Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - RIP John Glenn
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 8, 2016 22:42

Another loss. Safe journey to the stars, John.

[www.dispatch.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 22:43 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Re: OT - RIP John Glenn
Posted by: HankM ()
Date: December 8, 2016 22:45

RIP Mr Glenn, you were the first and real Space Man, Thank you for your bravery

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 22:46 by HankM.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 8, 2016 22:52

What a great man. RIP.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 8, 2016 22:56

HankM

John Glenn. Orbited. 20th Feb 1962

Yuri Gararin. Orbited. 12th April 1961

Great man. Absolutely. Pioneer. Absolutely. Very significant. Totally. "First". Not quite. There is a world outside of the USA!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 8, 2016 23:10

Godspeed Mr. Glenn

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 8, 2016 23:28

All around the world, 007 fans caught their breath and then realized it was the astronaut turned politician with the extra "n."

[en.wikipedia.org])

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 8, 2016 23:30

HankM

Huh ever heard of Yuri Gagarine? "The Right Stuff" tells how butt-hurt the US were after the news broke out the Ruusians were leading the race to the stars...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 8, 2016 23:56

As schillid paraphrased and Scott Carpenter said, "Godspeed John Glenn". Hard to fathom how many people he may have inspired in how many different ways.

Peace,
Mr. DJA

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 9, 2016 00:20

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 9, 2016 00:20

John Glenn launch, Walter Cronkite " Go, baby ! " LIVE on TV, CBS, February 20, 1962

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 9, 2016 00:24

MisterDDDD
John Glenn launch, Walter Cronkite " Go, baby ! " LIVE on TV, CBS, February 20, 1962

[www.youtube.com]

As watched by the President. [www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 9, 2016 02:09

Rocky Dijon
All around the world, 007 fans caught their breath and then realized it was the astronaut turned politician with the extra "n."

[en.wikipedia.org])

Yes. They'll never top Octopussy.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 9, 2016 02:10

R.I.P., Senator Glenn. You and the others who sat on top of those rockets never knowing what to expect...wow, what courage.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 9, 2016 02:14

The guy went beyond the clouds .... RIP

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 9, 2016 02:58

My dad got his autograph for me when I was a little girl. He was a great American.

Date: December 9, 2016 03:40

latebloomer
My dad got his autograph for me when I was a little girl. He was a great American.

That's VERY impressive indeed. Nice. Many dibs to your dad.

(I have a friend who has the autographs of several of the 12 men who walked on the moon, and he in turn has a pal who has them all on one photograph. Now that's nice!)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 9, 2016 04:06

CaptainCorella

(I have a friend who has the autographs of several of the 12 men who walked on the moon, and he in turn has a pal who has them all on one photograph. Now that's nice!)

My dad worked for NASA way back when, Captain. NASA put out a booklet with pics and bios of all the astronauts, and my father got a few of them to sign their page. I have a big envelope with a lot of his Mercury and Appolo mission momentos. My father was always very proud to have been a part of the early space program. It's sad that most of those guys are gone now...the original space cowboys.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 9, 2016 07:05

dcba

Huh ever heard of Yuri Gagarine? "The Right Stuff" tells how butt-hurt the US were after the news broke out the Ruusians were leading the race to the stars...

Hats off to the sacrificial Albert one thru five until Able and Miss Baker completed the round trip.

Date: December 9, 2016 08:29

latebloomer

My dad worked for NASA way back when, Captain. NASA put out a booklet with pics and bios of all the astronauts, and my father got a few of them to sign their page. I have a big envelope with a lot of his Mercury and Appolo mission momentos. My father was always very proud to have been a part of the early space program. It's sad that most of those guys are gone now...the original space cowboys.

Fantastic! Such an achievement. What they pioneered, in direct competition with the USSR driving them both on, has pointed to the only way that will ensure humanity's eventual survival. Doesn't get bigger than that.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 9, 2016 14:30

God speed John Glenn R.I.P.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 10, 2016 01:41

WWII vet...astronaut...senator...astronaut again...HEROthumbs upthumbs up

Date: December 10, 2016 06:29

shadooby
WWII vet...astronaut...senator...astronaut again...HEROthumbs upthumbs up

Agreed. Especially on his war service alone.

Off topic but space related, is there anyone here that is skeptical about the moon landing, that it never really happened? I'm very very skeptical about it. I just find it very hard to believe that the technology existed to accomplish it with such crude machinery, and has not even been remotely considered since.

With telescopes that can see millions of miles away, how come no current pictures exist of the flag or any other machinery left on the moon?

Date: December 10, 2016 06:42

The Sicilian
...Off topic but space related, is there anyone here that is skeptical about the moon landing, that it never really happened? I'm very very skeptical about it. I just find it very hard to believe that the technology existed to accomplish it with such crude machinery, and has not even been remotely considered since.

With telescopes that can see millions of miles away, how come no current pictures exist of the flag or any other machinery left on the moon?

I can't buy that conspiracy theory. My ex tried to sell it to me once, asked for even one reason to believe it wasn't faked, and I replied "Arthur C. Clarke." He wasn't just a fiction writer, he was involved in the invention of early satellites. 2001 included an image of earth seen from behind the moon before that picture was ever taken and, when the astronauts got that shot, their comment to Clarke was "...thinking of you." If the landing was faked, Clarke and numerous others, TONS of others, would have had to know. And would not have supported the fiction by staying silent about it. IMHO.

Date: December 10, 2016 06:58

The Sicilian
...Off topic but space related, is there anyone here that is skeptical about the moon landing, that it never really happened? I'm very very skeptical about it. I just find it very hard to believe that the technology existed to accomplish it with such crude machinery, and has not even been remotely considered since.

SomeTorontoGirl

I can't buy that conspiracy theory. My ex tried to sell it to me once, asked for even one reason to believe it wasn't faked, and I replied "Arthur C. Clarke." He wasn't just a fiction writer, he was involved in the invention of early satellites. 2001 included an image of earth seen from behind the moon before that picture was ever taken and, when the astronauts got that shot, their comment to Clarke was "...thinking of you." If the landing was faked, Clarke and numerous others, TONS of others, would have had to know. And would not have supported the fiction by staying silent about it. IMHO.

I know what you're saying but where are the pictures. Not that long ago, there were pictures posted in a story that made the online media news outlets MSN etc...that supposedly showed the flag left behind but it was blurry and very pixelated. It was actually ridiculous as it looked like nothing.

Can you honestly believe that a space craft made out of aluminum foil actually landed with a astronauts and a driveable vehicle and then managed to get off the moon out of orbit and come back to earth. In the 1960's. I can't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-10 07:01 by The Sicilian.

Date: December 10, 2016 07:19

The Sicilian
...Can you honestly believe that a space craft made out of aluminum foil actually landed with a astronauts and a driveable vehicle and then managed to get off the moon out of orbit and come back to earth. In the 1960's. I can't.

Yup. Weirder, more unbelievable stuff has happened, some quite recently, but I'll give you an older, more Canadian example.

The Gimli Glider incident in 1983 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider) was an event where a commercial airliner ran out of fuel mid-flight because someone made a mistake fueling the aircraft and loaded the fuel in pounds instead of kilograms. When the pilot (an experienced glider pilot) became aware of the full scope of the issue, they managed to locate an abandoned airfiled in Gimli, Manitoba and glide in for a safe landing. No loss of life or serious injuries. When they loaded the same scenario into a flight simulator and had numerous experienced pilots go through the whole thing, they all crashed. Every. Single. Time.

If the US faked the moon landings (how many? all of them?) did the Russians also fake theirs? People suck at keeping secrets. We'll just have to agree to disagree sweetie. Maybe some day, I'll show you my moon rock. (Oooops, that was supposed to be a secret!)

Date: December 10, 2016 07:33

SomeTorontoGirl
Maybe some day, I'll show you my moon rock. (Oooops, that was supposed to be a secret!)

In the mid-1970s a university physicist friend of mine moved into an office of a recently deceased VERY distinguished physicist. A few weeks later someone asked if he'd seen the sample of Moon Rock that said late physicist had been presented by NASA as a mark of their great respect for him.

Nope.

The office had been cleared and cleaned by the office cleaners after his death and the anonymous lump had been binned.

Whoops!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: December 10, 2016 07:39

CaptainCorella

Maybe some day, I'll show you my moon rock. (Oooops, that was supposed to be a secret!)

In the mid-1970s a university physicist friend of mine moved into an office of a recently deceased VERY distinguished physicist. A few weeks later someone asked if he'd seen the sample of Moon Rock that said late physicist had been presented by NASA as a mark of their great respect for him.

Nope.

The office had been cleared and cleaned by the office cleaners after his death and the anonymous lump had been binned.

Whoops!

Note to self: label all anonymous lumps! grinning smiley

Date: December 10, 2016 07:55

SomeTorontoGirl

If the US faked the moon landings (how many? all of them?) did the Russians also fake theirs? People suck at keeping secrets. We'll just have to agree to disagree sweetie. Maybe some day, I'll show you my moon rock. (Oooops, that was supposed to be a secret!)

Did the Leafs really win the draft lottery or was it rigged? Buffalo finished last twice and picked second.

Date: December 10, 2016 07:59

The Sicilian
Did the Leafs really win the draft lottery or was it rigged? Buffalo finished last twice and picked second.

Don't have a clue. But the Leafies need all the help they can swindle.

Date: December 10, 2016 11:34

SomeTorontoGirl

If the US faked the moon landings (how many? all of them?) did the Russians also fake theirs?

If that's a test.... I passed. The USSR (not "Russia") never had any moon landings. To date only 24 humans have stood on the moon - all of them Americans.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1740
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home