Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Love In Vain: 1978
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 26, 2011 05:12

I'm probably in the minority here, but I like the 1978 versions.
Different attitude towards the song, different approach; much more dramatic singing from Jagger, Charlie coming in earlier, Keith playing more licks in-between lines,
adding a piano and Hammond.
I think Wood was wise not to copy Taylor's gunslinging solos, terrific as they were.
Plus the added touch of him using the Echo-plex and playing in open E.
I know most love the versions with Taylor and some (most) think the '78 versions are a train wreck. Sometimes it does seem like it's gonna fall apart any second.
Anyway...opinions? Any versions you like better than others from that year?

Re: Love In Vain: 1978
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 26, 2011 05:51

I love it. Great versions to be found on Handsome Girls. I agree with all you stated in your post. Ronnie made it different, but also really shined on it as well. Some great guitar interplay between him and Keith. And yes, I like Jagger on this as well, especially on the ending where he spazes out. Love it!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 26, 2011 07:21

Those 1972-73 versions with Mick Taylor can't be topped. Those leads are perfectly played and oh so soulful. So it was probably a dubious idea for them to ever revisit that song with Ron Wood, even if he played it in Faces.

Having said that, I much prefer the version on Stripped to any version of Love in Vain that I've heard from 1978. Wood finally sounds like he's got the solo down by 1995.

At the same time, the 1978 Stones versions beat the crap out of any version of it that I've heard from the 1979 New Barbarians tour. Those ones are just shambolic.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 26, 2011 07:33

Maybe you've stumbled across Ronnie's true talent, playing country and country blues. I liked his pedal steel work and listening to this thread makes me wonder. He just doesn't do much for me as a rock or funk or soul or R&B or Stones guitarist. Generally, his slide work is boring, rather shabby and cliche as it gets. I think he quit learning after he learned all the stones stuff in 1975 in Woodstock NY and really should have kept learning and developing before he broke free from the learning curve. peace.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: September 26, 2011 15:12

Yes, I really dig the '78 versions on Handsome Girls. The feel of the song is very different from the (imho beautiful) '69 versions (less different from '72). As Tomk stated, it's not just Wood, it's also in the sound of the keyboards,Richard's guitar (Fender in 78 I guess, Gibson before?),Jagger's singing etc. All together a more 'countryfied' version. The thing is: it really suits the '78 version of The Rolling Stones. That's why I think it works. Looking forward to the '78 DVD with LIV on it!

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: September 26, 2011 18:03

Taylor owned this song, of course. I like Ronnie's playing on it, though. The reason they still played it after Taylor (maybe) is because Mick likes to sing it, or because he sings it well...

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: September 26, 2011 21:22

I second that emotion! Even though MT is great, especially during the '72 tour, I gotta say that '78 kicks everything else outta the door.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 27, 2011 01:17

texas fan
Taylor owned this song, of course. I like Ronnie's playing on it, though. The reason they still played it after Taylor (maybe) is because Mick likes to sing it, or because he sings it well...

MT is not even on the studio cut, Ry Cooder is playing mandolin. The guts of the Stones version is Keith on guitar and Jagger. Taylor's live solo was beautiful but that doesn't mean he "owned" the song unless a guitar solo is all that matters.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: September 27, 2011 03:10

Totally love the raw '78 version of this. Mick's vocals are fantastic.

Date: September 27, 2011 10:22

TeddyB1018
texas fan

MT is not even on the studio cut, Ry Cooder is playing mandolin. The guts of the Stones version is Keith on guitar and Jagger. Taylor's live solo was beautiful but that doesn't mean he "owned" the song unless a guitar solo is all that matters.

Keith's slide on the studio take is perfection. A lesson in effective playing with feeling, imo.

I like all the different versions of LIV, that goes for the Stripped version, too.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 27, 2011 10:31

There is a big difference between the way The Stones played Love in Vain and Robert Johnson's
version. The Faces adopted the way The Stones played it. But were The Stones the first to
play it this way, or was there any other band before them to cover this song?

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 27, 2011 10:35

One thing I don't like about all live versions is the fact that they perform it in a lower key than the studio cut ("G" instead of "Bb"). The only time I can recall hearing them do it in the "proper" key is on The Ed Sullivan Show, which featured live vocals over a pre-recorded backing track of course.

Date: September 27, 2011 10:39

marcovandereijk
There is a big difference between the way The Stones played Love in Vain and Robert Johnson's
version. The Faces adopted the way The Stones played it. But were The Stones the first to
play it this way, or was there any other band before them to cover this song?

Keith is playing more like Robert Johnson's version on the Stones's version from Isle Of Wight 2007.

Date: September 27, 2011 10:40

Sleepy City
One thing I don't like about all live versions is the fact that they perform it in a lower key than the studio cut ("G" instead of "Bb"). The only time I can recall hearing them do it in the "proper" key is on The Ed Sullivan Show, which featured live vocals over a pre-recorded backing track of course.

Good call. I could not think of any time they did it in the 'studio' key.
IMO "Love in Vain" is a great, great adaptation; a tribute, expanding on a song taking it into newer times - it's everything music should be about.
And it comes right out of the best, most fruitful times of the Jagger/Richards friendship and partnership.
Oh, and yes - I like the 78 version too. It fit in well with the punk theme of the 78 songlist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-27 10:41 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1595
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home