Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ryan Adams on Keith - WTF With Marc Maron Podcast
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 14, 2017 15:59

Ryan Adams on WTF: Smoking a Joint With Keith Richards Was Like the Sistine Chapel

Andy Cush // February 13, 2017

Christopher Polk/Getty

In advance of his new album Prisoner, Ryan Adams appeared on today’s episode WTF with Marc Maron, chatting with Maron about his back catalog, his early punkish days as a musician, and the first time he met the Rolling Stones. The Stones stuff is especially charming, with the two gushing over their mutual hero worship for Keith Richards, who Adams calls a “deeply intellectual” conversationalist.

Adams opened for the Stones in the early 2000s, around the time of his breakthrough second solo album Gold. At some point, he shared a joint with Richards, an event that he recounts as a practically life-changing experience:

Adams: I remember the first time I was having a conversation with him, and he passed me a joint. And I remember my brain went into that freeze moment, when you’re like…imagine someone, where their whole life, they loved Meryl Streep or something. And they have pictures of her on their wall, or whatever. And so they find themselves at a coffee shop, and they’re behind her, and they say something. And time starts to slow down and freeze, just for the moment that their pleasant exchange happens…

It was before I went on. It was the day, and it was a big production. And someone said “Keith says to come down to Camp X-Ray.” That was the name of his backstage area, which is awesome. And I was like “Yeah, right on.” I went down and said hello, and I sat down. And I remember he passed me this joint, and time just went tick, tick, tick, tick… tick…. tick…. and I looked at his fingers, and I looked at my fingers going to grab it. And in my mind I was imagining the Sistine Chapel, or whatever.

Maron: Yeah, yeah. The two hands. The hand of God and the hand of man.

Adams: I was like, “Oh my God! The joint is being passed!” It was so crazy.

[www.spin.com]

Re: Ryan Adams on Keith - WTF With Marc Maron Podcast
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 14, 2017 16:13

I would have prefered a sample of the intellectual conversation...
Sharing a joint... that's so high school. grinning smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 14, 2017 16:18

Nice!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 15, 2017 00:02

I admire Ryan Adams..

Im listening to this podcast now..

I can relate to his North Carolina roots. his persistence in getting his career going is admirable.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 15, 2017 00:38

He came up with the Sistine chapel painting analogy before he toked?
Impressive! Great story, no doubt a moment in time!

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: February 20, 2017 01:38

Ryan's new album is fantastic!

Posted by: Strike ()
Date: February 20, 2017 11:04

The new album is really lame to be honest. I really liked him a lot but to me it seems he has lost it like many others at a certain age before....

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 21, 2017 21:35

35love, I think he was well-stoned already, before the *toke* and the image, if I recall the interview correctly.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 22, 2017 18:26

what kind was it ? Sour Diesel (my favorite) O.G. Kush, Blue Dreams ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2363
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home