Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: SuperHeavy sucks!
Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: September 20, 2011 20:13

SpanishStone
Rolling Hansie
SpanishStone
100% agree

With what ? smiling smiley

With subject

That's how I felt about "Plundered My Soul The Vocals", and why I have no interest in the rest of the new songs on the Exile reissue.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: September 20, 2011 20:25

crawdaddy
Actually I may be proved wrong.The Mail gave it a very good review. Daily Mail review eye rolling smiley

Christ, it must suck AND swallow.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 20, 2011 21:07

I'm really tired of hearing about Super Heavy. Tired of hearing Stones fans trying to convince themselves and others that it's listenable. I'm being totally objective when I say it is appaling music. As I said before, if this had been produced by an unknown band nobody on here would even give it a 5 minute trial. It's only because it has Jagger in it that you are arguing its case. It's dreadful, cringing, pitiful, desparate, weak and most of all embarrassing. Let's put it to rest and forget about the whole sorry incident. That way Jagger will realise that at this stage in his career it's the Stones or nothing.

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: September 20, 2011 21:14

It would have helped if he got some heavyweights in tje band
These guys are not in the same
League, when I first heard he was going to put together a super group I was thinking of big stars from the 60s or 70s but I never heard of any of these people

Super lightweights.

Feather weights lol

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: September 20, 2011 21:15

Goodbye Stones. Jagger could care less about the Stones. He can't take a joke and wont let Keith live it down. Very selfish guy and not known for his generosity. Fact. I think he might be also a bit jealous of Keith's book. None of Mick's solo endeavours have amounted to much success IMO.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 20, 2011 21:25

Come guys we got The Rolling Stones, we got the Stones Solo and we got the Stones Solo Projects.................take what you like and leave the rest for others......by the way I don't think Super Heavy was released for the 13703 Die Hard Stones fan's out here

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: September 20, 2011 21:26

crumbling_mice
I'm really tired of hearing about Super Heavy. Tired of hearing Stones fans trying to convince themselves and others that it's listenable. I'm being totally objective when I say it is appaling music. As I said before, if this had been produced by an unknown band nobody on here would even give it a 5 minute trial. It's only because it has Jagger in it that you are arguing its case. It's dreadful, cringing, pitiful, desparate, weak and most of all embarrassing. Let's put it to rest and forget about the whole sorry incident. That way Jagger will realise that at this stage in his career it's the Stones or nothing.

Couldn´t agree more!

Date: September 20, 2011 21:27

Midnight Toker
Goodbye Stones. Jagger could care less about the Stones. He can't take a joke and wont let Keith live it down. Very selfish guy and not known for his generosity. Fact. I think he might be also a bit jealous of Keith's book. None of Mick's solo endeavours have amounted to much success IMO.

That´s Sir Jagger, sad but true.

Posted by: kait ()
Date: September 20, 2011 21:28

crumbling_mice
... if this had been produced by an unknown band nobody on here would even give it a 5 minute trial.

that's what i thought about "a bigger bang"

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 20, 2011 21:30

kait
crumbling_mice
... if this had been produced by an unknown band nobody on here would even give it a 5 minute trial.

that's what i thought about "a bigger bang"

Even ABB was marginally better than this. I never thought I'd hear anything as bad with a Stones member in it, let alone Jagger. Keith will be pissing himself at it

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 20, 2011 21:42

SpanishStone
With subject

I understand now. Thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 20, 2011 22:33

JumpinJeppeFlash
lem motlow
i'm from the united states but i have to borrow this great phrase the english have- a storm in a tea cup.
i would suggest that if you dont like micks record instead of getting so upset, just dont buy it. its not gonna make one little bit of difference as far as the rolling stones are concerned.

you'll have a new stones record next year if superheavy sells 10 million or 10 copies.

Really? How do you know that?

and yes,i will bring this up again in 2012 on my multiple threads which will be called-i told you so,i told you to stop worrying,are you happy now? and i was right all along..

why did you put your question inside of the qoute?,i barely noticed it.
anyway,did you ever watch one of those nature shows where a scientist studies a certain species for long periods of time and pretty soon they know the creatures habits?
think of it like this,we spend x amount of time thinking about the stones,talking on the net with other fans etc. imagine how all consuming it would be for a person who is actually in the band.

try to just give up the band,dont listen to the music anymore,dont post on a website,throw all your old books and magazines out and see how that feels-now multiply it by 1000.

Date: September 20, 2011 22:47

lem motlow
JumpinJeppeFlash
lem motlow
i'm from the united states but i have to borrow this great phrase the english have- a storm in a tea cup.
i would suggest that if you dont like micks record instead of getting so upset, just dont buy it. its not gonna make one little bit of difference as far as the rolling stones are concerned.

you'll have a new stones record next year if superheavy sells 10 million or 10 copies.

and yes,i will bring this up again in 2012 on my multiple threads which will be called-i told you so,i told you to stop worrying,are you happy now? and i was right all along..

anyway,did you ever watch one of those nature shows where a scientist studies a certain species for long periods of time and pretty soon they know the creatures habits?
think of it like this,we spend x amount of time thinking about the stones,talking on the net with other fans etc. imagine how all consuming it would be for a person who is actually in the band.

try to just give up the band,dont listen to the music anymore,dont post on a website,throw all your old books and magazines out and see how that feels-now multiply it by 1000.

Ok, and this argumentation makes you certain of a new stones record next year? Makes sense, not.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 20, 2011 23:03

crumbling_mice

.....give me liberty or give me death is apparently lost on you.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 20, 2011 23:12

JumpinJeppeFlash
lem motlow
JumpinJeppeFlash
lem motlow

Ok, and this argumentation makes you certain of a new stones record next year? Makes sense, not.

yeah,they've only been carrying on like this for 50 years,watch and learn junior...

Posted by: wolfi ()
Date: September 20, 2011 23:36

If you can read German:

Wenn alte Männer wie Mick Jagger und Dave Stewart versuchen, so weltgewandt wie die Black Eyed Peas zu sein, dann kommt eine schwerverdauliche All-Star-Gurkentruppe wie SuperHeavy dabei heraus, meint Andreas Borcholte.

Der Spiegel

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 20, 2011 23:39

wolfi
If you can read German:

Wenn alte Männer wie Mick Jagger und Dave Stewart versuchen, so weltgewandt wie die Black Eyed Peas zu sein, dann kommt eine schwerverdauliche All-Star-Gurkentruppe wie SuperHeavy dabei heraus, meint Andreas Borcholte.

Der Spiegel

Who the fvck is Andreas Borcholte ? smoking smiley

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: September 21, 2011 00:02

wolfi
If you can read German:

Der Spiegel

And if you can read this board you would have found this posted only a few minutes before:

HighwireC
RobertJohnson
HighwireC
RobertJohnson
A review in SPIEGEL online, main item: Super Heavy is a boring musical desaster made by "a troop of cucumbers" (Gurkentruppe) what means in German a football team what can't win any match long time. The author ends with the statement that he doesn't know why we all must be tortured again and again when MJ wants to bother Keith.

[www.spiegel.de]

This German magazine used to blame The Rolling Stones playing playback in 1995: [www.spiegel.de]

But apologizing to the band later on for false accusations. They explicitly confirmed that all music was handmade.

I know. And waiting now they will explicitly confirm that SuperHeavy is a very nice and trend setting experiment ... grinning smiley

smoking smiley

Date: September 21, 2011 00:03

shortfatfanny my friend what is this on your logo.................always curious about this

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 21, 2011 00:11

Justin
I picked up the album and I was cringing all the way through it. Mick's vocals are beyond words. I just can't understand this. Is it a coincidence that he's introduced a new singing style during EVERY solo outing he's had?

Goddess In The Doorway
Alfie
Superheavy

Anyone notice this? Whatever Stones work he's done in between these projects, stems off his newly created "voice" that came from whatever solo work he's done. I can barely listen to Superheavy. Sadly, Mick ruins the album for me. I could've really enjoyed this project and I'm totally behind Mick's side interests but his "singing" has marred this album. This isn't a knock on "why can't Mick sing like the 70's?" He makes a CHOICE to sing this way...his voice is still very strong but he seems to redirect the power of the voice these days...it's not coming from the lungs anymore.

Ugh. These vocals on the "Some Girls' outtakes? Just great.

I shudder at the thought of those SG 'outtakes' if Jagger is indeed using the voice he uses on songs like "Never Going to Change" and "I Don't Mind"...
I've only listened to those two songs because they seem to be the only ones where he is prominent.
Justin, it's not just the voice, but the lyrics. Trite, sophomorish, dumb.
I love Mick too and root for him against all the naysayers, but this?
'Plundered My Soul" proved that he still can still sing with raw passion and urgency and write lyrics with real depth. That song had real a resonance...
yet on the SH songs, Jagger is doing the 'She's the Boss', 'Primitive Cool' and 'Goddess in the Doorway' thing: the strangled cat intonations, the insipid, unsinspired lyrics etc...
You are correct, it's not about his age, or weakened vocal power - it's his choice to sing like this. Or maybe its just the way he sounds when he's trying to hard, faking it.....whatever.
Personally, I think its Stewart's fault.
I really mean that. Stewart's easiness hardly challenges Mick as an artist, and his pretentions ("The idea just came to me....'why not make a record with 20 different genres because no one has ever done that before'..?) bring out Jagger's own pretentions.
Sorry, listening to these two new songs was painful for me.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: September 21, 2011 00:15

I tried listen the album. But I didn´t have patience. Sorry. I will try again later. But now was impossible for me.

But I am very anxious to listen the New Some Girls and the Fort Worth official release. smileys with beer

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 21, 2011 00:19

stupidguy2
I love Mick too and root for him against all the naysayers, but this? ...
on the SH songs, Jagger is doing the 'She's the Boss', 'Primitive Cool' and 'Goddess in the Doorway' thing: the strangled cat intonations, the insipid, unsinspired lyrics etc...
You are correct, it's not about his age, or weakened vocal power - it's his choice to sing like this. Or maybe its just the way he sounds when he's trying to hard, faking it.....whatever.
I really mean that. Stewart's easiness hardly challenges Mick as an artist, and his pretentions ("The idea just came to me....'why not make a record with 20 different genres because no one has ever done that before'..?) bring out Jagger's own pretentions.

Agree 100%. Any Jagger work that Stewart touches turns to utter shite, IMO.

Drew

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 21, 2011 00:26

NICOS
shortfatfanny my friend what is this on your logo.................always curious about this

NICOS,eagle eye ,it´s the head of a little, nice wooden doll...my first logo.
Someone here was afraid of it and asked me to remove it...I did him a favour and patched it on my ticket stub from ´82.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 21, 2011 00:41

stupidguy2
Justin
I picked up the album and I was cringing all the way through it. Mick's vocals are beyond words. I just can't understand this. Is it a coincidence that he's introduced a new singing style during EVERY solo outing he's had?

Goddess In The Doorway
Alfie
Superheavy

Anyone notice this? Whatever Stones work he's done in between these projects, stems off his newly created "voice" that came from whatever solo work he's done. I can barely listen to Superheavy. Sadly, Mick ruins the album for me. I could've really enjoyed this project and I'm totally behind Mick's side interests but his "singing" has marred this album. This isn't a knock on "why can't Mick sing like the 70's?" He makes a CHOICE to sing this way...his voice is still very strong but he seems to redirect the power of the voice these days...it's not coming from the lungs anymore.

I shudder at the thought of those SG 'outtakes' if Jagger is indeed using the voice he uses on songs like "Never Going to Change" and "I Don't Mind"...
I've only listened to those two songs because they seem to be the only ones where he is prominent.
'Plundered My Soul" proved that he still can still sing with raw passion and urgency and write lyrics with real depth. That song had real a resonance...
yet on the SH songs, Jagger is doing the 'She's the Boss', 'Primitive Cool' and 'Goddess in the Doorway' thing: the strangled cat intonations, the insipid, unsinspired lyrics etc...

I hear these vocal lines and melodies and each one drips of a melody that Jagger has sung before. That bluesy tail he adds to the end of lines is everywhere on this album. And like you said, yes the lyrics are elementary.

The sad part is....it's these side-projects that I hope to see the real Mick. If the Stones aren't his preferred window for creativity these days then let's see what you got, Mick. These side projects should be a projection of what he really wants to do..what he really wants to say...how he really wants to groove. But THIS is what we get?? That's all?

As mentioned, the more Mick gets his way---completely unchallenged...the more we can expect material of this calibre. Considering I don't see things changing any time soon...I don't expect any new Stones music to be any better than ABB, or B2B or VL. If anything, this now proves why the writing has suffered so much with the Stones. You leave the lyrics to a guy who's now writing lines like "Sharks will cry" and "Hey hey, you got me rocking now" or "Hey I need your energy."...what do you really expect?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 21, 2011 00:59

Gazza
Come On
even if i will not listen to Super Heavy, it feels embarrassing that my hero Mick Jagger lend his name to something that completly lightweighted ...

Idolising people is ill-advised. Its not Mick's problem that you're embarrassed. Its yours for elevating him to some absurd level to begin with.

Gazza, you're on fire at the moment. Utd making you smile?

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 21, 2011 01:03

Lightnin'
I haven't heard the album yet but I'm actually a bit shocked by the tone of the reviews.

This one is from the London Evening Standard of Friday 16 September.
The CD is still awarded 2 stars, which seems generous after getting described as "a very wonky table". This journalist even calls the duet between MJ and Joss Stone in 'Beautiful People' an "unbearable row".

SUPERHEAVY
SuperHeavy (Atlantic)
This collaborative affair was seemingly constructed in the same way a politically correct marketing firm would cast a crisp advert. It brings together reggae's Damian Marley, Joss Stone, Dave Stewart, Mick Jagger and, most improbably, Bollywood composer AR Rahman. They all bring something to what amounts to a very wonky table. Reggae is the dominant style, meaning that Marley acquits himself well on tracks such as the catchy Miracle Worker while the others strain to fit. Jagger sings throughout like a comedian doing a hilariously exaggerated impersonation of himself, and when he and Stone have a howling duel near the end of Beautiful People it really is an unbearable row. From the naff band name down, there's nothing super here.

DAVID SMYTH

I don't think we can expect a SH tour after reading those reviews... Next chapter please

Date: September 21, 2011 01:07

Justin
stupidguy2
Justin

Goddess In The Doorway
Alfie
Superheavy

I hear these vocal lines and melodies and each one drips of a melody that Jagger has sung before. That bluesy tail he adds to the end of lines is everywhere on this album. And like you said, yes the lyrics are elementary.

The sad part is....it's these side-projects that I hope to see the real Mick. If the Stones aren't his preferred window for creativity these days then let's see what you got, Mick. These side projects should be a projection of what he really wants to do..what he really wants to say...how he really wants to groove. But THIS is what we get?? That's all?

As mentioned, the more Mick gets his way---completely unchallenged...the more we can expect material of this calibre. Considering I don't see things changing any time soon...I don't expect any new Stones music to be any better than ABB, or B2B or VL. If anything, this now proves why the writing has suffered so much with the Stones. You leave the lyrics to a guy who's now writing lines like "Sharks will cry" and "Hey hey, you got me rocking now" or "Hey I need your energy."...what do you really expect?

I was thinking the same thing last night after listening to these two songs: if this is all Mick has got left in him, then I'd rather he just retire a country gentleman and open the vaults.
I agree. I also want to see the real Mick in these side projects. In the early 70s, he was doing stuff with Lennon, Dr. John, Leslie West, even Carly Simon. He seemed to be having fun outside the Stones.
I want to see that now. I have no doubt he had fun with this project, and far be it for me to judge what the man wants to do or who he wants to work with.
He can do whatever he wants and he's earned that.
But as a Stones fan, and as someone who respects Jagger, believes he is an unerrated artists overshadowed by his persona, I want him to be a bad-ass and I don't mean that in a Rock Star context. A bad-ass to me is an artist who keeps growing, evolving.
The problem with the SH project, and this does give me some hope, is that it was a project instigated by Stewart...and Jagger went along for the ride, nothing more, nothing less.
After I listened to the SH songs online, I got in my car and put Adele back in my player. This is good music. It's not about being trendy, trying to be hip or whatever. This is not a new concept on Stones boards, but Jagger really does need to work with someone who will bring out something authentic musically and lyrically. Joss Stones is as safe and bland as Stewart. Can you imagine Jagger working with someone like PJ Harvey? Or the Black Keys. Or Jack White?
Again, its not about youth, or trends, but a real artist who can mine Jagger's true gifts.
It is sad if all he can get excited about is working with Dave Stewart.

Date: September 21, 2011 01:12

Silver Dagger
Gazza
Come On
even if i will not listen to Super Heavy, it feels embarrassing that my hero Mick Jagger lend his name to something that completly lightweighted ...

Idolising people is ill-advised. Its not Mick's problem that you're embarrassed. Its yours for elevating him to some absurd level to begin with.

Gazza, you're on fire at the moment. Utd making you smile?

But its not about "idolizing",
its about wanting more from a great artist.
Its about respect. Being dissapointed by SH does not suggest that one is some idol-worshipping idiot who lives for Mick Jagger's next step. I listen to good music from many different artists, old and young. Glen Campbell just released a well-recieved cd featuring songs written by Paul Westerberg. It sounds real.
By contrast, SH is pretentious and yes, lame.

Date: September 21, 2011 01:24

shortfatfanny
NICOS

NICOS,eagle eye ,it´s the head of a little, nice wooden doll...my first logo.
Someone here was afraid of it and asked me to remove it...I did him a favour and patched it on my ticket stub from ´82.

Thanks for clearing this out grinning smiley yes I do remember your previous logo confused smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 21, 2011 01:29

shortfatfanny

my first logo.

Yes, I remember that one. Very funny

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

This Thread has been closed

Online Users