Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 42
Re: OT ~ NFL begins tonight
Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: January 30, 2012 02:59

Just hope Eli doesn't tarnish his father Archie's legacy! After all, the sons never live up to their legendary fathers. At least that is what I have been told.smoking smiley

Date: January 30, 2012 03:05

stonescrow
Just hope Eli doesn't tarnish his father Archie's legacy! After all, the sons never live up to their legendary fathers. At least that is what I have been told.smoking smiley

Don't worry - he has't and never will - Archie never won a SB.

Date: January 30, 2012 03:07

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonescrow

Either did Dan Marino.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: January 30, 2012 03:07

stupidguy2
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
The Sicilian
Munichhilton
Great team and a great day.
The Niners can be thankful that they beat themselves...The Giants couldn't do it without Williams assist.

Really? That ball was knocked out of Williams hands by a playmaker and the knee touch was alertly recovered and taken to the house by an alert player. Those are plays that experienced winners make.

It was a slugfest that for now the best team won. The 49ers have nothing to be ashamed of. They played a great game. The Giants were a little better.

The team that played the best won. As simple as that.

Not as simple as that. Sometimes shit happens and teams benefit from bonehead mistakes, or just fluke thing, like a missed 20-something-yard field goal. That's what's great about football. Any given sunday.......
Otherwise, there would be no underdogs or upsets and the Packers would have been a sure-thing be in the Superbowl.

There is some truth to that. Regardless, you get handed some things, you make do. So...the team that plays the best wins. There you go.

Date: January 30, 2012 03:11

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stupidguy2
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
The Sicilian
Munichhilton
Great team and a great day.
The Niners can be thankful that they beat themselves...The Giants couldn't do it without Williams assist.

Really? That ball was knocked out of Williams hands by a playmaker and the knee touch was alertly recovered and taken to the house by an alert player. Those are plays that experienced winners make.

It was a slugfest that for now the best team won. The 49ers have nothing to be ashamed of. They played a great game. The Giants were a little better.

The team that played the best won. As simple as that.

Not as simple as that. Sometimes shit happens and teams benefit from bonehead mistakes, or just fluke thing, like a missed 20-something-yard field goal. That's what's great about football. Any given sunday.......
Otherwise, there would be no underdogs or upsets and the Packers would have been a sure-thing be in the Superbowl.

There is some truth to that. Regardless, you get handed some things, you make do. So...the team that plays the best wins. There you go.

Lucky and good. Most often a winning combination.

Date: January 30, 2012 05:27

stonescrow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonescrow

And Marino's father played for who?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 30, 2012 19:34

It's time to kill he Pro Bowl. Even though I made money off of it. That game was just embarrasingly bad. The good news I guess is that it'll make the Super Bowl look really good. No matter what.moody smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: January 30, 2012 20:09

the pro bowl is always a joke. usually 40% of the players don't deserve to be there and its never really an actual game.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 30, 2012 20:39

keefriffhard4life
the pro bowl is always a joke. usually 40% of the players don't deserve to be there and its never really an actual game.

I could care less about the Pro Bowl. As much as I love football, the Pro Bowl and Pre-Season games are two things I pretty much refuse to watch. I do enjoy watching other sports and their All-Star games. Especially since they have the other competitions. Hockey has the skills competition, Basketball has the dunk contest, 3-point contest, etc, and Baseball has the home-run derby, and I find the actual games pretty enjoyable. The Pro Bowl is just lame, the only reason anybody goes is for a free trip to Hawaii, and the players only give about 25%

Plus having it right before the Super Bowl means that many of the best players won't be there, although often many of the best players won't be there anyway because fan voting ensures that for the most part players will be from large market teams, regardless of whether they're any good or not.

Date: January 30, 2012 23:24

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonescrow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonescrow

Exactly. Good genes are only part of any formula for success. Not to say that raw talent is overrated but desire and determination in the form of a good work ethic can go a long way in making up for any deficiencies in talent. It's great to have good genes and be born with loads of natural talent but if the desire isn't there then the chances for success diminish. For example, the sons of the Beatles most likely were born with enough "god given" (for lack of a better term) ability to be every bit as good as their famous fathers. Obviously, they lacked the same vision that brought their fathers together over a half century ago. As individuals they have shown some "flashes" of artistic talent. James is carrying on in the tradition of his father. Zak is an accomplished drummer. I have no doubt that if the desire was there they could all come together and give the world a special treat. Archie Manning was a great QB that was stuck for the most part on a lousy team. His sons are also great QB's that were lucky enough to play on teams that were good enough to win Super Bowls. Sons of great performers don't always succeed in following in the footsteps of their famous fathers, but sometimes they do when the desire and commitment are there. In my vision of a perfect world the sons of the Beatles would have come together years ago. It's still not too late, but a long shot indeed.

Date: January 30, 2012 23:35

sweetcharmedlife
It's time to kill he Pro Bowl. Even though I made money off of it. That game was just embarrasingly bad. The good news I guess is that it'll make the Super Bowl look really good. No matter what.moody smiley

I agree. Yesterday was an absolute disgrace to the NFL. The NHL All Star game wasn't much better. Time to put them both to bed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-30 23:41 by stonescrow.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 30, 2012 23:51

How the hell was the pro bowl a disgrace to anything?

What is the issue? Why are people grumping on it so hard? So what? It was a throw and catch score fest... So what? Players get a chance to get recognized, have some fun. It is a nice opportunity for players who are killing each other all year to play a fun little, meaningless game, to have a paid vacation in paradise... bring the families.... have some fun.

Why would anyone care enough to go out of their way to bag on a game? It is harmless fun. If you dont like it, dont watch it, dont bitch about it. There is no reason to kill it. Why are folks on this board so fkg grumpy about everything fun from fun Ronnie Wood to a fun game of football?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-30 23:53 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 31, 2012 01:50

stonescrow
I agree. Yesterday was an absolute disgrace to the NFL. The NHL All Star game wasn't much better. Time to put them both to bed.

In all fairness, I think both the probowl and allstar game are geared towards the young fans and women. They want hotdogging and scoring in both games and pretty much nothing else to interfere. Kids and women can scream their heads off and see the star players.

Most men come to games for the competition. So unfortunately the games serve no purpose for us. Only baseball gets it right, awarding home field advantage in the World Series to the league winner. That gives the game meaning.

Date: January 31, 2012 02:00

stonescrow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonescrow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonescrow

Exactly. Good genes are only part of any formula for success. Not to say that raw talent is overrated but desire and determination in the form of a good work ethic can go a long way in making up for any deficiencies in talent. It's great to have good genes and be born with loads of natural talent but if the desire isn't there then the chances for success diminish. For example, the sons of the Beatles most likely were born with enough "god given" (for lack of a better term) ability to be every bit as good as their famous fathers. Obviously, they lacked the same vision that brought their fathers together over a half century ago. As individuals they have shown some "flashes" of artistic talent. James is carrying on in the tradition of his father. Zak is an accomplished drummer. I have no doubt that if the desire was there they could all come together and give the world a special treat. Archie Manning was a great QB that was stuck for the most part on a lousy team. His sons are also great QB's that were lucky enough to play on teams that were good enough to win Super Bowls. Sons of great performers don't always succeed in following in the footsteps of their famous fathers, but sometimes they do when the desire and commitment are there. In my vision of a perfect world the sons of the Beatles would have come together years ago. It's still not too late, but a long shot indeed.

What's your excuse for Jakob Dylan then? You sure do like big assumptions.

Date: January 31, 2012 02:01

NoCode0680
keefriffhard4life

I could care less about the Pro Bowl.

But you said you don't even watch it yet you could care less. How much more less could you care about it?

Date: January 31, 2012 02:04

Max'sKansasCity

What is the issue? Why are people grumping on it so hard? So what? It was a throw and catch score fest... So what? Players get a chance to get recognized, have some fun. It is a nice opportunity for players who are killing each other all year to play a fun little, meaningless game, to have a paid vacation in paradise... bring the families.... have some fun.

Why would anyone care enough to go out of their way to bag on a game? It is harmless fun. If you dont like it, dont watch it, dont bitch about it. There is no reason to kill it. Why are folks on this board so fkg grumpy about everything fun from fun Ronnie Wood to a fun game of football?

It's strange isn't it. No one makes anyone watch the Pro Bowl. I love seeing Hawaii on the TV the same way they show other cities. So it might as well be flag football. Who cares. The season is over. Those guys have a good time. Drew Brees attempted a drop kick field goal, missed, and was still bummed out about it. So he did give a few hoots about it.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 31, 2012 02:05

Sorry to interrupt and maybe this has been noticed by someone else: But does the NFL really begin every night?

Date: January 31, 2012 02:27

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Max'sKansasCity

It's strange isn't it. No one makes anyone watch the Pro Bowl. I love seeing Hawaii on the TV the same way they show other cities. So it might as well be flag football. Who cares. The season is over. Those guys have a good time. Drew Brees attempted a drop kick field goal, missed, and was still bummed out about it. So he did give a few hoots about it.

I thought it hilarious to watch... like that that one nutty endzone bobble catch and all the other crazy crap they were doing... just having fun... and fun is a good thing to have.... and we had fun watching it. There is enough serious crap in the world, I like fun.

It will be back to biz next week.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: January 31, 2012 03:24

Let's go Giants!!!

Date: January 31, 2012 03:35

Max'sKansasCity

The game of football is plenty fun and exciting when the players are going all out. Why cheapen the product with nonsense like we witnessed on Sunday? I saw defenders purposely "stand down" to let receivers catch balls that could have been easily intercepted or batted down. If you enjoyed it, great, but if I want this kind of entertainment I will watch the WWF or whatever they call it or go to a Stones concert and watch Peter Pan fly all about the stage under the watchful eye of a pirate! There is a time and place for everything. Maybe I take my football to serious?

Date: January 31, 2012 04:50

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonescrow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonescrow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonescrow

I don't know the Jacob Dylan story. Like I said, it doesn't always work out. Gary Nicklaus comes to mind. He did make the PGA tour for awhile and almost won a tournament but never lived up to the exceedingly high expectations that he would be the "next" Jack Nicklaus. Not sure sometimes if the kids of famous people have the work ethic required to achieve the same success that their parents worked so hard to achieve. Maybe had it a little too easy? Too much pressure at a young age can also sometimes cause a kid to rebel. Especially if they think they are living someone else's dream. I know I did. The problem is that sometimes years later you look back and realize those wiser than you really had your best interests at heart and you would have been a whole lot happier in the long run if you had just believed in what they had been trying to tell you. I can imagine that there was a tremendous amount of pressure in being the son of a Beatle. Both internally and externally. The good news is that they are at a stage in their lives where they have matured and are probably beginning to become slightly nostalgic. It happens. Maybe someday they just suddenly get the bug to come together? It would bring joy to millions.

Date: January 31, 2012 07:50

The Sicilian
stonescrow

In all fairness, I think both the probowl and allstar game are geared towards the young fans and women. They want hotdogging and scoring in both games and pretty much nothing else to interfere. Kids and women can scream their heads off and see the star players.

Most men come to games for the competition. So unfortunately the games serve no purpose for us. Only baseball gets it right, awarding home field advantage in the World Series to the league winner. That gives the game meaning.

True. Which brings to mind the Stones gearing their concerts more towards the casual fans.

Date: January 31, 2012 16:46

stonescrow
The Sicilian
stonescrow

True. Which brings to mind the Stones gearing their concerts more towards the casual fans.

LMAO.... I seriously doubt anyone who is not already an NFL fan would watch this thing.... but nice try at the women and children thing...

Date: February 1, 2012 22:21

Green Bay QB Aaron Rogers was quoted as saying that he was very disappointed in the lack of effort by some of his NFC Pro Bowl teammates. Also heard fans were booing the lack of effort by both teams. No effort, no interest. At least for this fan.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 1, 2012 22:35

The ratings for the game were good though. So somebody was watching.

Date: February 2, 2012 02:10

stonescrow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonescrow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonescrow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonescrow

I don't know the Jacob Dylan story. Like I said, it doesn't always work out. Gary Nicklaus comes to mind. He did make the PGA tour for awhile and almost won a tournament but never lived up to the exceedingly high expectations that he would be the "next" Jack Nicklaus. Not sure sometimes if the kids of famous people have the work ethic required to achieve the same success that their parents worked so hard to achieve. Maybe had it a little too easy? Too much pressure at a young age can also sometimes cause a kid to rebel. Especially if they think they are living someone else's dream. I know I did. The problem is that sometimes years later you look back and realize those wiser than you really had your best interests at heart and you would have been a whole lot happier in the long run if you had just believed in what they had been trying to tell you. I can imagine that there was a tremendous amount of pressure in being the son of a Beatle. Both internally and externally. The good news is that they are at a stage in their lives where they have matured and are probably beginning to become slightly nostalgic. It happens. Maybe someday they just suddenly get the bug to come together? It would bring joy to millions.

Jakob Dylan - Bob Dylan's son. The Wallflowers.

It's nothing to do with "the same work ethic". It's very simple - those people got famous because of the talent thay had when they did what they did at the right time. This whole 'sons of the Beatles' thing is assuming that all kids of rock stars and whatever else should be good. Nobody gives a shit if the 'sons of The Beatles' get together except when they would destroy The Beatles' legacy. There is not one reason to think or believe that they would be great together. THEY'RE NOT THE BEATLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's just not that way and it's very very far from the truth. It's one thing to have a family of brothers all be good at the same thing, like the Sutter brothers were in the NHL, and how a family follows suit. Wayne Gretzky's children will never be as good as he was. It just doesn't work that way. It's a horrible horrible assumption.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 3, 2012 14:27

c'mon gentlemen, its time. start typing.

i know nothing of why the giants are not overwhelming underdogs. up against giselle.

and i know only very little about madonna featuring nikki minaj and m.i.a. at halftime.

need information.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 3, 2012 15:07

u ready? i'm ready.

Date: February 3, 2012 21:41

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonescrow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonescrow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonescrow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonescrow

Jakob Dylan - Bob Dylan's son. The Wallflowers.

It's nothing to do with "the same work ethic". It's very simple - those people got famous because of the talent thay had when they did what they did at the right time. This whole 'sons of the Beatles' thing is assuming that all kids of rock stars and whatever else should be good. Nobody gives a shit if the 'sons of The Beatles' get together except when they would destroy The Beatles' legacy. There is not one reason to think or believe that they would be great together. THEY'RE NOT THE BEATLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's just not that way and it's very very far from the truth. It's one thing to have a family of brothers all be good at the same thing, like the Sutter brothers were in the NHL, and how a family follows suit. Wayne Gretzky's children will never be as good as he was. It just doesn't work that way. It's a horrible horrible assumption.

I agree that timing was a very important factor in the magnitude of the success of the Beatles, the Stones. Timing is always a factor. With the 50th anniversary of the Beatles first trip to America (in 1964) coming up the timing couldn't be more perfect for some form of Beatles family reunion. Like I said, in my perfect world Paul and Ringo would be part of this reunion. So would the sons. And also, like I said, nothing is "automatic', however, each of the sons has shown a reasonable amount of ability. A year working together and they would be ready to rock the world. Look, we can go around and around on this subject but the bottom line is that any form of Beatles family reunion in the form of concerts or even new music would be huge. HUGE! Wish I could promote it.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 3, 2012 21:58

Natlanta
u ready? i'm ready.

Dang Natlanta! Just how big a party you throwin'? Is it OK if I drive down from Knoxville? How big a spread will you put out when/if the Falcons get to the Super Bowl?

Have fun!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 42

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1812
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home