Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243...LastNext
Current Page: 38 of 57
Re: Mick Jagger Surprising Dislike Of Led Zeppelin Revealed: ‘It Was Awful’
Date: January 14, 2019 02:19

If I recall correctly, Led Zeppelin actually showed some hate towards The Rolling Stones back in 1972. Zep said that The Stones were awful live and all they had was a bad horn section. It was described in the book "Hammer Of The Gods"

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 14, 2019 03:39

Sounds like they both disliked the same side.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 14, 2019 03:58

What gets labelled hate or dislike is probably just professional rivalry in many cases.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 14, 2019 04:07

Something Mick said 51 years ago. Stop the presses eye rolling smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 14, 2019 07:44

I remember the John Lennon interviews in the 70s and his last in 1980. He always seemed to have it in for the Stones, feeling he had to denigrate them. I always pegged it to jealousy. The Beatles were incredible, but they could never have the funk and blues cred the Stones had.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: January 14, 2019 08:29

I'd got the same feeling like Mick, Keith and George H. when I listened to LedZep I for the first time. Didn't listen to one song in its full length but skipped before any song ended. Never got into LedZep at all, not even today.

Don't understand the fuss made around LedZep. Overrated like many others, such as Deep Purple.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-14 14:28 by Meise.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: January 14, 2019 10:04

Where's the problem? It was one moment in time... I don't like Led Zeppelin too much either, especially when Robert Plant presses his voice.

Perhaps Mick Jagger changed his opinion, perhaps not. There are always some groups you dislike even if you are not a musician. I never was a huge fan of Genesis but if someone likes them (a close friend was actually a huge fan) it's fine with me. To each his own, or like the French sy 'Chacun à son bouteille'.

When the first records of Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow came out escpecially the Boys some years younger than me adored them because for that Generation Deep Purple was old-fashioned. I did not like them at all because I was a huge Deep Purple fan (the band of my youth), and I thought Rainbow were too 'ornamental' and not straight hard rock enough.Today I appreciate both bands; in fact, I'm presently more into Rainbow but that can change suddenly.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: January 14, 2019 10:47

....he liked better "Jethro Tull" who came to the "Rock'roll circus"...it was his choice..!! What's the fuss..!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 14, 2019 11:06

I don't like Led Zeppelin either. It's alright for one or 2 songs, The Rain Song on Houses of the Holy I like for some reason, but most of it is bombastic, over the top, blues-bulldozering.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 14, 2019 11:33

dadrob
Keith is not a fan either. I suspect they all liked Steve Marriot of the Small Faces a lot and Plant took a lot from him. to each his own

I think it was just Robert Plant's vocal style that Keith objected to .
He didn't get it.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 14, 2019 12:20

By chance I watched The Song Remains The same DVD yesterday for the first time in many years. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I think they were an incredible group.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: January 14, 2019 13:11

Always liked Led Zeppelin. Magnificent albums. I missed seeing them live unfortunately but I did get to see a Page/Plant gig and it was excellent. These guys (at least Page and JP Jones as session people) and The Stones bumped into one another. JP Jones with She’s A Rainbow and Page on One Hit To The Body. Also Page played slide on a version of Heart of Stone. Led Zeppelin used Stargroves and The Rolling Stones Mobile recording studio for Houses Of The Holy. And there is a Peter Grant management connection with Ronnie.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 14, 2019 13:50

peoplewitheyes
'he didn't get one side of it' - what a bizarre expression!

It's possible that what Johns means is that Jagger didn't understand or appreciate any aspect of Zeppelin's music. Also, in the UK, "sides" can refer to individual tracks, so it could also mean that Mick didn't like any of the first Zeppelin album's nine "sides."

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-14 13:58 by tatters.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 14, 2019 14:50

Deltics
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Yes we all know Mick has good taste in music.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 14, 2019 15:44

Led Zep and The Stones music are like chalk and cheese.
I like both bands but The Stones and many other bands are ahead of Led Zep for me.
None of the The Stones would fit in with Led Zep and vice versa, so no surprise members of The Stones may not like Led Zep music.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: January 14, 2019 16:54

Well Mick did sing "Jimmy Page is quite the rage, I could not see the reason why" on the 1975-1976 tours during @#$%&.

Date: January 14, 2019 16:57

Spud
dadrob
Keith is not a fan either. I suspect they all liked Steve Marriot of the Small Faces a lot and Plant took a lot from him. to each his own

He didn't get it.

+ Bonham's drumming.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 14, 2019 17:48

This thread reminded me of one of my favorite interviews with Jagger done back in 1991 with Kurt Loder of MTV. I remember taping it on our VCR. Jagger mentions Zeppelin only in passing, in response to Loder's question about musical trends across generations. Mick says something like "a lot of guys like Zeppelin", so you don't get a sense of his personal opinions.

Anyway, if you haven't see this one, it's an interesting interview covering a wide range of topics including Mick's acting career (it was shot on the set of "Freejack"), and whether the band could go on without one of it's members (this was before Wyman left).

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-14 17:51 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: January 14, 2019 18:22

Jagger has this strange way of deflecting anyone who tries to ask him anything . I was watching the Toronto Rocks SARS DVD - the bonus section for Photo session and Burton Cummings of Guess Who comes up to Jagger and says wow I rediscovered Black And Blue and love how you traded vocals with Billy Preston on Melody and Jagger would have nothing of it and just shrugged him off.

Date: January 14, 2019 18:36

DandelionPowderman
Spud
dadrob

He didn't get it.

+ Bonham's drumming.

"That's were the Led (lead) comes in. It never realy took off for me." To quote Keith.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 14, 2019 19:45

Rocky Dijon
Why would anyone presume someone feels the same about almost anything 50 years later? What a bizarre statement.

Not to mention, from a 1st time listen, in the midst of doing his own mixing.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 14, 2019 19:52

OpenG
Jagger has this strange way of deflecting anyone who tries to ask him anything . I was watching the Toronto Rocks SARS DVD - the bonus section for Photo session and Burton Cummings of Guess Who comes up to Jagger and says wow I rediscovered Black And Blue and love how you traded vocals with Billy Preston on Melody and Jagger would have nothing of it and just shrugged him off.

Burton Cummings = great voice

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: January 14, 2019 19:57

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 14, 2019 20:40

It’s better than hearing about retired rockers suing each other about mansion spaceeye rolling smiley

The Rolling Stones are a WORKING BAND!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-14 20:41 by 35love.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 14, 2019 20:49

Whatever Jagger may have thought about Led Zeppelin, they eventually became bigger (and more popular) than the Stones in the mid-'70's.
Obviously they didn't last as long, but they certainly had their day in the sun.

I like both bands, but in 1975 I was mostly listening to Physical Graffiti.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 14, 2019 22:08

Led Zeppelin records hold up better than Purple and other similar bands because those records are so well produced. It's a shame Jimmy Page didn't produce anyone else's records.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 15, 2019 01:03

It's stupid. Led Zeppelin at their peak was incredible. So were the Rolling Stones at their peak in the 70s. The first Led Zeppelin album WAS the summer of '69 for me. That smoky, electric blues was unlike anything before it. A power house of an album by an incredibly talented band. The Stones were just as good in a different, more commercially accessible way.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 15, 2019 02:20

I only bought the single "Immigrant Song" back then and love a hand full of other songs but never felt the need to buy a LP.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 15, 2019 02:49

I used to love Led Zeppelin. Now I just like them very much. When that first box set of theirs came out in 1990, there was about 6 months where they replaced the Stones as my favorite band. Of course, I had only become a Stones fan in 1989 at the age of 15, so there were many musical distractions, distractions that didn't hold up. The Stones have been #1 ever since. It didn't help that I have learned over the years what a thief Jimmy Page really was, musically speaking. All of the "Lord of the Rings" imagery kinda wore thin as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-15 04:41 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 15, 2019 04:32

After hitching down from
Queensland in 1970 scored work
out in the middle of New South
Wales working on a cotton farm ....

Had a cassette player and first
Led Zep album … played it over
and over … In the evening some
of those country boys would hang
around the door of the camp hut and listen...…….. .Dazed & Confused

Auscott - Warren NSW 1970

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243...LastNext
Current Page: 38 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1876
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home