Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Albert Hall '66 raw footage
Posted by: sizey ()
Date: September 27, 2011 13:23

Nice to see bits of footage creeping out. I've seen some of this in promo footage, but this is pretty amazing! Enjoy!

[www.itnsource.com]

Regards

Simon Wells

smoking smileyRe: Albert Hall '66 raw footage
Date: September 27, 2011 13:36

Nice sizey. Wish i could see the whole concert with sound. ps looking forward to read the redlands bust book.

Re: Albert Hall '66 raw footage
Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: September 27, 2011 13:40

Haven't seen this before:

Backstage from Albert Hall. ´"Singing" the Beatles I Feel Fine.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 27, 2011 13:47

Thommie

It's not from backstage at The Albert Hall, it's from 'Charlie Is My Darling' (filmed in Northern Ireland during late 1965).

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: September 27, 2011 15:27

Thanx....throw those fans off the stage just get'm the f%@# off...

Date: September 27, 2011 15:50

detroitken
guess iggy pop disagree with you about that

Date: September 27, 2011 15:51

Bostonstranglerno9
detroitken
guess iggy pop disagree with you about that

And Chuck Berry (as long as they're female). winking smiley

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: September 27, 2011 16:40

Thanks, that was fun

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: September 27, 2011 17:06

Sleepy City
Thommie

It's not from backstage at The Albert Hall, it's from 'Charlie Is My Darling' (filmed in Northern Ireland during late 1965).

1.16 - 1.34 min is actually backstage at the Albert Hall

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-27 17:07 by Sacke.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 27, 2011 17:23

Bouncers and heavys at RAH.I think they banned 'pop' concerts there for a few years.These days it is so casual and laid back when the crowds move to the front of stage.Hardly a security man/woman around. smoking smiley

Date: September 27, 2011 19:05

Sacke
Sleepy City
Thommie

1.16 - 1.34 min is actually backstage at the Albert Hall

I was refering to the bit Thommie mentioned (singing I Feel Fine).

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 27, 2011 19:11

Thanks very much for all footage of Royal Albert Hall 1966

In 1965 I attended my first true rock concert -- Dylan at Pasadena Civic.
"Something's happening and you don't know what it is..."

In 1966 on my first trip to London my friend Les Perrin invited me to Albert Hall in September 1966. I had a fabulous seat and the Stones were beyond exciting and thrilling, as was the wild reaction of the fans. I knew then that "something was happening" and that the music would take over the world. This was the Stones first major concert

There was a party afterward in a hotel banquet-type room with all the Stones gold albums from UK, US, Europe etc. covering the walls of the room. Had never seen anything like it before. Ike and Tina were there along with the other opening acts including The Yardbirds, Terry Reid and the compere Long John Baldry.

And, of course the Stones filing in to huge attention. Yes Cindy, I met Brian aka "Mr. Charming." Came to know Brian a bit later on, watched him go downhill until he became someone I wanted to avoid.

I still vividly remember that concert; it was truly mind-altering and overwhelming to watch all these young girls throwing themselves at this very solid stage. Not much security. Even Les was up there trying not to injure the girls as they tried to get up on that stage. Some made close to the band until they were grabbed and tossed offstage. The Stones kept playing throughout and they were laughing and smiling to realize in the moment that they were going to be a major success.

I'd also seen The Beatles in '65 in Las Vegas, met them, hung out etc. but, as you know, their concerts were so filled with screaming fans, that the music took second place. I had to go to an ear doctor the next week because my ears were still ringing.

In a nutshell,at this time I had already bought every Stones LP and listened to them every morning as I got ready for school. My parents were furious. Thus after the Albert Hall concert,it was crystal clear to me that the Stones were The Band for me. And I have never changed my mind.

(I consider all of the material in this post to be COPYRIGHTED by me and it will be a part of my next book which covers 1965 - 1980 since I consider these years to be the age of a most golden era ending with the murder of John Lennon. This was the End of Inocence and I try to never think about it...too heartbreaking.

To conclude on a high note, I came to know John quite well during his many visits in Los Angeles. I was working with Elton John and John would often come and see me in my office. He was a true blue friend to Jimi Hendrix and he like to talk about Hendrix to me. One day John was cuddled up in the corner of a flowered loveseat near my desk. And, as usual, I was on the phone masterminding the success of EJ. I was generally very mannerly on the telephone and I kept saying stuff like "It's so kind of you to say this...I'll be sure and tell Elton you called" and blah blah blah. Lennon was gigging to himself especially when I concluded the call with this major record mover and shaker (Ahmet Ertegun) by thanking him for his call, put down the phone and declared, "You @#$%&!" because all Ahmet's smarmy "we're pals" routine was getting to me. I had already sadly learned that I didn't trust anyone over 30!

John was laughing his head off at my change of tone. I said "Oh shut up John!"
He told me: "No one ever talks to me like you do." and he laughed some more as though he enjoyed being put down.

It was a very busy day for me and I just didn't have time for John. "Why are you so mean to me?" he teased.

WIthout even thinking, I haughtily replied: "I TOLD you that I'm a Stones fan" as though he counted for nothing. He laughed and laughed and several times later when we ran into each other at a club or party, he would insist on introducing me to this and that musician always saying, "This is Sharon. She's a STONES fan!"
Several times,John would add, "And so am I."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-27 20:09 by stonesrule.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 27, 2011 19:21

stonesrule

In 1966 on my first trip to London my friend Les Perrin invited me to Albert Hall in September 1966. I had a fabulous seat and the Stones were beyond exciting and thrilling, as was the wild reaction of the fans. I knew then that "something was happening" and that the music would take over the world. This was the Stones first major concert

There was a party afterward with all the Stones gold albums filling the walls of the room

TO BE CONTINUED

Cool! Looking forward to the rest of the story.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: September 27, 2011 19:35

stonesrule

There was a party afterward with all the Stones gold albums filling the walls of the room

TO BE CONTINUED

Setlist? smileys with beer

Date: September 27, 2011 20:01

How wonderful you were there- I dare say this thread could easily move onto dear Les Perrin- what a job he had. Yes, the security looks really rough at the Albert Hall- quite worrying when you consider many of the fans were just kids.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 27, 2011 20:15

stonesrule
"This is Sharon. She's a STONES fan!"
quote]

Yes that and much more. I loved this post. loved it. The Elton John-Jimi Hendrix connection and insights are especially important to me. My first two records were EJ- greatest Hits and JH- War Heroes. They both influenced me tremendously and I play covers by both of them often. They seem like an ocean away from each other to most, but they certainly join together in me. I don't believe their music is mutually exclusive as such, hard rock and beautiful soulful ballads, side by side.

Thank you for this post. Excellent. You have brought these two artists together in a nice story and the bridge to my feelings is made and reinforced by it. peace.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 27, 2011 20:41

stonesrule

Wonderful story! looking forward to the reading the rest...

Date: September 27, 2011 20:44

Sizey,you're so right. So many kids that night; they were out of their minds with joy and the girls just wouldn't behave! What I think bothered the little security that was there (Security at Albert Hall normally had no problems in these innocent times) was that girls were banging their heads against a massive stage so hard they could have become brain dead; they were so excited they had lost sense of all reason.

Actually on stage as opposed to being below it, the band's POV was the vast audience filling the hall. Not until some of the girls got on the stage did the Stones begin to realize there was a problem. Traditionally bands have been told, "Just keep playing." As the big concerts and tours took over, security and police in large numbers became part of the music landscape.

As I recall most Beatle fans stayed in their seats and just screamed and screamed.
Stones fans were rowdier. Also, we are talking about young teenage girls at Albert Hall...who didn't think about danger; they were simply overwhelmed by their enthusiasm.

Regarding Les Perrin, he wasn't used to suddenly being called in to help provide security. He was a really good person who was devoted to all the people he represented and seldom got a good's night sleep as the Stones popularity and drug busts took over his life.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 27, 2011 20:44

Indeed, wonderful story, and funny too - thanks, Stonesrule !

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: September 27, 2011 20:46

nothing new, old stock footage, also used for Have You Seen Your Mother film

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 27, 2011 22:03

Great post stonesrule .Get the old brainbox working and post some more recollections of a bygone era in a time when some of us were young and carefree.It's all very much appreciated. smileys with beer

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: September 27, 2011 22:15

Great stuff Sizey & Stonesrule.......

I think much of this footage is shown in the 25X5 vid.

Date: September 27, 2011 23:04

Lovely recollections. When did Les leave us?

Yes Peter WHitehead's footage has been used a lot- I was just surprised to see it in its raw state.

Whitehead often talked about boys wanting to kiss the band- and you'll see it in here. He said in the "Video Jukebox" interview something along the lines of: "they want to kiss them, and then when they got on the stage and find themselves in front of them they don't know to do- so they hit them instead."

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 28, 2011 10:19

sizey
Lovely recollections. When did Les leave us?

Yes Peter WHitehead's footage has been used a lot- I was just surprised to see it in its raw state.

Whitehead often talked about boys wanting to kiss the band- and you'll see it in here. He said in the "Video Jukebox" interview something along the lines of: "they want to kiss them, and then when they got on the stage and find themselves in front of them they don't know to do- so they hit them instead."

That looks like a boy managing to kiss Keith at about 0.30 in the raw Albert Hall footage.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 28, 2011 23:46

Sharon - thank you for sharing those stories. My what a life you've had. To say I'm jealous, extremely jealous even, is a huge understatement.

The story about John on the phone made me laugh - we are very much alike. My important hot-shot bosses always liked having me around because I would give them sh*t like that too (if and when they deserved it)- and they ALWAYS loved it. "No one puts me in my place the way you do, Cindy" - I've heard that a lot in my life.

Anyway, that's probably why I like you so much!

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: September 29, 2011 01:00

Thank you very much CindyC. We both must be drinking or at least wishing...

Since it's you I will say that the only time I saw Brian appear with the Stones was at the Albert Hall. And he was terrific...quite thrilling when brought out the dulcimer. Very cute boy...then.

Keith was cute too...and quite shy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1350
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home