Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 57
Re: OT: Robert Plant
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 11, 2018 19:59

RollingFreak
Seriously, how actually beneficial has it been for the Stones to continue being the Rolling Stones?
Well, we all know the answer to that question, and it's almost entirely monetary.

As a relatively young fan, it's allowed me to see them live 7 times, so I can't complain.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 11, 2018 20:06

keefriff99
Well, we all know the answer to that question, and it's almost entirely monetary.

Well they kept it fairly "clean" and they certainly didn't turn into the "British Kiss". Yeah they work for money but I don't think the Stones steal our money.

Re: OT: Led Zeppelin - Plagiarism and other news
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 11, 2018 20:19

RollingFreak
Personally I think its more of a dick move to essentially say "I'll never go out again unless its with Zeppelin" but hey its his prerogative.

I know you said you have nothing left to say on this topic (even though you've continued to post after saying that), but you're totally misquoting Jimmy Page and his intentions.
It might be what you think about him and his aim in life, but nowhere and no how did he ever say anything "essentially" close to that.

DEmerson
I still think though that even a small Zep tour would (or 'could) be very exciting, and bring a lot of joy to a lot of (lucky) people. And heck - Plant might even enjoy it. Assuming they could pull it off. Seems like we'll never know. What Is and What Will Never Be...

As dim as it may seem, never say never. thumbs up

In the meantime, looking forward to whatever the 50th anniversary celebration brings us...whether it's massive deluxe box sets, or more releases of live shows and studio outtakes, etc., etc., etc.
The legacy lives on, even though the band might not.

Date: January 11, 2018 20:23

dcba
keefriff99

Well they kept it fairly "clean" and they certainly didn't turn into the "British Kiss". Yeah they work for money but I don't think the Stones steal our money.
No, definitely not. And they've given plenty of value for money.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 11, 2018 20:25

Feel this definitely applies to Robert as I'm watching the new David Bowie documentary:

"I think its terribly dangerous for an artist to fulfill other people's expectations. If you feel safe in the area that you're working in, you're not working in the right area. Always go a little further into the water than you feel you're capable of being in. Go a little bit out of your depth, and when you don't feel that your feet are quite touching the bottom, you're just about in the right place to do something exciting."

-David Bowie

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 11, 2018 20:28

Personally I think this socalled 'moving on' is really only an image (integrity!) that Plant has adopted. For me, artistically he has stopped moving on circa 2002, or 2005 if you will, really. I don't hear much difference between the albums of the last 15 years or so, despite the constant changing of his band's name.
He has every right to make the music that he wants to make of course. He's stated that LZ was only 10 years of his life and he's had a career of 30 more years after that. True, but then, why rely so heavily on LZ material? Besides, he has contributed to the confusion on a possible LZ tour himself by saying that he wasn't the one that was stopping them from doing it, that he had 'a full year off with nothing to do', so.. (nudge nudge).
Over the decades the one thing that has struck me about Plant is the fact that he always contradicts himself, maybe for fun, who knows. Fact is that I've really enjoyed his shows and records during the 80s and 90s, but I wouldn't go anymore, now.
Ok, contrary to my resolve of last year, I DID purchase his latest record as soon as it came out...

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: January 11, 2018 20:56

I agree with that as well - especially being a HUGE Bowie fan.

Not saying he should become a Golden (God) Oldies act - but one quick 1 or 2 month tour? How bad could it be? That's all...

And say what one will about Jimmy, and has lack of activity (which is quite valid), he DID start Zep, and put Plant in the position he's in. (Granted Plant's talent would have likely gotten him there one way or another). Who knows...?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 11, 2018 22:46

Really hoping there's some concerts and I'm lucky enough to be there. Personally I believe they still got the chops, though it wouldn't be on the level of say 1973.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 11, 2018 22:57

frankotero
Really hoping there's some concerts and I'm lucky enough to be there. Personally I believe they still got the chops, though it wouldn't be on the level of say 1973.

'73, really? I've seen them in 70 (2 different tours), 71, 72, 73, 75 and 77 (18 times in all) and IMHO '73 was the worst, mainly because Robert's voice crossed over and he was still figuring out how to deal with it. To this day I can't figure out why they made TSRTS using '73 footage.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 11, 2018 23:02

Jimmy's playing was stellar in '73, you gotta admit.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 11, 2018 23:23

SomeGuy
Jimmy's playing was stellar in '73, you gotta admit.

yes, as it was in '70, 71 & 72.
Someone on Facebook recently posted "What's your favorite sound?"
I replied, "Jimmy Page Shredding on the guitar".

When I want a quick fix....if 20 minutes is quick, I listen (and watch) the January 1970 performance of How Many More Times from the RAH

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 11, 2018 23:49

TSRTS, basically I'm basing my opinion of '73 on that film and album that I grew up on. But yeah you're right there is much better. For instance RAH 1970. When I first heard that I totally lost it. I love the boot Listen To This Eddie as well. Very powerful. Plus there's so many more to list.

Date: January 12, 2018 01:01

I remember seeing The Song Remains the Same in the theaters when it was released, and needless to say I was mesmerized. It was a double feature, and Alice Coopers Welcome to My Nightmare was up first.
Back then I didn't have any bootlegs of Zep (my older bro might have), so what I saw was what I got. Also listened religiously to the soundtrack album - the live version of No Quarter and the smokin' solo still blows me away.
Since then there's been so much more to listen to as far as live shows (boots and official releases), but that one will always have a place in my heart. I remember first hearing Live at Earls Court '75 and was ecstatic to hear the tunes from Physical Graffiti. My favorite Zeppelin album etched in my brain, and now I was able to hear some of it played live!

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: January 12, 2018 01:36

Hairball
I remember seeing The Song Remains the Same in the theaters when it was released, and needless to say I was mesmerized. It was a double feature, and Alice Coopers Welcome to My Nightmare was up first.
Back then I didn't have any bootlegs of Zep (my older bro might have), so what I saw was what I got. Also listened religiously to the soundtrack album - the live version of No Quarter and the smokin' solo still blows me away.
Since then there's been so much more to listen to as far as live shows (boots and official releases), but that one will always have a place in my heart. I remember first hearing Live at Earls Court '75 and was ecstatic to hear the tunes from Physical Graffiti. My favorite Zeppelin album etched in my brain, and now I was able to hear some of it played live!

Right there with you, had the same experience...and I also wore The Song Remains The Same album out.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 12, 2018 03:02

Pretty intense early-on. A LOT of good film of these guys variously thru the years.
Don't know whatever else might come out, or whatever else JP might have in his LZ library of tapes,
but I was watching Celebration Day recently, and love it So much!
Courageous and outstanding show...'07.

....and then now and again I dip into more 'classic' early days too.
Led Zeppelin Live Performance - January 9th, 1970 (Jimmy Page's Birthday)
[www.youtube.com]

A LOT of good film and Excellent, Excellent,
and Powerful stuff from them variously filmed, and early-on too, thankfully.
Dig Bonham's hand drum solo (a little more than an hour into it) --
and most EVERYTHING else, in this Fine well-recorded show.
(Absolutley Great version of "Whole Lotta Love" after the Drum solo too imo,
about 1:19 into it). Bass SLAMS.

This linked Concert from FORTY-EIGHT years ago yesterday!
Whoa. Happy Birthday Jimmy Page!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 03:17 by hopkins.

Date: January 12, 2018 03:56

What Makes John Bonham Such a Good Drummer?
[www.youtube.com]

Very excellent short docu.
(They use Stones "Satisfaction" drum-beat as a comparison along the way here too).
At about 1:55.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: January 13, 2018 19:17

BluzDude
frankotero

'73, really? I've seen them in 70 (2 different tours), 71, 72, 73, 75 and 77 (18 times in all) and IMHO '73 was the worst, mainly because Robert's voice crossed over and he was still figuring out how to deal with it. To this day I can't figure out why they made TSRTS using '73 footage.

That's why they re-shot many of the scenes in a studio and cut it in hoping nobody would notice.

Date: January 13, 2018 19:21

hopkins
What Makes John Bonham Such a Good Drummer?
[www.youtube.com]

Very excellent short docu.
(They use Stones "Satisfaction" drum-beat as a comparison along the way here too).
At about 1:55.

This would be a really good documentary IF it had been shot back in the early 80's, but today, it's just a re-hash of all the "how to play John Bonham triplets" that are all over youtube. Also, the very notion that Page and Bonham were conciously overlaying separate time signatures over each other is ludicrous. Bonham couldn't read a note of music, and could barely read English. This was not conciously done, it was just a groove that really meshed.

I think Page is great, but he's also very sloppy and I didn't see anything in that film about Bonzo and Jones locked in together. In short, LZ were four very talented players that worked well together.

I'm in talks with Plant and Page's people for interviews and if I get them, I will be sure to ask this question.

Date: January 13, 2018 19:53

Good comment Roller. I'm not privvy to much tech info; and your characterization of Bonham is revealing for me too,
as I don't know much about his personal life, but am interested. Sounds Pre-Historic from your descriptions.
He DID have a most excellent Caveman beard.
This old docu, at least for me, helped me more into 'understanding' wtf he was doin' when they related it to Buddy Rich
and those insane guys from the pre-Rock era, just whipping the shit out of their kits.
For example Buddy could play a roll with ONE stick, doing All kindsa other stuff with his other hand and two feet....
Bonzo gets the Moonie Award, or Ginger Baker Award, or something, in these regards. Mitch Mitchell Award would maybe be appropriate as well.
Guys who blew out of 'rock' or 'jazz' or 'jazz-rock' 'progressive rock' definitions and just sorta exploded with pieces of all kinds of influences bleeding into their styles.
All these guys had originality and incredible powers going for them. Bonzo was a one-off, I keep thinking the more I re-visit his very consistent and amazing live work.

lol, I didn' know he could hardly read English, never mind Music. lol, unlike JPJ, who seems Professorial, in a good way, to me.
You make him sound like a bleedin' Caveman. eye popping smiley I guess probs the Bio stories would bear this out.
I've been re-visiting a lot of their filmed concerts lately; and it's re-awakened me to their impact and stoked interest in their history.
Hope you get to talk with them!! You have excellent informed perspective they'll relate and respond to. Cheers.

Date: January 13, 2018 20:13

hopkins
Good comment Roller. I'm not privvy to much tech info; and your characterization of Bonham is revealing for me too,
as I don't know much about his personal life, but am interested. Sounds Pre-Historic from your descriptions.
He DID have a most excellent Caveman beard.
This old docu, at least for me, helped me more into 'understanding' wtf he was doin' when they related it to Buddy Rich
and those insane guys from the pre-Rock era, just whipping the shit out of their kits.
For example Buddy could play a roll with ONE stick, doing All kindsa other stuff with his other hand and two feet....
Bonzo gets the Moonie Award, or Ginger Baker Award, or something, in these regards. Mitch Mitchell Award would maybe be appropriate as well.
Guys who blew out of 'rock' or 'jazz' or 'jazz-rock' 'progressive rock' definitions and just sorta exploded with pieces of all kinds of influences bleeding into their styles.
All these guys had originality and incredible powers going for them. Bonzo was a one-off, I keep thinking the more I re-visit his very consistent and amazing live work.

lol, I didn' know he could hardly read English, never mind Music. lol, unlike JPJ, who seems Professorial, in a good way, to me.
You make him sound like a bleedin' Caveman. eye popping smiley I guess probs the Bio stories would bear this out.
I've been re-visiting a lot of their filmed concerts lately; and it's re-awakened me to their impact and stoked interest in their history.
Hope you get to talk with them!! You have excellent informed perspective they'll relate and respond to. Cheers.

Thank you Hopkins, very nice words. I'm not slagging Bonzo or anything, but he and Plant were from the sticks. Keith Richards had once charcterized Plant and Bonham as "a couple of Ernies from the Midlands", something I found hilarious.

Page and Jones were very accomplished musicians prior to Led Zeppelin and both had the ability to read, write, and transcribe music. Page was one of the biggest session players ever at the time, and would show up, have sheet music handed to him, and play.

There was a documentary made in the last few years called "Beware Of Mr. Baker" where Eric Clapton basically goes off on Bonzo when they compare him to Ginger, saying "Ginger is a fully formed musician, he could read music. Bonham wasn't even in the same class".

None of this, nor the plagarism takes away from the power of Led Zeppelin in my opinion.

You should pick up the current copy of Goldmine Magazine, it's the "Led Zeppelin" issue (and it has an article I wrote on The Firm bassplayer Tony Franklin in it).

Cheers!

Date: January 24, 2018 18:01

All you never say never people:

[q1043.iheart.com]

I don't disagree with a single word he says in that article.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-24 18:02 by RollingFreak.

Date: January 24, 2018 18:09

RollingFreak

[q1043.iheart.com]

Makes sense to me as well, as much as it hurts me to say that..

Date: January 24, 2018 19:32

RollingFreak

[q1043.iheart.com]

While he adamantly states he doesn't want to resurrect "Led Zeppelin" - the way I read into that is that he doesn't want to reform the band, record an album under the Led Zeppelin brand name, and then go out on tour.
Nothing there says he won't work with Page and/or John Paul Jones again under a different name, or even another one-off live show as Led Zeppelin if the circumstances were right such as a charity benefit or whatever.
As slim of a chance as that might sound, never say never. Circumstances change, and people change their minds all the time - tomorrow never knows.

Meanwhile, it's a bit hypocritical to hear him say "Stop living in the past" when his setlists consist of a large amount of Led Zeppelin songs.

Date: January 24, 2018 19:43

LED ZEPPELIN's Live Album 'How The West Was Won' To Be Reissued With New Remastering Supervised By JIMMY PAGE

[www.blabbermouth.net]

So NOW Page is remastering a live album that was only released 15 years ago. Talk about being stuck in the mud.

Date: January 24, 2018 19:51

keefriff99
LED ZEPPELIN's Live Album 'How The West Was Won' To Be Reissued With New Remastering Supervised By JIMMY PAGE

[www.blabbermouth.net]

So NOW Page is remastering a live album that was only released 15 years ago. Talk about being stuck in the mud.

Wow, thats beyond retarded. I adore that album, but it sounds fine. I don't think there's literally anything you can do to it to make it sound "better", and thats really a credit to them 15 years ago. But if thats not an example of literally finding anything related to Zeppelin to work on besides solo work or a new collaboration then I don't know what is. The Song Remains The Same at least actually warranted it because it was a hatchet job when released and became a worthwhile release by going back to it. This is just a horrendous time waster. Thankfully it doesn't look like he's adding any bonus tracks to it to try and entice people, which almost makes the release even stupider but at least its more transparent.

Date: January 24, 2018 19:59

keefriff99

[www.blabbermouth.net]

Ooohh nice - looks like there will be lots of new extras, and also be available on vinyl and blu-ray. thumbs up

"Details of additional LED ZEPPELIN 50th-anniversary releases and events will be announced later this year".

Looking forward to more!

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 24, 2018 20:01

In 1997 I was spending one of several weekends off work in Tokyo roaming the small streets of Shinjuku, known for the presence of many bootleg stores. While my goal was to find possibly interesting material of the Rolling Stones, I came to speak with a shop owner and his assistant, who told me a "shocking" story.
On one day that same year several white men entered their shop and one of them happened to be Jimmy Page, the others his entourage (security people?). He was very interested in the Led Zeppelin corner (obviously?). The staff was excited to have such a famous person in their store and weren't even disappointed that he/they didn't buy anything.
Within an hour however they came back and one of the guys had a couple of big plastic bags. Subsequently they filled them with all (yes, all) the Led Zeppelin bootlegs and when they left without paying, the owner went after them to point out that they would have to pay. Jimmy Page himself then said "you are illegally selling material that is rightfully ours, so why should we pay for it?" and they all left. leaving the owner and his staff shocked. While the owner told me the story, I could see it still upset him.
Jimmy Page ... rightfully ???

Date: January 24, 2018 20:04

RollingFreak
keefriff99

[www.blabbermouth.net]

Wow, thats beyond retarded. I adore that album, but it sounds fine. I don't think there's literally anything you can do to it to make it sound "better", and thats really a credit to them 15 years ago. But if thats not an example of literally finding anything related to Zeppelin to work on besides solo work or a new collaboration then I don't know what is. The Song Remains The Same at least actually warranted it because it was a hatchet job when released and became a worthwhile release by going back to it. This is just a horrendous time waster. Thankfully it doesn't look like he's adding any bonus tracks to it to try and entice people, which almost makes the release even stupider but at least its more transparent.
Yeah, I mean, as I've said many times, Zeppelin's catalog deserves to be curated with care, but this seems excessive even for Page.

I remember reading interviews with Page when How the West Was Won first came out where he discussed all the time he took fixing up the audio, even going so far as to splice a missing guitar chord into a song (I forget which one)...I can't imagine he really needs to spend that much more time making this release sound better.

Date: January 24, 2018 20:07

Hairball
keefriff99

[www.blabbermouth.net]

Ooohh nice - looks like there will be lots of new extras, and also be available on vinyl and blu-ray. thumbs up

"Details of additional LED ZEPPELIN 50th-anniversary releases and events will be announced later this year".

Looking forward to more!
Oh, it's cool stuff, no doubt. I guess I should just appreciate it but it just feels Page is doing everything possible to avoid performing or writing.

At his age, it's safe to say it's over.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 24, 2018 20:16

RollingFreak
keefriff99

[www.blabbermouth.net]

Also the remastered soundtrack and video of The Song Remains The Same also included live songs cut from the movie and album , so that way the listener / viewer gets a more complete representation of the actual live concert that the release was culled from which I most certainly appreciate .Also some alternate takes from different nights at the Garden are also included .What I wish for from Mr. Page is more complete live shows to be released in multiple formats including complete video of live concerts sort of like the from the Vaults series that the Rolling Stones bless us with .

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1984
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home