Yes

Are English men incapable of working together for long periods

Well I think Them comes first, this band didn't last for 3 months in the same setup, as far as I know.....

Date: October 10, 2011 00:25

NICOS
The Sicilian

Some of the notables:

The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Cream
The Kinks
Led Zeppelin
The Animals
Manfred Mann
Yes

Are English men incapable of working together for long periods

Well I think Them comes first, this band didn't last for 3 months in the same setup, as far as I know.....

Them came from Northern Ireland

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: October 10, 2011 00:28

Should we also talk about Creedence Clearwater Revival. Buffalo Springfield, Beach Boys, Byrds, CSNY, Three Dog Night, and more? This isn't just a British problem.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 10, 2011 02:40

The Sicilian

The Sicilian..That about sums up ya' quintessential British Rock band..thumbs up

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 10, 2011 03:50

Ever been married? Being in a band is like being married to three or four other people, not just one. It's a wonder any bands last more than a few years. I doubt it has much to do with nationality.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 10, 2011 04:29

In a few years, you'll be able to see Credence Granddaughters Revival.

Date: October 10, 2011 05:14

71Tele
Ever been married? Being in a band is like being married to three or four other people, not just one. It's a wonder any bands last more than a few years. I doubt it has much to do with nationality.

Could be the weather though? Ever seen anybody smile in Seattle?

Date: October 10, 2011 05:25

You have to forget about pride and nationality with this thread. Rock music is essentially on two stages, American bands and British bands. Everyone else is a distant third. My thoughts were focused on the great British bands.

The public spats that we all hear about involve the British bands. The Beatles and all their issues lead the pack. The never ending saga of the Davies brothers of the Kinks. Gilmour and Waters of Pink Floyd. Ginger Baker threatening to never play on the same stage as Jack Bruce and wanting to punch his lights out. The list goes on...

Sure there are American band issues, but not as heavy the Brits. These are long simmering angry feuds. Is it an ego thing? Money? Stealing girlfriends or wives? And who is the loser here? All of us who love the music.

Date: October 10, 2011 05:31

The Sicilian
You have to forget about pride and nationality with this thread. Rock music is essentially on two stages, American bands and British bands. Everyone else is a distant third. My thoughts were focused on the great British bands.

The public spats that we all hear about involve the British bands. The Beatles and all their issues lead the pack. The never ending saga of the Davies brothers of the Kinks. Gilmour and Waters of Pink Floyd. Ginger Baker threatening to never play on the same stage as Jack Bruce and wanting to punch his lights out. The list goes on...

Sure there are American band issues, but not as heavy the Brits. These are long simmering angry feuds. Is it an ego thing? Money? Stealing girlfriends or wives? And who is the loser here? All of us who love the music.

I have been told that British males tend to sweep things under the carpet rather than deal with their issues head on. Don't know if this really true?

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: October 10, 2011 18:52

stonescrow
The Sicilian

Some of the notables:

The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Cream
The Kinks
Led Zeppelin
The Animals
Manfred Mann
Yes

It has nothing to do with "English". As long as you have males on the planet you will have these kinds of problems.

no scots in the above.

craig and charlie reid are still together 2 x 500 miles away

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: October 10, 2011 18:53

Money, women and drugs come to mind.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: October 10, 2011 19:10

What about Black Crowes, Aerosmith, Ramones, New York Dolls?

It's not a geographical trait, it's artistic temperament

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 10, 2011 19:21

you think the brits are bad. mongolian bands are the worst...the worst, jerry.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: October 10, 2011 19:45

straycatblues73
Some of the notables:

The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Cream
The Kinks
Led Zeppelin
The Animals
Manfred Mann
Yes

no scots in the above.

Jack Bruce is Scottish.

My two cents: I don't think it's to do with nationality - people collect resentments and other debris over the years. The only long-running band I'm aware of that has all the original members and seem to get along famously with each other is U2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-10 20:02 by Claire_M.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 10, 2011 19:48

stonescrow
71Tele

Could be the weather though? Ever seen anybody smile in Seattle?

This would make sense if all bands were in Seattle.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 10, 2011 20:02

StonesTod

that's the most pathetic Banya impersonation I have EVER heard!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 10, 2011 20:04

treaclefingers
StonesTod

you could be my mentor!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 10, 2011 20:08

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod

you could be my mentor!

I could also be "your knight in shining armour", but either event is highly unlikely!

Date: October 11, 2011 06:39

Should we add:

Yardbirds
Black Sabbath
Emerson Lake and Palmer
King Crimson
Genesis

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: October 11, 2011 11:05

Send It To me
I wonder if there are any bands with no original members at all. In theory, a band could go on forever.

There's several. As well as black American vocal groups such as The Drifters & The Coasters, UK beat groups The Swinging Blue Jeans & The Fortunes spring to mind.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 11, 2011 11:28

The Sicilian

Some of the notables:

The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Cream
The Kinks
Led Zeppelin
The Animals
Manfred Mann
Yes

Happy Mondays
PiL (pick a line-up)
The Fall (ditto)
The Stone Roses
New Order
The Clash
The Damned
Oasis

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: October 11, 2011 11:33

Nikolai
The Sicilian

Some of the notables:

The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Cream
The Kinks
Led Zeppelin
The Animals
Manfred Mann
Yes

Happy Mondays
PiL (pick a line-up)
The Fall (ditto)
The Stone Roses
New Order
The Clash
The Damned
Oasis

The Hollies.

The Shadows.

Date: October 11, 2011 11:51

71Tele

And you get even closer, psycologically (imagine everytime you'll meet your wife you'll have to resolve tasks, making things groove, pick on her, suggest things etc.), in a band. Rule # 1, don't take criticism, praising or anything concerning the roles in the band personally.

Just my cents on what I've learned the hard way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-11 12:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: October 11, 2011 12:22

stonescrow
The Sicilian

I have been told that British males tend to sweep things under the carpet rather than deal with their issues head on. Don't know if this really true?

Very true.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1844
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home