Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
The Rolling Stones Albums Ranked From Worst To Best - Classic Rock Magazine
Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: December 6, 2016 06:06

[teamrock.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 20:13 by JohnnyBGoode.

Re: The Rolling Albums Ranked From Worst To Best - Classic Rock Magazine
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 6, 2016 07:09

By placing Emotional Rescue at the bottom of the barrel, this writer has instantly lost all credibility.
While not in my personal top 10, it's far better than Undercover, Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Bridges, Voodoo, A bigger Bang, and Shine a Light.

"Dance (Pt. 1) is right up there on the rotten front as well, which is a shame as it marks Ronnie Wood’s only writing credit alongside Jagger and Richards.
Some might say it sounds an awful lot like Led Zeppelin’s Trampled Underfoot"

What an idiotic statement - I give this writer two thumbs down. thumbs downthumbs down

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: December 6, 2016 07:17

Hairball
By placing Emotional Rescue at the bottom of the barrel, this writer has instantly lost all credibility.
While not in my personal top 10, it's far better than Undercover, Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Bridges, Voodoo, A bigger Bang, and Shine a Light.

"Dance (Pt. 1) is right up there on the rotten front as well, which is a shame as it marks Ronnie Wood’s only writing credit alongside Jagger and Richards.

What an idiotic statement - I give this writer two thumbs down. thumbs downthumbs down

Couldn't agree more! Silly list, but fun to discuss!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 6, 2016 07:52

Yes JohnnyBGoode, fun to discuss. thumbs up

Having now read the entire article, the writer also seems to contradict himself several times.
While he bashes Emotional Rescue (#26) as an "ill-advised immersion in the world of disco", he then goes on to praise Some Girls (#7) by saying "the Stones were never going to attempt to take on the punks at their own game, but disco? They could do that. Miss You owned that summer. Its Bill Wyman-via-Billy Preston bass-lope, when allied to Charlie’ Watts’ four-to-the-floor backbeat, was irresistible".

Oh well, not a total waste of time - was nice to see some of the videos posted in the article. thumbs up

Posted by: MRAmandaJones ()
Date: December 6, 2016 10:57

Are they serious?

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: December 6, 2016 15:01

Hairball

Why? I'd have thought that ER is a fairly obvious choice, particularly from a classic rock perspective.

Date: December 6, 2016 15:14

xke38
Hairball

Why? I'd have thought that ER is a fairly obvious choice, particularly from a classic rock perspective.

Are you serious?

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 6, 2016 15:37

Emotional Rescue is a great classic Rolling Stones album and better for sure then UC, DW, SW, VL, BTB, ABB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 15:42 by 1962.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 6, 2016 15:42

Lol you can tell people here are diehard fans, but Emotional Rescue is an awful album. Not worse than their post 1981 ones, but its easily their worst from before they started to stop caring (Tattoo You, and earlier). Like, without question there's no album worse before it in their catalogue.

Date: December 6, 2016 15:44

RollingFreak
Lol you can tell people here are diehard fans, but Emotional Rescue is an awful album. Not worse than their post 1981 ones, but its easily their worst from before they started to stop caring (Tattoo You, and earlier). Like, without question there's no album worse before it in their catalogue.

LOL, I'd take ER any day to GHS, IORR and BAB.

Date: December 6, 2016 15:52

DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak

I'll give you Black And Blue. I forgot that one is pretty awful as well. I guess at least for me there are 2-4 songs I truly like and feel add to their catalogue. And I also thought that album was very well liked here. But GHS and IORR, while not being classics, are more than fine records. IORR has way more good than bad.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: December 6, 2016 15:58

Good to see A Bigger Bang relatively high in the list at 11 and Goats Head Soup down in 19; the latter has for too long been grossly overrated, sometimes to the extent of fans or critics attempting to include it in a 'big 5' alongside the studio albums released between 1968 and 1972.

Also, why are so many of the great live albums absent? Not to include at least one of Stripped, No Security or Live Licks seems absurd.

Olly.

Date: December 6, 2016 16:12

RollingFreak
DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak

I'll give you Black And Blue. I forgot that one is pretty awful as well. I guess at least for me there are 2-4 songs I truly like and feel add to their catalogue. And I also thought that album was very well liked here. But GHS and IORR, while not being classics, are more than fine records. IORR has way more good than bad.

None of these albums are «awful». They're all very good. ER is excellent.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 6, 2016 16:15

"None of these albums are «awful». They're all very good. ER is excellent."

Agree!

Date: December 6, 2016 16:25

DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak
DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak

None of these albums are «awful». They're all very good. ER is excellent.

We agree to disagree. If I had to rank their classic ones (81 and back), those two are easily the worst for me and its not even a question. To say otherwise I feel is giving the band way too much credit, but hey people also just like different things. ER would be the worst 81 and back album for me.

Date: December 6, 2016 16:33

<We agree to disagree>

Yep.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 6, 2016 16:35

Emotional Rescue is a great classic Rolling Stones album and better for sure then UC, DW, SW, VL, BTB, ABB.

AHEM. When using the first letters only in an album title please use the first letter only.

For example, UNDERCOVER is just U. The album is not called UNDER COVER.

Date: December 6, 2016 16:40

RollingFreak

Like, without question, eh? So clearly otherwise. Then I will speak factually:

THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST is their worst album prior to DIRTY WORK, which is the epitome of what a worst album is. ER is nowhere near as bad as either of those albums.

Date: December 6, 2016 16:45

Hairball

Terrible writing. You are correct. In fact, the writer never had credibility. Nor does he know what an album is: a box set is not an album. And live albums don't get ranked when talking about albums in the context of ranking albums - yet alone the fact that the geezer didn't include all the live albums (and the worst one ever made the geezer's list, the embarrassingly bad SHINE A LIGHT).

As was pointed out, the bit about disco with ER, which is just the title track anyway, is suddenly bad but Miss You is king?

What a knot head.

Date: December 6, 2016 16:48

Olly
Good to see A Bigger Bang relatively high in the list at 11 and Goats Head Soup down in 19; the latter has for too long been grossly overrated, sometimes to the extent of fans or critics attempting to include it in a 'big 5' alongside the studio albums released between 1968 and 1972.

Also, why are so many of the great live albums absent? Not to include at least one of Stripped, No Security or Live Licks seems absurd.

Because the geezer thinks A BIGGER BANG is better than GOATS HEAD SOUP, which is miles above A BIGGER BANG and no serious Stones fan would ever rank ABB above GHS. And aside from that blunder, he includes their worst live release ever and as you noticed leaves out a ton of other live releases yet somehow includes their best live release ever (GYYYO!).

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 6, 2016 16:50

this reminds me ..

I want to revisit ER, havent heard it for awhile

thumbs up

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 6, 2016 16:53

Hairball
By placing Emotional Rescue at the bottom of the barrel, this writer has instantly lost all credibility...

It was probably a personal dislike, but other than that one mishap , his list is not far off from what I would have listed ... especially the first 8 or 9, although my order might differ a little, and I would never include compilations in my own list.

Date: December 6, 2016 16:53

GasLightStreet
RollingFreak

Like, without question, eh? So clearly otherwise. Then I will speak factually:

THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST is their worst album prior to DIRTY WORK, which is the epitome of what a worst album is. ER is nowhere near as bad as either of those albums.

Satanic gets far worse a rap than it deserves. It really is a solid album, even if you take out some of the good psychedelic songs. Citadel, 2000 Man, She's A Rainbow, The Lantern, 2000 Light Years From Home. Again, its everyone's own opinion. The Stones hate Between The Buttons and its because they are morons and its a great record. They aren't always right. I see no redeeming factors in ER, its a bad album in my eyes. If people like it, good for them, but I also think there are a lot of people (and I see it with many bands) that try to justify anything they put out. Emotional Rescue to me is their most forgettable record from their 81 and back period and its not a question in my mind.

To those that don't like Satanic: your loss. Its a great record.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 16:54 by RollingFreak.

Date: December 6, 2016 17:01

>>The Stones hate Between The Buttons and its because they are morons and its a great record. They aren't always right. I see no redeeming factors in ER, its a bad album in my eyes. <<

when did any of them say they 'hate' between the buttons?

one cannot call the Rolling Stones 'morons'...

why is ER a bad album?

Date: December 6, 2016 17:08

You take out the crap songs on TSMR and you get a... fantastic EP with Citadel, 2000 Man, She's A Rainbow and 2000 Light Years From Home. The rest of the tracks ruin the album. It's not much different than slimming down VOODOO or BRIDGES or BANG - remove the shit tracks and suddenly it's a decent release.

BETWEEN THE BUTTONS is a good album, far too different for some to appreciate what they were doing (and did it well). Their two 1967 albums are possibly the most polarizing albums because they're both imitating things (Dylan, Beatles). BTB showed huge growth, TSMR was a stepping stone to the next phase of growth.

ER has some great tracks on it: the title track, She's So Cold, All About You and Summer Romance. The rest of it, eh, no big deal.

Date: December 6, 2016 17:08

duke richardson
>>The Stones hate Between The Buttons and its because they are morons and its a great record. They aren't always right. I see no redeeming factors in ER, its a bad album in my eyes. <<

why is ER a bad album?

If the quote from Jagger about it being "rubbish" is a myth then I don't have anything on hand, but I've always heard they didn't. I thought Keith hated it too. Fair enough if they've never said they hated it, although I still think they are dumb for not seeing that its a better album than they give it credit for.

Yes I can, for a NUMBER of reasons. And by doing that I can also still like the band. Thats whats great about the world.

I feel it is a forgettable record. I think the songs are lazy and generic, and those are the ones I don't even mind. The best song on there is Down In The Hole which is a gem. The rest are bland, and then there are just plain terrible ones like Dance Pt. 17 or whatever it is. I feel every other record has at least one, but usually two or three tracks that truly stand with the rest of their catalogue and that one doesn't and is the only pre 81 album like that for me.

Date: December 6, 2016 17:12

They sure play LSTNT, Ruby Tuesday and Connection pretty often for hating them.

They played Yesterday's Paper live in 1967 and She Smiled Sweetly was played on the Licks tour, btw.

BTB is an experimental studio album, hence it's hard to re-create on stage. That's probably the main reason for not trying out more numbers.

Date: December 6, 2016 17:12

I personally really like Down In The Hole

and Send It To Me cool smiley

They aren't great but are fun tracks and great sounding.

Date: December 6, 2016 17:16

I REALLY like Dance, She's So Cold, Emotional Rescue, Let Me Go and All About You as well.

And I enjoy Where The Boys Go and Summer Romance immensely.

The album is a guitar player's dream. So much cool stuff's going on thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 17:18 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 6, 2016 17:18

duke richardson

why is ER a bad album?

This might have something to do with it:

I don't like that (album) much... I don't know, it just isn't any good. Back Street Girl is about the only one I like.
- Mick Jagger, 1968

Between The Buttons (is my least favorite Stones album. I didn't like n)one of it. I can't even remember doing it.
- Mick Jagger, 1969

(That album) I never really liked. (Back Street Girl)'s the only decent song. The rest of it is more or less rubbish. (Connection is also) a good one, but other than that it's a terrible album. That's when I started getting otu of the pop thing and leaving all that behind.
- Mick Jagger, 1974

But then Mick seemed to have mellowed a bit later on:

Frank Zappa used to say he really liked it. It's a good record, but it was unfortunately rather spoiled. We recorded it in London on 4-track machines. We bounced it back to do overdubs so many times, we lost the sound of a lot of it... Connection is really nice... My Obsession, that's a good one. They sounded so great, but then, later on, I was really disappointed with it. Isn't Ruby Tuesday on there or something? I don't think the rest of the songs are that brilliant... I don't think I thought they were very good at the time, either.
- Mick Jagger, 1995

[timeisonourside.com]

Their thoughts on TSMR are all over the place.

God knows I love rock and roll. Still, I'd like to see the band experiment more, with form as well as content. Because myself, I like Satanic Majesties...
- Mick Jagger, 1972

It's so unbelievable. It was so weird to make an album and not be on the road that it was totally UNLIKE recording. I liked a few songs, like 2000 Light Years, Citadel and She's a Rainbow, but basically I thought the album was a load of crap. That album was made under the pressure of the court cases and the whole scene that was going on in London at that time.
- Keith Richards, 1979

Even Charlie thought it stunk:

I don't think the songs are as good as a lot of music we did before or after, not by a long way, but that happens. It wasn't one of our great records, although it was a very interesting time. Sometimes you listen back to some music later on that is really quite good and which you've forgotten about - but I don't think that's true of Satanic Majesties.
- Charlie Watts, 2003

Overall, the Stones seem to dislike TSMR more so than BTB.

I probably started to take too many drugs... (I)t's not very good. It had interesting things on it, but I don't think any of the songs are very good. It's a bit like Between The Buttons. It's a sound experience, really, rather than a song experience. There's two good songs on it: She's A Rainbow, which we didn't do on the last tour, although we almost did, and 2000 Light Years from Home, which we did do. The rest of them are nonsense... I think we were just taking too much acid. We were just getting carried away, just thinking anything you did was fun and everyone should listen to it. The whole thing we were on acid... Also, we did it to piss Andrew (Oldham) off, because he was such a pain in the neck. Because he didn't understand it. The more we wanted to unload him, we decided to go on this path to alienate him.
- Mick Jagger, 1995

Their Satanic Majesties Request was a really fun moment, and there were some good songs on it: She's a Rainbow was very pretty. Nicky Hopkins on piano was very much in evidence on that record. 2000 Light Years from Home was a good track; we performed that live quite a lot, but the studio version was actually a bit too long and not focused enough. There's a lot of rubbish on Satanic Majesties. Just too much time on our hands, too many drugs, no producer to tell us, Enough already, thank you very much, now can we just get on with this song? Anyone let loose in the studio will produce stuff like that. There was simply too much hanging around. It's like believing everything you do is great and not having any editing - and Andrew had gone by that point.
- Mick Jagger, 2003

[timeisonourside.com]

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1230
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home