Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Mick Jagger: Some Girls Deluxe comes this November with 10 bonus tracks never released before
Date: September 16, 2011 23:55

I would imagine it will still be the 2009 remaster.

Re: Mick Jagger: Some Girls Deluxe comes this November with 10 bonus tracks never released before
Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: September 16, 2011 23:55

kovach
So how much can the technology improve since 2009 to even make remastering worthwhile? Seems a little silly...

Who is talking about new remastering???

UMG put out the 2009 remasters and pressed some tens of thousands from each album and delivered them to some big stores, like Saturn, Media Market, Amazon, etc etc. This number of copies is nearly sold out now.
So UMG will press some re-releases from those 2009-Remasters (Exile 2010), starting with Some Girls ...

Same procedure as every time ...

etc

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 17, 2011 01:33

HighwireC
kovach
So how much can the technology improve since 2009 to even make remastering worthwhile? Seems a little silly...

UMG put out the 2009 remasters and pressed some tens of thousands from each album and delivered them to some big stores, like Saturn, Media Market, Amazon, etc etc. This number of copies is nearly sold out now.
So UMG will press some re-releases from those 2009-Remasters (Exile 2010), starting with Some Girls ...

etc

First paragraph of the announcement: "The Rolling Stones are pleased to announce the release on November 21, 2011 of the re-mastered, expanded, Super-Deluxe, Deluxe and Digital editions of Some Girls, the groundbreaking album which introduced the music of the Rolling Stones to a whole new generation of fans."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-17 01:33 by kovach.

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: September 17, 2011 01:34

18 November in the Netherlands! smiling bouncing smiley

[www.paulinestroosnijder.com]

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: September 17, 2011 07:43

kovach
HighwireC
kovach

etc

First paragraph of the announcement: "The Rolling Stones are pleased to announce the release on November 21, 2011 of the re-mastered, expanded, Super-Deluxe, Deluxe and Digital editions of Some Girls, the groundbreaking album which introduced the music of the Rolling Stones to a whole new generation of fans."

Of couse, SG has been remastered by UMG [2008 to 2009] and this remastered CD was first released in 2009. Now you get a second edition of these 2009 remasters. Only the new bonus tracks are new [2011] remasters and some remixes, too.

That's my view of these announcements ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-17 07:46 by HighwireC.

Re: Mick Jagger: Some Girls Deluxe comes with 10 bonus tracks never released before
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 17, 2011 10:22

FreeBird
Justin
It'd be great if they could provide us the original versions of these tracks...completely untouched but made available only as a download or something. It's not the "completist" in me that needs them...but rather someone who actually prefers those versions as they are.
How can you tell without even having heard the new versions?

Easy. Because I absolutely shutter at the sound of Mick's new "singing" today...the back of throat/nasally voice he uses. It's more a head voice than him using his lungs. Since he had to ADD new vocals..no doubt it's the same kind of stuff we've gotten from him on Alfie, 40 Licks (Don't Stop etc), ABB....the Exile new songs and now Superheavy. No thanks.

Re: Mick Jagger: Some Girls Deluxe comes with 10 bonus tracks never released before
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 17, 2011 14:49

Justin
FreeBird
Justin
It'd be great if they could provide us the original versions of these tracks...completely untouched but made available only as a download or something. It's not the "completist" in me that needs them...but rather someone who actually prefers those versions as they are.
How can you tell without even having heard the new versions?

Easy. Because I absolutely shutter at the sound of Mick's new "singing" today...the back of throat/nasally voice he uses. It's more a head voice than him using his lungs. Since he had to ADD new vocals..no doubt it's the same kind of stuff we've gotten from him on Alfie, 40 Licks (Don't Stop etc), ABB....the Exile new songs and now Superheavy. No thanks.

It´ll be SOME SUPER HEAVY GIRLS ?...but as long as I didn´t have listen to it,I´m still looking forward to.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 17, 2011 15:01

HighwireC

At the Media Markt in my town the Stones shelf is empty.
People are still buying their stuff.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 17, 2011 17:55

TooTough
HighwireC

At the Media Markt in my town the Stones shelf is empty.
People are still buying their stuff.

or the store has simply stopped ordering...not to be pessimistic

Posted by: martinw ()
Date: September 19, 2011 14:11

Now listed for pre-order on Amazon UK - £15 for the 2CD version, £89 for the Super Deluxe Version.

Also in his Times interview, I see that Mick says that there are 12 new tracks...

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: September 19, 2011 14:25

DVD
Tracklisting coming soon! but will be made up of live material and promo videos (30mins approx)

[www.ticketekmusic.com.au]

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 19, 2011 15:25

HighwireC
Only the new bonus tracks are new [2011] remasters and some remixes, too.

The bonus tracks hopefully won't be brickwalled!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-19 17:39 by DragonSky.

Date: September 19, 2011 15:43

Duplicate post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-19 15:44 by WilliamPatrickMaynard.

Date: September 19, 2011 15:43

Your slip is showing, DragonSky!

Date: September 19, 2011 17:40

Yikes.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 19, 2011 18:11

"The bonus tracks hopefully won't be brickwalled!"

Why? You can easily brickwall a 1978 recording. The evil doing is done at the Mastering stage not during the recording itself. These days there's a lot of music lovingly recorded by sound engineers... then the music is butchered by hot Mastering "cos ya know it... it sounds better on FM radios and Ipods". Puke...

Date: September 19, 2011 18:56

dcba
"The bonus tracks hopefully won't be brickwalled!"

Why? You can easily brickwall a 1978 recording. The evil doing is done at the Mastering stage not during the recording itself. These days there's a lot of music lovingly recorded by sound engineers... then the music is butchered by hot Mastering "cos ya know it... it sounds better on FM radios and Ipods". Puke...

ANY recording can be brickwalled when mastered too hot. That's the whole point. Did you actually read what I said? Here, this might help, I'll say it again only differently:

HOPEFULLY THE BONUS TRACKS WON'T BE BRICKWALLED.

Date: September 19, 2011 22:27

"HOPEFULLY THE BONUS TRACKS WON'T BE BRICKWALLED."

Say wot, dude? My real name is Vlado "+12dB" Meller. Maybe you heard of me...?

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: September 19, 2011 22:33

Fiji Gin

I Need You

Claudine, Yellow Cab etc etc are complete i.e release them!!!

(Or let me steal I Need You for the b-side on my next single)

I won't f&%¤ you too much! BEST STONES SONG EVER!!!

Date: September 20, 2011 04:17

martinw
Now listed for pre-order on Amazon UK - £15 for the 2CD version, £89 for the Super Deluxe Version.

Also in his Times interview, I see that Mick says that there are 12 new tracks...

EVEN BETTER NEWS!
Thanks for the heads up...I checked the various Amazon country sites, and found UK's price to be the best, so I preordered the SuperDeluxe version.

When you go to the cart, before buying, it comes in at under 75 pounds, don't know why they do this, but I've bought before and receive similiar discounts.

If price drops again, you're guaranteed the lowest price.

Amazon.com is selling same package for $169.

It's still pricey and may not be for everyone, but at least its not as bad.

Date: September 22, 2011 05:09

treaclefingers
martinw

EVEN BETTER NEWS!
Thanks for the heads up...I checked the various Amazon country sites, and found UK's price to be the best, so I preordered the SuperDeluxe version.

When you go to the cart, before buying, it comes in at under 75 pounds, don't know why they do this, but I've bought before and receive similiar discounts.

If price drops again, you're guaranteed the lowest price.

Amazon.com is selling same package for $169.

It's still pricey and may not be for everyone, but at least its not as bad.

For those of you interested, further price drop for superdeluxe box. On Amazon.co.uk, 66.66 GBP, Amazon.de, 72 Euros.

You actually have to put the item in your cart, and go through as if you were going to pay, and the price drop is reflected before you finish the transaction.

Getting much better in my mind. Also, shipping from UK to North America seems far less expensive than from Germany.

Date: September 22, 2011 12:23

kovach

Or labels' new strategy is to sell to the handful of music lovers who still buy CDs the same albums three or four times...

Date: September 22, 2011 16:03

dcba
"HOPEFULLY THE BONUS TRACKS WON'T BE BRICKWALLED."

Say wot, dude? My real name is Vlado "+12dB" Meller. Maybe you heard of me...?

Nope. Haven't heard of you. Should I Google your name?

I was talking about the mastering of the new tracks and how they hopefully won't be brickwalled in the mastering. You responded as if I was talking about the multi-track masters and then went on to say exactly what I said about mastering only with more words.

So you are in agreeance that the remastering UMe has done of the Stones catalog has been brickwalled and it would be nice if the new SG tracks aren't brickwalled.

Date: September 22, 2011 16:17

Mind you, I'd enjoy reading the real Vlado Meller's thoughts on how the albums were (if you'll pardon the expression) remastered since he did the job in 1986.

Date: September 22, 2011 16:24

I just don't get the confusion.

Date: September 22, 2011 16:56

If you mean the confusion over the word "remastering," DragonSky, I've always understood remastering to apply to a reissue that used another mastering engineer rather than using the last existing version. When CD's came on the scene, digital remastering was a requisite and guys like Vlado Meller did the initial analog to digital conversion. In the case of the Stones back catalog, we've had at least two more digital masters along the way to make people who already own the discs repeat customers. Contrasted with Atlantic's decision to stick with the original CBS masters when they reissued Jagger's first two solo albums in 1993.

If, on the other hand, you mean confusion between people using the word remaster when they mean remix or when a track that was never officially released can be said to have been remixed, that's down to semantics and is misused all the time even by people who should know better. We've had some entertaining discussions on this very topic here in the past, but sadly the poster who was most informed on such matters (and who viewed it as a pet peeve) left the board and went to that great forum in the sky.

Date: September 22, 2011 17:14

Ha ha. No, I understand all of that clearly, mastering and remixing etc. It's just I was stating that the UMe remasters were brickwalled in some cases due to the remastering and that it is my hope that these upcoming Some Girls extras are not mastered to being brickwalled. A little bit of headroom would be nice. And I read dcba's response to be, well, I'm still not sure. I think he is saying the same thing.

Never knew Jagger's first and second solo albums were reissued.

Date: September 22, 2011 17:39

I belong in the camp that thinks we're getting the exact same brickwalled master from 2009 in the new SOME GIRLS packages.

I know ABKCO did remaster YA-YA'S in 2009 for the Deluxe Edition rather than use the same master from 2002, but I suspect that was to bring the sound levels closer to the bonus disc. In the case of SOME GIRLS, it's probably already consistent sound-wise based on the EXILE RARITIES disc plus this release is just an expansion of the 2009 remaster program.

As for Jagger's first two discs being reissued, when the Sony contract expired after FLASHPOINT, he had to find a new home for his first two discs since they were part of the Stones' CBS deal. Atlantic picked them up and reissued them in 1993 along with WANDERING SPIRIT. They were no-budget reissues just switching the labels on the disc. Atlantic literally used the same discs as CBS. Also the inserts were printed on thinner paper than the CBS booklets. There was talk of remasters coming from Rhino in 2008, but after the relatively disappointing sales of THE VERY BEST OF MICK JAGGER this seems to have been shelved.

Date: September 22, 2011 17:42

Wow. Rhino made the right move.

I'm not going to get the UMe Some Girls unless it's the only way to get the extra album. Hopefully the extra album is one of itself.

Date: September 22, 2011 17:43

I haven't heard, but I'd expect another Wal-Mart exclusive like with EXILE RARITIES.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home