Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 57
OT: Robert Plant
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 6, 2018 19:30

Ah, Robert Plant... I sometimes think he`s become too tasteful for his own good. Just like Keith Richards, he`s become slow. World music meets 50s music... The amimator of the video "Bluebirds Over The Mountain" sure must have had his field day. I`ve stopped buying his albums. Is traditional blues rock (1969-71) emptied for possibilies? Will it always sound like a rip off?

Re: OT: Robert Plant
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 6, 2018 20:26

I'd rather he do his own crap than Zeppelin at this point. They're too old to do Zeppelin, and he hasn't been THAT Robert Plant enough to easily slip back into it the same way I personally think Jagger or McCartney have. I admire the approach he's taken even if its not my kind of music.

Date: January 6, 2018 20:55

He is great. Very passionate. Due to the fact he is experimenting a lot it may not be everybodies cup of tea but i was very impressed when i saw him live with the space shifters. He did play a lot of zep songs but in his own way.

One of the greats

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 6, 2018 21:15

The fact that he still plays alot of Zeppelin songs (albeit in his own way) shows that he knows where his strengths were.
I don't mind some of Plant solo material on occasion, but it pales when compared to most of the work he did under the leadership and guidance of Jimmy Page.
When he - along with John Paul Jones - did have more control with In Through the Outdoor , it resulted in their weakest album.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 10, 2018 04:14

Robert Plant Sings Led Zeppelin Classics On New Live Concert DVD
[news.radio.com]

The singer has revealed a new upcoming DVD,
Robert Plant & The Sensational Space Shifters
"Live At David Lynch’s Festival of Disruption,"
which is set for release on February 9, 2018
The show, which was filmed as part of:
David Lynch’s inaugural
" Festival of Disruption at the Ace Hotel Theatre," in October 2016,
found Plant leaning on some of those Zeppelin favorites."

Among the eight tracks included on the release are four Led Zeppelin tracks: “Black Dog,” “Babe, I’m Gonna Leave You,” “Black Dog” and “Going to California.”
See the full tracklist below.
1. Poor Howard
2. Turn It Up
3. Black Dog
4. Medley: The Enchanter / Rainbow
5. Babe, I’m Gonna Leave You
6. Little Maggie
7. Medley: Hoochie Coochie Man / Whole Lotta Love / Mona
8. Going To California

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 10, 2018 05:02

He's transitioned to a solo career far better than most others trying to leave their previous 'career'.

I saw him a couple of years ago...excellent.

Date: January 10, 2018 06:11

hopkins
Robert Plant Sings Led Zeppelin Classics On New Live Concert DVD
[news.radio.com]

The singer has revealed a new upcoming DVD,
Robert Plant & The Sensational Space Shifters
"Live At David Lynch’s Festival of Disruption,"
which is set for release on February 9, 2018
The show, which was filmed as part of:
David Lynch’s inaugural
" Festival of Disruption at the Ace Hotel Theatre," in October 2016,
found Plant leaning on some of those Zeppelin favorites."

Among the eight tracks included on the release are four Led Zeppelin tracks: “Black Dog,” “Babe, I’m Gonna Leave You,” “Black Dog” and “Going to California.”
See the full tracklist below.
1. Poor Howard
2. Turn It Up
3. Black Dog
4. Medley: The Enchanter / Rainbow
5. Babe, I’m Gonna Leave You
6. Little Maggie
7. Medley: Hoochie Coochie Man / Whole Lotta Love / Mona
8. Going To California

Nice - but considering Whole Lotta Love is part of the Medley (track 7), I'd consider it another Zep tune in the set. Add in the covers, and how much solo material is original?
Would have been nice to hear a few of his earlier solo tunes, although not sure if that fits in with the 'Space Shifter' concept of his band.

Date: January 10, 2018 06:46

he no longer wants to keep retreading the past. why does that upset you?

Date: January 10, 2018 10:07

RollingFreak
I'd rather he do his own crap than Zeppelin at this point. They're too old to do Zeppelin, and he hasn't been THAT Robert Plant enough to easily slip back into it the same way I personally think Jagger or McCartney have. I admire the approach he's taken even if its not my kind of music.

Well said - my sentiments exactly!

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: January 10, 2018 12:03

DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak

When I saw him live in 2015 though I was surprised that he played so many Zeppelin songs, at least half the set.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 10, 2018 12:19

keefriffhard4life

-Cause it bores me.

Date: January 10, 2018 18:48

keefriffhard4life

I'm not sure who you're addressing the question to, but since it came afetr my last post I assume it was directed to me?
If so, what gives you the impression I'm upset? I was pointing out the number of unoriginal tunes in his set (some of which are indeed retreading the past),
and also stated it it would would have been nice to hear a few of his earlier solo tunes from his first few solo albums.

I'm not sure what you and a few others are are claiming here...that he has broken completely from his past and it is admirable?

Yes he records mediocre solo albums (some better than others), but when he performs live a large portion of his set is old Zeppelin tunes along with some blues covers.
According to Svartmer's post above, when he saw Plant live in '15 at least half the set was Zeppelin tunes, so how is this not retreading the past? Because he reworks them?

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: January 10, 2018 18:57

noughties
Ah, Robert Plant... I sometimes think he`s become too tasteful for his own good. Just like Keith Richards, he`s become slow. World music meets 50s music... The amimator of the video "Bluebirds Over The Mountain" sure must have had his field day. I`ve stopped buying his albums. Is traditional blues rock (1969-71) emptied for possibilies? Will it always sound like a rip off?

I couldn't disagree more with this post. Plant is an example to all artists in how to move on with your career.

The man has massive amounts of integrity.....

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 10, 2018 18:59

He was great on ACL...seek it out

Date: January 10, 2018 19:01

Svartmer
DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak

When I saw him live in 2015 though I was surprised that he played so many Zeppelin songs, at least half the set.

It seems like a happy medium. He still likes those songs and knows what they did for him (and hey he's not an idiot, he knows why most people are going to see him). He just feels more comfortable performing them at his own shows in slightly altered arrangements as opposed to playing them with Zeppelin and being locked into being "golden god Robert Plant from the 70s." I hated him for not doing a reunion then finally saw Celebration Day and noticed "oh, ok, he's doing this super well but this is very clearly a gift he's giving fans and going back and fronting this is obviously hardest for him." And I thought he was the MVP of that show, I can't tell you how much I thought he killed it, but that was my take. I don't mind him touring solo with mostly Zeppelin songs just cause I get it and thats how he feels comfortable performing those songs. I think its admirable he doesn't pretend those songs never existed, but also very much is clear about saying "I'm not in Led Zeppelin anymore" and doesn't cling to that legacy, when he very easily could. I can see how maybe people think he does by playing those songs live but I don't know, I just don't see it that way. He actively promotes his new releases and I admire he doesn't just take the money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-10 19:04 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 10, 2018 19:42

If you enjoy seeing someone live, does it mean you have to like the studio recordings?

As someone who has seen the Zep live 18 times (from 1970 to 1977) and Plant and/or Page numerous amount of times, I still enjoy seeing Robert live, even though his most recent release (along with quite a few of his others) I find quite boring.

...that being said, I have tickets to see him in March.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 10, 2018 19:47

RollingFreak
Svartmer
DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak

It seems like a happy medium. He still likes those songs and knows what they did for him (and hey he's not an idiot, he knows why most people are going to see him). He just feels more comfortable performing them at his own shows in slightly altered arrangements as opposed to playing them with Zeppelin and being locked into being "golden god Robert Plant from the 70s." I hated him for not doing a reunion then finally saw Celebration Day and noticed "oh, ok, he's doing this super well but this is very clearly a gift he's giving fans and going back and fronting this is obviously hardest for him." And I thought he was the MVP of that show, I can't tell you how much I thought he killed it, but that was my take. I don't mind him touring solo with mostly Zeppelin songs just cause I get it and thats how he feels comfortable performing those songs. I think its admirable he doesn't pretend those songs never existed, but also very much is clear about saying "I'm not in Led Zeppelin anymore" and doesn't cling to that legacy, when he very easily could. I can see how maybe people think he does by playing those songs live but I don't know, I just don't see it that way. He actively promotes his new releases and I admire he doesn't just take the money.
Man, you totally nailed my feelings about Plant.

As you said, he's not an idiot. He knows he'll always be Mr. Led Zeppelin, and he gives the fans what they want in his own way. He's threading the needle between fulfilling his artistic desires and trying to throw the audience a bone.

There's a big difference between performing with Zeppelin, and all the pressure and posturing that goes with that, and simply performing the songs on a slightly toned-down scale with his own band.

Date: January 10, 2018 19:54

keefriff99
There's a big difference between performing with Zeppelin, and all the pressure and posturing that goes with that, and simply performing the songs on a slightly toned-down scale with his own band.
Exactly! I've said it before, I saw Celebration Day in the theaters with my girlfriend. We walked out and I'm practically in tears like a little baby lol. I'm like "thats exactly what I've always wanted to see from them, a happy ending. A triumphant pin to a legacy that ended abruptly." My girlfriend's first comment? "Why was the singer grabbing his butt so much?" I basically caused a scene in the street, politely lol. I was like "he's Robert Plant! First of all, I noticed no butt grabbing, but secondly thats who he WAS in that band. He was the golden god. Yes, I was more focused on the music, but his whole look, that was part of it!" She's like "its kinda sad he felt he needed to do that at such an old age." And that right there was when it finally clicked for me why he resisted a reunion. I was like "wow, I get it." He really ISN'T that person anymore, and that O2 show was for people like me and other fans that wanted to see it one more time, without it being embarrassing. Plant giving it his all the way he doesn't do or even truly relate to anymore. And while I thought he was the MVP of the show already, that sealed my love of him. Because no matter what there WOULD be judgement if he went back out fronting Led Zeppelin. He doesn't get that kind of scrutiny doing it with his solo shows. I realized after years of screaming that he was wrong, that he was right. He's aging gracefully, he's doing it his own way, and god damn I respect him for it. But now I've hogged the thread. Just wanted to say you're right on the money.

Date: January 11, 2018 02:21

Hairball
keefriffhard4life

I'm not sure who you're addressing the question to, but since it came afetr my last post I assume it was directed to me?
If so, what gives you the impression I'm upset? I was pointing out the number of unoriginal tunes in his set (some of which are indeed retreading the past),
and also stated it it would would have been nice to hear a few of his earlier solo tunes from his first few solo albums.

I'm not sure what you and a few others are are claiming here...that he has broken completely from his past and it is admirable?

Yes he records mediocre solo albums (some better than others), but when he performs live a large portion of his set is old Zeppelin tunes along with some blues covers.
According to Svartmer's post above, when he saw Plant live in '15 at least half the set was Zeppelin tunes, so how is this not retreading the past? Because he reworks them?

no it was for the thread starter. he's unhappy because plant isn't making the music he wants

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 11, 2018 02:52

Yeah, a happy medium live, besides, for fans of music and not of "icons" that means you can see him in reasonably sized venues without having to fork out a crapton of money and fight it out on your computer.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 11, 2018 02:57

gotdablouse
Yeah, a happy medium live, besides, for fans of music and not of "icons" that means you can see him in reasonably sized venues without having to fork out a crapton of money and fight it out on your computer.

hmmm, here in L.A. he is playing at a venue that seats less than 2,000. That's good. I paid $87 (plus fees) for my ticker, bought as soon as they went on sale...I'm in the last row....the last I checked stub-hub, I could get over $400 if I wanted to sell my ticket.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: January 11, 2018 14:13

They have face value tickets on ticketmaster for the Boston show $650.00 wow.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: January 11, 2018 14:25

I still take a bit of an issue with him refusing to do one last Zep tour. It’s not ‘all’ about you and what you want to do. Think how many people you’d make happy, for them to be able to say they saw ‘Led Zeppelin.’ Instead, he’s off playing with his band that I call ‘a bunch of hippies who aren’t Jimmy f’in Page.’ That’s just me...

Date: January 11, 2018 17:16

DEmerson
I still take a bit of an issue with him refusing to do one last Zep tour. It’s not ‘all’ about you and what you want to do. Think how many people you’d make happy, for them to be able to say they saw ‘Led Zeppelin.’ Instead, he’s off playing with his band that I call ‘a bunch of hippies who aren’t Jimmy f’in Page.’ That’s just me...

Thats fine, and we'll probably just totally disagree on this, but if he's not gonna be into it then I don't want him to do it. Celebration Day is a perfect finale. Do I want to see Zeppelin? Of course. But at this point thats not really possible. I'd be aware I'm seeing something I wish was the real thing, even though it has most of the people involved. If he's also not into it, I don't want to see him forced or just going through the motions to do it for money. Personally, I don't give a @#$%& about people being able to just say they "saw Led Zeppelin". I actually like that they haven't lowered themselves to that the same way (myself included) go around saying I saw "the Eagles", I saw "the Who." People do it to check stuff off their list for the most part, as if if you say it it makes it real. I also think I give him credit because Jimmy Page sits on his lazy ass and does nothing, so I could say Plant is playing with Page wannabes but at least I could see him. Everyone craps on Robert yet Page disappears entirely which I consider more annoying and an "f you" to fans.

Date: January 11, 2018 18:18

RollingFreak
DEmerson

Thats fine, and we'll probably just totally disagree on this, but if he's not gonna be into it then I don't want him to do it. Celebration Day is a perfect finale. Do I want to see Zeppelin? Of course. But at this point thats not really possible. I'd be aware I'm seeing something I wish was the real thing, even though it has most of the people involved. If he's also not into it, I don't want to see him forced or just going through the motions to do it for money. Personally, I don't give a @#$%& about people being able to just say they "saw Led Zeppelin". I actually like that they haven't lowered themselves to that the same way (myself included) go around saying I saw "the Eagles", I saw "the Who." People do it to check stuff off their list for the most part, as if if you say it it makes it real. I also think I give him credit because Jimmy Page sits on his lazy ass and does nothing, so I could say Plant is playing with Page wannabes but at least I could see him. Everyone craps on Robert yet Page disappears entirely which I consider more annoying and an "f you" to fans.

Or one could say that Page works on maintaining Zeppelin's legacy (constantly mixing and remastering their catalogue/digging up stuff) while Plant is out doing his thing.

But I don't disagree with you. I admire his pride and determination in doing what he believes in. Not sure if his decision benefits his fans, though.

Date: January 11, 2018 18:37

DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak
DEmerson

Or one could say that Page works on maintaining Zeppelin's legacy (constantly mixing and remastering their catalogue/digging up stuff) while Plant is out doing his thing.

But I don't disagree with you. I admire his pride and determination in doing what he believes in. Not sure if his decision benefits his fans, though.

And there are people on this very forum that would say that same thing. Personally I think its more of a dick move to essentially say "I'll never go out again unless its with Zeppelin" but hey its his prerogative. In the end, like Plant, there's not much or anything they'll do to top that so its almost not worth trying.

In the end, and last thing I'll say about it, is that Robert's move I feel is smart because really everything after Zep is essentially meaningless. There's very few artists that break away from that big thing and do consistently great stuff or have a great solo career. Its just always trying to escape that. Likewise, a band that stays together just to stay together rarely approaches their former greatness. Seriously, how actually beneficial has it been for the Stones to continue being the Rolling Stones? I'm glad they have but its a choice with mixed results. I can't argue with the Zep method or Beatles method where, in the end, you'll never reach that level again and you're just out hocking new material. McCartney, who's shows I adore, is basically whoring himself out as "the Beatles guy". Its the show you go to to get Beatles music. While I'm happy he does that for my benefit and the benefit of fans around the world, I can never fault Robert for not becoming that guy and sticking to his morals and what he'd rather do. Personally I wish Don Henley and Donald Fagan were more like that as opposed to plugging holes and just moving along.

Re: OT: Led Zeppelin - Plagiarism and other news
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 11, 2018 19:02

Plant : LZ has been 12 years of his life then he moved on.
Page : LZ is all his life an will be till he dies.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: January 11, 2018 19:04

I don't disagree with you RollingFreak. Part of me certainly respects that Plant has moved on, and I like a lot of his solo stuff (especially the album w. Alison Krauss). And yeah - if he's not into it, and just going through the motions to satisfy people's bucket lists, it wouldn't hold much of the magic that made Zep so special.
I was very lucky to see the real Led Zep 3x ('71ish, 'and '75 and '77 at MSG -one of the few advantages of being an old dude!). I still think though that even a small Zep tour would (or 'could) be very exciting, and bring a lot of joy to a lot of (lucky) people. And heck - Plant might even enjoy it. Assuming they could pull it off. Seems like we'll never know. What Is and What Will Never Be...

Date: January 11, 2018 19:13

DEmerson
I don't disagree with you RollingFreak. Part of me certainly respects that Plant has moved on, and I like a lot of his solo stuff (especially the album w. Alison Krauss). And yeah - if he's not into it, and just going through the motions to satisfy people's bucket lists, it wouldn't hold much of the magic that made Zep so special.
I was very lucky to see the real Led Zep 3x ('71ish, 'and '75 and '77 at MSG -one of the few advantages of being an old dude!). I still think though that even a small Zep tour would (or 'could) be very exciting, and bring a lot of joy to a lot of (lucky) people. And heck - Plant might even enjoy it. Assuming they could pull it off. Seems like we'll never know. What Is and What Will Never Be...

Yes, I agree, and back in 07 I was praying it would happen. When it didn't, I feel the moment passed. That was the key time I think. At this point they are just too old, but I think if he REALLY wanted to back in 2007 after that O2 show it could have been something special. And I screamed at him (in my mind of course) about it for years. Then I think I came to the realization that he knew that and if he really wanted to (since the other guys really did) he would have, and obviously he must really have NOT wanted to. Thats why I get confused why the conversations still linger today cause we're so far past it, that was obviously the time. And I felt bad for him (as bad as you can for a multi millionaire) that that was a hard choice. He had to be the bad guy, he had to let people down, and he had to do it publicly when the others were saying "we're not the ones holding it up." Thats not easy, and I think that even more made me admire that he stuck to his guns and he obviously REALLY felt strongly not to continue it. And then when Celebration Day came out and I saw it on the big screen, while I obviously want to see it in person, I was very much able to applaud and realize the book of Zeppelin was over and thats about as good an ending as you can ask for.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 11, 2018 19:55

strat72
noughties

I couldn't disagree more with this post. Plant is an example to all artists in how to move on with your career.

The man has massive amounts of integrity.....
That is 100% true and he has no grass growing under his feet and good for him in not being weighed down by his past and living on fumes from the past .Robert Plant is truly an artist that strives to create NEW music sometimes better than other times .I also wish he would revisit some of his music from his first few early albums in concert.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1570
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home