Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 57
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin - Plagiarism and other news
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 5, 2018 20:47

RollingFreak
Lol cause ALL he wants to do is work with them and they couldn't give a shit about performing with him again. Maybe if he stops living in the past Plant will throw him a bone (when they're 85 LOL!). Logical reasoning is pointless GasLight. You'll just get told you hate Jimmy Page because you're literally just speaking the truth.

Not sure how you can be so sure of yourself - logical reasoning? The truth? This isn't science, and people change their minds all the time.
If you want to thrive on the negative and be continuously cynical, that's your choice.

Date: March 5, 2018 20:56

BluzDude
I saw Robert Plant a few nights ago. As far as playing Zeppelin songs, which Included:

That's the way
Gallows Pole
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.
Misty Mountain Hop
Whole Lotta Love

None of these songs except for perhaps That's the Way were performed even close the way Led Zeppelin would perform them.

Yet without Led Zeppelin, none of these would have existed.
One or two Zeppelin songs would be understandable, but five songs in his "solo" setlist?
Seem he's living off the Zep legacy as much, if not more than his so-called solo career.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-05 20:56 by Hairball.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 6, 2018 00:15

And I'm negative.

Date: March 6, 2018 00:59

Nothing negative about that, just stating the fact that he plays five Zeppelin tunes while at the same time he says he's focused primarily on his solo career which seems a bit hypocritical.
Imagine Mick Jagger playing some solo concerts where he performed reworked versions of Gimme Shelter, Honky Tonk Woman, Satisfaction, Street Fighting Man, and Jumping Jack Flash (to randomly name five).
Would it really be considered a full on Jagger solo show based solely on his solo career? No, it would it be a show that's partially a tribute to his past glories with the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: March 6, 2018 01:03

Hairball
BluzDude
I saw Robert Plant a few nights ago. As far as playing Zeppelin songs, which Included:

That's the way
Gallows Pole
Misty Mountain Hop
Whole Lotta Love

None of these songs except for perhaps That's the Way were performed even close the way Led Zeppelin would perform them.

One or two Zeppelin songs would be understandable, but five songs in his "solo" setlist?
Seem he's living off the Zep legacy as much, if not more than his so-called solo career.

To be fair, he played three songs from his latest album and three more from the one prior...six songs released in the last three years is a decent nod to his solo career, IMHO.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 6, 2018 01:04

So I guess a Clapton show really isn't a Clapton show because you might get 4 or 5 songs he did with Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominos or John Mayall?

Date: March 6, 2018 01:14

BluzDude
So I guess a Clapton show really isn't a Clapton show because you might get 4 or 5 songs he did with Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominos or John Mayall?

Of course it's a Clapton show, and he pays tribute to his past glories - just like Robert Plant is doing.
The difference is, Clapton embraces it and doesn't spout off about focusing primarily on his solo career because the bands he was part of in the past are a thing of the past and who wants to relive all that?

Date: March 6, 2018 01:28

BluzDude

Jah Paul
To be fair, he played three songs from his latest album and three more from the one prior...six songs released in the last three years is a decent nod to his solo career, IMHO.

Its fun going around in circles here ain't it? You both nailed it.

Date: March 6, 2018 01:33

RollingFreak
BluzDude

Jah Paul

Yes RollinFreak, they both made valid points. Plant plays solo tunes indeed, but he also plays Zeppelin tunes.
He tries to downplay his work with Zeppelin as a thing of the past and says 'who wants to relive all that'? But here he is playing five Led Zeppelin tunes!
Surely you can see the contradiction? Or maybe you can't....

Date: March 6, 2018 01:43

Hairball
RollingFreak
BluzDude

Jah Paul

Yes RollinFreak, they both made valid points. Plant plays solo tunes indeed, but he also plays Zeppelin tunes.
He tries to downplay his work with Zeppelin as a thing of the past and says 'who wants to relive all that'? But here he is playing five Led Zeppelin tunes!

I'll respond once and elaborate on their point even though you obviously won't agree with it, yet keep trying to push your agenda (the way I and we are doing ours) as if at some point you'll hit on something none of us thought of:

He would OBVIOUSLY play Zeppelin during his solo sets. The same way Clapton does, the same way Jagger would. You get hung up on him downplaying Zeppelin as a thing of the past. That BAND is a thing of the past, the songs are not. He knows what they mean to people and thats why he plays them HIS way at his own shows, in radically different arrangements. The way he plays them with Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones under the guise of Led Zeppelin (or under any guise with any combination of those guys) brings pressures and expectations that are not there for his solo shows. That is why he doesn't do that. Because when he plays with them he has to, consciously or not, revert back to a man from the 1970s that he no longer is. That doesn't have to happen when he does solo shows and plays Zeppelin songs, again as he should.

I know it gets contentious and sarcastic from me, but I truly don't get why thats so difficult to understand. And I get how everything isn't a right or wrong sort of thing but I'm sorry this topic really is. History shows that on VERY few occasions these guys have ever gotten together to play and as they age it gets less likely. AND Robert has had to be clear about it because people (I won't say like you but just... people) then come to expect more when he gives an inch. So he has to be forceful and clear. Him being in Led Zeppelin or playing songs with those guys is a thing of the past. Him PLAYING Led Zeppelin songs is not. Is there a chance it could happen? Yes, of course, there's a chance of anything. But its so extremely unlikely, whether you want to believe it or not, that it (I think of course) is reasonable to get annoyed that it keeps getting brought up. If it does happen, great. But for now, there's no idea of that in sight, Jimmy has said as much, so to continually harp on it (the way I do with Jimmy's solo album, even though again history shows I'm more right than wrong on that topic, despite the fact that I wish I wasn't) is quite silly.

There. I don't know what else to say. Thats just the truth, its not meant to sound condescending or pompous or angry towards you. I'm sorry, but on this topic your argument is flawed and mine is based on a more realistic truth. Thats the nicest way I can say it. You've repeatedly refused to have an adult discussion about it (hence the sarcastic remarks that are now my trademark) and thats all the mature discussion I plan to have on this topic.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 6, 2018 01:44

Personally, I see nothing wrong with Plant doing Zeppelin songs, they are his songs (...ok, I guess that can be argued...) and he does them in the "Robert Plant" style. I'm ok with that, and I can bet you, by the crowd reaction, they would have been disappointed if he didn't do several Zeppelin tunes.

But I will say this, If he tried to do those songs the way LZ would have done them, that would have been a cop out IMO.

BTW, I was totally surprised by the audience at the show last Friday, much younger than I expected...and well dressed.

Date: March 6, 2018 02:04

RollingFreak
Hairball
RollingFreak
BluzDude

Jah Paul

I'll respond once and elaborate on their point even though you obviously won't agree with it, yet keep trying to push your agenda (the way I and we are doing ours) as if at some point you'll hit on something none of us thought of:

He would OBVIOUSLY play Zeppelin during his solo sets. The same way Clapton does, the same way Jagger would. You get hung up on him downplaying Zeppelin as a thing of the past. That BAND is a thing of the past, the songs are not. He knows what they mean to people and thats why he plays them HIS way at his own shows, in radically different arrangements. The way he plays them with Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones under the guise of Led Zeppelin (or under any guise with any combination of those guys) brings pressures and expectations that are not there for his solo shows. That is why he doesn't do that. Because when he plays with them he has to, consciously or not, revert back to a man from the 1970s that he no longer is. That doesn't have to happen when he does solo shows and plays Zeppelin songs, again as he should.

I know it gets contentious and sarcastic from me, but I truly don't get why thats so difficult to understand. And I get how everything isn't a right or wrong sort of thing but I'm sorry this topic really is. History shows that on VERY few occasions these guys have ever gotten together to play and as they age it gets less likely. AND Robert has had to be clear about it because people (I won't say like you but just... people) then come to expect more when he gives an inch. So he has to be forceful and clear. Him being in Led Zeppelin or playing songs with those guys is a thing of the past. Him PLAYING Led Zeppelin songs is not. Is there a chance it could happen? Yes, of course, there's a chance of anything. But its so extremely unlikely, whether you want to believe it or not, that it (I think of course) is reasonable to get annoyed that it keeps getting brought up. If it does happen, great. But for now, there's no idea of that in sight, Jimmy has said as much, so to continually harp on it (the way I do with Jimmy's solo album, even though again history shows I'm more right than wrong on that topic, despite the fact that I wish I wasn't) is quite silly.

There. I don't know what else to say. Thats just the truth, its not meant to sound condescending or pompous or angry towards you. I'm sorry, but on this topic your argument is flawed and mine is based on a more realistic truth. Thats the nicest way I can say it. You've repeatedly refused to have an adult discussion about it (hence the sarcastic remarks that are now my trademark) and thats all the mature discussion I plan to have on this topic.

I've never made an argument that it should happen nor do I harp on it the way you seem to constantly do in the negative. Unlike others, I've never demanded he reunite with Led Zeppelin because he is depriving the fans - all I've suggested is that one way or another it could possibly happen and to "never say never". Plant might work with Page some day, what's the big deal? But it seems just those words alone throw you into a tizzy of some sort as if it's some form of blasphemy I'v written, and while I prefer to keep an open mind at the possibilities, you tend to keep yours completely shut for whatever reasons and then reply with snarky sarcasm.

"History shows that on VERY few occasions these guys have ever gotten together to play and as they age it gets less likely".

While agree that at their age it becomes less and less likely, the fact is they've worked together WAY more than very few occasions. Several massive tours, the No Quarter/Unledded album and dvd, and they even recorded a studio album together - have I missed anything? How is that considered very few? To say it will absolutely never happen again is being more unrealistic (and closed minded) than suggesting it might.

BluzDude
Personally, I see nothing wrong with Plant doing Zeppelin songs, they are his songs (...ok, I guess that can be argued...) and he does them in the "Robert Plant" style. I'm ok with that, and I can bet you, by the crowd reaction, they would have been disappointed if he didn't do several Zeppelin tunes.

But I will say this, If he tried to do those songs the way LZ would have done them, that would have been a cop out IMO.

BTW, I was totally surprised by the audience at the show last Friday, much younger than I expected...and well dressed.

I don't think there's really anything really wrong with it either deep down, but when he constantly downplays the past, it's a bit odd to see him embrace it by playing five songs from it. As for them being "his songs" (yes that is arguable), other than the lyrics, he probably had the least input musically of all the members when writing those songs. If he's going to play that many Led Zeppelin songs - whether they're reworked or not - maybe he could change his name to Robert Zeppelin. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-06 02:25 by Hairball.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 6, 2018 03:23

Hairball
GasLightStreet
Hairball
As has been said many times, even though they will more than likely not reunite under the Led Zeppelin moniker, nothing has ever been said by either Plant or Page that they won't work together as Plant/Page or Page/Plant, or even Page/Plant/Jones! Even if it's a guest vocal by Robert on a Page solo tune or vice versa, or a one off performance at a benefit show, anything is possible. And although unlikely, it's even possible they would use the Led Zeppelin name if the circumstances were right for all involved.

Nothing has been said because they already did that. It won't happen again. Nor will any of the others. Plant has made it abundantly clear that he is sticking to his solo work.

The only thing he's made abundantly clear is that Led Zeppelin as a band will not reunite.
He's never said he will absolutely never work with Page and/or Jones ever again under a different name or in any capacity.

Some people can't read between the lines.

Date: March 6, 2018 03:24

RollingFreak
Lol cause ALL he wants to do is work with them and they couldn't give a shit about performing with him again. Maybe if he stops living in the past Plant will throw him a bone (when they're 85 LOL!). Logical reasoning is pointless GasLight. You'll just get told you hate Jimmy Page because you're literally just speaking the truth.

Oh pish posh!

Date: March 6, 2018 03:27

Hairball
BluzDude

That's the way
Gallows Pole
Misty Mountain Hop
Whole Lotta Love

You're forgetting, maybe with not fully understanding, that he's never backed away from acknowledging Led Zeppelin with his solo shows. Robert Plant is no idiot - he knows people want to hear Zep songs. But it's HIS show, not Zep.

One thing he's not doing is a majority of Zep songs, unlike someone else we know of that did a solo tour or two and did a majority of not solo songs.

Date: March 6, 2018 03:30

Hairball
RollingFreak
BluzDude

Jah Paul

He's LITERALLY SAYING it ABOUT Led Zeppelin, not about the songs.

Wow, dude, you really know how to get more than blood out of a turnip or whatever that stupid saying is. And who the hell came up with THAT? Turnips don't have blood! "Yer really squeezing bricks out of a giraffe's tail!"

Date: March 6, 2018 03:31

RollingFreak
Hairball
RollingFreak
BluzDude

Jah Paul

If I'd only read on a bit more before responding.

Date: March 6, 2018 03:35

GasLightStreet
Hairball
RollingFreak
BluzDude

Jah Paul

He's LITERALLY SAYING it ABOUT Led Zeppelin, not about the songs.

Wow, dude, you really know how to get more than blood out of a turnip or whatever that stupid saying is. And who the hell came up with THAT? Turnips don't have blood! "Yer really squeezing bricks out of a giraffe's tail!"

Keep reading through the thread Gaslight, there's plenty more posts for you to individually reply to. winking smiley

And remember to never say never!!

Date: March 6, 2018 03:38

Hairball
I've never made an argument that it should happen nor do I harp on it the way you seem to constantly do in the negative. Unlike others, I've never demanded he reunite with Led Zeppelin because he is depriving the fans - all I've suggested is that one way or another it could possibly happen and to "never say never".

What you refuse to acknowledge is what the rest of us understand -

IT WON'T HAPPEN.

Your suggestions are fake news or bunk or whatever else fits these days: flat out refusal to admit facts, understand facts and acknowledge facts.

There's ZERO possibility of it happening. Just because it hasn't doesn't mean it will. You say "never say never". You're not Robert Plant. After 2007 he may've not said "never say never" but he didn't say it as well. Because, as I recall, he was QUITE CLEAR about it.

Continue on as you will with that kind of fictitious thinking but you MAY BE the only one thinking that.

Date: March 6, 2018 03:48

GasLightStreet
Hairball
I've never made an argument that it should happen nor do I harp on it the way you seem to constantly do in the negative. Unlike others, I've never demanded he reunite with Led Zeppelin because he is depriving the fans - all I've suggested is that one way or another it could possibly happen and to "never say never".

IT WON'T HAPPEN.

Your suggestions are fake news or bunk or whatever else fits these days: flat out refusal to admit facts, understand facts and acknowledge facts.

There's ZERO possibility of it happening. Just because it hasn't doesn't mean it will. You say "never say never". You're not Robert Plant. After 2007 he may've not said "never say never" but he didn't say it as well. Because, as I recall, he was QUITE CLEAR about it.

Continue on as you will with that kind of fictitious thinking but you MAY BE the only one thinking that.

The rest of us? And that would be just you and RollingFreak?

As for being alone in thinking it could happen, no - there are many others who rabidly demand it, and even demand that it be called Led Zeppelin.
As for me, all I am suggesting, and the only thing I have ever suggested, is there's a possibilty they might work together again some day - not as Led Zeppelin.
Whether it's a collaboration in writing a tune as Page/Plant, maybe even a whole album, and/or even playing a show or tour as Page/Plant.
Might seem an impossibility to you, but to me there's always the possibility - never say never - it could happen! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-06 03:49 by Hairball.

Date: March 6, 2018 04:11

On a related note, many people said that Roger Waters and David Gilmour would NEVER work together again after Roger left the band, In fact they hated each other, and let it be known in almost ever interview they gave. But...Pink Floyd reunited for Live-8! In addition to that, Gilmour and Waters performed together in a small setting under their own names. If that wasn't enough to silence the naysayers, Gilmour appeared at Roger Water's Wall concert in London - standing proudly atop The Wall to play his iconic solo on Comfortable Numb! And some said it was an impossibility for them to ever work together again!!!

So here we have Page and Plant who still seem to be on friendly terms and always have been. If Roger Waters and David Gilmour are able to put their differences aside and work together again on several occasions, surely Plant and Page could someday do the same? Plant and Page...even though it might be unthinkable to some, may some day work together again just as Gilmour and Waters have done - it's really not that farfetched.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 6, 2018 04:17

Led Zeppelin broke up because their drummer died.

But what if he hadn't, and they were still around, still making (treadmill) albums? And Robert was still trying to be yesterday's Plant?

People would be wondering why they couldn't create another Stairway, or even another Communication Breakdown.

Because it's 2018 and not 1968.

Besides, "Never Say Never" was a James Bond reunion.

Date: March 6, 2018 08:48

I'd @#$%& every Bond chick. Even the ugos.

Date: March 6, 2018 19:10

Hairball
GasLightStreet
Hairball

IT WON'T HAPPEN.

The rest of us? And that would be just you and RollingFreak?

As for being alone in thinking it could happen, no - there are many others who rabidly demand it, and even demand that it be called Led Zeppelin.
As for me, all I am suggesting, and the only thing I have ever suggested, is there's a possibilty they might work together again some day - not as Led Zeppelin.
Whether it's a collaboration in writing a tune as Page/Plant, maybe even a whole album, and/or even playing a show or tour as Page/Plant.
Might seem an impossibility to you, but to me there's always the possibility - never say never - it could happen! thumbs up

As it pertains to this part of this thread. Undoubtedly there are more...who can't accept that there is no possibility of them working together again since... they already did. No matter what scenario you or anyone else can configure - it won't happen.

Date: March 6, 2018 19:13

Hairball
On a related note, many people said that Roger Waters and David Gilmour would NEVER work together again after Roger left the band, In fact they hated each other, and let it be known in almost ever interview they gave. But...Pink Floyd reunited for Live-8! In addition to that, Gilmour and Waters performed together in a small setting under their own names. If that wasn't enough to silence the naysayers, Gilmour appeared at Roger Water's Wall concert in London - standing proudly atop The Wall to play his iconic solo on Comfortable Numb! And some said it was an impossibility for them to ever work together again!!!

So here we have Page and Plant who still seem to be on friendly terms and always have been. If Roger Waters and David Gilmour are able to put their differences aside and work together again on several occasions, surely Plant and Page could someday do the same? Plant and Page...even though it might be unthinkable to some, may some day work together again just as Gilmour and Waters have done - it's really not that farfetched.

Nope - THEY ALREADY DID.

It's DONE! Enjoy the new live release.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 6, 2018 21:19

GasLightStreet
Hairball

Nope - THEY ALREADY DID.

What is the new live release ?

Date: March 7, 2018 01:43

TheGreek
GasLightStreet
Hairball

Nope - THEY ALREADY DID.

What is the new live release ?

It hasn't been performed or recorded yet...stay tuned! hot smiley

Just kidding - I think he's referring to the remastered release of How the West Was Won.
But there's also some other things Page has been mentioning that will see the light of day for the 50th anniversary festivities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-07 01:44 by Hairball.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 7, 2018 09:53

Robert Plant playing Seattle in June with Lucinda Williams opening. Nice double bill, might have to go to that one.

Date: March 7, 2018 20:49

Nothing earth shattering here, but will be cool to have:

Led Zeppelin to release two unheard tracks for Record Store Day 2018

Never say never...

This coming Record Store Day, April 21, Led Zeppelin will release a limited edition 7” single featuring 2 previously unheard mixes produced by Jimmy Page: the “Sunset Sound Mix” of “Rock And Roll” and the “Olympic Studios Mix” of “Friends.”

The previously unreleased version of “Rock And Roll” provides an additional peek into the fabled “Sunset Sound Mixes” of Led Zeppelin IV. Only two previous “Sunset Sound Mixes” have been released, the first being the version of “When The Levee Breaks” on the original album and the second the “Stairway To Heaven” mix that debuted on the 2014 deluxe edition. The previously unheard “Olympic Studios Mix” of “Friends” is a stripped-down version, without the orchestration of the final mix, offering a true fly-on-the-wall feel from the band’s recording sessions.

The single will be available as part of Record Store Day, exclusively from independent music retailers, on April 21 2018.

Date: March 7, 2018 20:59

Of course its nothing earth shattering: its Zeppelin. 8 more minutes of Jimmy Page masturbating to, what are we calling them now, "past glories"? At least he's being up front about it I guess.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1795
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home