Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Favourite MJ adlibs
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 17, 2016 04:32

Just listening to Tumbling Dice from the bootleg Brussels 73 (not the archive thing released a couple of years ago).

I just love that version, it makes the hairs on my neck stand up on end it's so electrifying and soulful. Mick is just incredible, and I love the 'Everybody needs a little help sometimes... And right now i need you' bit. Got me thinking about other great ad libs he's hit us with mid song.

What are your favourites?

'Sweeter than a sugar pie'

Re: Favourite MJ adlibs
Date: September 17, 2016 19:06

JUNE 25, 2013

Jagger drew a big reaction from the crowd at a Rolling Stones concert in Washington, D.C., Monday night after cracking, "I don't think President Obama is here tonight, but I'm sure he's listening in."

The rock legend, who turns 70 next month, made the joke in between songs at the Verizon Center, the last destination on the U.S. leg of the band's 50 and Counting tour. According to tweets from the event (via Huffington Post), Jagger's reference to the NSA surveillance scandal -- which has led leaker Edward Snowden to seek refuge (as of now) in Moscow's airport

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 17, 2016 19:22

peoplewitheyes
Just listening to Tumbling Dice from the bootleg Brussels 73 (not the archive thing released a couple of years ago).

I just love that version, it makes the hairs on my neck stand up on end it's so electrifying and soulful. Mick is just incredible, and I love the 'Everybody needs a little help sometimes... And right now i need you' bit. Got me thinking about other great ad libs he's hit us with mid song.

It's interesting that you say that because his ad libbing during Tumbling Dice on LA Friday Night from 1975 is truly awesome, I think better than the Brussels Tumbling Dice.

It also has a special connection for me because in 1976 I bought the three-album bootleg series for the same concert so I have been listening to it for 40 years! The audio quality for about half of the bootleg series is decent, including Tumbling Dice. Mick goes into another world during the repeating coda and it's just great, and the band is on fire.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: September 17, 2016 19:24

I'm not sure this qualifies as a great adlib but on 9/9/73 at Empire Pool Mick blurts out "you need an oxygen mask in here" during Midnight Rambler the only occasion I can recall where he broke the fourth wall

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: September 17, 2016 19:26

MileHigh
peoplewitheyes

It's interesting that you say that because his ad libbing during Tumbling Dice on LA Friday Night from 1975 is truly awesome, I think better than the Brussels Tumbling Dice.

It also has a special connection for me because in 1976 I bought the three-album bootleg series for the same concert so I have been listening to it for 40 years! The audio quality for about half of the bootleg series is decent, including Tumbling Dice. Mick goes into another world during the repeating coda and it's just great, and the band is on fire.

I loved the 3 -LP boot. One of the first I heard back in about 76 or 77. The "who wen to church this sunday... didn't even Billy go to church" ad-lib was priceless

Posted by: Voodookitten76 ()
Date: September 17, 2016 19:30

At Indy in 2015, Mick did a bit of "Come on in My Kitchen" during the middle of a song--can't remember which--but it was very cool! Keith seemed to approve.

"Nice bit of silk, Em."

Date: September 17, 2016 19:54

While guitars are being re-tuned (1972):

"A few hearts broken, a few strings busted... That's not a lot - between friends".

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: September 17, 2016 20:24

Before Tumbling Dice, Hampton Roads 12-18-81, "All right Virginia, let's roll on down...shhhhhhhhhhhit, let's go. Roads, Roads, Roads, Roads, Roads...I wish I were nude!"

I remember hearing that on the radio the night of the pay-per-view...not sure about the "Roads, Roads" part (it sounds like he's saying that), but the "Wish I Were Nude" line was a classic!

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 17, 2016 20:29

Jah Paul
Before Tumbling Dice, Hampton Roads 12-18-81, "All right Virginia, let's roll on down...shhhhhhhhhhhit, let's go. Roads, Roads, Roads, Roads, Roads...I wish I were nude!"

I remember hearing that on the radio the night of the pay-per-view...not sure about the "Roads, Roads" part (it sounds like he's saying that), but the "Wish I Were Nude" line was a classic!

I thought he was saying, "rude, rude, I wish I were nude" Other favorite Mick quips....his introductions of the band from El Macambo were priceless, "Bill Wyman just wants to take photographs of girls legs!"..."Keith, of course is completely straight."

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 17, 2016 22:28

I've been shit shat and shit all over... this town. HAMPTON

Not a quip but one of those... funny facts:

We got one... from somewhere in the Seventies I think it's from BLACK AND BLUE it's called... Heartbreaker.

New Orleans, LA VOODOO LOUNGE tour

All the funny little shouts and comments stopped after the TATTOO YOU tours.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: September 17, 2016 22:51

the surprise noojoisy show on the 1978 tour.

idontknow, maybe we'll do a country song, newjersey's in the country, ain'tit? well i thought it was.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: September 17, 2016 23:19

Madison Square Garden 69 - I think i've bust a button on me trousers.....you wouldn't want my trousers to fall down now would ya?

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: September 17, 2016 23:56

Welcome to everyone watchin on tv, drinkin' a few drinks, smoking a few joints

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 18, 2016 03:14

Play the guitar boy ...... Dead Flowers Texas 72 ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 18, 2016 07:14

Love You Live:

"If you feel like dancin'.....Wait."

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 18, 2016 13:32

Voodookitten76
At Indy in 2015, Mick did a bit of "Come on in My Kitchen" during the middle of a song--can't remember which--
but it was very cool! Keith seemed to approve.

It was Midnight Rambler, and the guitars played it first - Mick responded. Very cool indeed.

And yes, at Hampton it's "rude rude rude, I wish I were nude". Keith was doing something just off camera
that elicited that, and I've spent hours speculating what in the world

Are we discussing mid-song ad libs or interstitial material? Both I guess.
I enjoy "there's a hare of score-brained children" enormously in the Toronto 2005 recording :E

Date: September 18, 2016 13:47

I believe Keith took a good sip of whiskey prior to that line smiling smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 18, 2016 14:45

DandelionPowderman
I believe Keith took a good sip of whiskey prior to that line smiling smiley

No doubt, but he'd been doing that on camera as well, so why would it suddenly elicit such a response?
I have no choice but to think he did something ruder than that - and I've had years to speculate dreamily about it :E

Posted by: Voodookitten76 ()
Date: September 18, 2016 16:56

with sssoul
Voodookitten76
At Indy in 2015, Mick did a bit of "Come on in My Kitchen" during the middle of a song--can't remember which--
but it was very cool! Keith seemed to approve.

It was Midnight Rambler, and the guitars played it first - Mick responded. Very cool indeed.

Thanks, with sssoul!

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: September 18, 2016 17:11

Hey jude na na na na during Sympathy 1969, not sure which show. . .

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 18, 2016 17:40

Summer 1978: Sorry if the band isn't playing too well tonight -- they were up all last night, f***ing.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 18, 2016 17:54

Buffalo 2015. "I'd like to thank Terry and Kim Pegula for having us. The taps in the bathroom are now covered in gold"

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 18, 2016 20:02

I was assuming that this was supposed to be about ad libs in songs that Mick was singing live.

Date: September 18, 2016 23:27

MileHigh
I was assuming that this was supposed to be about ad libs in songs that Mick was singing live.

It only said ad libs...

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 18, 2016 23:57

I sort of remember this from Philly 1978, right before Sweet Little Sixteen, "Aahhh...the girls look so pretty and the boys look so CUTE!"

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 19, 2016 04:45

I was actually thinking of in-song ad-libs (as opposed to between song wisecracks), but whatever. I;m easy.

Another one I like is from (I think) JM Imagination, 78 Texas- 'I'm tellin' the truth'

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: September 19, 2016 04:58

At the VL Halloween show in SF 94, he comes out in a seventies style sportcoat before playing Out of Tears on Piano: "I think there's still come coke left in the pocket of this coat."

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: September 19, 2016 22:03

From 1981:

"I been shit, shat, and shit on. Shidoobee shidoobee shidoobe"

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 19, 2016 22:13

MileHigh
peoplewitheyes

I really like the part of the 1981 versions especially the one from the let's spend the night together movie.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 19, 2016 23:07

The "Voulez-vous chanter avec nous?" part of YCAGWYW on Love You Live.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home