Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 42
Re: OT ~ NFL begins tonight
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 11, 2012 19:20

Niners have this one.

They are also a 'respectable' 13-3

Date: January 11, 2012 19:28

NoCode0680
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Saints are the best road team in the NFL for the last three seasons. That is a fact. A victory over San Fran is very likely and not just because of that fact.

It's actually not a fact. They're 5-3 on the road this season, so all 3 of their losses came on the road. That's the same road record as the New York Giants, Philadelphia and Detroit. And below Green Bay & San Francisco.

Last season they were in an 8-way tie for second place in road games, top spot being Pittsburgh.

The year before that a 3-way tie for first with San Diego and Indianapolis.

Not that it really matters, or that it will affect this game, but it's just not a true statement.

I highlighted it for you. Between 2006 and 2011 they are the fourth best road team in the NFL and since 09, 010 and 011 they are THE best road team. You can argue all you want but this was on the radio and you know how those guys are with stats.

NFL's BEST REGULAR-SEASON ROAD RECORDS SINCE 2006

1. New England 28-11
2. Indianapolis 27-12
3. New York Giants 25-13
4. New Orleans 24-15
5. Philadelphia 24-15-1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-11 19:35 by WeLoveToPlayTheBlues.

Date: January 11, 2012 19:29

NoCode0680
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Saints are the best road team in the NFL for the last three seasons. That is a fact. A victory over San Fran is very likely and not just because of that fact.

It's actually not a fact. They're 5-3 on the road this season, so all 3 of their losses came on the road.

You like redundancy eh?

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: January 11, 2012 19:48

The road is a different place in the playoffs. You are playing another top team, motivated and more intense along with their fans, not cellar dwellers or middling teams, and weather is a much bigger factor in January. This is especially true of precision passing teams (like Saints) who prefer perfect conditions. The worse the weather, the better off a running defensive minded team (like San Fran) is. Lucky for Saints the forecast for the game seems like a pleasant day. But if rain or wind somehow rear their heads, always possible when your next to the Ocean, advantage Niners.

Date: January 11, 2012 19:51

Yup. The Niners will have to hit Brees in the mouth. They are not a high scoring team so they would lose a shootout for sure. Count on Aldon Smith to get to Brees and convince him to toss it towards Patrick Willis.

Then Alex needs to move that ball...

Go Niners

Date: January 11, 2012 20:00

Why do people think that these players will suddenly do bad because they're outside? They all played in shit weather in college. The Saints were 8-0 at home because it was AT HOME. Baltimore did the same. And, gee, they play outside.

Date: January 11, 2012 20:03

Its a good question. Even the radio talkers are saying it would be a better match up in GB to see SF there.

I'm a huge Niner fan and anytime Brees brings his show to town...you gotta be a bit on edge.

Date: January 11, 2012 20:11

They don't know what they're talking about. Better to see SF than NO. That's funny.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: January 11, 2012 20:20

Wind affects passing teams more than running teams. Playing on natural turf affects speed more than power, especially if wet or muddy. Winter weather is different than Autumn weather. Not hard to figure out. Ask Dan Fouts if home field doesn't matter in playoffs when you are coming off an offensive record setting season.

Date: January 11, 2012 20:20

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
They don't know what they're talking about. Better to see SF than NO. That's funny.

None of us know what we're talking about. We'll all be experts on Monday
Go Niners!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 11, 2012 20:42

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
NoCode0680
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

It's actually not a fact. They're 5-3 on the road this season, so all 3 of their losses came on the road. That's the same road record as the New York Giants, Philadelphia and Detroit. And below Green Bay & San Francisco.

Last season they were in an 8-way tie for second place in road games, top spot being Pittsburgh.

The year before that a 3-way tie for first with San Diego and Indianapolis.

Not that it really matters, or that it will affect this game, but it's just not a true statement.

I highlighted it for you. Between 2006 and 2011 they are the fourth best road team in the NFL and since 09, 010 and 011 they are THE best road team. You can argue all you want but this was on the radio and you know how those guys are with stats.

NFL's BEST REGULAR-SEASON ROAD RECORDS SINCE 2006

1. New England 28-11
2. Indianapolis 27-12
3. New York Giants 25-13
4. New Orleans 24-15
5. Philadelphia 24-15-1

The guys on the radio (or ESPN for that matter) will say anything to hear their own voice. Stats are great, but they can be skewed to create whatever narrative you want. I misunderstood and thought you meant they had the best road record each of the last 3 seasons, but even if you're doing a cumulative road record, what makes 3 seasons the cut-off? Because it tells the story they wanted to tell. Why not include the '08 season where they went 2-6 on the road? Or '07 when they were 4-4? Whoever was talking wanted to highlight a good road record, so they used a cut-off that proved their point. As the list you posted shows, they don't have the best road record if you go back another season or two. Still in the top 5, but not THE best.

Here's the one thing that worries me about the Saints on the road. The loss to Green Bay on the road I can see, but they lost to 2 of the worst teams in the league (Tampa Bay and St. Louis) on the road. They only played two decent teams on the road this year, Tennessee and Atlanta, and they won both of those, but it's the losses to crappy teams on the road that make me wonder about them.

Having said all of that, I still think the Saints will win. I think San Francisco is VERY lucky to be 13-3. They offense is too shaky. They rely on their Defense, and I'm not sure they can shut Brees down. I think NO has too well rounded an offense for them to be able to cover all of it. So they're going to be scoring, and San Fran can't play a shootout style game. They're just not prolific scorers.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 11, 2012 20:59

It is one thing to argue about opinions, it is another to argue about facts.

Date: January 11, 2012 21:59

Max'sKansasCity

Well that's just your opinion man

Date: January 11, 2012 22:57

Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity

Well that's just your opinion man
_

Date: January 11, 2012 23:23

2012-01-14

4:30 PM EST
109 NEW ORLEANS SAINTS -3 -25 -3.5 / -3.5 -15 / -3.5 -05 -3.5 -15 -190
110 SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS 47.5 47.5 +165
TV: FOX

8:00 PM EST
111 DENVER BRONCOS 50.5 50.5 / 51 50.5 +525
112 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS -14 -14 -13.5 -725
TV: CBS

2012-01-15

1:00 PM EST
113 HOUSTON TEXANS 38.5 38 / 37.5 / 36.5 35.5 +280
114 BALTIMORE RAVENS -7 -7 / -9 EVEN / -9 +10 -7.5 -340
HOU-QB-Matt Schaub-OUT TV: CBS

115 NEW YORK GIANTS 51.5 51.5 / 52 52.5 +260
116 GREEN BAY PACKERS -9 -9 / -8.5 / -8 -7.5 -320

BOOK IT
Betting 4 games to amp out the best weekend all year in the NFL!!

I take New Orleans and give 3.5 points to San Franciso
I take Denver and get 13.5 points from New England
I take Baltimore and give 7.5 points to Houston
I take Green Bay and give 7.5 points to New York

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 11, 2012 23:30

Max'sKansasCity
2012-01-14

109 NEW ORLEANS SAINTS -3 -25 -3.5 / -3.5 -15 / -3.5 -05 -3.5 -15 -190
110 SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS 47.5 47.5 +165

8:00 PM EST
111 DENVER BRONCOS 50.5 50.5 / 51 50.5 +525
112 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS -14 -14 -13.5 -725
TV: CBS

2012-01-15

1:00 PM EST
113 HOUSTON TEXANS 38.5 38 / 37.5 / 36.5 35.5 +280
114 BALTIMORE RAVENS -7 -7 / -9 EVEN / -9 +10 -7.5 -340
HOU-QB-Matt Schaub-OUT TV: CBS

115 NEW YORK GIANTS 51.5 51.5 / 52 52.5 +260
116 GREEN BAY PACKERS -9 -9 / -8.5 / -8 -7.5 -320

BOOK IT
Betting 4 games to amp out the best weekend all year in the NFL!!

I take New Orleans and give 3.5 points to San Franciso
I take Denver and get 13.5 points from New England
I take Baltimore and give 7.5 points to Houston
I take Green Bay and give 7.5 points to New York
Your half right.winking smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: January 11, 2012 23:31

No sense arguing facts, we will see.smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-11 23:32 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: January 11, 2012 23:36

The 49ers win will be done with Smoke and Mirrors. Shock and Awe can't compete with that.

Shuck & Jive will prevail

Go Niners

Date: January 11, 2012 23:44

Munichhilton
The 49ers win will be done with Smoke and Mirrors. Shock and Awe can't compete with that.

Go Niners
The Niners are going to break out their secret weapon. Huey Lewis.LOL

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 11, 2012 23:47

sweetcharmedlife
Munichhilton

Go Niners

I'll wait for the news!

Date: January 11, 2012 23:54

sweetcharmedlife
Munichhilton

Go Niners

The very last time I saw Joe Montana play they dragged him out on a flatbed and he did 4 or 5 tunes.

He's the Jive that goes with the Shuck

Working For A Living indeed

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: January 12, 2012 00:23

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Why do people think that these players will suddenly do bad because they're outside? They all played in shit weather in college. The Saints were 8-0 at home because it was AT HOME. Baltimore did the same. And, gee, they play outside.

The weather itself shouldn't be a factor, but the footing could be. Soggy track. Saints should still prevail, but it's no "Done Deal".

Date: January 12, 2012 00:44

stonescrow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

The weather itself shouldn't be a factor, but the footing could be. Soggy track. Saints should still prevail, but it's no "Done Deal".
Well no rain in sight. But I'm gonnas sneak out there friday night and turn on all the sprinklers and get the field nice and muddy.smiling bouncing smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: January 12, 2012 01:48

Anybody hear this monstrosity?

Date: January 12, 2012 02:03

NoCode0680
The guys on the radio (or ESPN for that matter) will say anything to hear their own voice. Stats are great, but they can be skewed to create whatever narrative you want. I misunderstood and thought you meant they had the best road record each of the last 3 seasons, but even if you're doing a cumulative road record, what makes 3 seasons the cut-off? Because it tells the story they wanted to tell. Why not include the '08 season where they went 2-6 on the road? Or '07 when they were 4-4? Whoever was talking wanted to highlight a good road record, so they used a cut-off that proved their point. As the list you posted shows, they don't have the best road record if you go back another season or two. Still in the top 5, but not THE best.

Here's the one thing that worries me about the Saints on the road. The loss to Green Bay on the road I can see, but they lost to 2 of the worst teams in the league (Tampa Bay and St. Louis) on the road. They only played two decent teams on the road this year, Tennessee and Atlanta, and they won both of those, but it's the losses to crappy teams on the road that make me wonder about them.

Having said all of that, I still think the Saints will win. I think San Francisco is VERY lucky to be 13-3. They offense is too shaky. They rely on their Defense, and I'm not sure they can shut Brees down. I think NO has too well rounded an offense for them to be able to cover all of it. So they're going to be scoring, and San Fran can't play a shootout style game. They're just not prolific scorers.

Here's some interesting history about the Saints pre-Brees. Cleveland came to town at 0-10. It was gonna be a cakewalk according to a lot of people. Aaron Brooks was the QB.

Guess who won that game?

The Saints have a classic history of playing down for these weaker teams - and playing up for the good teams. That has happened with Brees but not to THAT extent! The loss in the 2011 playoffs was not his fault, it was a team that only the uniform showed who it was. They were basically to the point of pulling guys out of the stands to have them play they were so injury riddled.

But to get to your point about the three years road record blah blah - it was Bobby Herbert talking for the WWL sports show about the Saints. That's his job, yes, and he did make it sound like the Saints are this or that, which is true.

I guess there needs to be a cut off at some point. You want to talk about SF? It only pertains to the 2011/12 season doesn't it. So no room for argument there.

I love Bobby. He's one passionate dude about the Saints. He backs his gruff up with stats, with history, with details. He has no reason to make this crap up. He knows what he's talking about, hell, he was a QB for the Saints and got them to their first ever playoff game. So he gets that respect - and the room - to talk like that. He's not arrogant, he's passionate. He never never says OH THE SAINTS ARE GONNA ABC, he just lays out 'The Saints can win if' and so on. Same with the other team. He's very fair about the way things work. And I know this might be difficult to believe but he's way more cool about the Saints losing than he is about Les Miles!

I really don't care what the Saints road record is - it's the playoffs. Things can happen that are not expected. Giants beating the perfect Patriots is possibly THEE best example of that. So everyone can spout what they want about how good SF is blah blah and how the Saints lost to St Louis and TB and how bad of teams they are. You know what they say, "any given Sunday"...the Saints have certainly proved that. Even the Terry Bradshaw Pittsburgh Steelers had some strange losses.

It means nothing that St Louis beat New Orleans. SF lost to Dallas. They barely beat Cincy. They beat Philly by 1 point. Lost to Baltimore and Arizona and barely beat Seattle. Not exactly setting the league on fire with those games but the close games, a win is a win. Saints did the same thing against Carolina and Tennessee, barely won.

Some teams play better on one of 16 days than the rest. That St Louis game was 10 games ago. The Saints lost 3 games in a row in the 2009-10 season, the last loss to a poor ass Carolina. Playoffs were completely different as you know since they went on to win Super Bowl 44. KC beat Green Bay this past season. Nobody is griping or mouthing off or 'wondering' about that. Saturday one team will win and I'm really thinking, and of course hoping, it will be New Orleans, partially because they are on fire, partially because they've played some really good teams this past season and because I'm thinking they'll really show up and be the better team. There you go.

WHO DAT!

Date: January 12, 2012 16:24

Don't let it go yet!
We still have 2 full days of mindless opinion based trash talk ahead of us!

I'll start.
The Niners are gonna beat the Saints and then ask them to leave SF on the next chartered flight without a movie or a meal.

Ha!

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: January 12, 2012 17:15

NO over SF-- The Niners would have big time trouble finding Sproles (250 all purpose yds)
NYG over GB-- The Giants are so lucky that they will upset the cheeseheads
BAL over HOU-- Just plain logic, the better team will win
NE over DEN-- Brady will trow for like 400 yds and 4 TDs. I can imagine the Patriots LTAO in the sidelines by the start of the 4Q.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 12, 2012 17:23

leteyer
NO over SF-- The Niners would have big time trouble finding Sproles (250 all purpose yds)

thumbs up

Posted by: Borncrosseyed ()
Date: January 12, 2012 19:36

Date: January 12, 2012 20:29

stonescrow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Ah ha ha ha ha ha! Even I know better than to say "that"!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 42

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2120
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home