Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 12
Re: Live in Texas - thoughts and reviews
Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: October 14, 2011 12:48

Here’s a bit of background reading as to what may (or may not, for that matter…) have inspired the ’78 Tour:

Sex Pistols Live in Texas '78

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-14 12:48 by xke38.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 16, 2011 16:50

I´m just back from Düsseldorf,watching it at last chance...still carried away.
I was surprised that about forty people got the same idea...didn´t expect that for a sunday (after-) noon.

Just fantastic !

After it finished two ladies asked me about the meaning of the word "whip" so I told them.
They smiled and wished they could´ve catched more of the lyrics...

Those of you who will be able to watch it at the cinema :

Just go...you won´t be disappointed !

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 16, 2011 16:57

shortfatfanny,reading what you wrote about the movie & the comments above makes me want to see the movie even more !

Date: October 16, 2011 17:04

SwayStones...I know,and it´s a damned shame how it´s distributed...or not.

Don´t be too sad,please...I wish I could shoot you a copy for your local movie house.

smiling smiley ...just for you

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 16, 2011 17:19

shortfatfanny
SwayStones...I know,and it´s a damned shame how it´s distributed...or not.

Don´t be too sad,please...I wish I could shoot you a copy for your local movie house.

smiling smiley ...just for you

Now that's sweet from you !

I will buy the DVD for sure but I just want to see it in a theater.....JAGGER on big screeeeeen !!smiling bouncing smiley

PS : While you were watching the Stones in Dusseldorf, I swam 1 km 1/2 at the pool .....cool smiley

Date: October 16, 2011 17:25

SwayStones
While you were watching the Stones in Dusseldorf, I swam 1 km 1/2 at the pool .....

Respect.........................................................................................................able winking smiley

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 16, 2011 19:37

shortfatfanny

So I can blame you if I am disappointed ? smiling smiley

Date: October 16, 2011 19:50

Edith Grove
shortfatfanny

So I can blame you if I am disappointed ? smiling smiley

In case you´re disappointed you got to move to Texas ! winking smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 17, 2011 08:38

I missed you shortfatfanny. I was there too. It was my second time and I wanted to make sure before I said anything, but did anyone else notice Ian Stewart gets the last frame before the screen goes black and the credits roll. Wonder if it's a special nod to him.

Date: October 17, 2011 22:27

Too bad...for a short moment I wanted to yell
"where are you,frankotero ?"
but of course I was too shy......smiling smiley

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 19, 2011 06:50

This movie/film/concert is the best thing they've ever put out that is live. That was a band on fire.

The goofiness - and intensity - of Mick Jagger is beyond anything ever. The facial remarks he makes, the communication, how they laugh at their screw ups (the 'never never never' bits in Beast Of Burden, which is astoundingly awesome), how Mick teases Ronnie throughout the show, how Mick screws up lyrics and just makes up something or slows some of the other words down. He's on the fly and the Stones are flying. This is a much better band than what appears in Ladies & Gentlemen... They play better than that Stones.

The film reveals what's wrong with the Stones as far as (enter year here without Bill Wyman). Although they've had some pretty good moments in the post-Wyman years, a major component of the engine that left has simply never been replaced. It can't be. And this movie, with the clear sound in the theatre, truly reveals that. It's one thing to listen to Voodoo, Stripped, Bridges, No Security, Live Licks and A Bigger Bang and to wish Wyman was on something and to say or think 'Darryl is a good bass player, he does alright', it's another to really feel what is missing from hearing them at a live performance peak like this WITH Wyman: the movement. The movement is there, in this film. It's almost tangible. They don't have movement anymore and haven't since Steel Wheels/Flashpoint, with exception to Jeff Sarli on the three tracks he played on for Bridges.

And it's amazing. Hearing Wyman's playing in this film really reveals this. It also reveals just how...out of touch the Stones are/have been overall since then with their own music (for the most part - like I said, there have been exceptions, at least to/for me). That the cruise control they've been on for the past few tours really is not worth the money to see them. No way. The intensity that they used to play with is gone and has been for years; now it's just a mere ghost of it. Overall at least.

And the decline in the string section really helps with this scenario.

This movie really puts things into perspective. More so than Ladies & Gentlemen since it's the Ronnie Wood Rolling Stones. The simplicity of this show and that tour is almost nerve rattling - WHAT THE HELL HAVE THEY BEEN DOING SINCE 1989!!!!!!!?????? The sonic career review. Making most of it pretty, shiny friendly and clean.

No wonder people love the 1981 boots - it's the last time the Stones toured without 19,000 backing musicians. They were still sloppy, fast, frantic, alive and interested.

Live In Texas is a real eye - and ear - opener. Especially to how they've been since 1981-82. I still stand by my thoughts that Undercover was the last inventive, creative and demonstrative album of the Stones BEING the Stones. Some Girls was obviously some massive recharge for them that they were able to somewhat handle for a few years, with the culmination of it all being Tattoo You and the tours for it. Perhaps the biggest irony of the Stones of all time is how big Some Girls was and how little they put into it via touring: it's their shortest live supported album ever as far as the big tours go especially considering how well received the album was.

Interesting observation, at least to me - in the movie, Mick is all over the place, like lightning. The jumping up and down, the in place kicking, the jitters, the shaking, the suddenly bolting from the microphone for some freak out and then back, the foot in the air, grabbing his crotch, the expressions, the leering and glaring, all the different voices he uses.

Yet Keith somewhat stays in his place and plays his ass off while expressing himself with? The poses and moves he now does rote. Back then they actually meant something - they were part of his playing; now they are part of his posing. Meanwhile Mick has gotten tamer and tamer and is nothing at all like the Jagger from 1978 (or 1981 for that matter) in terms of how he is on stage in what seems to be his truest sense. There is no wildness anymore - it's all choreographed and tightly managed. Of course, people change. In this movie he's certainly in touch with his inner Jagger, ha ha. It seems he's more in touch with his outer Jagger, starting in 1989.

Date: October 19, 2011 06:54

One more thing. The interview with 2011 Mick Jagger brings into focus what the deal was back in 1978 and how punk was such a big deal then. Yet on the album they have punk-esque songs along with the so called disco song, a country song and good ol' rock'n'roll songs.

Live, the punk may have been an influence on the album and the live performance of this tour in a way but this band played four covers that night: two chugging Chuck Berry songs, the slow ballad blues Love In Vain and of course The Temptations' Imagination.

And they played their country song.

So punk may have been an influence - but they really show just how rounded of a band they were with this show.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 19, 2011 06:56

...and don't forget Jagger talking about the Rap influence in the interview.

I still think Shattered was sort of a Rap tune.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 19, 2011 06:58

A great rock 'n' roll band on a kick-ass night.

Date: October 19, 2011 07:02

Edith Grove
...and don't forget Jagger talking about the Rap influence in the interview.

I still think Shattered was sort of a Rap tune.

Well, yes, there is that. But he was clear about the time and the kind of rap! Shattered, at least in the film, is more punk actually!

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: October 19, 2011 07:19

Loved it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 19, 2011 07:27

>Meanwhile Mick has gotten tamer and tamer and is nothing at all like the Jagger from 1978

Are you? Who is? If there's a live performer out there doing the same thing they were doing 33 years ago, I'm not interested.

Date: October 19, 2011 07:33

-This is a much better band than what appears in Ladies & Gentlemen-

Um. Nope.

Date: October 19, 2011 07:38

Glam Descendant
>Meanwhile Mick has gotten tamer and tamer and is nothing at all like the Jagger from 1978

Are you? Who is? If there's a live performer out there doing the same thing they were doing 33 years ago, I'm not interested.

Did ya not read the bit that said "in terms of how he is on stage in what seems to be his truest sense. There is no wildness anymore - it's all choreographed and tightly managed." after that?

Obviously not.

Date: October 19, 2011 07:38

pinkfloydthebarber
-This is a much better band than what appears in Ladies & Gentlemen-

Um. Nope.

Uhh. YEAH. Easily.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: October 19, 2011 07:39

great flick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-17 21:46 by chelskeith.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: October 19, 2011 07:40

Oh yeah, coldnt believe they kept in the line Mick said about they were tired cause they were up Fukin all nite, haha

Date: October 19, 2011 07:40

Especially considering part of the thread title is 'thoughts and reviews' and that is exactly what I did.

So yeah, better than Ladies & Gentlemen. L&G is good but not as good as Live In Texas.

Date: October 19, 2011 07:42

There may have been 8 people in the theatre...

Date: October 19, 2011 07:45

No, the L&G 72 band is not only better than the 78 band, but it better than any live band, ever. C'mon.

Date: October 19, 2011 07:55

>Somebody have the story on the splint on Bill's fingers?

Isn't this the tour where he jumped up to grab a fan's hand at the end of a show and fell off the stage?

>wished Mick wasnt the editor

I'm not sure what you mean -- Mick did not edit this movie.

I loved the film and find nothing bitch-worthy about it, other than the omission of "Lies". Lamenting the band's current state seems obviously pointless (or should that be pointlessly obvious?).

Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: October 19, 2011 08:06

Wow. I avoided this film for years due to the "unique" lighting which was a major distraction. (The stage lights wouldn't fit on the ceiling so they placed them BEHIND the band...looked like they were playing on a merry-go-round). I had no idea this new movie blacked out the background! Problem solved in a dream-like fashion. The band now stands out like stained glass windows...as they should. Digital rules! So does Bob Clearmountain. The band that keeps on giving.

Date: October 19, 2011 08:12

>I avoided this film for years due to the "unique" lighting which was a major distraction.

How did you avoid a film that's never been released before?

Date: October 19, 2011 08:45

yeah but there's boots out there of it, or at least of some of it

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 19, 2011 08:45

Frankly, I was blown away.

My opinion of their 1978 live performances was formed by a less-than-great show at Anaheim Stadium, and the three-song train-wreck on SNL.

This movie changed my mind.

They were white-hot. Totally together. Brilliant.

This is the most significant previously unseen performance film release since The Who At the Isle of Wight 1970.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2264
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home