Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bigger Bang Tour "Rarities" (19th Nervous Breakdown...Brown Sugar Rehearsal)
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 15, 2011 09:34

Cleaning through my old external hard drive and I came across some goodies I saved when the Bigger Bang tour was gearing up. Haven't seen them on YouTube so I thought I'd upload what I had. Bigger Bang wasn't their best tour, as we all know, but the first few weeks of the tour gave us some nice moments.

The most special item to me is the rehearsal of Brown Sugar in preparatin for the Academy performance for their press conference. Rarely do we get to see the Stones this stripped down. Good, rough sound...you can hear everyone nicely.

Secondly, thought I'd upload the mp3 of the only other time they played their new version of "19th Nervous Breakdown" aside from the Phoenix club gig. Here's when they did it in MSG. It was the last ballsy thing they did as a band, in my book. And it's a cool track.

And a select few others I found that weren't online. Hope some can enjoy!

Re: Bigger Bang Tour "Rarities" (19th Nervous Breakdown...Brown Sugar Rehearsal)
Posted by: jjsteve ()
Date: September 15, 2011 11:25

that brown sugar is awesome - it's amazing how much better they sound with chuck's lame piano playing and it's just their guitars

Re: Bigger Bang Tour "Rarities" (19th Nervous Breakdown...Brown Sugar Rehearsal)
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 15, 2011 13:12

Keith screws up the F chord on the intro ....geeeez.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-15 13:14 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: September 15, 2011 14:33

jjsteve
that brown sugar is awesome - it's amazing how much better they sound with chuck's lame piano playing and it's just their guitars

Without? winking smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 15, 2011 14:44

Brilliant singing on Brown Sugar Mick checking out his guys....was it Keith messin with the rhythm on 'Shattered'?? smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Turner ()
Date: September 15, 2011 16:19

I quite enjoyed that lazy bones version of 19th nervous breakdown, is there a SB version anyone can share??

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: September 15, 2011 16:32

Damn, opening night at Fenway was really good. Too bad they didn't release this instead of Austin. Historic venue - would have been great.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 15, 2011 17:43

Sorry, I can't join in the common praise here. Back Of My Hand live is good, it shows that the Stones are still capable of coming up with great live arrangements totally different from the studio versions (anyone remembers YaYas?). However, 19th Nervous Breakdown is not a good example for this. It's different, of course, but lame as a duck and it sounds empty and soulless, even amateurish. And the bare-bones Brown Sugar rehearsal shows why they need this huge backing orchestra nowadays. 'nuff said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-15 17:44 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 15, 2011 17:58

"19th Nervous breakdown" clearly shows how the rebellous, energetic, vital young attitude stuff in their twenties is totally out of their reach 'nowadays', and they don't have anything than a lame lazy ass Vegas attitude to substitute. The guitars do not have any point. Just awful out of tune noodling and lazy licking here and there (there is not even the basic riff, really...) Back in the seventies they could have made a killer version of the song just by their guitar-driven sound and kick-ass tightness but this is just... horrible.

- Doxa

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 15, 2011 18:09

Yeyyyyy, Doxa managed to slip another 'Vegas' comment in again.....

Date: September 15, 2011 18:16

But I do I like the version of "Back of My Hand"... especially when Mick asks Ronnie to come up, and the songs almost starts to fly... then The Stones start to sound like a nasty guitar-driven band.

- Doxa

Date: September 15, 2011 18:17

ablett
Yeyyyyy, Doxa managed to slip another 'Vegas' comment in again.....

It is the question of word economy... with just one word one can express so much that would otherwise need too much words to repeat again and again. Besidess, the very term belongs to teh IORR folklore...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-15 18:19 by Doxa.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 15, 2011 18:48

19th Nervous Breakdown is NOT even identifiable the way they play it there. Didn't they do that to another song, dumbed and slowed it way down to being a simple crapshoot through a blues progression, with Mick barely singing the melody? Maybe Get Off My Cloud?

Why does Mick bother to even "sing" during those rehearsals? That Brown Sugar, as good as it sounds so dumpy and raw and hilariously horrendous, is a waste of time - sounds like he's holding his nose the entire time. What the hell is with that?

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 15, 2011 18:53

jjsteve

You meant without ....am I wrong ?

Justin :smileys with beer thanks for posting it .
I am not a musician myself but yes, it seems something goes "wrong" with Keith at his very first notes on guitar ,and IMO that Brown Sugar doesn't sound as " wild" it could be ,but hey,it was just a rehearsal , I know .

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: September 15, 2011 19:09

Personally I dig the Brown Sugar. Thanks for posting it. It's not a great performance, but it IS just a rehearsal and probably the first time they'd played together in 2 years. Charlie's especially good.

Date: September 15, 2011 19:38

Charlie does sound especially nice on that Brown Sugar. This coming out of his throat cancer treatments...and he's sounding as great as ever.

I applaud their effort to redesign 19th Nervous Breakdown...as awkward as the track may sound. It finds some kind of groove but still holds water, in my book. From the small clips I heard of the Phoenix version...that seemed to be a bit more cohesive...good guitars, I recall too.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 15, 2011 19:49

I'm just LMAO at Keith's gut in the Brown Sugar rehearsal. Time to lay off the Shepherd pies.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 15, 2011 20:18

Now this is a rehersal - MT and Keith Rehersing GS - 1972

Posted by: goinhome ()
Date: September 15, 2011 20:23

The 19th Nervous Breakdown reminds me a lot of the way they played 2000 Light Years in '89/'90.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-15 20:33 by goinhome.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 15, 2011 23:34

thanks for the brown sugar rehearsal. winking smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 16, 2011 12:52

"Now this is a rehersal - MT and Keith Rehersing GS - 1972"

Yeah superb for a 33 year old clip.....

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: September 16, 2011 13:44

More Hot Rocks
Keith screws up the F chord on the intro ....geeeez.

Just who exactly is playing the intro or is the video out of sync?

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: September 16, 2011 14:59

Thanks for these. I liked 19th nervous - my absolute favorite parts of the show for the last few tours is where they dust stuff like that off - Ruby Tuesday, Play With Fire in '89, Heart of Stone in Toronto 2002, As Tears Go By in Shine A Light...

I'd like to hear a nice live version of She's a Rainbow someday.

Justin
Cleaning through my old external hard drive and I came across some goodies I saved when the Bigger Bang tour was gearing up. Haven't seen them on YouTube so I thought I'd upload what I had. Bigger Bang wasn't their best tour, as we all know, but the first few weeks of the tour gave us some nice moments.

The most special item to me is the rehearsal of Brown Sugar in preparatin for the Academy performance for their press conference. Rarely do we get to see the Stones this stripped down. Good, rough sound...you can hear everyone nicely.

Secondly, thought I'd upload the mp3 of the only other time they played their new version of "19th Nervous Breakdown" aside from the Phoenix club gig. Here's when they did it in MSG. It was the last ballsy thing they did as a band, in my book. And it's a cool track.

And a select few others I found that weren't online. Hope some can enjoy!

Posted by: cookwazzahoe ()
Date: September 16, 2011 15:57

Well, I was at the MSG show where they did 19thNB and I thought it was great! Always one of my top 5 Stones tunes, it was fun that they even tried to play it in a different way. What I will agree on is the fact that the MSG audience seemed 50/50 about the song.
There were those of us that got it
Then there were the others, who just wanted to hear the familiar war-horse versions
Again....

Posted by: varv ()
Date: September 16, 2011 16:10

Thanks Justin.

Brown Sugar-Now that's The Rolling Stones!Just goes to show why the Stones DON'T need this huge backing orchestra nowadays.

19th Nervous Breakdown-Nice groove,just good fun. More like Chicago than Vegas.

Back Of My Hand-Mick's vocals are great on this version. Mick,Keith,and Ronnie's guitars are smokin' and Charlie lays down an authentic blues beat that ties it all together.The Muddy Waters Band-The Next Generation.

Shattered-Mick really sharp,leading the band through the changes which everyone gets right on this one,although Keith is a little too loose at times. Mick looking very youthful and seems to be genuinely enjoying himself.

Rough Justice-Hell yes! I'm playing this over and over again.Guitar driven Stones with Charlie in charge of the engine room while Mick works the crowd.

Keep it coming Justin. Great stuff. I didn't intend to play music critic here,it just kinda happened.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 16, 2011 20:28

cookwazzahoe
Well, I was at the MSG show where they did 19thNB and I thought it was great! Always one of my top 5 Stones tunes, it was fun that they even tried to play it in a different way. What I will agree on is the fact that the MSG audience seemed 50/50 about the song.
There were those of us that got it
Then there were the others, who just wanted to hear the familiar war-horse versions
Again....

You got me completely wrong. I'm not into "just wanting to hear the familiar war-horse versions". Thing is - different is not always better.

Get Yer Ya Ya's Out is full of "different" versions compared to the studio originals - and they are all great. The version of It's All Over Now which they did für Sunday Night At The London Palladium in 1967 - totally different arrangement, but great nonetheless. Dylan is a wizard when it comes to re-arranging his songs on stage - but while I love many of them, some even better than the studio originals, there's still more than a handful of stinkers.

It's all down to personal taste, of course, and I for one agree with Doxa that this new 19th Nervous Breakdown is simply horrible.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: September 16, 2011 20:47

That's a great 'Brown Sugar'...never get tired of it, don't we.

Just for the record...Is he singing "scarred ol' slaver" or "skydog slaver"...I can't tell!

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: September 16, 2011 21:52

What does it say about someone when they have to counter a perfectly wonderful series of posts like these with immediate comparisons to '72/'73? The attitude behind, "Now THAT's a rehearsal" is puzzling. Where does it come from, this constant need to assert your opinion as the only one with any validity? Especially when the original post is completely non-confrontational. I mean, how on earth does watching the Stones rehearse in 2005 lead someone to immediately compare it to '72/'73? There seems to be a sense of helplessness and anger behind it, as if the very existence of any footage of the band beyond '72/'73 is viewed as an insult. How sad.

Thanks for the original posts. Good stuff. I had never seen the Brown Sugar footage before, really cool to see.

Date: September 16, 2011 22:10

Thanks, verymontoffender. I agree with your post as I was also a bit perplexed when the 72 comparison was made. What makes the Brown Sugar clip so special is that we almost never see rehearsal footage of the band...so this clip really falls under "that's cool" category. I personally think they sound alright. As I said, it's a rarity to have the band so minimized and individually heard/mixed so distinctly...that's what struck me most about the video.

I'm glad some got to enjoy the videos. My most favorite moments of a tour are usually the first few weeks. There is something about their sound that is unpolished and still so raw during their early outings. I always thought that although they get smoother as the tour progressed...the sound got more and more dull. It's been this case, in my opinion, for the last few tours..

The new "19th Nervous Breakdown" seems to be a controversial topic. I thought it'd be useful to finally put it up. It's nowhere online and it's worth putting up to display quite a bold move on the Stones' part...regardless if the results meet our standards.

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: September 16, 2011 23:30

I had heard it a few times before. I find the difference between it and the '97 versions to be pretty fascinating. Again, thank you for posting it. I wish they would give different versions of classics more of a chance live. It seems as if they drop stuff almost immediately if it doesn't get a positive response either from the audience or from critics. They seem oddly sensitive about it. I mean, if you're going to be on tour for 2 years, give the new arrangements time to breathe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home