Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Brian playing on Its All Over Now
Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: December 31, 2019 13:30

So is it really a 12 string ?

Date: December 31, 2019 14:48

Kingbeebuzz
So is it really a 12 string ?

Check out video for more info: [youtu.be]

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 1, 2020 23:56

Kingbeebuzz
Wikipedia states that on Its All Over Now, Brian Jones played a 12 string electric guitar.
I have never heard of this before.
My original 7” single, bought in 1964, does not sound like a 12 string to me.
Surely it is not a 12 string?
On the TAMI show Brian used a 6 string.
On Joe Loss BBC Radio Show he used a 6 string.

Is Wikipedia entry wrong?

Brian did use a 12 string on the studio recording. He also used one for the Joe Loss Pop Show. Additionally he used one when the band mimed to IAON on atleast 4 occasions in June to July 1964.

People expect jingle jangle from a 12, but Brian used it in a more choppy and raw way. The octaves heard in the little lick he plays gives it away that it's a 12 string.

He played much same parts in studio and live. TAMI show is missing the octave chime when he plays the lick and sounds more fatter and lower when compared to the studio recording.

Here is a guitar cover I did to enable people to hear an approximation of what Brian played.

[youtu.be]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-02 00:42 by His Majesty.

Date: January 2, 2020 02:11

His Majesty

Here is a guitar cover I did to enable people to hear an approximation of what Brian played.

[youtu.be]

Very enlightening.thumbs up

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 2, 2020 09:45

Great analysis, HM!

On some of the lousy mid-80s ABKCO CDs guitar parts of Brian and Keith are heard "separately". The worst example is Get Off Of My Cloud.
The way we grew up with the Stones was this subtle mix of the guitars by both, which gave that unique flavor to the songs. Those mid-80s CDs were in part a big disappointment. Luckily they made up for it with the SACDs in the early part of this Millennium ...
Happy New Year!
smileys with beer

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: January 2, 2020 10:03

Kingbeebuzz

p
I always thought the on the TAMI Show the Rolling Stones performed to a pre-recorded instrumental tape with only Mick Jagger singing live. It could be the same on the Joe Loss Show but I know nothing about it.

Date: January 2, 2020 10:45

saltoftheearth
Kingbeebuzz

p
I always thought the on the TAMI Show the Rolling Stones performed to a pre-recorded instrumental tape with only Mick Jagger singing live. It could be the same on the Joe Loss Show but I know nothing about it.

Totally live on both.

Date: January 2, 2020 10:47

georgie48
Great analysis, HM!

On some of the lousy mid-80s ABKCO CDs guitar parts of Brian and Keith are heard "separately". The worst example is Get Off Of My Cloud.
The way we grew up with the Stones was this subtle mix of the guitars by both, which gave that unique flavor to the songs. Those mid-80s CDs were in part a big disappointment. Luckily they made up for it with the SACDs in the early part of this Millennium ...
Happy New Year!
smileys with beer

Thanks.

Although they are an odd listen, those stereo mixes are very helpful for working out guitar parts etc and letting you hear things in isolation.

Date: January 3, 2020 17:26

Thank you to His Majesty and Dandelion Powderman for the info on the 12 string.

I was wrong......I've been listening to this great track since 1964 and never knew it was a 12 string electric. Over 50 years !!!

So thank you both for the info..........I learn something new every day !!!

I am now going to get my hearing tested.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 3, 2020 20:09

This song shows what a great guitarist he was.Not just a great slide player buta great sense of rhythm

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 3, 2020 20:18

When it came to music, I don't think Brian had a flaw. An amazing instrumentalist with a faculty for seemingly any instrument. Equally important, he was a highly inventive arranger. Jagger and Richards were never better than when Brian was firing on all cylinders and they trusted him to elevate their material.

Date: January 3, 2020 20:23

<Jagger and Richards were never better than when Brian was firing on all cylinders and they trusted him to elevate their material>

thumbs up

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 3, 2020 21:09

Rocky Dijon
When it came to music, I don't think Brian had a flaw. An amazing instrumentalist with a faculty for seemingly any instrument. Equally important, he was a highly inventive arranger. Jagger and Richards were never better than when Brian was firing on all cylinders and they trusted him to elevate their material.
.I would have loved to have heard what he could have done with present day recording advances and synthesizers.He was able to do great things with mellotron,which are really hard to play.Those people who say he wasn’t a great lead guitarist who could play blazing fast like John McLaughlin miss the fact he was a great rhythm guitarist

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 3, 2020 22:12

Taylor1
Rocky Dijon
.I would have loved to have heard what he could have done with present day recording advances and synthesizers.He was able to do great things with mellotron,which are really hard to play.Those people who say he wasn’t a great lead guitarist who could play blazing fast like John McLaughlin miss the fact he was a great rhythm guitarist

Well, I find him a great musician, but a very limited and mediocre guitarist.

Mathijs

Date: January 4, 2020 01:42

Mathijs

Well, I find him a great musician, but a very limited and mediocre guitarist.

Mathijs

Yet, still better than you. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: January 4, 2020 16:37

Before "Satisfaction," Brian played terrific guitar and he and Keith blended very well. Mick and Keith learned quite a few tricks from him on both guitar and harmonica. Once Keith established himself as the guy writing riffs, they never clicked as guitarists the same way.

I suspect the problem lay with both their egos. Keith was never going to let a situation like "The Last Time" happen again where Brian was given the riff Keith wrote. One can hardly fault him for that. Keith writing songs that were hits galvanized Brian into competing by interpreting those riffs and licks on other instruments. It was a sense of competition that worked beautifully for the band until Anita going to Keith created an imbalance Brian could not recover from.

From that point on, Brian was more fragile and Mick and Keith were more closed in their dealings with him. By the end, he seemed like an idea man who they listened to once in awhile and then asked Jimmy Miller to get a sideman to execute the idea. Perhaps a simplification of the situation, but it's how I see it.

Re: Track Talk: It's All Over Now
Date: January 4, 2020 17:49

Its All Over Now was recorded on 10th June 1964 in USA.

Stones Gear book states that the Vox 6 and 12 string guitars were not given to the Stones until early July 1964 after they returned to England.

So..........was it recorded with a Vox ? or some other 12 string lying around the studio.

Also, although Brian mimed on TV with a 12 string Vox, is there any evidence that he ever played Its All Over Now live using a 12 string ?

Date: January 4, 2020 19:34

Kingbeebuzz
Its All Over Now was recorded on 10th June 1964 in USA.

Stones Gear book states that the Vox 6 and 12 string guitars were not given to the Stones until early July 1964 after they returned to England.

So..........was it recorded with a Vox ? or some other 12 string lying around the studio.

Also, although Brian mimed on TV with a 12 string Vox, is there any evidence that he ever played Its All Over Now live using a 12 string ?

Brian is shown with a Vox 12 string in June.

He used a Vox 12 for The Joe Loss Pop Show.

Date: January 4, 2020 19:39

Rocky Dijon
Keith was never going to let a situation like "The Last Time" happen again where Brian was given the riff Keith wrote.

Brian wrote and played The Last Time riff. He was not 'given the riff'.

[youtu.be]

Date: January 4, 2020 20:59

Thanks, your majesty. Glad to know we can add a Brian Jones wing next to the Mick Taylor Hall of Shame for people who wrote Stones riffs and then did nothing when the label read Jagger-Richards. Apparently a requirement for being in the band was to be a spineless idiot willing to be repeatedly taken advantage of by Jagger and Richards.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: January 4, 2020 21:16

Brian is somewhat down in the mix but you can hear what HM very capably demonstrated: [www.youtube.com]

Date: January 4, 2020 21:29

bleedingman
Brian is somewhat down in the mix but you can hear what HM very capably demonstrated: [www.youtube.com]

Full show here.
[youtu.be]

Note Mick mentions Brian changing guitars after IAON and then they play If You Need Me with Brian playing 6 string guitar.

Brian had both his 6 and 12 string Vox guitars with him and also his Gretsch.

One of the 6's was probably tuned to open G for I Can't Be Satisfied which they, along with other songs, also recorded for Top Gear on this day.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-04 21:38 by His Majesty.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: January 4, 2020 21:57

...this track made me realise ,56 years ago ,how great they were....

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 4, 2020 23:29

georgie48
Great analysis, HM!

Happy New Year!
smileys with beer

Hey Georgie48, that wasn't mid 80s ABKC0, that was the original London Hot Rocks CD from 85, mastered by Mobile Fidelity. As far as I know, the only CD that has stereo versions of Play With Fire, Satisfaction and Cloud, the last two being "wide" stereo. Satisfaction you can clearly hear Brian's acoustic guitar as well as Stu's piano playing. They do sound weird listening to them on a stereo. Also has wide stereo version of Mother's Little Helper. 2002 hybrids have stereo MLH as well as a very faint stereo version of Satisfaction where the acoustic guitar sounds a bit stereo but Stu's piano is inaudible.

Date: January 4, 2020 23:39

Rocky Dijon
Glad to know we can add a Brian Jones wing next to the Mick Taylor Hall of Shame for people who wrote Stones riffs and then did nothing when the label read Jagger-Richards. Apparently a requirement for being in the band was to be a spineless idiot willing to be repeatedly taken advantage of by Jagger and Richards.

thumbs up +1

Posted by: fela ()
Date: January 5, 2020 00:42

Agree with Springsteen
my fav and one of the greatest KRichard solo ..pure electric discharge

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: January 5, 2020 01:10

fela
Agree with Springsteen

John Lennon found it very bad and made fun of him...

Date: January 5, 2020 01:15

jp.M
fela
Agree with Springsteen

John Lennon found it very bad and made fun of him...

Supposedly. Read Life again and you'll see it wasn't actually said to him by John. It's an un unamed person told me John said this.

A tall story? Who knows, but it has been good fodder for book promotion, reviews and forums.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-05 01:25 by His Majesty.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 28, 2023 15:48

new "official visualizer"

i think this one maybe more appropriate for shatteredwinking smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 28, 2023 16:01

Some of the visuals are better, like 1960's band pictures, and there's even a London Record Label. But lava lamps at this time?

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home