Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 57
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin - Plagiarism and other news
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 20, 2019 13:21

The what if and what could have been speculation/guessing of the Mighty Zeppelin ? Only one thing put the Zeppelin to the ground and that was the passing of John Henry Bonham . I tend to think the opposite, in regards to the greatness that still lied ahead of them and mountains and peaks that had yet to be conquered and I would like to believe that because of the virtuosity of the 4 individual members that the sky was the limit as far as there creativity and writing and performing abilities .Jimmy Page writing ability with Zeppelin intact could have really soared !

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: February 20, 2019 16:35

I actually like In The Evening a lot. It's probably in my top 5 of favourite Zep tunes.
The album as a whole is not one of their best but not the worst either (I would suggest Presence is my least favourite, and of course Coda). I sometimes tend to have a soft spot for albums that are 'generally' regarded as weak efforts: I just love Black Sabbath's Never Say Die, the Stones' Still Life and A Bigger Bang, The Kinks' Low Budget, The Road, Phobia, One For The Road and Give The People What They Want.

Returning to In Through The Out Door, to me that album has "This Is The End" written all over it. In some weird way its what I like about Zeppelin, just those ten albums, firmly locked in that decade, and thats it. Same with The Doors (6 albums).

Alrighty, enough namesdropping for now smiling smiley.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 20, 2019 18:59

I like PRESENCE. It was recorded at the same time the Stones were working on BLACK AND BLUE, it's different than their previous LPs, For Your Life and Nobody's Fault But Mine are outstanding, and to my ears the album is way better than IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR, which had they included the 3 songs left off that made CODA - and sound nothing like ITTOD - it would've been much better.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: February 20, 2019 19:08

Hey Hey What Can I Do off Coda - one of my fav led songs of all time

Date: February 20, 2019 19:20

I love Presence - Even though Page has become addicted to heroin his guitar is amazing on the record that dark sludgy tone and plant in a wheel chair wrote some great songs. I love all led records and do not get bored or skip tracks when I listen.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 20, 2019 20:28

Presence to me just never clicked as I've mentioned. Its got 2 songs that are outstanding: Nobody's Fault and Achilles. For Your Life I liked at the reunion concert, don't like it on the record. What else is on that record? Hots On For Nowhere I know I don't like. Tea For One is that sad retreat to Since I've Been Loving You, Royal Orleans I never enjoyed. Candy Store Rock just doesn't do it for me. They literally hook me right in with the opening of each album side and then completely lose me.

In Through The Out Door I've already explained what I like. Coda is barely a record but has some good stuff. Collects all the other odds and ends. IMO Wearing And Tearing is one of the best Zeppelin deep cuts of all time. Coda itself is a mixed bag, but ends on such a strong note with that song. Never get tired of that one. I loved when Page and Plant played it in the late 80s or so.

Date: February 21, 2019 01:34

As much as I consider Presence a not so good Zeppelin album, I do have to say that the guitar work is really excellent. Tone, expression, what can I say. The problem that I have is with songs like Royal Montreux, Candy Store Rock, Hots On For Nowhere. Tea For One to me is a mature version of Since I've Been Loving You, and the highpoint of Pagey's playing, I really like it.

Date: February 21, 2019 01:49

Based on what I've read, Page did a lot of work to a few tracks that were live tracks to make them sound like studio tracks to fulfill the record deal - one more studio album.

CODA is considered, technically, at the time, according to Atlantic Records, their last studio album, according to Wikipedia, anyway.

ROLLING STONE called it "paltry closure" and the "spent force" sound of a band but with the recent reissues, "Once an afterthought, Coda is now a classic Led Zeppelin album: deep lore from their road to legend."

I dig CODA.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: February 21, 2019 02:12

I remember when’s ITTOD was released...In the Evening was all over the radio...in the summer of 1980 my older brother and I went to visit my oldest brother, who was a pilot in the USAF stationed in Germany. He took us to see Led Zeppelin in Frankfurt...absolutely the loudest concert I’d ever been to...my chest thumped along with Bonham’s kick drum.

I agree with Hairball, I don’t dislike anything they’ve released...live or studio...Presence is their least accessible release though...I’ve got to be in the right mind frame to listen to it, but when Inam that album rocks...Hots On For Nowhere is a song a lot of my drummer friends say is their favorite song to play.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 21, 2019 03:43

rattler2004
I remember when’s ITTOD was released...In the Evening was all over the radio...in the summer of 1980 my older brother and I went to visit my oldest brother, who was a pilot in the USAF stationed in Germany. He took us to see Led Zeppelin in Frankfurt...absolutely the loudest concert I’d ever been to...my chest thumped along with Bonham’s kick drum.

I agree with Hairball, I don’t dislike anything they’ve released...live or studio...Presence is their least accessible release though...I’ve got to be in the right mind frame to listen to it, but when Inam that album rocks...Hots On For Nowhere is a song a lot of my drummer friends say is their favorite song to play.

Haha well rattler, I almost said that, but not quite. You must have confused me with OpenG who said: "I love all led records and do not get bored or skip tracks when I listen".
As for me, here's exactly what I said on previous page:

"I can honestly say I like every single track on every single album up until In Through the Outdoor.
Of course I like some of them better than others, but can't think of a true dud out of all of them.
And then waiting with great aniticipation for the release of In Through the Outdoor when was 17 years old with my high school friends.
Hmmm...I wouldn't call it a slap in the face or a kick in the teeth, but it was anticlimactic...had a similar feeling when Steel Wheels was released...for the most part disappointing".

So there you have it, and while In Through the Outdoor isn't the absolute worst album ever, it's the worst album by Led Zeppelin imo.

As for Presence, I've LOVED it ever since the day it was released. The two I listen to more than any others the last 40 years have been Presence and Physical Graffitti which has been my favorite since it was released.

Amazing you were able to see them live in 1980. thumbs up I've seen Page at the ARMS Benefit, Page solo, Plant solo, The Firm, and Page/Plant all several times, but never had the chance to see the mighty Zep.
Had a chance in 1977 when they played the L.A. Forum as my older brother had a ticket for me, but I was living in Arizona at the time and only 14...couldn't make it happen!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 21, 2019 08:21

OpenG

It was a B-side, wasn’t it? It certainly wasn’t a track on the original Coda LP or CD releases. It may appear on an expanded edition, however.

Date: February 21, 2019 08:45

You're right Big Al, it was the B-side of Immigrant Song.
It used to be played all the time on L.A. radio stations in the mid-late '70's (I think there was even a 'Breakfast with Zeppelin' type show that played all Zep songs),
and I waited for it to air so I could tape it on to cassette. It was not on the original Coda, but was included on later editions.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: February 21, 2019 10:00

Hairball
rattler2004

Haha well rattler, I almost said that, but not quite. You must have confused me with OpenG who said: "I love all led records and do not get bored or skip tracks when I listen".
As for me, here's exactly what I said on previous page:

"I can honestly say I like every single track on every single album up until In Through the Outdoor.
Of course I like some of them better than others, but can't think of a true dud out of all of them.
And then waiting with great aniticipation for the release of In Through the Outdoor when was 17 years old with my high school friends.
Hmmm...I wouldn't call it a slap in the face or a kick in the teeth, but it was anticlimactic...had a similar feeling when Steel Wheels was released...for the most part disappointing".

So there you have it, and while In Through the Outdoor isn't the absolute worst album ever, it's the worst album by Led Zeppelin imo.

As for Presence, I've LOVED it ever since the day it was released. The two I listen to more than any others the last 40 years have been Presence and Physical Graffitti which has been my favorite since it was released.

Amazing you were able to see them live in 1980. thumbs up I've seen Page at the ARMS Benefit, Page solo, Plant solo, The Firm, and Page/Plant all several times, but never had the chance to see the mighty Zep.
Had a chance in 1977 when they played the L.A. Forum as my older brother had a ticket for me, but I was living in Arizona at the time and only 14...couldn't make it happen!

Hi Hairball,
I'm going to make you "jealous" (but not really winking smiley). I saw LZ in 1971 in Liverpool, UK. I thought they were a welcome new addition to the likes of (off course) the Stones, but also The Who. LZ's first album was very promising. In that same early year I also saw the Stones in Bristol and The Who in Liverpool.
Here comes the disappointment ... where the Stones and The Who were really great live bands, LZ was totally lost to me. They copied their album songs perfectly, but ... that's not what live concerts are for. Interaction, great mood, excitement. LZ were terribly (!!!) loud, very distant (Plant was mostly looking to the ceiling and static), Bonham's drum solos were wayyyyy to long, and Jimmy was like a genious in a sealed glass cage. Terrible. The visitors were mostly paralyzed by the loudness. What a shame.
Having said that, I do have their LZ 1, 2, 3, ZoZo and FG (!) albums and off course enjoy them from time to time. They do have an own distinct sound, despite the fact that they should have respected original songwriters.
If "borrowing" other people's stuff, why (Jimmy Page) make a fuzz about bootlegs? Jimmy "robbed" a CD shop in Shinjuku, Tokyo from all LZ bootlegs, saying "they're ours" (!, this is for real) and Robert Plant still owes a, not well off, U.K. friend of mine £ 4 (late sixties, when Pounds were still money). Mixed feelings.

Date: February 21, 2019 10:10

Good stuff georgie!thumbs up

smiling smiley

Date: February 21, 2019 16:49

I was born a little too late to see Led Zeppelin live in their day.

I did get to see them (with a different Bonham) live in London in 2007. Great show!

Date: February 21, 2019 17:45

Big Al
OpenG

It was a B-side, wasn’t it? It certainly wasn’t a track on the original Coda LP or CD releases. It may appear on an expanded edition, however.

It was released on the 1993 CODA reissue, as well as two box sets.

Date: February 21, 2019 18:05

d by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 21, 2019 17:45

Big Al
OpenG

It was released on the 1993 CODA reissue, as well as two box sets.

That's what I have the reissue - sorry if I confused anyone

Date: February 21, 2019 18:11

JP's Tone on Ten Years Gone starting at 2.30 is to die for - you can,t make the guitar sound any better then that in the studio.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: February 21, 2019 18:49

GasLightStreet
Big Al
OpenG

It was released on the 1993 CODA reissue, as well as two box sets.[/quot

It was the flip side to The Imagrant Song

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 21, 2019 19:49

In the '70's I lived and breathed Led Zeppelin. Musically it was the most important thing in my life.

Of the 18 times I saw them between 1970 and 1977, the 2 best shows that stick out for me was June 25, 1972 and March 27, 1970, both at the L.A. Forum. (I've seen them 16 times at the Forum and twice at the San Diego Sports Arena).

I was hypnotized by Jimmy's guitar playing. That was my immediate attraction to the group.

Date: February 22, 2019 17:20

Hey, Hey, What Can I Do was recorded for LZ3. Weird that they didn't include it. As well as Poor Tom.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 22, 2019 17:41

I attended this outdoor and excellent concert in 1969 as they were promoting their debut LP.
I pretty much completely disagree with this reviewer, and have very
specific memories as I had an "All Access" pass as the concert Producer
was a friend of the family and got stuck with taking the family rock and roll
fan to the site early that afternoon during load-ins on stage, where I was
also tasked with helping road crews onstage in return for the favor.
I was 17, almost 18, and would graduate High School within a few weeks
from that May evening. Tho very familiar w the D.C. and surrounding
Virginia & Maryland somewhat from childhood, I was a NYC kid born
and bred, so it was easy and natural for me to attend Woodstock later that
Summer as well.
Imagine Zep warming up for the incredible version of The Who live in '69,
(I'd seen them previously, before Tommy, in '68 in Central Park Sheep
Meadow outdoor show, which was, totally brilliant and powerful,
So was Zep btw. The Who were almost upstaged, many thought so.

[www.ledzeppelin.com]
"Notes:
A rare double-bill featuring Led Zeppelin and the Who -
the only time this would occur. The encore featured another early appearance of Whole Lotta Love.
Some 8mm backstage footage of both bands together exists, as well as a clip of Zep's performance.

Press Review:
At the Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD, on Sunday night,
comedian Uncle Dirty, Led Zeppelin and The Who performed
to a packed hall, field and parking lot.

Led Zeppelin played a fairly orthodox show, mostly using material off their first album.
And although guitarist Jimmy Page once again proved himself a fine musician,
there wasn’t much more to be said about the act as a whole.
He and singer Robert Plant launched into innumerable transgressions of tonal question-answer games,
more conducive to boredom than musically induced languor.[R. Cowan]"

NOT ONE SOUL, other than this review above I've just read,
were anywhere remotely close to 'boredom,' ... that is ridiculous and
untrue.
It was an absolutely Triumphant, Historic night for both bands.
You can see that era The Who in Woodstock, to come a few weeks
after this show in Maryland in '69.
incredibly powerful. as were Zep. Hungry 'warm up' act promoting
that First LP. All that was out from them at the time,
and recored quickly late '68.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-22 17:43 by hopkins.

Date: February 22, 2019 20:51

Received an email from Led Zepplin.com to create your own playlist and cover art using the Zep font. Led Zeppelin
Seems a bit pointless and silly, but what the heck!

smiling smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 22, 2019 21:05

Hairball
Received an email from Led Zepplin.com to create your own playlist and cover art using the Zep font. Led Zeppelin

smiling smiley

grinning smiley

Also:

Led Zeppelin announce playlists curated by Jack White, and Royal Blood, all of which cite the band as critical influences on their music, and will continue with playlists from other artists throughout the year.

In addition, you can create your own personalised playlist using the Led Zeppelin playlist generator or design your own name in the band's famous font.

Led Zeppelin x Jack White features 10 tracks encompassing many stages of the band’s career from their debut album (“How Many More Times”) and early BBC Sessions (“Traveling Riverside Blues”), all the way through to “Two Ones Are Won” and “St. Tristan’s Sword,” which were unearthed rare tracks released for the first time during the band’s recent reissue series.

“They are an immovable force in music... I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t like them.”

Led Zeppelin x Jack White Spotify playlist

Led Zeppelin x Royal Blood spotlights seven songs selected by band members Mike Kerr and Ben Thatcher including some of the band’s biggest hits such as “Immigrant Song” and “Good Times Bad Times” along with some beloved album tracks such as “In The Light” from Physical Graffiti.

“Led Zeppelin’s magic has always been about the chemistry that existed between the four members - nearly 50 years on and the quality of the songs, the guts and the swag on these recordings, is untouched.”

Led Zeppelin x Royal Blood Spotify playlist

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: February 23, 2019 13:04

Hairball

smiling smiley

Yeah!
Seeing this one made me feel tempted to replace the zeppelin on their first album (or second ...) by the Stones 2002 blimp, but I am afraid that my creative skills don't even get close to those of Schillid grinning smiley
The setlist could then have blues songs that both bands "have in common" (probably not appreciated confused smiley)

Date: February 24, 2019 19:54

I love Over The Hills and Far Away - the live version is awesome - love JP's guitar parts throughout and how he uses different chord voicings.

Date: February 24, 2019 21:49

All the ingredients of a perfect Zep tune are right here- Soft, loud, acoustic, electric, great vocals, nice lyrics, perfect bass, primo drumming, brilliant guitar solos, amazing production...

Ramble On....

Date: February 24, 2019 22:02

ppelin - Plagiarism and other news new
Date: February 24, 2019 21:49

All the ingredients of a perfect Zep tune are right here- Soft, loud, acoustic, electric, great vocals, nice lyrics, perfect bass, primo drumming, brilliant guitar solos, amazing production...

Ramble On....

I agree about Ramble on perfect song but for me I like the guitar parts on Over The Hills and Far Away - They are both fun songs to play on guitar and have great guitar parts.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 24, 2019 22:22

Personally What Is And What Should Never Be is damn near a perfect Zeppelin song to me in the soft, loud department. But Led Zeppelin II is also my favorite Zep album (literally by a hair above the others) so any song off of that is a great "perfect" candidate to me. Ramble On is an outstanding tune, was very happy to see them bust it out at that reunion show. Great version too.

"I can't find my bluebird!"

Over The Hills And Far Away I used to know how to play on guitar and agree its a super fun song for that. But also Houses is a magnificent record. Song Remains The Same is one of the best opening tracks ever, then directly into Rain Song one of the most beautiful songs ever. Zeppelin is just so @#$%& awesome.

Date: February 24, 2019 23:32

Over the Hills is one of the first Zep tunes I learned to play on guitar when I was in my early teens...those opening licks were tricky to master on the large acoustic I had at the time.

But back to Ramble On for a minute as I just found this cool article breaking it all down....

Deconstructing Led Zeppelin’s Classic Song ‘Ramble On’ Track by Track: Guitars, Bass, Drums & Vocals
Ramble On

Jimmy Page's acoustic guitar:
Ramble On Acoustic Guitar Track Isolated

The beauty of isolated tracks is that they allow us to hear an old piece of music in a completely new way. They give us a fresh perspective on something we thought we already knew. Today we bring you a series of isolated tracks showing how Led Zeppelin pieced together one of its classic early songs: "Ramble On."

The song was written by Jimmy Page and Robert Plant and recorded in New York in the spring of 1969. Led Zeppelin was on its second tour of North America. Along the way, the band popped into various studios to lay down tracks for Led Zeppelin II. The remainder of the album was recorded in the same fashion, between shows in Europe. "We were touring a lot," bassist John Paul Jones wrote in the liner notes to the Led Zeppelin boxed set. "Jimmy's riffs were coming fast and furious. A lot of them came from onstage especially during the long improvised section of 'Dazed and Confused.' We'd remember the good stuff and dart into a studio along the way."

John Paul Jones's bass guitar:
Ramble On Bass Track Isolated
"Ramble On" is an early example of the Zeppelin hallmark of using a wide dynamic range within a single song. As the band goes back and forth between soft and loud, acoustic and electric, bassist John Paul Jones lays down a crisp outline of the song's structure.

John Bonham's drums:
Ramble On Drum Track Isolated
The pitter-patter drumbeat by John Bonham during the quiet parts of "Ramble On" has sparked considerable debate among drummers. Some have theorized that Bonham was hitting the sole of his shoe with drum sticks. Others say it was a plastic garbage can lid. According to Chris Welch and Geoff Nicholls in John Bonham: A Thunder of Drums, Bonzo used his bare hands to tap out those 16th notes on an empty guitar case.

Robert Plant's main vocals:
Ramble On Main Vocal Track Isolated
The lyrics of "Ramble On" reflect Robert Plant's fascination with characters and events in The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien: "'Twas in the darkest depths of Mordor/I met a girl so fair./But Gollum and the evil one crept up/And slipped away with her." Led Zeppelin would include more references to Tolkien later, in songs like "Misty Mountain Hop" and "Stairway to Heaven."

Jimmy Page's electric rhythm guitar:
Ramble On Lead Electric Guitar Track Isolated
Jimmy Page's explosive electric guitar playing kicks in at about the 1:14 mark. The exact guitar used by Page on the recording is a matter of controversy. He reportedly switched to his trademark Gibson Les Paul while recording Led Zeppelin II, but this track may have been played on the thinner-sounding Fender Telecaster he had been using since his days with the Yardbirds.

Jimmy Page's electric lead guitar:
Ramble On Lead Electric Guitar Track Isolated
Like all the band's albums, Led Zeppelin II was produced by Page. Although he eventually became known for building up complex layers of guitar tracks, Page kept the lead guitar overdubs for "Ramble On" fairly simple.

Robert Plant's backup vocals:
Ramble On Backup Vocal Track Isolated
Plant's supplementary vocals begin at about the 1:14 mark. Plant would later say that the recording of the second album was when he began to feel sure of himself within the band. "Led Zeppelin II was very virile," Plant told Nigel Williamson, author of The Rough Guide to Led Zeppelin. "That was the album that was going to dictate whether or not we had the staying power and the capacity to stimulate."

Led Zeppelin II was released in October of 1969 and rose to number one in Great Britain and America. In the four decades since, the album has sold over 12 million copies. Though it was never released as a single, "Ramble On" was ranked #444 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

*The two electric guitar tracks above that are linked in article are identical - must have been a mistake.
Unfortunately I was unable to find any isolated guitar solo videos on youtube.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home