Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: It's All Over Now
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 27, 2011 08:33

Yes, this is terrific. Wonderful production, great harmonies, superb guitars.

At the same time, it reminds us that the Stones were to become better songwriters than even the ones they revered: as a song, The Last Time is clearly superior to It's All Over Now.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-27 10:59 by drewmaster.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: September 27, 2011 10:04

drewmaster
At the same time, it reminds us that the Stones were to become better songwriters than even the ones they revered: as a song, The Last Time is clearly superior to It's All Over Now.

Drew

Yes, but do you consider "The Last Time" as a Stones composition?
Wasn't it well, let's say lifted from the Staple Singers!?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 27, 2011 10:14

Rank Stranger
drewmaster

Drew

The chorus was. The rest, as far as I know, is original. You can find the Staples Singers version on YouTube - have a listen and see what you think.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 27, 2011 10:16

Rank Stranger
drewmaster

Drew

It's very different, so I definitely consider it a Stones composition:

Date: September 27, 2011 10:17

And while we're on the subject of original versions:

Date: September 27, 2011 10:20

Of course, Ronnie was playing this song long before he joined the RS...

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: September 27, 2011 12:11

Some great comments here on this classic... (special thanks to Gazza!)

The June 1964 Chess sessions really are magnificent!
Superb sound and musically probably the very best of the early Stones -
Brian still on top with superb harmonica and great, confident guitar playing.
His "power chords" on this track are awesome!>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: September 27, 2011 14:00

Sleepy City
It's very different, so I definitely consider it a Stones composition:

Thanks, but the link does not work over here! In Germany there's kind of a war going on between "YouTube" and "GEMA", "GEMA" tries to get some money for the artists, "YouTube" doesn't want to pay...

but I found another link, and I agree that it is quite different!

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 27, 2011 16:42

Blue
I wonder if he used the 12 string vox or the 6 string vox on the actual recording of this VERY FINE song

According to Bill Wyman it was the 12-string that gave the song a country and western sound.
(source: timeisonourside

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: September 27, 2011 16:57

marcovandereijk
Blue
I wonder if he used the 12 string vox or the 6 string vox on the actual recording of this VERY FINE song

According to Bill Wyman it was the 12-string that gave the song a country and western sound.
(source: timeisonourside

Thank you, marcovandereik, interesting info...that 12 string seemed to have it's own unique sound...

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: September 27, 2011 17:13

To bad The Grateful Dead and The Stones couldn't play together in the 70's or 80's. I guess after Altamont, that was never going to happen. To bad. Keith and Jerry would've ripped it up as Bobby and Mick would be doing their Hollywood Rock N Roll thing. LOL

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 28, 2011 10:52

It's on Stones top three list over best songs...everything is perfect...the instruments and vocal...attitude..everything...This is a song that makes justice to say that The Rolling Stones were a more interesting band than the Beatles in 1964 ...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: September 28, 2011 23:37

Agreed, Doxa. Everything fits. The instrumentation, arrangement, attitude. The right song at the right time. Light years away from the average pop song. Strong C+W feel to it too, largely from Brian's Vox, so to me this tune crosses several musical categories. Not sure if I have a stereo version ... would love to hear the separation.

Date: September 28, 2011 23:53

Definitely a perfect single. I've never heard a live version that matched it. I have read the confusion over "high class game" and "half-assed game" before, but as early as The TAMI Show, Mick was substituting "hurt my nose open" for "hurt my eyes open." I was always disappointed that they never tried to recapture the original arrangement in later years. The version on the VOODOO LOUNGE tour was very much in The Faces' mould.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: September 29, 2011 00:03

I´d say the country "feel" is from Keith´s 12-string guitar...
Brian rocks here!

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: September 29, 2011 00:39

Brian on IAON just after it was released: "I'm not too keen on the record."

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: September 29, 2011 02:41

Rootsy, true that. Forgot about Keith, how could I? smileys with beer

Neptune, yet another infuriating side to Brian, NEVER satisfied. "I Just Can't be Satisfied" ... "Can't Get No Satisfaction". Yeah, sometimes he didn't know greatness when it blasted him in the ears.

Date: September 29, 2011 03:21

This song is country music on steroids. Not even 1% rock here. All country.

Date: September 29, 2011 03:46

TheDailyBuzzherd
Neptune, yet another infuriating side to Brian, NEVER satisfied. "I Just Can't be Satisfied" ... "Can't Get No Satisfaction". Yeah, sometimes he didn't know greatness when it blasted him in the ears.

The admirable thing about Brian was that he spoke his mind. He often came across as a confused, 'unsatisfied' lad, but many great artists are that way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-29 04:04 by neptune.

Date: September 29, 2011 11:10

WilliamPatrickMaynard
Definitely a perfect single. I've never heard a live version that matched it. I have read the confusion over "high class game" and "half-assed game" before, but as early as The TAMI Show, Mick was substituting "hurt my nose open" for "hurt my eyes open." I was always disappointed that they never tried to recapture the original arrangement in later years. The version on the VOODOO LOUNGE tour was very much in The Faces' mould.

"hurt my nose open" is what the Valentinos sing on their version - known to be the original the Stones worked from. To this speaker of British English, neither version makes sense - can anyone translate or explain?

Date: September 29, 2011 11:58

WilliamPatrickMaynard

This one is pretty true to the original, I think.

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: September 30, 2011 00:34

IMHO they seldom covered those early R&R and R&B numbers as such, let alone some Chuck Berry songs. They used their own arrangements and soundwise, created a new kind of treatment. In some cases (Around & Around, You can´t catch me), they managed to beat the master himself.

Poison Ivy, Down Home Girl, Mercy Mercy, Good Time, That´s how strong my love is etc.

I think they peaked with Out of Our Heads (US & European), with those R&B numbers and two of their greatest ever records, Satisfaction and The Last Time.

The aftermath, called Aftermath was a leap forward (with 14 all self-written songs and new instruments), but at the time also a step downwards. It wasn´t up to the level of honed to perfection production of R&B AND killer tunes of Out of Our Heads.

Date: September 30, 2011 10:20

DandelionPowderman
WilliamPatrickMaynard

This one is pretty true to the original, I think.

The intro is much closer to The Faces version.

I don't know why the band feel the need to rearrange the early singles when performing them live (why no drum intro on Get Off Of My Cloud for example?).

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 13, 2015 03:11

Listening to the studio version just now, damn Brian's rhythm part is damn fine.

Played on a 12 string. smoking smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 13, 2015 09:13

neptune
This song is country music on steroids. Not even 1% rock here. All country.

True. Either you play the Hank-way or the Muddy-way..this is def. country...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 13, 2015 09:43

Green Lady
Could listen to that outro for ever...

Four years later, I want to express my agreement. There is some absolute magic about that outro.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 13, 2015 10:03

Greatest Stones song that I never remember to listen to anymore. I really need to buy some string. I also wanna hear 'Walking The Dog' and 'You Can't Catch Me' in the near future. I've been stuck in the seventies for far too long...

Brian playing on Its All Over Now
Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: December 30, 2019 00:26

Wikipedia states that on Its All Over Now, Brian Jones played a 12 string electric guitar.
I have never heard of this before.
My original 7” single, bought in 1964, does not sound like a 12 string to me.
Surely it is not a 12 string?
On the TAMI show Brian used a 6 string.
On Joe Loss BBC Radio Show he used a 6 string.

Is Wikipedia entry wrong?

Re: Brian playing on Its All Over Now
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 30, 2019 00:33

I always thought this song, especially the beginning, was a great example of Keith's description of him and Brian weaving.

Re: Brian playing on Its All Over Now
Date: December 30, 2019 01:40

DGA35
I always thought this song, especially the beginning, was a great example of Keith's description of him and Brian weaving.

Confessing The Blues is a better example of weaving. On It's All Over Now Brian plays chords with a 12 string while Keith is doing the picking.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1829
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home