Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
29 year old poster
Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: September 11, 2011 23:47

29 year old poster

I´m a fan for allmost 30 years. It all began with that music cassette, a copy of “Rolled Gold“, my sister gave me on Christmas 1981. Soon I bought Tattou You and Some Girls; I loved the old and the “new “ stuff..

In October 1982 I was on a 2-week-class-trip in Scotland. We were 30 boy and girls, most of us 18 years old. I was the only Stones fan, but our “tour bus“ had a great sound sytsem and from time to time I played my copy of Still Life on it.

During the 2-week-trip, “Still Life“ became the soundtrack of our journey. My class mates loved “Time Is on my Side“ and the guitar intro of UMT.

Finally, we stayed 3 or 4 days in Edinburgh and there I bought a poster, showing “Keith Richard“ (without an “s“) on stage. We had two teachers with us, one of them said “what a waste of money“ - but I didn´t care. Keith was my hero!!

Back home, near Cologne, I fixed the poster on the door of my bedroom in my parents house. 29 years ago!

Most of the time, the door was wide open, so the poster was hidden between door and wall. In 1984 I left my parents house; in 1990 I saw the Stones for the first time live on stage. But the poster was long forgotten.

My Dad died in October 1997, the organ intro of “Saint Of Me“ makes me think of him. Last year my Mum, 82 years old, left the house and moved to my sister.

Now the house is empty, but last week I was there and by chance – I noticed the old poster. Still on the same place, same door. And I took a pic.

Now there are some questions left:

Which year was the pic taken?

Which tour?

Maybe which date/concert?

Thanks & best wishes from Germany!

Priest

Re: 29 year old poster
Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: September 11, 2011 23:50

Is it for sale?

I would say that this pic is taken 1978 on the SG tour or maybe 1979 during New Barbarians tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-11 23:54 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 11, 2011 23:51

Wow, that Scotch tape holds up well! grinning smiley

Cool, Priest! Thanks!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 11, 2011 23:54

Great story VP.............just rolled up and send it to me........then I will tell you when it was taken

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-12 00:06 by NICOS.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: September 11, 2011 23:55

Hey, I have that poster, too. It always took pride of place whenever I moved and decorated a new place in my twenties. I've thought about it before and I'm thinking that pic is from '78 or '79 with the New Barbarians, though I could very well be wrong. I'm basing that on the Tele Keith's playing and his look in general. I bet Mathijs could give you a definitive answer.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: September 11, 2011 23:57

Must be 78 or 79 since the black tele custom has got a black switch, the early ones had a white switch.

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: September 12, 2011 00:03

great story

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 12, 2011 00:17

I'm gonna go with New Barbarians but its difficult to say for sure
That overcoat is all over my New Barbarians pictures and I can't find it in any of my SG pictures.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: September 12, 2011 01:57

Lovely Story, heartfelt sentiments to you. I am from Edinburgh,if you are ever in town email me

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: September 12, 2011 02:15

I've got that poster too, bought it on holiday in Spain in 1982.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 12, 2011 03:00

Love this story and how these posters survived.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 13, 2011 15:37

Great story about finding that poster right where you left it so many years ago. This might sound strange, but last time I visited my old home town, I stood outside the house where my best friend used to live, and I had the oddest feeling that if I went up and knocked on the door, his mother would open it and say "Ralphie's up in his room", and I'd go up there, and he'd be there, and everything would be exactly the way it was in 1973. He'd be watching professional wrestling on a tiny black and white television, and "Houses Of The Holy" would be on the turntable. Sick, huh?

Date: September 13, 2011 15:43

Because of Keith's hairdo I'd say 1978.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 13, 2011 15:48

DandelionPowderman
Because of Keith's hairdo I'd say 1978.

Could it be even earlier? 75 or 76? When did he start wearing the handcuff bracelet?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 13, 2011 15:59

JumpinJeppeFlash
Must be 78 or 79 since the black tele custom has got a black switch, the early ones had a white switch.

The black switch is not original. This is the same Custom as he used in '76 and '76, and apparently the switch had come off and needed replacement.

I'd say this is '78.

Mathijs

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 13, 2011 16:08

Keith Richards performing with the New Barbarians, Madison Square Garden, New York City, 1979
Photo by Ebet Roberts

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 13, 2011 22:19

that is a great story.its funny how for many of us the band has been intertwined with our lives for so many years that these little things happen from time to time.

that great poster you have is a picture from the 1978 tour,given its history i think i would seriously consider having it framed.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 13, 2011 22:29

Virgin Priest
I noticed the old poster. Still on the same place, same door.

What a wonderful story. Sorry I can't help you with your questions.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 13, 2011 22:33

tatters
Sick, huh?

Absolutely not. Just great that you have those feelings about your past. Cherish them, they are precious.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 13, 2011 23:21

I used to have the same poster, don't know what happened to mine, but wished I'd looked after it, I love it. Thanks for sharing your story/

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: February 1, 2013 12:50

Keith's face is very different by October 1978 then even the summer 1978 tour. Top photo is 1978 for sure.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 1, 2013 12:51

....most IORR posters are well over 29 .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 1, 2013 13:51

Rockman
....most IORR posters are well over 29 .....

I thought you were 29 too when I first looked at the title thread, but I wasn't going to say it...great story Virgin Priest, thanks for sharing.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 1, 2013 17:13

tatters
Great story about finding that poster right where you left it so many years ago. This might sound strange, but last time I visited my old home town, I stood outside the house where my best friend used to live, and I had the oddest feeling that if I went up and knocked on the door, his mother would open it and say "Ralphie's up in his room", and I'd go up there, and he'd be there, and everything would be exactly the way it was in 1973. He'd be watching professional wrestling on a tiny black and white television, and "Houses Of The Holy" would be on the turntable. Sick, huh?

LOL - You should of done it. Hopefully, you would not find him down in the basement with his n & s

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: February 1, 2013 18:27

Great poster, indeed!
I got in Great Britain in 1980. Only two posters, as far as I know, from the New Barbarians tour: this one and another horizontal one with Keith and Ron (yellow shirt) sharing the same microphone.
This latter one has a thin red border. I've had them on the wall for a very long time. Now they're carefully rolled and art part of my poster collection.
Thanks for bringing me back to those great years,
Luca

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 1, 2013 18:37

What does the rest of the fine print at the bottom say?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 1, 2013 18:57

Great story!

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: February 1, 2013 19:08

I had that same poster on my wall when I was in high school. So nice to see it again!! Brings back memories of my parents screaming at me to clean my room, but I couldn't because I was too busy listening to my records.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 1, 2013 19:17

NoCode0680
What does the rest of the fine print at the bottom say?

Something to the effect of:

Keef Riff Hard officially advocates the use of alcoholic beverages in the creation of pure rock n roll. Any use of moderation is purely unintentional and will be dealt with swiftly.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 2, 2013 03:00

I think it's '78. I don't recall him wearing jeans at any Barbarian shows.
And at the '79 shows his hair was a bit longer (wilder) and his face fuller.
And that black jacket is definitely '78, to me.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2066
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home