Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 57
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin - Plagiarism and other news
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 1, 2018 00:10

swimtothemoon
schillid
Led Zeppelin Face Retrial in ‘Stairway to Heaven’ Suit ...

[www.rollingstone.com]

I did not follow the trial closely and, in so doing, did not realize the Jury
we’re not allowed to hear either song. This could make a big difference for a
average jury.

They had a guitar player in the courtroom playing the tunes on acoustic guitar from sheet music, showing the differences however minor they are.
I agree though that it might make a difference if they're able to hear the actual recordings.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 1, 2018 03:16

In the key of...........................

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: October 1, 2018 06:45

I don't hear it, other than a passing resemblance to one short segment of the Spirit song. The intro also bears a slight resemblance to short acoustic guitar passages in the intros of Johnny Rivers' "Summer Rain" and Bob Crewe Generation's "Music to Watch Girls By." It's also a little bit like "Greensleeves." It's a waste of time and money.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 1, 2018 09:10

There's yet another Zeppelin anthology, Zeppelin x Zeppelin, out as a download last week. The songs remain the same, but they're sequenced in a different, more random order.

The first 10 songs of that release are also out as An Introduction to Led Zeppelin. And the Rock n Roll/Friends single from Record Store Day was released on mp3..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-01 12:58 by ab.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 1, 2018 14:58

Its stolen, who cares. As Tom says, Randy California was around and aware of it for a ridiculous amount of time and chose to do nothing. Clearly he didn't think it was necessary.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 1, 2018 15:08

An overlapping four-note passage at the very beginning, and then the songs go off in different directions. I don't think that's enough to find copyright infringement.

Date: October 1, 2018 15:25

ab
An overlapping four-note passage at the very beginning, and then the songs go off in different directions. I don't think that's enough to find copyright infringement.

That «four note-passage» turned out to be a beloved intro/an iconic riff, though, connected to that song for eternity. The A in ABC for guitarist beginners...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 1, 2018 16:00

RollingFreak
Clearly he didn't think it was necessary.

Or he had the "small guy vs big corporation" fear? His children have no such fear apparently... thumbs up
Another possibility is California came from a hippie background where the last thing you'd want to get caught into was a court, because it meant talking to lawyers and judges (yuck!).
Anyway the hippie karmic justice works at full force because roughly 50 years later Page is still tangled up in suspicions of plagiarism, which I find hilarious.

Crime doesn't pay Jimmy! winking smiley

Posted by: marko ()
Date: October 2, 2018 11:36

Osaka 29.9.1971 Sounboard 2 cd set is now out,too bad its not a complete release of the show.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 2, 2018 11:55

dcba
RollingFreak
Clearly he didn't think it was necessary.

Or he had the "small guy vs big corporation" fear? His children have no such fear apparently... thumbs up
Another possibility is California came from a hippie background where the last thing you'd want to get caught into was a court, because it meant talking to lawyers and judges (yuck!).
Anyway the hippie karmic justice works at full force because roughly 50 years later Page is still tangled up in suspicions of plagiarism, which I find hilarious.

Crime doesn't pay Jimmy! winking smiley

thumbs up

haha yeah this is Great!!
first off, we'll get another 373 posts on this thread into the waaay future...
,,,,it's been good so far!! heh heh...

yeh perfect comment. cheapass kazillionaire; i'd love to see him go full-on
50's black and white movie drama; break down in tears on the stand, a shaking old man the crazy train keeps a rollin' all night long...
ah randy california....jimmy shudda checked with Alice-tear Crow-Lee on just that obvious name; randy err... california....

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-02 12:01 by hopkins.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 2, 2018 14:38

marko
Osaka 29.9.1971 Sounboard 2 cd set is now out,too bad its not a complete release of the show.

Apparently the taper (the legendary Mr. Peach) taped the complete show but was busted by Grant (no less) near the end of the show. So he had to hand his cassette (the 3rd one) but he managed to keep the 1st two.

Date: October 2, 2018 14:52

In the liner notes to the 1996 reissue of Spirit's debut album, Randy California wrote:

People always ask me why "Stairway to Heaven" sounds exactly like "Taurus", which was released two years earlier. I know Led Zeppelin also played "Fresh Garbage" in their live set. They opened up for us on their first American tour.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 2, 2018 14:56

Is the Osaka recording audience or soundboard? I know Mr. Peach had a great reputation but are any his tapes that actually sound like soundboard? Another thought is I remember a fairly strong rumor that a 1971 Japan show would get an official release. I'd like to have this. They were in great form.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: October 2, 2018 15:47

dcba
marko

Apparently the taper (the legendary Mr. Peach) taped the complete show but was busted by Grant (no less) near the end of the show. So he had to hand his cassette (the 3rd one) but he managed to keep the 1st two.

You mix something up here. I doubt that Mr. Peach recorded from the soundboard. The EVSD soundboard is lacking some tracks here and there and the end is also there (Rock And Roll).

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: October 2, 2018 17:43

You can hear what a bad player Jimmy Page was, when he failed to even play the right notes at the beginning when he copied Taurus...

Date: October 2, 2018 19:01

SomeGuy
You can hear what a bad player Jimmy Page was, when he failed to even play the right notes at the beginning when he copied Taurus...

Lol that's one way of looking at it - Jimmy couldn't play Taurus if his life depended on it!!!
At the same time, you've just given a good defense for Page as to why the tunes are not exactly the same. smiling smiley

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: October 2, 2018 20:11

Hairball
SomeGuy

At the same time, you've just given a good defense for Page as to why the tunes are not exactly the same. smiling smiley

Well, that was my point, alright winking smiley

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 15, 2018 21:55

Jimmy Page - She Just Satisfies

Jimmy's only single from 1965 - Jimmy on vocals

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 15, 2018 21:58

I wonder how empty these promises end up being. Everyone wants to hear from ya Jimmy, and year after year its hype to no avail. At least he's being as vague as possible this time:

Jimmy Page Guarantees Something New in 2019

[q1043.iheart.com]

Date: December 15, 2018 22:22

"Short of new music, Page could also revisit the Coverdale / Page album from 1993.
Coverdale told Eddie Trunk in March that he and Page had been approached about doing a box set for that album,
including unreleased songs and video footage from the sessions to be used in a documentary".

eye rolling smiley

I want this as much as I want to be kicked in the teeth.

Hoping against the odds for some new solo material from Jimmy Page...maybe by the end of next year?!!! thumbs up

Mick Jagger Surprising Dislike Of Led Zeppelin Revealed: ‘It Was Awful’
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 13, 2019 23:23

[]

By Brett Buchanan - Jan 12, 2019

Led Zeppelin I engineer Glyn Johns discussed The Rolling Stones singer Mick Jagger and The Beatles guitarist George Harrison reacting to the Mighty Zep in a new SiriusXM interview.

Johns told SiriusXM (transcribed by Ultimate-Guitar):

“I was working with The Stones around the same time this record [‘Led Zeppelin’] was made. We were putting together [1968’s] ‘The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus,’ which was a TV show which had a lot of different artists on it.

“Just after I’d finished this record [‘Led Zeppelin’], I was going to a production meeting for that [‘The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus’].

“We were all kicking around ideas of who should be on it and I took this record and played it at the production meeting to Mick [Jagger]. ‘Jimmy [Page] put this band together with John Paul Jones. It’s gonna be absolutely huge!’

“But Mick didn’t get one side of it. Probably still doesn’t.

“I also was working with The Beatles and on my way home from a Beatles session – George Harrison and I lived in the same direction and went past Olympic Studios [in London, UK], which is where I made the [Zeppelin] record.

“I said to him as we left Apple, ‘You should come, follow me to Olympic so I can play you something.’ I got the master out and I went into the studio – in which no-one was in – and I played a bit of the record to him.

“And he didn’t get one side of it either. He thought it was awful.”

Re: Mick Jagger Surprising Dislike Of Led Zeppelin Revealed: ‘It Was Awful’
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 13, 2019 23:27

Mick Jagger didn't say "it was awful", George Harrison did.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 13, 2019 23:42

Move along folks, nothing to see here.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 14, 2019 00:09

Brett Buchanan is a hack...
in my not so humble opinion.

Majority of what he ‘writes’ is culled from the web and repackaged as click bait

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 14, 2019 00:16

Surprising dislike? Nothing surprising about it. Townshend didn't like Zeppelin either. The surprise would be if they said they liked them. Rock stars tend to denigrate the bands who came along after them, while heaping praise on the ones that came before.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 14, 2019 00:31

Why would anyone presume someone feels the same about almost anything 50 years later? What a bizarre statement.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: January 14, 2019 00:36

Keith is not a fan either. I suspect they all liked Steve Marriot of the Small Faces a lot and Plant took a lot from him. to each his own

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: January 14, 2019 00:52

'he didn't get one side of it' - what a bizarre expression!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 14, 2019 01:47

One side of the record? I wonder which one?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 14, 2019 01:48

peoplewitheyes
'he didn't get one side of it' - what a bizarre expression!

yes...and does that mean they liked side 2 of the album? Or was side 1 the preferred side? And...did Mick and George dislike the same side?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1825
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home