Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 57
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin - Plagiarism and other news
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 7, 2018 21:16

RollingFreak
Of course its nothing earth shattering: its Zeppelin. 8 more minutes of Jimmy Page masturbating to, what are we calling them now, "past glories"? At least he's being up front about it I guess.

Cheer up RollingFreak - to some of us it will be cool to have.
Why so negative all of the time? Maybe try and look on the bright side once in awhile - it might make you feel better, and you won't bring down others around you.
Constant negativity, pessimism, and cynicism are not the best recipe to live your life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-07 21:17 by Hairball.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 7, 2018 21:18

RollingFreak
And I'm negative.
LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-07 21:19 by RollingFreak.

Date: March 7, 2018 21:21

RollingFreak
RollingFreak
And I'm negative.
LOL

How was the tribute show w/members of Living Colour and Bon Jovi?
Positive? Negative? Medicore/average? Any surprises?

Date: March 7, 2018 22:06

It was great. Why do you care? You made fun of it relentlessly. Maybe take your own advice.

Date: March 7, 2018 23:02

Glad to see you have something positive to say! Since you like tribute bands, you'd like Lez Zeppelin - an all female tribute band.
I've never seen them and don't plan to, but they've been endorsed by none other than Jimmy Page and Joe Perry, along with positive reviews from critics around the world:

Lez Zeppelin

Date: March 7, 2018 23:11

I don't like tribute bands. This was a tribute event to the band with other bands playing their songs that raised money for charity. I couldn't care less about nobodies playing Zeppelin (or any band's) songs as their "act", not even Jason Bonham's experience. I'm sure they're good, I know others enjoy it, that has never been my thing. And very different than watching established bands like The Zombies and Living Colour pay tribute to their peers out of their comfort zones in a tribute show than a cover band pretending to be Zeppelin. Similar to Musicares or Grammy or Kennedy Center Honor events. If given the option to see a tribute band trying to recreate any band's sound, I'd skip it and rather listen to that respective band's CDs (not the way Page does though because that is gross and requires a lot of lube and tissues).

Date: March 7, 2018 23:21

Lol you're constant use of masturbating analogies when talking about Jimmy Page is a bit curious, but I understand you're point.

Also better understand your stance on tribute bands now. Was the entire Living Colour band there? Or maybe just the guitar player?
Haven't heard anything about them since seeing them open for the Stones back in '89 - I honestly thought they were a distant memory.
I know the Zombies played in a small outdoor public park not far from where I live in the last year or so - would have liked to have seen them (or whatever's left of them) but for some reason didn't make it.

Date: March 7, 2018 23:27

Yes it was all of Living Colour.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 8, 2018 02:37

crholmstrom
Robert Plant playing Seattle in June with Lucinda Williams opening. Nice double bill, might have to go to that one.

Should be a great time at Marymoor!
I'm a huge Lu fan and may travel down to Troutdale Oregon to make it two!

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: March 8, 2018 05:53

Hairball
Nothing negative about that, just stating the fact that he plays five Zeppelin tunes while at the same time he says he's focused primarily on his solo career which seems a bit hypocritical.
Imagine Mick Jagger playing some solo concerts where he performed reworked versions of Gimme Shelter, Honky Tonk Woman, Satisfaction, Street Fighting Man, and Jumping Jack Flash (to randomly name five).
Would it really be considered a full on Jagger solo show based solely on his solo career? No, it would it be a show that's partially a tribute to his past glories with the Rolling Stones.

Wrong Hairball, sorry. Plant is a lot of things but never hypocritical.

Date: March 8, 2018 05:55

RollingFreak
Hairball
RollingFreak
BluzDude
So I guess a Clapton show really isn't a Clapton show because you might get 4 or 5 songs he did with Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominos or John Mayall?

Jah Paul
To be fair, he played three songs from his latest album and three more from the one prior...six songs released in the last three years is a decent nod to his solo career, IMHO.

Its fun going around in circles here ain't it? You both nailed it.

Yes RollinFreak, they both made valid points. Plant plays solo tunes indeed, but he also plays Zeppelin tunes.
He tries to downplay his work with Zeppelin as a thing of the past and says 'who wants to relive all that'? But here he is playing five Led Zeppelin tunes!
Surely you can see the contradiction? Or maybe you can't....

I'll respond once and elaborate on their point even though you obviously won't agree with it, yet keep trying to push your agenda (the way I and we are doing ours) as if at some point you'll hit on something none of us thought of:

He would OBVIOUSLY play Zeppelin during his solo sets. The same way Clapton does, the same way Jagger would. You get hung up on him downplaying Zeppelin as a thing of the past. That BAND is a thing of the past, the songs are not. He knows what they mean to people and thats why he plays them HIS way at his own shows, in radically different arrangements. The way he plays them with Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones under the guise of Led Zeppelin (or under any guise with any combination of those guys) brings pressures and expectations that are not there for his solo shows. That is why he doesn't do that. Because when he plays with them he has to, consciously or not, revert back to a man from the 1970s that he no longer is. That doesn't have to happen when he does solo shows and plays Zeppelin songs, again as he should.

I know it gets contentious and sarcastic from me, but I truly don't get why thats so difficult to understand. And I get how everything isn't a right or wrong sort of thing but I'm sorry this topic really is. History shows that on VERY few occasions these guys have ever gotten together to play and as they age it gets less likely. AND Robert has had to be clear about it because people (I won't say like you but just... people) then come to expect more when he gives an inch. So he has to be forceful and clear. Him being in Led Zeppelin or playing songs with those guys is a thing of the past. Him PLAYING Led Zeppelin songs is not. Is there a chance it could happen? Yes, of course, there's a chance of anything. But its so extremely unlikely, whether you want to believe it or not, that it (I think of course) is reasonable to get annoyed that it keeps getting brought up. If it does happen, great. But for now, there's no idea of that in sight, Jimmy has said as much, so to continually harp on it (the way I do with Jimmy's solo album, even though again history shows I'm more right than wrong on that topic, despite the fact that I wish I wasn't) is quite silly.

There. I don't know what else to say. Thats just the truth, its not meant to sound condescending or pompous or angry towards you. I'm sorry, but on this topic your argument is flawed and mine is based on a more realistic truth. Thats the nicest way I can say it. You've repeatedly refused to have an adult discussion about it (hence the sarcastic remarks that are now my trademark) and thats all the mature discussion I plan to have on this topic.

Congratulations! This is one of the most spot-on things I've ever read on Plant. Eloquent and well-informed!!!

Date: March 8, 2018 14:22

roller99
Congratulations! This is one of the most spot-on things I've ever read on Plant. Eloquent and well-informed!!!

EXCELLENT interview with the guy and seems like nothing but a wonderful man even though he has to play the bad guy. Thats not easy. Interview even uses your favorite word Hairball "past glories" which I can't in any way make up lol. If that coincidence doesn't prove we should be together I don't know what does:

[www.esquire.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 8, 2018 16:04

Robert has aged badly - at least he looks that way on the Dan Rather promo.

Date: March 8, 2018 19:33

RollingFreak
roller99

EXCELLENT interview with the guy and seems like nothing but a wonderful man even though he has to play the bad guy. Thats not easy. Interview even uses your favorite word Hairball "past glories" which I can't in any way make up lol. If that coincidence doesn't prove we should be together I don't know what does:

[www.esquire.com]

Cheers RollingFreak.

The interviewer is a slight douche - he should know by now that mentioning Led Zeppelin and reunion in the same sentence is forbidden territory.

“I have to ask, because my editors would kill me if I didn't: Do you ever see going back to do the big gig?”

Blaming it on the editors...interviewer has now evolved from a slight douche to a giant douche.

If I had the chance to talk to Robert, I would first thank him for providing a huge part of the soundtrack of my life throughout the '70's. I would then mention the noble road he's on pursuing his solo career, and that I do enjoy much of what he's released over the years, and that I've attended several of his shows. I would then ask - very politely of course- about the many Zeppelin songs he plays during his solo concerts, and if he feels that even that might be living in the past just a little bit. I'm sure I've read his explanations in the past - (paraphrase) "they're great songs that I've reworked and the fans expect at least some of them...and I enjoy playing them as they are a part of my history, so why not?". Fair enough Robert. I would then continue to wind down this road sidestepping the term 'Led Zeppelin' completely, and ask how it was working with Jimmy putting the 50th anniversary book together. Was it joyful? Painful? Bittersweet? All of the above? Asking him about any other releases for the 50th anniversary, I would then tred softly and remind him of his quote:

"But as for what I’ll be doing in five years time, I haven't got the answer. I haven't got a clue".

Seeing this is an opening of the door to future possibilities, I would ask if this means that there is a possibility of ever working with Jimmy Page and/or John Paul Jones again in any musical capacity (still not mentioning Led Zeppelin!)- whether co-writing a tune, recording a tune, performing a single show, etc., etc. etc. I have a feeling his answer would be:

"NEVER SAY NEVER".

He would then recite the lyrics to Ramble On as the interview ends and as he strolls out the door and out of sight.

"Leaves are falling all around, It's time I was on my way.
Thanks to you, I'm much obliged for such a pleasant stay.
But now it's time for me to go. The autumn moon lights my way.
For now I smell the rain, and with it pain, and it's headed my way.
Sometimes I grow so tired, but I know I've got one thing I got to do...

Ramble On, And now's the time, the time is now, to sing my song.
I'm goin' 'round the world, I got to find my girl, on my way.
I've been this way ten years to the day, Ramble On,
Gotta find the queen of all my dreams.

Got no time to for spreadin' roots, The time has come to be gone.
And to' our health we drank a thousand times, it's time to ramble On..."

Adios Robert, until we meet again. thumbs up

Next up, I would interview Jimmy Page. The one and only question I would ask is "For crying out loud Jimmy, where's the damn solo album"?!!!!
His reply: "I've been working on it in between re-releasing the Zeppelin catalogue multiple times over the years...it's coming along smoothly and will be fantastic, just you wait and see".

I shake my head in disbelief and sadly walk away....

Date: March 8, 2018 20:29

Just scored tix for Redmond,WA and Troutdale,OR...

June is going to be epic spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: March 8, 2018 21:05

Elmo Lewis

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 8, 2018 21:18

Elmo Lewis

As far as a 70-year-old man goes, he looks fine.

Still has most all of his hair, and a fair percentage still has color -- not many septuagenarians can say that.

He only looks to have "aged badly" if you hold in your mind a before and after image of 1968 vs. 2018.

No one at 70 looks like they did at 20.

Date: March 8, 2018 22:55

Hairball
RollingFreak
roller99

[www.esquire.com]

Cheers RollingFreak.

The interviewer is a slight douche - he should know by now that mentioning Led Zeppelin and reunion in the same sentence is forbidden territory.

“I have to ask, because my editors would kill me if I didn't: Do you ever see going back to do the big gig?”

Blaming it on the editors...interviewer has now evolved from a slight douche to a giant douche.

If I had the chance to talk to Robert, I would first thank him for providing a huge part of the soundtrack of my life throughout the '70's. I would then mention the noble road he's on pursuing his solo career, and that I do enjoy much of what he's released over the years, and that I've attended several of his shows. I would then ask - very politely of course- about the many Zeppelin songs he plays during his solo concerts, and if he feels that even that might be living in the past just a little bit. I'm sure I've read his explanations in the past - (paraphrase) "they're great songs that I've reworked and the fans expect at least some of them...and I enjoy playing them as they are a part of my history, so why not?". Fair enough Robert. I would then continue to wind down this road sidestepping the term 'Led Zeppelin' completely, and ask how it was working with Jimmy putting the 50th anniversary book together. Was it joyful? Painful? Bittersweet? All of the above? Asking him about any other releases for the 50th anniversary, I would then tred softly and remind him of his quote:

"But as for what I’ll be doing in five years time, I haven't got the answer. I haven't got a clue".

Seeing this is an opening of the door to future possibilities, I would ask if this means that there is a possibility of ever working with Jimmy Page and/or John Paul Jones again in any musical capacity (still not mentioning Led Zeppelin!)- whether co-writing a tune, recording a tune, performing a single show, etc., etc. etc. I have a feeling his answer would be:

"NEVER SAY NEVER".

He would then recite the lyrics to Ramble On as the interview ends and as he strolls out the door and out of sight.

Next up, I would interview Jimmy Page. The one and only question I would ask is "For crying out loud Jimmy, where's the damn solo album"?!!!!
His reply: "I've been working on it in between re-releasing the Zeppelin catalogue multiple times over the years...it's coming along smoothly and will be fantastic, just you wait and see".

That's what I'm gonna ask him, last...

Date: March 8, 2018 23:14

Thats about how I'd approach the interview as well. All good questions. Looking forward to you speaking with him and agree totally on that approach Hairball.

Date: March 9, 2018 01:25

Hairball
RollingFreak
roller99

[www.esquire.com]

Cheers RollingFreak.

"NEVER SAY NEVER".

Waitasec...Hairball, you're interviewing him?

Date: March 9, 2018 02:44

Nah, I meant you, as I thought you were implying you were. Hairball's was just if it were to ever happen.

Date: March 9, 2018 15:25

roller99
RollingFreak
Hairball
RollingFreak
BluzDude
So I guess a Clapton show really isn't a Clapton show because you might get 4 or 5 songs he did with Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominos or John Mayall?

Jah Paul
To be fair, he played three songs from his latest album and three more from the one prior...six songs released in the last three years is a decent nod to his solo career, IMHO.

Its fun going around in circles here ain't it? You both nailed it.

Yes RollinFreak, they both made valid points. Plant plays solo tunes indeed, but he also plays Zeppelin tunes.
He tries to downplay his work with Zeppelin as a thing of the past and says 'who wants to relive all that'? But here he is playing five Led Zeppelin tunes!
Surely you can see the contradiction? Or maybe you can't....

I'll respond once and elaborate on their point even though you obviously won't agree with it, yet keep trying to push your agenda (the way I and we are doing ours) as if at some point you'll hit on something none of us thought of:

He would OBVIOUSLY play Zeppelin during his solo sets. The same way Clapton does, the same way Jagger would. You get hung up on him downplaying Zeppelin as a thing of the past. That BAND is a thing of the past, the songs are not. He knows what they mean to people and thats why he plays them HIS way at his own shows, in radically different arrangements. The way he plays them with Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones under the guise of Led Zeppelin (or under any guise with any combination of those guys) brings pressures and expectations that are not there for his solo shows. That is why he doesn't do that. Because when he plays with them he has to, consciously or not, revert back to a man from the 1970s that he no longer is. That doesn't have to happen when he does solo shows and plays Zeppelin songs, again as he should.

I know it gets contentious and sarcastic from me, but I truly don't get why thats so difficult to understand. And I get how everything isn't a right or wrong sort of thing but I'm sorry this topic really is. History shows that on VERY few occasions these guys have ever gotten together to play and as they age it gets less likely. AND Robert has had to be clear about it because people (I won't say like you but just... people) then come to expect more when he gives an inch. So he has to be forceful and clear. Him being in Led Zeppelin or playing songs with those guys is a thing of the past. Him PLAYING Led Zeppelin songs is not. Is there a chance it could happen? Yes, of course, there's a chance of anything. But its so extremely unlikely, whether you want to believe it or not, that it (I think of course) is reasonable to get annoyed that it keeps getting brought up. If it does happen, great. But for now, there's no idea of that in sight, Jimmy has said as much, so to continually harp on it (the way I do with Jimmy's solo album, even though again history shows I'm more right than wrong on that topic, despite the fact that I wish I wasn't) is quite silly.

There. I don't know what else to say. Thats just the truth, its not meant to sound condescending or pompous or angry towards you. I'm sorry, but on this topic your argument is flawed and mine is based on a more realistic truth. Thats the nicest way I can say it. You've repeatedly refused to have an adult discussion about it (hence the sarcastic remarks that are now my trademark) and thats all the mature discussion I plan to have on this topic.

Yeah RollingFreak, really good wrap-up of your POV. I personally have great love and respect, both, for Plant's solo career.I see how it has very logically kept moving, evolving. Like Keith, he strikes me as one of those people who have an innate sense of assembling good bands; of recognizing good chemistry.
His stance towards LZ material is IMO perfectly understandable: first few years nothing - you're over the whole thing; plus it was the 80's and LZ was on the back burner of hipness. Then he starts sampling LZ clips and inserting them. Age and wisdom, and the distance that time allows finally sets in, and he is able to act on the sense of accomplishemtn he must feel from his LZ career.
I think for him to NOT perform some LZ material would be weird.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 9, 2018 17:41

wow, much ado about nothing it seems. Don't care if LZ has plagiarized, they are great.

Check out this forgery:

Led Zeppelin - Ramble On
great, even though it is an exact copy of:

Captain & Tennille - Muskrat Love

... including the lyrics.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: March 10, 2018 01:37

Just got tickets to see Robert and Sheryl Crow June 15 in Toronto at the outdoor Budweiser stage. No Stones in North America so I'm really looking forward to this one!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 21, 2018 16:52

Preview from the upcoming new edition of How the West Was Won

Led Zeppelin - "Immigrant Song (Live)" (Official Audio)

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: April 2, 2018 16:41

Just got another e-mail offering another SB track for the famous Japan 9/29/71. This is the third they offered

Looks like the boot label Empress Valley is trying to sell this show one track at a time.

Guess they are tired of their 1975 tour SB releases being available for free as downloads days after they release them on silver disc killing their market.

Once they sell them all they most likely will release the complete show on silver disc I think.

Here are the tracks being offered.

Stairway to Heaven - Special 1 Track (1 Song) Extremely Ltd Ed (100 Copies Only) Single Soundboard Revolution Release! This Single Track features for the very first and only time anywhere, the Legendary Authentic Perfect Stereo Soundboard from 9/29/71 Osaka! This show has previously only ever been available as a fake soundboard release. This 1 Track Ltd Ed Single is being made available with 5 different and Unique Japanese Woodblock Print Covers. Each of the 5 different Japanese Woodblock Print Covers is housed in a special white airmail envelope to disguise the specific version it contains. Empress Valley $65

==> This special 1 track (1 Song) title is also available for purchase as a full set with all five unique Japanese Woodblock Print Covers.

Immigrant Song - Special 1 Track (1 Song) Extremely Ltd Ed (100 Copies Only) Single Soundboard Revolution Release! This Single Track features for the very first and only time anywhere, the Legendary Authentic Perfect Stereo Soundboard from 9/29/71 Osaka! This show has previously only ever been available as a fake soundboard release. Inspired by the original "In Through the Out Door” LP release, this 1 Track Ltd Ed Single is being made available with 5 different and Unique Japanese Woodblock Print Covers. Each of the 5 different Japanese Woodblock Print Covers is housed in a special white airmail envelope to cloak the specific version contained within. Empress Valley Label $65 - Very Few!

Black Dog 1971 - Special 1 Track (1 Song) Extremely Ltd Ed (50 Copies Only) Not for Sale - Promo Only Single Soundboard Revolution Release!
This Single Track features for the very first and only time anywhere, the Legendary Perfect Stereo Soundboard from 9/28/71 Osaka! This 1 Track Ltd Ed Single is available with 5 different and Unique Japanese Woodblock Print Artwork Cover. Empress Valley $65 - Very Few!

==> Special Limited Offer; Purchase one copy each of all three 1 track (1 Song) titles above and you will receive a bonus disk featuring the song “Friends” from the Osaka 9/29/71 Show! Supplies are very limited!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-02 16:51 by oldschool.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: April 2, 2018 22:40

Here is a clip of the new released song

[starship.jpn.ph]

Date: June 9, 2018 08:58

This photo is priceless.

"John Paul Jones, Robert Plant and Jimmy Page photographed in May 2018 with their working draft of the book "Led Zeppelin By Led Zeppelin". Published in October by Reel Art Press to celebrate fifty years since the formation of the band. (Photo by Dave Brolan/Reel Art Press.) Work on the official book "Led Zeppelin by Led Zeppelin" is almost complete. The images have been carefully selected and annotated throughout by Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones.

Celebrating 50 years since the band's formation, it covers the group’s unparalleled musical career and features photographs of Led Zeppelin on and offstage from their very first moments together. This definitive 400-page volume includes previously unpublished photos, artwork from the Led Zeppelin archives and contributions from photographers around the world.
There will be regular updates and sneak previews showing the work in progress. Stay tuned."

[www.instagram.com]

Date: June 12, 2018 05:55

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 12, 2018 15:02

What a photo! They look great.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1396
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home