Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253...LastNext
Current Page: 48 of 57
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin stuff
Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: October 6, 2020 20:15

U.S. Supreme Court refuses to hear Led Zeppelin ...

they sound just like my parents.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 7, 2020 05:45

I was listening to the BBC Sessions, disc 1 today, for the first time in probably 10 years. Some pretty damn good stuff, disc 2 will be tomorrow!

Very nice versions of I Can't Quit You Baby (don't like the original album version too much), What Is & Should Never Be, Something Else. Disc 2 has Immigrant Song, Black Dog ... I can't wait!

OT: Led Zeppelin stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 14, 2020 23:39

Jimmy Page has no regrets and isn’t finished yet, he promises Classic Rock

By Paul Brannigan

[www.loudersound.com]

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: October 14, 2020 23:43

Based on the above post, I ordered and received the Zep BBC complete sessions. Love it although I do have to say their earliest stuff I like best, later on when it became 10 minute plus drudgery, I totally tuned out of their entire scene. But this 3 cd set has some great early performances from when I still knew them at "The New Yardbirds" and they were in their primal glory.

jb

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 15, 2020 00:44

Lol I see Jimmy is still pushing the "I'm not done" even though he hasn't done anything in over 20 years. Still waiting on it Jimmy, I'd love to hear it. You're one of the best around. Wish it was more than words cause I'm sure you could still crush it.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 15, 2020 14:55

RollingFreak
Lol I see Jimmy is still pushing the "I'm not done" even though he hasn't done anything in over 20 years. Still waiting on it Jimmy, I'd love to hear it. You're one of the best around. Wish it was more than words cause I'm sure you could still crush it.

Yes, he's been teasing the music-press and fans alike for far too long. All he seemingly does is obsess over his Led Zeppelin past, row with his neighbour, Robbie Williams, over housing renovations, and give interviews. He's all but retired.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 15, 2020 22:06

RollingFreak

Maybe he's gonna remix all the Led Zeppelin albums with Giles Martin! And then do a "remix" of Kashmir with The Legion Of Doom!

Date: October 29, 2020 22:34

Jimmy Page on His Vision for Led Zeppelin

For the release of a stunning new book, ‘Anthology,’ the guitarist and producer goes deep on several Zep classics, the excellence of John Bonham, and why he’s fascinated with hip-hop

by Kory Grow

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 29, 2020 22:52

bye bye johnny

why he’s fascinated with hip-hop

The horror, the horror...

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: October 30, 2020 01:02

bye bye johnny
Jimmy Page on His Vision for Led Zeppelin

For the release of a stunning new book, ‘Anthology,’ the guitarist and producer goes deep on several Zep classics, the excellence of John Bonham, and why he’s fascinated with hip-hop

by Kory Grow

[www.rollingstone.com]

Great interview! Thanks for posting.
As far as the hip hop comment goes,
Jimmy realizes he is a musician first,
that creates music for people to enjoy,
and if they want to use his music to create new music for more people to enjoy,
then he's all for it.
Riff master indeed!
smileys with beer

Date: December 6, 2020 14:16

Jimmy Page talks about "Scarlet" in this Total Guitar interview.

Jimmy Page: ”Whole Lotta Love was so fresh and it still is. If somebody plays that riff it brings a smile to people’s faces”

A new, all-encompassing interview with the Led Zeppelin icon on his evolution as a guitarist, writing rock's greatest albums and the gear behind them

By Chris Byrd
Dec 2, 2020

[www.guitarworld.com]

Date: December 6, 2020 14:50

bye bye johnny
Jimmy Page talks about "Scarlet" in this Total Guitar interview.

]Jimmy Page: ”Whole Lotta Love was so fresh and it still is. If somebody plays that riff it brings a smile to people’s faces”

A new, all-encompassing interview with the Led Zeppelin icon on his evolution as a guitarist, writing rock's greatest albums and the gear behind them

PR'ing his own legacy is pretty pathetic in my book. I much prefer Mick's attitude who,in interviews, pretends to not remember what song was on was album.
It's much classier! cool smiley

Date: December 7, 2020 12:57

dcba

PR'ing his own legacy is pretty pathetic in my book. I much prefer Mick's attitude who,in interviews, pretends to not remember what song was on was album.
It's much classier! cool smiley

I don't disagree. Page is certainly a little obsessed with his legacy. Mick's 'forgetfulness' is quite hilarious at times; especially on stage. 'And now, Live with Me, from Exile on Main Street!'

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: December 8, 2020 01:41

What ever happened to the new live album they talked about 2-3 years ago now?

Date: December 8, 2020 03:21

Reading about the B-bender in that article and then listening to Hot Dog, wow, that's got to be Page's worst guitar playing.

Date: December 8, 2020 03:31

Are you working on any new music at the moment?

Page: Well, I've pulled me guitars out, lockdown, you know, and blah blah blah blah blah blah....

Page would make a wonderful politician - he never answers the question, or any of the following ones, specifically.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 8, 2020 04:08

Back around that time of the In Through the Outdoor release, I remember reading various interviews where Page talked about the B-bender as if it was Gods gift to guitar players.
He sort of became obsessed with it, and it affected alot of his playing for awhile (for better or worse). It was featured on the Death Wish II soundtrack, Honeydrippers, The Firm - also on the Stones' One Hit (To the Body).
Here's an interview of him in '85 talking about it: Jimmy Page B-bender...a bit Spinal Tap-esque haha...at the end he mentions the problem of playing "lots of horrible wrong notes with it"...lol...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-08 04:15 by Hairball.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 8, 2020 11:04

GasLightStreet

Page: Well, I've pulled me guitars out, lockdown, you know, and blah blah blah blah blah blah....

Page would make a wonderful politician - he never answers the question, or any of the following ones, specifically.

Its truly become an art at this point. As always, I hope its true, but the day Page shows some real signs of wanting to put out a record or play a live show at the moment is the day we all see this pandemic finished and wiped out, which seems a long ways away.

I truly do wonder what he does around his house all day. I seriously wonder if he actually ever gets the urge to work on material or orchestrate a live stage show. Maybe it really is just a matter of poor timing all the time? In the same way I wonder what a guy like Plant thinks, who's always out there and always doing something newish. Its funny how the two are essentially polar opposites. In the same vein, I'm always amazed Page doesn't release more live Zeppelin stuff. For how much he tends to live in the past, there's a remarkably small amount of officially released live material from them. I was really hoping thats what those remasters would yield a lot of and they gave us almost nothing I think besides that first record. Seemed like the last gasp to get a lot of it out there, and the perfect opportunity to touch on each era if you don't happen to have full shows.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: December 8, 2020 11:32

guys , Jimmy is 77 years old on 9th jan 21

Date: December 8, 2020 13:37

What known and circulating Led Zeppelin soundboard recordings' could see a release, realistically? I know the 1977 Seattle show has been widely circulated, but, my understanding is that Page is largely dissatisfied with their performance. Are there any other performances?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 8, 2020 13:41

RollingFreak
GasLightStreet

Its truly become an art at this point. As always, I hope its true, but the day Page shows some real signs of wanting to put out a record or play a live show at the moment is the day we all see this pandemic finished and wiped out, which seems a long ways away.

I truly do wonder what he does around his house all day. I seriously wonder if he actually ever gets the urge to work on material or orchestrate a live stage show. Maybe it really is just a matter of poor timing all the time? In the same way I wonder what a guy like Plant thinks, who's always out there and always doing something newish. Its funny how the two are essentially polar opposites. In the same vein, I'm always amazed Page doesn't release more live Zeppelin stuff. For how much he tends to live in the past, there's a remarkably small amount of officially released live material from them. I was really hoping thats what those remasters would yield a lot of and they gave us almost nothing I think besides that first record. Seemed like the last gasp to get a lot of it out there, and the perfect opportunity to touch on each era if you don't happen to have full shows.
I have thought the same things myself as also the missed oppurtunities for more live releases from the Vaults which Mr. Page guards with his life . I also can't not help think about the missed oppurtunities for raking it in ($ ) from all of us diehards who are aging just as fast as Mr. Page is . Think about it live shows on DVD's and CD's and streams as well . Say what you want about the Grateful Dead but they are light years ahead of Led Zep and the Stones who do get credit for mining the vaults but not in enough output . I would buy this stuff up in a second !

Date: December 8, 2020 16:25

RollingFreak
GasLightStreet

His only solo album was in 1988.

That's a lot of poor timing considering that since then he's worked on the Zeppelin catalog twice regarding reissues, or maybe it's three times, it doesn't really matter. He's done absolutely little.

Led Zeppelin was it for him. He's floundered ever since. What he did with the Black Crowes was awesome, with Coverdale, a joke, but... so what. He's mired in the past and it clearly was heavy enough to have him caught in it, even Plant gave him some time to have a slight revamp, minus the hype of Led Zeppelin, and once they got past the Led Zeppelin pile of warm mashed potatoes it wasn't very good (obviously - after the album and tour it was over).

Obviously he doesn't need to say anything, his not saying anything is enough, which is completely supported by his not doing anything. It doesn't matter. If he put out a solo album now no one would notice. Just like the first time.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 8, 2021 03:15

THE AGE --- 8 September 2021

ROCKMAN

OT-"Becoming Led Zeppelin" documentary- (Charlie/Stones Content)
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 5, 2021 05:37

Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page: Band Refused ‘Miserable’ Requests to Make Past Docs Because They Weren’t About the Music

Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page didn’t hold back in detailing why the band has refused to participate in a single documentary until now.

Bernard MacMahon’s “Becoming Led Zeppelin” premieres at the Venice Film Festival Saturday afternoon, and tickets for all 12 press and public screenings of the film have sold out — easily making it one of the most sought-after movies at the fest. Part of the film’s appeal is its rarity, given the band has never taken part in a film apart from “The Song Remains the Same” (1976), which was more of a concert movie.

Page, the only band member to attend the Venice press conference, told reporters at a press conference that there had been requests to make a documentary in the past “but they’d been pretty miserable.

“Yes. Miserable,” he reiterated when chuckles went up around the room, “and also to the point where they’d want to be concentrating on anything but the music, and consequently I would recoil immediately from that sort of thing.”

But with “Becoming Led Zeppelin,” Page said, “It’s everything about the music and what would make the music tick. And it’s complete versions of song, not just a little sample and then talking heads. This is something in a totally different genre.”

Indeed, the documentary plays songs such as “Good Times Bad Times” and “Ramble On” in full, and to great effect. New footage and angles of well-known gigs breathe new life into iconic performances, and left Venice audiences enthralled. Perhaps to Page’s point, the film is also very much on the band’s terms, with the focus almost entirely on their musical journey rather than any personal hardships or tensions within the group during their early years.

The stars, Page said, “literally aligned” for the four original band members, which include Page, John Paul Jones, Robert Plant and the late John Bonham.

“You can see [we] have different careers and ways of approaching things, but when you come together, there’s an explosion that doesn’t stop,” said Page. “The fact that the first album comes out in January 1970 but the second album [also comes out] in 1970, so with all the touring between America and England and all the recording of bits of footage here and there, the momentum was absolutely— I was going a million miles an hour. That’s what they’ve managed to capture.”

MacMahon, whose previous credits include “American Epic,” described the movie as part-musical and part-how-to guide for aspiring musicians. The director and producer Allison McGourty, who also co-wrote the film, pitched the movie as a complex storyboard of the band’s timeline that was crafted into a leather-bound book, which was presented to Page.

“I guess when we first met, we were a bit nervous with each other, but the conduit was the storyboard,” said Page. “And, for me, because it was so accurate and researched, so deep. I thought, ‘They’ve really done it. They really understand what it was about.’ I just couldn’t wait to see whether it was all going to happen, and it did, and it was a wonderful experience to do. And it’s absolutely true and faithful to the storyboard as you see it on the screen.”

McGourty noted that “Becoming,” which had a script to work off, employed an “unusual” way of production that’s more akin to a “feature film way of making a documentary.” The producer said the team would next like to pursue a feature film based on the band.

As for why Led Zeppelin broke up shortly after the 1980 death of its legendary drummer Bonham, in contrast with the Rolling Stones and their decision to continue without Charlie Watts, who died at 82 last month, Page was philosophical about the band’s ethos.

“I love the Stones, I gotta tell you that. I loved Charlie’s playing and the way he locked in with Bill and Keith,” said Page.

“But what was different with Led Zeppelin and most other bands is we would go on the stage and it would be improvising all the way through the set. So from [1968] when you start all the way through to losing John Bonham, a lot of improvising and riffs would just come up [on stage]. When we lost John it was inconceivable [to continue playing]. What were you going to do, lose the improvising? It was an easy decision.”

“Becoming Led Zeppelin” includes extremely rare footage of a Bonham interview that took one year to track down. The drummer was speaking with an Australian journalist who didn’t identify himself, which meant that MacMahon had to go to “every Australian journalist from that period and ask, ‘Do you know this voice?'”

Eventually, someone recognized the voice, but the journalist had died years ago. Incredibly, the National Film and Sound Archive of Australia had 30,000 unmarked reels of tape from interviews, and after a year of going through every single tape, the recording with Bonham was discovered.

“The thing about John is that he is living in this film,” said Page.
[variety.com]

Re: OT-"Becoming Led Zeppelin" documentary- (Charlie/Stones Content)
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 5, 2021 05:44

Trailer for the film.. looks quite good.
Shame Plant wasn't on hand for the Venice premier today.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 5, 2021 07:20

Thanks for posting - I've been looking forward to this release.
-swiss

Date: September 5, 2021 17:35

Just my opnion but... thanks for the laughs! >grinning smiley<

Page should seriously rethink the imagery he uses to sell the band these days... I mean an airship and footage of the band where smoke goes up while the band plays. The cliche-o-meter goes to the red and beyond, here.

You can't be more "Spinal Tap"-ish than this. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 8, 2021 22:36

[www.youtube.com]

Never saw this raw and Bonzo and JP play off each other - JP guitar solo tone

Led Zeppelin Headley Grange 1970 (home movie)

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 8, 2021 22:39

I think they show the rolling stones recording mobile in front of the house

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 8, 2021 23:52

dcba
Just my opnion but... thanks for the laughs! >grinning smiley<

Page should seriously rethink the imagery he uses to sell the band these days... I mean an airship and footage of the band where smoke goes up while the band plays. The cliche-o-meter goes to the red and beyond, here.

You can't be more "Spinal Tap"-ish than this. >grinning smiley<

I agree. This trailer is seriously underwhelming.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253...LastNext
Current Page: 48 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1892
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home