Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
CYHMK - Glastonbury
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: September 19, 2016 03:00

Okay, I am sure ALL of you have scene this already, but it blows my mind that I haven't. In fact, I only found it today by accident. Anyway, what a great performance of this song. I especially love how Mick interacts with everyone during Taylor's solo, even dancing behind Charlie.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: CYHMK - Glastonbury
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 19, 2016 03:30

well if you like that there's more where that came from...

Date: September 19, 2016 04:13

Yeah, I know - I just honestly never watched a single Glastonbury video, even though I knew they existed. I haven't been keeping up with the band like I used to, though once in a while I still need a "fix".

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 19, 2016 07:21

OMG what to say
Of course Mick Taylor blows my mind, Bobby Keys
but
Charlie Watt.
Can we please after 50 years
see more of Charlie Watt?
Thank you Best Buy DVD's Licks Tour
Select a Stone
just about fell out and off my treadmill
with that galldarn feature
seeing Charlie here CYHMK
He is THE guy but such a secret
Thanks for posting

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 19, 2016 10:05

I was there and it was the finest Stones concert I have seen since the 70s. Brixton and Shepherds Bush were great but the sense of occasion and expectation at this magical festival was immense and the Stones lived up to it in every way.

It kind of reminded me of how they changed their set around a bit at Knebworth - no one could second guess that they would drop in 2000 Light Years From Home or play that funny version of Factory Girl/Glastonbury Girl. Mick Taylor absolutely shone and the whole band interacted as if their lives depended on it.

It wasn't an ordinary Stones tour gig - it was beyond that. Totally magical.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 19, 2016 13:45

A truly momentous and super wonderfull evening of the worlds greatest plying there trade .One of there finer shows of the 50 and counting !

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 19, 2016 14:07

Silver Dagger
I was there and it was the finest Stones concert I have seen since the 70s. Brixton and Shepherds Bush were great but the sense of occasion and expectation at this magical festival was immense and the Stones lived up to it in every way.

It kind of reminded me of how they changed their set around a bit at Knebworth - no one could second guess that they would drop in 2000 Light Years From Home or play that funny version of Factory Girl/Glastonbury Girl. Mick Taylor absolutely shone and the whole band interacted as if their lives depended on it.

And not to forget the Stones enjoyed the gig themselves...............

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 19, 2016 17:43

Silver Dagger

smileys with beer
If we live long enough we'll see if it will be considered a late-era classic by future standards.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: September 19, 2016 21:40

Silver Dagger

Absolutely spot on...... I wasn't there but I've watched it loads of times, and it still gives me goose bumps. It genuinely was a truly special occasion, made even better by the magical event that is the Glastonbury Festival......

Possibly the finest Stones concert of the noughties!

I hope they get to do it again before they call it a day!

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: September 19, 2016 22:16

Stellar
Mick T. rules... Not a a way of speaking... He controls the timing

Date: September 20, 2016 02:55

I ended up watching nearly the entire thing last night. I can't believe I never bothered to before, because what a performance! Everybody tight and in control, this was the true Rolling Stones. I am shocked it never got an official release.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 20, 2016 08:37

theimposter
I ended up watching nearly the entire thing last night. I can't believe I never bothered to before, because what a performance! Everybody tight and in control, this was the true Rolling Stones. I am shocked it never got an official release.

Contractual/rights issues with the Festival perhaps? But I agree, it's a pity.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 20, 2016 11:53

The bootleg DVD is a thing to treasure. And it's made even more interesting by the fact that the transmission was somehow lifted from the BBC by some cunning pirate who hacked into their files. God knows how this was done but hats off as we got the complete show, when only the 2nd half was actually broadcast.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 20, 2016 12:26

The pirate was an employee of the BBC, I guess.

CYHMK at Glastonbury was good, but imo a even better almost stellar version can be found on Sticky Fingers Live.

Good to have the Glastonbury show anyway.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 20, 2016 12:30

Glastonbury was indeed a great concert. Only real glitch was Mick struggling to find his melody notes at the start of 2000 Lights Years...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 20, 2016 13:22

HMS

CYHMK at Glastonbury was good, but imo a even better almost stellar version can be found on Sticky Fingers Live.

Sticky Fingers live does not have Mick Taylor

Date: September 20, 2016 13:47

TheGreek
Sticky Fingers live does not have Mick Taylor

One mouth less to feedsmoking smiley

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: September 20, 2016 16:28

HMS

HMS, I'm beginning to wonder if you just perceive things differently than just about everybody, or if you think ALWAYS going against conventional wisdom somehow makes you cooler than the rest of us. The Fonda version of CYHMK is great! Ronnie does an admirable job, as does the sax player, who kind of bails Ronnie out at the end of the jam.

BUT...the Glastonbury version is epic! MT's solo adheres to his original theme, while at the same time offering just enough new, improvised phrases to take this classic jam to the fringes. And...you have Bobby Keys, nailing it as well!! This is just one Bill Wyman short of the original lineup that broke into this one-take (supposedly) masterpiece studio jam in the first place. CYHMK at Glastonbury is one of my all-time favorite live Stones recordings, all of the magic is there. (insert IMO disclaimer here!)

I really enjoy Sticky Fingers Live, but I often wonder what it would have sounded like if they had done it when they could have had Wyman, Taylor and Bobby Keys all on the same stage!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-20 16:35 by Ross.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 20, 2016 17:12

Ross
HMS

HMS, I'm beginning to wonder if you just perceive things differently than just about everybody, or if you think ALWAYS going against conventional wisdom somehow makes you cooler than the rest of us. The Fonda version of CYHMK is great! Ronnie does an admirable job, as does the sax player, who kind of bails Ronnie out at the end of the jam.

BUT...the Glastonbury version is epic! MT's solo adheres to his original theme, while at the same time offering just enough new, improvised phrases to take this classic jam to the fringes. And...you have Bobby Keys, nailing it as well!! This is just one Bill Wyman short of the original lineup that broke into this one-take (supposedly) masterpiece studio jam in the first place. CYHMK at Glastonbury is one of my all-time favorite live Stones recordings, all of the magic is there. (insert IMO disclaimer here!)

I really enjoy Sticky Fingers Live, but I often wonder what it would have sounded like if they had done it when they could have had Wyman, Taylor and Bobby Keys all on the same stage!

HMS likes bad music. Bad albums. Can't tell the difference between Bill Wyman and Darryl Jones. Of course he thinks Mick Taylor sucks.

The real question is: how in hell can you be "beginning to wonder"? HMS is obdurate and, posing as a Stones fan aside, is ossified: the epitome of a troll.

No serious and true Stones fan in their right mind thinks their worst album is "great" (the equivalent of someone wanting fruitcake for christmas) and that one of their greatest albums is 6th best or not very good and that Bobby Keys sucks and on and on and on. Even a Ron Wood fan can recognize that, as well as he may have played the CYHMK solo at any show, it's just not very good. Ronnie's not suited for that kind of soloing. If it was 1975 maybe he could play it better since he was much better then.

Date: September 20, 2016 17:21

That performance of 2000 Light Years is pretty bad.

The end of CYHMK has this odd counter time to it - because Taylor is playing ahead of everyone else on that last bit. They're out of sync! Weird. That song has such a pocket, it seems it would be impossible to not be in time with it.

Date: September 20, 2016 17:25

GasLightStreet
Ross
HMS

HMS likes bad music. Bad albums. Can't tell the difference between Bill Wyman and Darryl Jones. Of course he thinks Mick Taylor sucks.

The real question is: how in hell can you be "beginning to wonder"? HMS is obdurate and, posing as a Stones fan aside, is ossified: the epitome of a troll.

No serious and true Stones fan in their right mind thinks their worst album is "great" (the equivalent of someone wanting fruitcake for christmas) and that one of their greatest albums is 6th best or not very good and that Bobby Keys sucks and on and on and on. Even a Ron Wood fan can recognize that, as well as he may have played the CYHMK solo at any show, it's just not very good. Ronnie's not suited for that kind of soloing. If it was 1975 maybe he could play it better since he was much better then.

Just thought the dude had bad taste, which he is certainly entitled to have! It's just so frequent and predictable, it seems more and more like it's intentional.

Date: September 20, 2016 17:32

I'm not sure if preferring the SF Live CYHMK to the Glasto-version is against conventional wisdom smiling smiley After all, Mick sang it better, and the band played somewhat better at the Fonda, imo.

However, in many other cases I agree with you, Ross.

PS: For latter-day Taylor-versions of CYHMK, I still think the first one he did (Philly?) was the best. It was more playful, and not as limited to the latino/jazz-approach that he gradually developed in 2013.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: September 20, 2016 17:33

Yikes... Always fun to watch MT with the Stones, but this version is a bit of a mess! The band is playing faster than Charlie's tempo for the first 3 minutes, and they miss the break (Mick yells "here we go!" to cue everyone, but it's just a tad late), then there is clearly an overlap of BK's solo into MT's solo that looks super awkward. Toward the end of MT's lovely solo he is trying to get Keith's attention, and everybody's, and finally has to turn completely arround to cue everyone about the ending. I'm not typically a dweller of the negative, but while every MT appearance on that tour was special, ooh, this one is a little tough for me to watch! It all just seems startlingly unrehearsed and not very tight. I apologize for the criticism among so much praise-- Don't get me wrong, I loved this tour and the shows I saw in Boston... but weren't there much better, tighter versions of CYHMK than this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-20 18:50 by Tate.

Date: September 20, 2016 17:36

Yes. There were. Your observation is spot on, too. It is rather messy. Why they don't do the intro properly is a bit odd as well.

Date: September 20, 2016 17:36

It's no doubt that most people prefer versions of Knocking with Mick Taylor. After all, the original jam at the end may not have existed without him. But like it or not, Ron Wood is the current member in that guitar slot and I think he does an awesome Job with the solo on SFL. Props to him!

Date: September 20, 2016 17:41

GasLightStreet
Yes. There were. Your observation is spot on, too. It is rather messy. Why they don't do the intro properly is a bit odd as well.

Keith has small hands, and very thick fingers now as well. He won't reach there with his pinky, so he's doing a modified version of the intro (with a Tele, which has a wider fretboard than the guitar he originally recorded it with, I reckon).

Date: September 20, 2016 17:42

It's just not as good as Taylor's playing, Ronnie.

That's all it's about. Everyone knows who the current band member is that does the solo and has been the solo since 2002, with the exception being the Mick Taylor guest appearance tours.

Date: September 20, 2016 17:47

GasLightStreet
It's just not as good as Taylor's playing, Ronnie.

That's all it's about. Everyone knows who the current band member is that does the solo and has been the solo since 2002, with the exception being the Mick Taylor guest appearance tours.

Understood, but Ronnie has a tough assignment, big shoes to fill when the Stones choose to play a Taylor-centric tune like CYHMK. Given that Wood's style is totally different than Taylor's I still like what he does there and feel he does a good job with it. He surely feels somewhat trapped between catching the feel of what Taylor first did and approximating some off the licks, and trying to add something of his own to it as well.

Date: September 20, 2016 17:47

GLS is always telling things I´ve never said.
Never said MT "sucks" - he just doesn´t fit in the band, musically & personally.
Never said DW is "great" always said it´s "very good",which it is indeed, imo.
Never said B. Keys "sucks" but I think Karl Denson is a more versatile and more skillfull player.
Never said Exile "sucks" or is "not very good". It is very good but it would have been even great if they´d released it as single LP.
Finally, not being able to tell Bill apart from Darryl isn´t a crime after all.

Sticky Fingers Live vs. Glastonbury: Listened to both several times and the Fonda gig moves me more, is that a crime? Glastonbury to me is just another one of their 50and-counting shows, not much better or worse than the majority of gigs they did since 2012.

Date: September 20, 2016 17:49

Tate
Yikes... Always fun to watch MT with the Stones, but this version is a bit of a mess! The band is playing faster than Charlie's tempo for the first 3 minutes, and they miss the break (Mick yell's "here we go!" to cue everyone, but it's just a tad late), then there is clearly an overlap of BK's solo into MT's solo that looks super awkward. Toward the end of MT's lovely solo he is trying to get Keith's attention, and everybody's, and finally has to turn completely arround to cue everyone about the ending. I'm not typically a dweller of the negative, but while every MT appearance on that tour was special, ooh, this one is a little tough for me to watch! It all just seems startlingly unrehearsed and not very tight. I apologize for the criticism among so much praise-- Don't get me wrong, I loved this tour and the shows I saw in Boston... but weren't there much better, tighter versions of CYHMK than this?

Oh, absolutely. It's like it could go of the rails at any time...but it never quite does! To me that gives it an edge and sense of spontaneity. There were crisper versions on that tour, but given the setting and MT's magic (after the false start on the solo), I just think its one of those special Stones moments!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2031
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home