Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657Next
Current Page: 53 of 57
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin stuff
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 30, 2022 01:50

I always found it amusing that the Stones, at least Mick & Keith seemed a little jealous of Led Zeppelin. Much like John Lennon always seemed jealous of the Stones after he no longer had a group.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: September 30, 2022 20:30

In both cases, it probably had to do with 'sex appeal'...Truth is most considered Zeppelin, 'music to @!$#'to', and not the Stones...

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: September 30, 2022 21:35

ThePaleRider
In both cases, it probably had to do with 'sex appeal'...Truth is most considered Zeppelin, 'music to @!$#'to', and not the Stones...

I disagree with the Stones not being music to @!$# to. Midnight Rambler on Ya-Ya's as an example.

Posted by: stonesriff ()
Date: September 30, 2022 22:41

Jealous????? Where in the hell are you getting that from?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 1, 2022 00:02

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 1, 2022 23:00

stonesriff
Jealous????? Where in the hell are you getting that from?

I'll quote Mick Jagger:
Jimmy Page is quite the rage, I cannot see the reason why.

I think they felt threatened. Led Zeppelin was hot and drew just as many fans to their concerts as the Stones. Personally I listen more, a lot more, to the Stones. But do deny Led Zeppelin's brilliance is a bit petty. There was room for two great bands in the 70s.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 1, 2022 23:31

Wow, that's some amazing video from Bath. Hope it gets a official release.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 2, 2022 00:07

Vanilla Zeppelin ...

[blabbermouth.net]

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: November 15, 2022 23:26

A source in Vancouver told me yesterday that a promoter in Vancouver is trying to book Robert Plant for Vancouver next year, just to let some Vancouver Zep fans in the loop

OT: 50 years ago, ‘Houses of the Holy’ was released.
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: March 28, 2023 18:38

[www.instagram.com]

Jimmy Page -
On this day, 50 years ago to the day, ‘Houses of the Holy’ was released.

My original idea for the opening tracks for ‘Houses of the Holy’ was that a short overture would be a rousing instrumental introduction with layered electric guitars that would segue in to ’The Seasons’, later to be titled ‘The Rain Song’. Again there would be a contrasting acoustic guitar instrumental movement with melotron that could lead to the first vocal of the album and the first verse of the song.

‘The Seasons’ was a memo to myself as a reminder of the sequence of the song and various ideas I’d had for it in its embryonic stage. I’d worked on it over one evening at home. During the routining of the overture now titled ‘The Plumpton and Worcester Races’, the half time section was born and the overture shaped in to the song, ‘The Song Remains The Same’. These rehearsals were done in Puddle Town on the River Piddle in Dorset, UK.

The first set of recordings were done at Olympic Studios with George Chkiantz.

We then came to record at Stargroves, Sir Mick Jagger’s country home, and, like Headley Grange, with the Rolling Stones recording truck.

‘The Song Remains The Same’ was played on a Fender 12 string, the same one used on Becks Bolero, with my trusty Les Paul number 1 on overdubs in a standard tuning. The ‘Rain Song’ was an unorthodox tuning on acoustic and electric guitars. On live shows, it became a work-out feature for the double neck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-28 18:43 by spikenyc.

Re: OT: 50 years ago, ‘Houses of the Holy’ was released.
Date: March 28, 2023 18:50

New video posted by Jimmy Page.
Beautiful!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 28, 2023 18:55

And oddly, Houses of the Holy ... the song ... is NOT on that album! It was included on the next album Physical Graffiti.

Date: March 28, 2023 19:17

HOTH is my favorite LZ album.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 28, 2023 19:32

spikenyc
Beautiful!

[www.youtube.com]

That is indeed a beauty... thumbs up

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: March 28, 2023 19:56

spikenyc
Beautiful!

[www.youtube.com]

This, I think, would have made Houses a better album.

Date: March 29, 2023 18:53

Led Zeppelin - Best Concert Ever

5 hrs of their best live stuff edited together

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 31, 2023 22:35

Thats an excellent video, well done Jimmy. Only question I'd have is WHY was this not included on the deluxe remasters they just did like 10 years ago? There was a lot of crap on those and this would have been a welcome addition. So, good to see now but can't imagine why they're holding anything back still. There's been more than enough avenues to get everything out there by now.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: March 31, 2023 22:51

Apparently Jimmy knew it existed but lost it . He only recently found it again. Will be included on the Extra Huge Delux Edition

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: March 31, 2023 23:31

BeastyBurdeny
A source in Vancouver told me yesterday that a promoter in Vancouver is trying to book Robert Plant for Vancouver next year, just to let some Vancouver Zep fans in the loop

Thanks for the heads up Beasty!

Date: April 1, 2023 00:22

Page releases LZ demo that would become The Rain Song…

[apple.news]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-01 00:24 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 1, 2023 07:46

In Ronnie Woods book he describes a meeting he had with Peter Grant, Bonzo , Robert and John Paul where they asked him if he was interested in maybe replacing Page.
I’ve often wondered if he dreamt this or if they were playing a joke on him or what.
Nobody loves Ronnie more than I do but can you imagine that awkward moment at rehearsal-
“Ok, let’s start with The Song Remains The Same and follow it with the Rain Song”
I have a brother and good friend who swear Jimmy Page is the best guitar player who ever lived, I’ve never really had a strong argument against them.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 1, 2023 17:55

lem motlow
I have a brother and good friend who swear Jimmy Page is the best guitar player who ever lived, I’ve never really had a strong argument against them.

Too bad he - more often than not - came up with what Stu called "bullshit Chinese riffs".

I think Page cant help it : give him a guitar tuned in open G he produces the strange-sounding Dancing Days.
Now think of the jewels Mick and Keith came up with with the same tuning...

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: April 1, 2023 20:09

lem motlow
In Ronnie Woods book he describes a meeting he had with Peter Grant, Bonzo , Robert and John Paul where they asked him if he was interested in maybe replacing Page.
I’ve often wondered if he dreamt this or if they were playing a joke on him or what.
Nobody loves Ronnie more than I do but can you imagine that awkward moment at rehearsal-
“Ok, let’s start with The Song Remains The Same and follow it with the Rain Song”

Hilarious story. Did Ronnie really write that? Reminds me of Michael Schenker's almost equally weird claim that the Stones wanted him to replace Mick Taylor, although Schenker was, of course, a fantastic guitar player.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-01 20:16 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 2, 2023 23:59

Paddy
BeastyBurdeny

Thanks for the heads up Beasty!

Saw him twice in Vancouver, once in 88 and the other time with the Band of Joy tour...2013 or something, at the Queen E. Fabulous show(s).

Date: April 3, 2023 00:09

Just let the Guru speak:

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 3, 2023 21:03

TheflyingDutchman
Just let the Guru speak:

Took him almost a full minute to say, "Led Zeppelin is Jimmy Page".

Now, without trying to disrespect the guru, I don't think he's got it quite right there.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 7, 2023 06:27

treaclefingers
TheflyingDutchman
Just let the Guru speak:

Now, without trying to disrespect the guru, I don't think he's got it quite right there.

They never took off?

He projects yet doesn't need to. Zep were and are so much bigger than the Stones.

Goddamn. Sometimes Keith needs to learn "No comment".

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 7, 2023 08:47

dcba
lem motlow

Too bad he - more often than not - came up with what Stu called "bullshit Chinese riffs".

I think Page cant help it : give him a guitar tuned in open G he produces the strange-sounding Dancing Days.
Now think of the jewels Mick and Keith came up with with the same tuning...

Going to California is in open G , that turned out pretty well.Between your Stu quote and Keith’s comments I’m starting to think Zep was a little over their heads.
Page uses at least six or seven different open tunings and some that are hybrids that he made his own version of known tunings,Stu was a good boogie piano player but pretty basic.

They used him on Rock and Roll and Boogie With Stu but I doubt he could’ve kept up with something like Kashmir for instance, it probably was like Chinese arithmetic to him.Songs like Ten years Gone,Since I’ve been loving you,Heartbreaker,Black Dog,When the Levee Breaks and on and on. That shit is untouchable.
Keith sitting there with his pride bandanna, “ it never took off” he couldn’t have looked more stupid.

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: April 7, 2023 09:25

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
TheflyingDutchman
Just let the Guru speak:

They never took off?

He projects yet doesn't need to. Zep were and are so much bigger than the Stones.

They never took off "for him" he says, with some sincerity in his voice. To me, at least in this instance, he didn't mean to disparage the musical tastes of those who enjoy Led Zeppelin. I know others who feel the same way as Keith about Zep. I sure don't, but I guess that's the way it is for some people.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: April 7, 2023 09:44

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
TheflyingDutchman
Just let the Guru speak:

They never took off?

When I saw that clip a few years back I understood Keith’s “they never took off” comment as a reference to their music. It’s too heavy for Keith and also as a pun/ reference to the Zeppelin in their name, supposed to fly. I didn’t think he meant their popularity. He’d probably or possibly has said the same for Deep Purple & Black Sabbath.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657Next
Current Page: 53 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1889
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home