Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4243444546474849505152...LastNext
Current Page: 47 of 57
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin stuff
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 13, 2020 14:55

I liked the recent LZ reissues because at least they came with something. Maybe I'm odd in that I enjoy hearing things as they are created, which is why I would love a Stones anthology of studio leftovers from 1972-1979.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 13, 2020 15:10

coffeepotman
What is with all the hate.....I don't post must, I check in almost every day and I get so much hate. Hate for Jimmy, hate for Mick, hate for Paul, hate for everybody you do not agree with....it's ugly people.

I've got nothing but love for these guys, the amount of joy they have brought to my life is immeasurable. Their music has saved my life so many times, I could never repay them in a thousand lifetimes.

Right now I'm listening to In The Light off of Physical Graffiti, this song alone has saved me from so much, just knowing there is a light....

Great post!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 14, 2020 20:16

Funny in a sad way to read this from 2014:

2000 LYFH
Jimmy Page Busy Writing New Songs: 'I've Got Lots of Material'

[www.rollingstone.com]

“I’ve got lots of material I’ve written on acoustic guitar. Lots and lots..."

"I do have material and a passion for it. I need to work towards it, and now I can without all the other side issues going on..."

"I intend to start getting to a point where I could play some gigs, I love playing live...”

Almost as bad as the Stones talking about their new album ("coming along fine, sounds great"), but at least the Stones continued to play live - wtf is up with Page?.

OT: The Supremes to do Stairway To Heaven?
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 14, 2020 18:29

Ahh, the battle goes on. Why do I find myself hearing the Beatles singing "You never give me my money" as I read of the plaintiff in this case appeal? Geez, think of how the Stones and others could be hit for using blues motifs in their music. What I am trying to picture is a bunch of old men and women (the Supremes) listening to the songs in question repeatedly and going, "What in the hell am I supposed to be hearing here?"

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

Re: OT: The Supremes to do Stairway To Heaven?
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 14, 2020 19:33

So this case still isn't settled ? I thought that guy Randy something was going to get some money ? Or did the earlier ruling go in favor of Mr. Page ?

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: August 14, 2020 19:37

TheGreek
So this case still isn't settled ? I thought that guy Randy something was going to get some money ? Or did the earlier ruling go in favor of Mr. Page ?

Randy California, from the band Spirit, also died in 1997.

Date: August 14, 2020 19:58

TheGreek

"Led Zeppelin won at trial in 2016, and the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals decided in March that no retrial was necessary".

Yet this guy Michael Skidmore, trustee for the Randy Craig Wolfe Trust is going for a Hail Mary as a desperate attempt to have the case looked at again.
Seems futile to me, and a 99.999999999999999% chance he/they will lose again.

*Randy California, who wrote Taurus way back when and died in 1997, never brought a lawsuit against anybody. It's the greedy trustees who are seeking money.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-14 20:00 by Hairball.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 14, 2020 20:00

Led Zeppelin's Plagiarism - see here: [iorr.org] .

Ambiguous headline by the way - I thought The Supremes should do 'Stairway To Heaven' first but then the Track went to Led Zeppelin .... winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-14 20:05 by Irix.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 14, 2020 20:24

Irix
Led Zeppelin's Plagiarism - see here: [iorr.org] .

Ambiguous headline by the way - I thought The Supremes should do 'Stairway To Heaven' . winking smiley

That's what I thought!

Although I guess, stranger things have happened...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: August 16, 2020 09:27

Has anybody else seen the Hot Wheels tie in with Led Zeppelin?

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: August 16, 2020 19:55

just searched for this haha
hot wheels led zep

repeat... I DON'T NEED THIS hahhaha

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 16, 2020 21:28

Hairball

Yet this guy Michael Skidmore, trustee for the Randy Craig Wolfe Trust is going for a Hail Mary as a desperate attempt to have the casjavascript:editor_tools_handle_i()e looked at again.

Morally he won.
Led is more and more seen as a bunch of arrongant bastards who stole stuff leftand right, never credited what should have been credited to others.
And you don't need trials or accusations to sink the heritage of a band when you have Jimmy Page. He sinks his own ship all by himself...

Date: August 16, 2020 21:34

These were being sold for 99cents each last year at various stores in the US (Walmart, etc.), as were the Beatles versions that came before.
I had quite a few Hot Wheels in the early '70's, but they were of a much higher quality than how they're made today - back then they were metal, today cheap plastic

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 16, 2020 21:59

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 16, 2020 22:39

Hairball

These were being sold for 99cents each last year at various stores in the US (Walmart, etc.), as were the Beatles versions that came before.

AC/DC, Grateful Dead and The Who were on "Hot Wheels" as well...

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: August 17, 2020 02:14

When the Levee Breaks - the blues symbolizing the times we are living now.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: August 17, 2020 10:12

dcba
Hairball

Yet this guy Michael Skidmore, trustee for the Randy Craig Wolfe Trust is going for a Hail Mary as a desperate attempt to have the casjavascript:editor_tools_handle_i()e looked at again.

Morally he won.
Led is more and more seen as a bunch of arrongant bastards who stole stuff leftand right, never credited what should have been credited to others.
And you don't need trials or accusations to sink the heritage of a band when you have Jimmy Page. He sinks his own ship all by himself...

Of course this kind of descending scale have been recorded way before Taurus, so the the question is as always, who plagiarize who? For example, listen to Arthur Hamilton´s "Cry me a river" or "To Catch a shad" by the Modern Folk Quartet, they are both on Spotify.

Date: August 17, 2020 10:21

You're 100%right but to me the tipping point is Led Zeppelin opened for Spirit and RC probably played "Taurus" with Page in attendance.
Call me a melodramatic dude but I can see Page looking intensely at RC's hands nd making mental notes for "the future".

Date: August 17, 2020 10:25

Sounds like this Michael Skidmore character is more of a sore loser than a "moral winner". Everybody already knows how Zep plagiarized, but it really wasn't as much as some make it out to be.
Again, "Led Zeppelin won at trial in 2016, and the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals decided in March that no retrial was necessary" (Stairway)yet here he goes again against all odds out of greed and desperation.
And again, Randy California never brought a lawsuit against anybody, yet somehow this Skidmore guy feels he is owed for something he was never involved in to begin with? Ridiculous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-17 10:26 by Hairball.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: August 17, 2020 11:12

dcba
You're 100%right but to me the tipping point is Led Zeppelin opened for Spirit and RC probably played "Taurus" with Page in attendance.
Call me a melodramatic dude but I can see Page looking intensely at RC's hands nd making mental notes for "the future".

Yes, but my point is that Randy California didn´t "own" that chord progression in the first place.

Date: August 17, 2020 13:38

Hairball
TheGreek

"Led Zeppelin won at trial in 2016, and the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals decided in March that no retrial was necessary".

Yet this guy Michael Skidmore, trustee for the Randy Craig Wolfe Trust is going for a Hail Mary as a desperate attempt to have the case looked at again.

*Randy California, who wrote Taurus way back when and died in 1997, never brought a lawsuit against anybody. It's the greedy trustees who are seeking money.
Incredible , I would have to think the party throwing the last second hail Mary would have to have some bucks as the legal fees and court fees are not freebies . Very expensive gamble and I bet this party still loses . Just when I thought this case was relegated to the dust bin of history I guess this party found an ambulance chaser to take the case on . It's going to cost in legal fees and court costs and filing fees and lawyers aren't in the business of doing freebies .

Date: August 17, 2020 13:44

Hairball
Funny in a sad way to read this from 2014:

2000 LYFH
Jimmy Page Busy Writing New Songs: 'I've Got Lots of Material'

[www.rollingstone.com]

“I’ve got lots of material I’ve written on acoustic guitar. Lots and lots..."

"I do have material and a passion for it. I need to work towards it, and now I can without all the other side issues going on..."

"I intend to start getting to a point where I could play some gigs, I love playing live...”

Almost as bad as the Stones talking about their new album ("coming along fine, sounds great"), but at least the Stones continued to play live - wtf is up with Page?.
What a big disappointment for the fans of Jimmy Page and that legendary Les Paul tone of his to not continue to write and record material . So sad , but I guess he is content to mine the already mined by multiple times of the ever newest remix and studio nuggets of Led Zeppelins recorded output . I guess being the primary caretaker of the Led Zeppelin catalog and the owner of the written and recorded material he can do as he wishes , but still a darn shame for us fans . I guess the creative well ran dry . Mr. Page doesn't owe us fans anything anyway and he should spend his retirement as he sees fit .

Date: August 17, 2020 13:49

dcba
For sure without a doubt and Jimmy Page was nobodies dummy .

Date: August 17, 2020 19:41

Svartmer
dcba

Yes, but my point is that Randy California didn´t "own" that chord progression in the first place.

And he certainly knew that which is probably why never bothered to sue Led Zeppelin as his own "borrowing" of that chord progression may have been exposed from wherever he might have taken it.
If I recall, Page said in court he was partly inspired by some medieval folk music along with a bit Mary Poppins' Chim Chim Cheree (lol), but he never mentioned anything about Taurus.
How this trustee thinks he has a chance to prove otherwise is baffling - already two strikes against him, so maybe three strikes and he's out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-17 20:04 by Hairball.

Date: October 5, 2020 18:11

(Not The Onion) :

"LED ZEPPELIN Celebrates 50th Anniversary Of 'III' Album With Reissue Of...

'Immigrant Song' Japanese 7" Single"
[www.blabbermouth.net]

grinning smiley Page c'mon get a grip of yerself, mate!

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: October 5, 2020 19:12

I wonder why Page doesn’t put out an archival live vault series? Supposedly, he owns the master soundboard reels to almost every Led Zeppelin performance. It would be amazing to hear high quality, professionally mixed editions instead of the often inferior recordings that circulate as bootlegs. It was a nice treat hearing the 1969 Olympia Theatre concert officially issued with the Deluxe Edition of Led Zeppelin I. I’ve heard that Mr. Page is notoriously picky about what he deems release-worthy, but at least if he releases the material, he has some input in the production. When he has passed on to Valhalla, whoever controls his estate will undoubtedly be releasing all of it.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 5, 2020 19:17

dcba

Exactly

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 5, 2020 19:28

Javadave
I wonder why Page doesn’t put out an archival live vault series? Supposedly, he owns the master soundboard reels to almost every Led Zeppelin performance. It would be amazing to hear high quality, professionally mixed editions instead of the often inferior recordings that circulate as bootlegs. It was a nice treat hearing the 1969 Olympia Theatre concert officially issued with the Deluxe Edition of Led Zeppelin I. I’ve heard that Mr. Page is notoriously picky about what he deems release-worthy, but at least if he releases the material, he has some input in the production. When he has passed on to Valhalla, whoever controls his estate will undoubtedly be releasing all of it.

There was a rat in the kitchen that separated mr page from his tapes...

Date: October 6, 2020 00:38

Not a surprise, the fat lady has sung, three strikes you're out, case closed.

From Variety: Led Zeppelin Wins ‘Stairway to Heaven’ Copyright Battle as Supreme Court Refuses to Hear Case

"The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday declined to take up the long-running copyright battle over Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven,” leaving in place a ruling that rejected infringement allegations over the 1971 song.
The justices denied a petition aimed at reviving the case, ending six years of litigation that the song’s writers, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, plagiarized the song’s iconic intro from the 1968 song “Taurus” by the group Spirit".

More.> Stairway

And from the BBC: Led Zeppelin's Stairway To Heaven copyright battle is finally over

"The final possible legal challenge to Led Zeppelin's ownership of Stairway To Heaven has been defeated. The band were sued for copyright in 2014 over claims they had stolen the song's opening riff from Taurus,
by a US band called Spirit. Led Zeppelin won the case in 2016, but it was revived on appeal in 2018. A court of appeals upheld the original verdict earlier this year. Now, the US Supreme Court has declined to hear the case, definitively ending it".

More.> Stairway

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-06 00:46 by Hairball.

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: October 6, 2020 18:51

Led Zeppelin wins ‘Stairway to Heaven’ copyright battle after U.S. Supreme Court denies case

Led Zeppelin was the victor Monday in the very last step of its “Stairway to Heaven” copyright battle.

The U.S. Supreme Court said in a short caption on its website that it “denied” a request by the estate of guitar prodigy Randy Wolfe to hear a last-ditch appeal in the long-running case.

The rejection means a lower court verdict that found Led Zeppelin didn’t infringe on Wolfe’s work will stand.

Wolfe’s estate filed the underlying lawsuit more than five years ago, claiming the instantly recognizable opening of Led Zeppelin’s signature song “Stairway to Heaven” is nearly identical to a guitar riff played by Wolfe in “Taurus,” a copyright-protected song he wrote for his 1960s California band Spirit.

A federal court jury in Los Angeles ultimately sided with the iconic British band after superstar singer Robert Plant, 72, and guitarist Jimmy Page, 76, testified at trial.

Wolfe, also known as Randy California, died in 1997 in a tragic drowning while saving his son from a riptide in Hawaii. His sisters supported the lawsuit brought by trustee Michael Skidmore.

Speaking to the Daily News after the 2016 jury verdict, one sister blasted the court’s ruling that barred jurors for hearing Wolfe’s personal recording of his guitar composition. The jury only heard live musicians playing from sheet music in court.

“The jury didn’t get to compare apples to apples because they never got to hear Taurus. There’s no way they could make a ruling in our favor with what they had to listen to,” sister Marla Randall told The News.

Randall said it was important to note the jury did decide that Page and Plant had “access” to Taurus, despite Plant’s claim he didn’t own any Spirit albums and had no memory of ever seeing the band play live.

“The jury didn’t (believe Plant). They ruled in our favor on access,” she told The News. “It’s been a roller coaster having to relive a lot of stuff, but I’m glad we were here for our brother.”

Wolfe’s estate appealed the jury decision all the way to the Supreme Court.

In paperwork asking the country’s highest court to intervene, the estate called the Ninth Circuit’s decision to uphold the jury verdict “a disaster for the creatives whose talent is often preyed upon.”

“This will most heavily impact historically disenfranchised communities — Black blues artists, for example, which Led Zeppelin heavily ‘borrowed’ from and sometimes had to settle with — where the composition of music was not done on paper, raising serious equal protection concerns,” the paperwork stated.

The News reached out to both sides for comment on the Monday ruling but did not immediately hear back.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4243444546474849505152...LastNext
Current Page: 47 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1954
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home