Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 57
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin - Plagiarism and other news
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 14, 2018 05:33

The reincarnation of Bonzo?
[www.youtube.com]

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 14, 2018 16:46

Toru A
[www.youtube.com]

[www.rollingstone.com]
thumbs up

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: June 14, 2018 18:15

Toru A
[www.youtube.com]

[www.rollingstone.com]

Oh she absolutely rocks!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 19, 2018 10:34

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 19, 2018 14:54

I love Robert so much. He is so respectful of the legacy and gets such joy out of what his band has accomplished. He's such a great man and his joy is infectious.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 19, 2018 15:21

RollingFreak
I love Robert so much. He is so respectful of the legacy and gets such joy out of what his band has accomplished. He's such a great man and his joy is infectious.
He's incredibly down to earth given what an insane career he's had. It's honestly remarkable how normal he is.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 19, 2018 19:44

I saw this child drummer on NBC News and I was left speechless at the wonder of it all .

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: June 26, 2018 19:51

The Song Remains The Same is getting the deluxe treatment. All previously released material so hardly an earth shattering release for the 50th anniversary!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 26, 2018 20:09

I think there is 4 unreleased version (songs) that's all the bonus there is. So far what I can tell it's a very poor 50th. Matter of fact I think they should of just passed on any type of celebration if it's going to be like this. Although it's early to throw in the towel I guess.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 26, 2018 20:31

frankotero
I think there is 4 unreleased version (songs) that's all the bonus there is. So far what I can tell it's a very poor 50th. Matter of fact I think they should of just passed on any type of celebration if it's going to be like this. Although it's early to throw in the towel I guess.

Yes underwhelming, but don't forget the massive book of pictures (yawn) they're releasing and which they recently reunited for to get some publicity (pic and story on previous page posted by Cristiano).
Not sure what else they can possibly do for this anniversary as everything has already been milked to death.

Meanhwile, Robert Plant played Arroyo Seco festival to mixed reviews. To quote a friend of mine who was there both days:
"it was OK, but mostly reworked Zeppelin tunes that came across as hippie dippy shit - Going to California was the only real highlight".

The Lemon Song
Four Sticks
Turn It Up
What Is and What Should Never Be
Rainbow
The May Queen
Going to California
Gallows Pole
Carry Fire
Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You
Little Maggie
Fixin' to Die

Encore:
Bring It On Home / Whole Lotta Love / Santianna / Whole Lotta Love

Date: June 26, 2018 21:19

Damn, Plant is leaning heavy on the Zeppelin material. Are his sets always so reliant on Zep? I didn't think so.

Date: June 27, 2018 02:35

I've given up all hope on Zeppelin. That is such a god damn pointless release. I don't know when that became a thing as if thats something we needed? Packaging the DVD and CD together. The Band did that recently with The Last Waltz and its like you're not changing anything? What's the point? At least give us something new. Raw footage, new interviews, anything?! Utterly useless. Page remastered and repackaged The Song Remains The Same like 10 years ago and, I give him a rare bit of credit, did an excellent job on it. The initial release was a hatchet job so what he did 10 years ago sounded great and was long overdue. Couldn't fix the video cause he couldn't reedit (some legal or other reason) but thats fine, the movie is fine already. The album desperately needed an update and got it. He's not gonna make it sound any better, the same way he ain't gonna make How The West Was Won sound any better. Those were made within the last 15-20 years using state of the art equipment at the time. Sorry, not much has changed. Its not like remastering and remixing things from 50 years ago. And any "extras" (those 4 songs I saw mentioned) have been around for 20 years on the Zeppelin desert DVD and I think were on the last repackage of that movie, again 10 years ago or so. So thats utterly worthless. Phew, glad I got that all out!

As for Robert Plant, its been said a million times before, in this very thread no less, his live shows are his live shows. They haven't gotten any different in the last 20 years. He plays half Zep, half new material he's usually promoting. Its a healthy mix and it makes sense. Its what people want to hear him do and he feels more comfortable doing it with this band, kind of revamping the songs, than doing it under the guise of Zeppelin. I've never heard a bad review of his shows. Personally I don't think it would be my thing but from any review or person I've heard thats gone they've said its great. Not that you can't have another point of view, but I would question if they are actively trying to find faults. I've heard his show really kills. Then again, I've never thought it was my thing so maybe I'd feel the same. I'd rather hear him play Zeppelin with Zeppelin and I don't like his solo work but maybe I'd be surprised live, I have an open mind.

So yeah, nothing is happening for the 50th, there wasn't much they could do short of a tour which was never happening, but Jimmy can try with all his might. Here's an idea Jimmy, maybe tour on your own and celebrate the 50th year of Zeppelin that way?! His life though. In other news, here's something to get excited for:

[www.loudersound.com]

Ain't happenin.

Date: June 27, 2018 04:49

Maybe for their 60th anniversary, Page will do something REALLY novel, and remaster Led Zeppelin IV. LOL.

Date: June 27, 2018 04:53

In all honesty, it's not really funny. I give Page a ton of credit for the care with which he's curated Zeppelin's music. It's such a towering legacy that it deserves the attention, he's paid to it, but it's obvious he feels completely trapped and overwhelmed by it.

It's a shame...he's such a talented guy but he can't seem to get unstuck from it for whatever reason. He's pretty much the same age as Mick and Keith (give or take a few months) so he doesn't have much time left to do anything new, and at his age and with being out of the game for so long, it's doubtful anything is going to come of it despite his periodic musings about new music or live shows.

Date: June 27, 2018 05:37

keefriff99
In all honesty, it's not really funny. I give Page a ton of credit for the care with which he's curated Zeppelin's music. It's such a towering legacy that it deserves the attention, he's paid to it, but it's obvious he feels completely trapped and overwhelmed by it.

It's a shame...he's such a talented guy but he can't seem to get unstuck from it for whatever reason. He's pretty much the same age as Mick and Keith (give or take a few months) so he doesn't have much time left to do anything new, and at his age and with being out of the game for so long, it's doubtful anything is going to come of it despite his periodic musings about new music or live shows.

He really should get his ass in gear and start moving...he could do a theater tour like Dylan and Neil Young that would literally rock the rock world.
Even if it's just him alone with an acoustic, or maybe with a small band with varying guest vocalists along the way - maybe Paul Rogers here, Steve Winwood there, or other greats that would lend their hand.
And who knows, maybe a certain someone might drop in and surprise him (and everyone else) somewhere down the road. Whatever the case, the response from millions of fans would serve him well.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: June 27, 2018 08:01

RollingFreak

As for Robert Plant, its been said a million times before, in this very thread no less, his live shows are his live shows. They haven't gotten any different in the last 20 years. He plays half Zep...I've never heard a bad review of his shows...

I just saw Plant last week in Toronto. I went in expecting to be mildly entertained. Instead, the show was great with a fantastic band and a killer 'Goin' to California'. I wasn't familiar with his new stuff but I enjoyed the performance. Opening act, Sheryl Crow, came on to team up on 'Rock and Roll' for the encore. Pretty dang good!

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: June 27, 2018 14:40

I have always held out hope(probably never!) that they would clean up and release the five bootleg video's that are out there, both Earl's Court '75, Seattle '77 and both Knebworth '79, they all look to be screenshots but there have to be better generated copies than the ones that are circulating now!
I like Plant's current band, especially the Charles Manson look alike playing guitar...smiling smiley

Date: June 27, 2018 14:49

Mr.D
I have always held out hope(probably never!) that they would clean up and release the five bootleg video's that are out there, both Earl's Court '75, Seattle '77 and both Knebworth '79, they all look to be screenshots but there have to be better generated copies than the ones that are circulating now!

Yeah, I'm not sure why Page is so hardwired to disappoint. Those would be great releases yet they sit in the vaults. Maybe it would take too long to fix all the mistakes? Really upsetting. Those updated versions of the old albums was such a missed opportunities. There's so much live stuff thats never been out officially and instead we got alternate takes that 85% of the time sounded identical to the regular studio track. Why great video like the concerts you mentioned sit around even though we know he has them because they're on the Zep DVD is beyond me. Release that instead of fixing up the stuff that doesn't need fixing.

Zeppelin had some great releases for awhile. The box set in the 90s, How The West Was Won, the Zep DVD in 03 or whatever, the updated Song Remains The Same, and then since its been a massive step down for a band that has so much more to offer. Which makes Plant all the more admirable because he's the only one out there doing anything of note, good or bad.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention in the Song Remains The Same post, the evidence of how lazy Page is is that he couldn't even be bothered to put the concert in the correct order now. When they updated it The Ocean is at the end of disc one, even though it closed the show. Doesn't bother me, I get why it fits there. But if you wanted ANY sort of incentive, at least move it to the end as it was at the actual concert, or include the full version of Black Dog which is inexplicably cut. But nah, absolute bare minimum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-27 14:53 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 27, 2018 19:08

I'm sure you've all seen the article that Led Zeppelin is going to headline Glastonbury in 2019!.........

.........Ya right! (There's nothing like hyping a festival where tickets go on sale before the acts are announced)

Date: June 27, 2018 19:43

Damn shame that this is what has become of Mr.Jimmy Page .Living on fumes from his past and re releasing studio albums that have been done to death . As Rolling Freak mentioned about the missed opportunities to release killer live shows on multi formats including video and really make some money .I can imagine the nightmare that would cause Mr.Page with trying to erase mistakes and release cleaned up mistake free versions ,which I guess he has some type of hangup about and truly as a fan I want the live material with warts and all as the actual concert took place in the correct running order of the REAL setlist .Just too bad with such a missed opportunity for the 50th anniversary of the mighty Zeppelin taking flight like no other band did at the time .I can sort of in a begrudging way understand Robert Plant's position of not wanting to perform without Bonzo John Henry Bonham ,but it just boggles my mind that an artist and mega uber talented virtuoso Jimmy Page would not want to ever grace a stage again and just be happy to rehash to death countless versions of the same studio material that has been DONE .Jimmy Page with his Sunburst Gibson Les Paul was and still is such a mighty influence on me as a guitarist and there will never be another Jimmy Page ever again confused smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 27, 2018 19:54

Jimmy Page is too busy scrapping over Robbie Williams' basement.

Date: June 27, 2018 20:17

TheGreek
Damn shame that this is what has become of Mr.Jimmy Page .Living on fumes from his past and re releasing studio albums that have been done to death . As Rolling Freak mentioned about the missed opportunities to release killer live shows on multi formats including video and really make some money .I can imagine the nightmare that would cause Mr.Page with trying to erase mistakes and release cleaned up mistake free versions ,which I guess he has some type of hangup about and truly as a fan I want the live material with warts and all as the actual concert took place in the correct running order of the REAL setlist .Just too bad with such a missed opportunity for the 50th anniversary of the mighty Zeppelin taking flight like no other band did at the time .I can sort of in a begrudging way understand Robert Plant's position of not wanting to perform without Bonzo John Henry Bonham ,but it just boggles my mind that an artist and mega uber talented virtuoso Jimmy Page would not want to ever grace a stage again and just be happy to rehash to death countless versions of the same studio material that has been DONE .Jimmy Page with his Sunburst Gibson Les Paul was and still is such a mighty influence on me as a guitarist and there will never be another Jimmy Page ever again confused smiley

Along with a poster of Jimi Hendrix gazing off in the distance while sitting in a studio, I used to have a Jimmy Page poster on my wall when I was a young teen in '77/'78. Holding his double neck propped straight up, while the focused/intense expression on his face in the midst of playing told a thousand tales while I listened intently to all of my records.

Quick google search and found it:

And as a bonus, searched out the Hendrix poster:

They were both huge sources of inspiration for me as a young guitar player and music fanatic, and while we know Jimi Hendrix died in 1970, one can only wonder whatever happened to Jimmy Page the last couple of decades...he kind of withered away into oblivion...toiling away at reworking past achievements that are decades old now...repeatedly...over and over...confused smiley...

Date: June 28, 2018 13:42

Hairball
TheGreek

Along with a poster of Jimi Hendrix gazing off in the distance while sitting in a studio, I used to have a Jimmy Page poster on my wall when I was a young teen in '77/'78. Holding his double neck propped straight up, while the focused/intense expression on his face in the midst of playing told a thousand tales while I listened intently to all of my records.

Quick google search and found it:

And as a bonus, searched out the Hendrix poster:

They were both huge sources of inspiration for me as a young guitar player and music fanatic, and while we know Jimi Hendrix died in 1970, one can only wonder whatever happened to Jimmy Page the last couple of decades...he kind of withered away into oblivion...toiling away at reworking past achievements that are decades old now...repeatedly...over and over...confused smiley...
Thanks for the nice images of our 2 guitar greats .I almost forget about Jimi Hendrix (as if I really could -not ) When I was a kid we went to see the Hendrix concert movies along with countless midnight screenings of The Song Remains the Same and I would blast the soundtrack album (side 2) with No Quarter ,Stairway (believe it or not my Mom actually liked Stairway) Moby Dick and Whole Lotta Love (which is fun to play on the Guitar along with Heartbreaker) Just a darn shame .Keith God Bless him always is still out there making music and making fans HAPPY .

Date: June 28, 2018 19:44

Same here TheGreek - a friend and I saw The Song Remains the Same AND Alice Cooper's Welcome to My Nightmare movie as a double feature on the same night in '76. Being only 13 at the time, we took a bus up to the Pacific Palisades where it was showing at the Bay Theater. Wasn't really familiar with Alice other than a couple of tunes, but it was a great movie and it made an impression with all the crazy stage antics, etc. And then the Zeppelin movie...I was mesmerized...I recall the movie theater had the volume cranked very loud for both! And the Hendrix movies - A Film About Jimi Hendrix, Jimi Plays Berkeley, and Rainbow Bridge - saw them multiple times at late showings at the Nuart Theater in West L.A.

In other Zeppelin rumour related news:

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page in talks to reunite as Led Zeppelin for the band’s upcoming 50th anniversary

Led Zeppelin

Plant has refused to return to the stage with Page and the band’s bassist John Paul Jones for over a decade partly because it is thought that Plant does not enjoy being on stage without the late John Bonham.
However now the remaining three stars are allegedly considering a ­celebration of their work although Metro.co.uk understand that there won’t be a reunion gig.
Bonham is likely to be ­represented by his son Jason, who joined the band in 2007 for their last performance as a group.
One idea that has been floated would see the three remaining members of the band ‘attending a ­celebration of their work, which would include famous artists covering their hit tunes’.
They might then appear on stage individually with some of the star names,’ report The Sun.
The anniversary in October would also coincide with the release of their new 368-page photo book, Led ­Zeppelin by Led Zeppelin, which was confirmed in late 2017 for a late 2018 release.
On 10 December 2007, Zeppelin reunited for the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute Concert at the O2 Arena.
According to Guinness World Records 2009, the show set a record for the ‘Highest Demand for Tickets for One Music Concert’ as 20 million requests were submitted online.

Sounds like a bunch of speculation and wishful thinking, but would be something worthy and interesting if anything comes of it.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: June 28, 2018 20:41

I think we should leave Jimmy alone, he's given the world so much, maybe he's done and retired from recording and playing live. Maybe he only want's to play Zep tunes. Whatever his motivation is I am just happy to have all that he has given us and it's not such a bad thing to go out on top. The 2007 gig was fantastick, anything he or if Zep reunites will be compared to it and I think it would be hard to top.

Date: June 28, 2018 20:56

Maybe he is done and retired from recording and playing live, but based on quotes from him the last few years (or the last decade?)
he's been working on a solo album with plans to tour. Until he says differently, no reason to give up hope and "leave him alone".

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: June 28, 2018 21:18

Hairball
...a friend and I saw The Song Remains the Same AND Alice Cooper's Welcome to My Nightmare movie as a double feature on the same night in '76. Being only 13 at the time, we took a bus up to the Pacific Palisades where it was showing at the Bay Theater.

I grew up in the Palisades...the Bay Theater sure brings back memories! I was only 11 at the time, so I didn't attend the double feature, but I'm pretty sure my older brother went - he was a big Zep and Alice fan, having seen them both in '75.

Date: June 28, 2018 21:26

Hairball, one can only hope and pray .I guess which is all we can do .

Date: June 28, 2018 21:32

Hairball
Maybe he is done and retired from recording and playing live, but based on quotes from him the last few years (or the last decade?)
he's been working on a solo album with plans to tour. Until he says differently, no reason to give up hope and "leave him alone".

agreed but no one even knows if page recorded anything

Date: June 28, 2018 22:26

Jah Paul
Hairball
...a friend and I saw The Song Remains the Same AND Alice Cooper's Welcome to My Nightmare movie as a double feature on the same night in '76. Being only 13 at the time, we took a bus up to the Pacific Palisades where it was showing at the Bay Theater.

I grew up in the Palisades...the Bay Theater sure brings back memories! I was only 11 at the time, so I didn't attend the double feature, but I'm pretty sure my older brother went - he was a big Zep and Alice fan, having seen them both in '75.

That's right neighbor - being from the north side of Santa Monica, you were right across the canyon from me!
I'm sure you remember the House of Lee Chinese restaurant. We used to go there on special occasions, and last year cleaning out my moms garage found an old menu from the early '70's. Not sure if it's still there?
Also, my aunt used to work in the Palisades for the parks and recreation in the late '60's, and would take us to a hot dog restaurant ...I forget the name but the char grilled dogs were the best!
And my dentist was up there right near the House of Lee- Dr. Peterson! smiling smiley

And like you, my older brother saw Led Zeppelin in '75 (and '77) both at the L.A. Forum. He had a ticket for me for the latter but I was attending a school out in Arizona for the year, and missed out aarrgghh!
Missing that and missing out on Bob Marley at the Roxy '79 are the only two regrets I have as far as concerts go. For Marley, my older bro also had a ticket for me, but I opted not to go as I was "busy" partying with friends that night ha, and the rest is history...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-28 22:29 by Hairball.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1316
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home