Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
O/T: What Do We Think of the Grateful Dead?
Posted by: ThumpinJackFlash ()
Date: March 1, 2017 00:30

After reading some of the "music people love but I don't get" thread, I got curious. What's the overall consensus on the Dead?

I'm personally a big fan. They are second only to the Stones for me. I have seen Dead & Company twice, with plans for this summer.

Re: O/T: What Do We Think of the Grateful Dead?
Date: March 1, 2017 00:40

they are one of my favorite bands

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 1, 2017 00:49

If your head is in the right space I guess they are groovy to listen to. If your head ain't there, oh my....

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 1, 2017 01:58

not much

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 1, 2017 02:07

>grinning smiley< W/ Branford Marsalis 12-31-90 OMG

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 1, 2017 02:13

Is not that my head's not there smoking smiley
it's just I do not like the Grateful Dead.
Not hatin', but I have zero interest.
Never moved me.

spell edit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-01 02:13 by 35love.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 1, 2017 02:17

First time I saw them was on Rockpalast in 1981 which was broadcasted on tv. Luckily I also recorded it on cassette tape, because I fell asleep in the middle of the night grinning smiley

Posted by: goinhome ()
Date: March 1, 2017 02:37

Garcia said it best... “We're like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice really like licorice.”

Personally, I'm a fan, and am really grateful for the 40 times or so I got to see them live, but I know a lot of people whose musical judgement I (otherwise) consider to be very on-spot, who can't stand them. I accept and respect their opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-01 02:39 by goinhome.

Posted by: Bobbyb98 ()
Date: March 1, 2017 02:42

One of my favorite bands, without question... Truly beautiful music.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: March 1, 2017 02:48

Great band. Kind of made it up as they went. Probably the best example of an "American Band", as they drew from many of it's musical legacies.

Spent a good chunk of my youth following them around from 1983-1995. Never got to Eurrail through the continent in my twenties, but I have first-hand knowledge of Arenas and Sheds throughout the U.S.

The music seems to be enduring and continuing to resonate.

They were originals.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: March 1, 2017 02:51

necrophilia

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 1, 2017 02:55

I like some of their studio work (from all eras), but please don't tell me I have to see them live in order to 'get it'.
Saw them with my older brother in '77 or '78, and nearly fell asleep.

Read a Dylan quote where he said Jerry Garcia was either his favorite guitarist or the worlds greatest guitarist (or maybe both)- can't remember which one it was, but it says alot when you're #1 fan is Bob Dylan.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: March 1, 2017 03:39

I know they're not everybody's stick of licorice but I liked them a lot. I was fortunate to see them many times and I've kept up with most of the post-Grateful Dead configurations as well. I'm planning on seeing Dead & Company again in May.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 1, 2017 03:42

Javadave
Probably the best example of an "American Band", as they drew from many of it's musical legacies.

Interesting way to look at it; a band who had some roots in bluegrass, who would also frequently play Marty Robbins "The Girl from El Paso" to some psychedelic long jams, drum solos sounding like they were summoning aliens, to who knows what next.

Good way to describe them!

Seen them half dozen times; not a huge fan but enjoyed their music. Known for pretty much playing different songs each show meaning you wouldn't hear many hits if you seen them. Remember seeing the crowd go crazy in Atlanta when they went into Truckin'.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 1, 2017 03:56

Shakedown Street
Casey Jones
Alabama Getaway
Touch of Grey
Friend of the Devil
Truckin'

Never followed them all that much so not a big fan, but I do love all the above songs. They are in my Grateful Dead playlist.

I don't care much for their Spoonful version, Willie Dixon's version is great ... and yes, I'll say it, Ronnie's cover is even better!

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: March 1, 2017 04:09

I love the dead. They are third for me. Rolling Stones far and away #1, Dylan #2....and the Dead are right there at 3rd. That said, for me.....they have bad patches (roughly '84-'95)....as does Dylan (mid 80's, 'Triplicate', xmas album).

What brought me to the Dead was the Blues. Pigpen. Their cover of 'Turn On Your Lovelight'. For those that don't like the Dead, I'm not trying to convert anyone....but give their 'lovelight' a listen. The hippie dippie early stuff is pretty average, but when they tear into some good blues, it's pretty solid.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 1, 2017 04:21

Turn On Your Lovelight is a great tune. Check out the original by Bobby Blue Bland.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: March 1, 2017 04:30

dmay
Turn On Your Lovelight is a great tune. Check out the original by Bobby Blue Bland.

[www.youtube.com]

I love Bland's original! but the Dead's cover with Pigpen growling through some of those phrases really turned me into a Pigpen head

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 1, 2017 05:57

ThumpinJackFlash
After reading some of the "music people love but I don't get" thread, I got curious. What's the overall consensus on the Dead?

I'm personally a big fan. They are second only to the Stones for me. I have seen Dead & Company twice, with plans for this summer.

That's a tribute band, right? The Grateful Dead is long dead.

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: March 1, 2017 06:56

Love the Dead,I'm a current Dave's Picks subscriber.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 1, 2017 07:09

I ADORE Workingman's Dead and American Beauty.

Everything else is as boring as batshit to me.....

Rod

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: March 1, 2017 07:12

Rokyfan
ThumpinJackFlash

I guess that depends on how one defines a tribute band. I think of them as more than a tribute band since they have Bob Weir, Bill Kreutzmann, and Mickey Hart.

Date: March 1, 2017 07:30

Rokyfan
ThumpinJackFlash

it technically is a tribute band but not really. its more like an extension that's separate from the grateful dead

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: March 1, 2017 10:34

Great band with a number of great songs one can point too; everyone who likes them probably have their favorites. Some of the improvisations I'm so so with.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 1, 2017 12:22

Love the two psychedelic studio albums Anthem of The Sun and Aoxomoxoa and also the two country albums American Beauty and Workingmen's Dead. Saw them three times. Live they are long and rambling and you need to be psychedelised to really enjoy it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-01 12:22 by Silver Dagger.

Date: March 1, 2017 12:23

Hairball
I like some of their studio work (from all eras), but please don't tell me I have to see them live in order to 'get it'.
Saw them with my older brother in '77 or '78, and nearly fell asleep.

Read a Dylan quote where he said Jerry Garcia was either his favorite guitarist or the worlds greatest guitarist (or maybe both)- can't remember which one it was, but it says alot when you're #1 fan is Bob Dylan.

Bob has also said that about both Keith and Ronnie smiling smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 1, 2017 12:39

Never heard a single Dead-song in my life - and that´s true.
I only know them as the backing band on Dylan´s live-album "Dylan & The Dead", which is one hell of a lousy live album.

Date: March 1, 2017 12:46

HMS
Never heard a single Dead-song in my life - and that´s true.
I only know them as the backing band on Dylan´s live-album "Dylan & The Dead", which is one hell of a lousy live album.

Now you have.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 1, 2017 13:09

DandelionPowderman
Now you have.

Pretty good.
I thought there isn´t any Dead-song less than 15 min.grinning smiley

Date: March 1, 2017 13:17

HMS
DandelionPowderman
Now you have.

Pretty good.
I thought there isn´t any Dead-song less than 15 min.grinning smiley

That's live winking smiley

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1856
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home