Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Eat A Peach - 45 years and counting
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 27, 2017 16:58

Nice bit on the Allman Brothers Band's "Eat A Peach". One of my all time fave bands.

[gardenandgun.com]

Re: OT: Eat A Peach - 45 years and counting
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: February 27, 2017 17:55

Love both this album and At Fillmore East thumbs up

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: February 27, 2017 19:41

Blue Sky is still my favorite guitar tune ....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 27, 2017 20:27

Great album - excepting the way too long "Mountain Jam".

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: February 27, 2017 21:06

I actually thought it was called "Eat A Peach" because Duane had to avoid being hit by a peach truck before he met his untimely death.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 27, 2017 22:01

reg thorpe
I actually thought it was called "Eat A Peach" because Duane had to avoid being hit by a peach truck before he met his untimely death.

Also, there is a long held rumor that he was killed by a peach truck. Neither is true.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: February 28, 2017 03:19

The title comes from this quote by Duane "I'm hitting a lick for peace — and every time I'm in Georgia, I eat a peach for peace."

The Allman Brothers Band are my favorite American band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-28 03:20 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 28, 2017 03:42

detroitken

If you don't already have it get a copy of the live 9/19/71 Stonybrook, NY official release as it has one of the few known live recordings of Blue Sky which is stellar. incredible solo interplay by Duane Allman and Dickey Betts.

Really wish they would release more of these amazing archive shows as I have read they have more Duane era tapes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-28 03:48 by oldschool.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 28, 2017 10:23

I got my first copies of Eat a Peach and Exile for my 12th birthday in 1972. Those albums have been good company ever since!

Give me the full 33-minute Mountain Jam in all its glory, especially on car trips. That and the first three sides of Live Dead really benefited from CDs because the jams flow without interruption

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-28 15:40 by ab.

Date: February 28, 2017 10:43

Elmo Lewis
Great album - excepting the way too long "Mountain Jam".

It works better on the vinyl-release, where it is split in two parts, imo. Then again, that was how it was intended to be listened to anyway smiling smiley

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 28, 2017 11:59

oldschool
detroitken

If you don't already have it get a copy of the live 9/19/71 Stonybrook, NY official release as it has one of the few known live recordings of Blue Sky which is stellar. incredible solo interplay by Duane Allman and Dickey Betts.

Really wish they would release more of these amazing archive shows as I have read they have more Duane era tapes.

I've got that live version; it's also on the Skydog box set.

However, SUNY is a great live album. I also like the five-man, immediately post Duane, gig that's on the archive CD series.

But then, The Allmans from first album up to Brothers & Sisters contains some fine music. They dropped off for a bit, and then, with Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes, their late period was fantastic.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: February 28, 2017 15:09

oldschool
detroitken

Thanx..I will search for this...

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 28, 2017 15:48

detroitken
thumbs up

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: February 28, 2017 20:58

Elmo Lewis
reg thorpe

Also, there is a long held rumor that he was killed by a peach truck. Neither is true.

I believe he struck the back of a flatbed truck with a lumber crane affixed to it .

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 28, 2017 21:13

My favorite studio album by them.

Side 1:

Ain't Wastin' Time No More
Les Brers in A Minor
Melissa

It don't get much better than that... (side 2 is pretty good toothumbs up)

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 1, 2017 03:50

D@mn shame they were talking reunion with Dickey in 2017 and now Trucks is gone...

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 1, 2017 04:25

One has to wonder how Betts is these days. A reunion of the remaining original members, along with Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks sitting in, would be great.

Date: March 1, 2017 05:31

dmay
One has to wonder how Betts is these days. A reunion of the remaining original members, along with Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks sitting in, would be great.

From what I have read on the Allman Bros forum Betts playing is erratic these days. Some night he plays well while other nights he struggles.

As far as a reunion there are a lot of things going against it. Gregg is having health issues, Butch Trucks is dead and Derek Trucks had stated he has moved on and would not participate.

IMHO it would suffer without Butch Trucks drumming but I could see some one off shows being decent if Betts and Haynes joined and they can find a drummer who meshes with Jaimoe.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 1, 2017 05:45

I saw Dickey in a guest spot with Tedeschi Trucks @ the Beacon in 2013. He was embarrassing, maybe drunk. He couldn't play in time with the band on songs he wrote and played hundreds of times.

The Allmans had a great run, but it's over. Butch, Duane, and Berry are gone. Gregg is in ill health. Derek has moved on. Leave it alone.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 1, 2017 12:48

I was blown away the psychedelic inner cover art by Wonder Graphics.

Date: March 1, 2017 16:46

ab
I saw Dickey in a guest spot with Tedeschi Trucks @ the Beacon in 2013. He was embarrassing, maybe drunk. He couldn't play in time with the band on songs he wrote and played hundreds of times.

The Allmans had a great run, but it's over. Butch, Duane, and Berry are gone. Gregg is in ill health. Derek has moved on. Leave it alone.

As a big fan of the Allman Brothers who has seen many of the lineups over the years, and feel the final band lineup with Haynes and Trucks was the best post Duane, I don't disagree but I would not be surprised if there was a reunion with Dickey and Haynes on guitars at some point even if it was just another run at the Beacon Theater as there would be $$$ to be made and there is still a loyal fan base. I would pay to go see a reunion of that type.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home