Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Live Rambler
Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: August 18, 2016 05:56

Have the boys ever performed this song anywhere near the original tempo? Ya ya's is probably closest and my favorite version. Brussels is most people's fav but I put behind Ya ya's. I also actually love the 1989 Atlantic City version too...Keith on his 'A' game that show.

Re: Live Rambler
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: August 18, 2016 13:04

Hyde Park Live sounds closer to the original slower tempo - to my ears. In years past they usually sped it up more. Gotta agree that two versions 20 years apart are my faves - 1969 and 1989.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 18, 2016 13:29

Brusselles Rambler is the best I can think of.
Yaya's is great for sure and the studio rambler got its own unique magic.

Not sure about the tempo,but Hyde Park might be the closest one concerning this aspect.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 18, 2016 13:36

They did incredible versions on the last tour, especially Chile is outstanding.

Most of the recent year´s renditions for me are much more enjoyable than any MR-version in the 70s and 80s. I think they do it better without MT. Just more punch and aggression. Haven´t listened to the original studio version for years, MR is one of those songs that work better in a live setting.

Date: August 18, 2016 14:04

This one has some of the same groove the original has, imo.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 18, 2016 14:36

Nothing for me beats the original studio version of Midnight Rambler.

There is something about that beautiful mid-paced tempo that has utter evil coursing through its veins with a potential for danger at every turn of it's fabulous four part work out.

From the initial rolling rhythm that so cooly rocks from side to side like a car driving to the scene of this particular crime; to the step up in pace which to me is the Midnight Rambler entering the property; to the slow rhythmic break down which is the murder of the victim to finally the fast, furious and frenetic return to the original rhythm as the felon escapes.

Had it been ready in 68 this track would have sounded perfect in the film Performance.

In the Stones' top 5 songs as far as I'm concerned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-18 14:53 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: August 18, 2016 19:11

I first heard the Hyde Park Version and I still think this is the most intresting, but the Ya Yas Version is probably the most listenable. Also like many of the Down under Versions from Asia '73 and of course Altamont...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 18, 2016 19:55

The most remarkable version must be the one from the Enmore Theatre, Sydney on Feb 18 2003 as it opened the show.

Imagine being at that gig, the Stones come on and you're expecting Start Me Up. Then suddenly Jagger begins to wail that blues harp of his and there is disbelief in the crowd. It can't be, can it? - and boom - straight into this absolute classic.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: August 18, 2016 21:34

This doesn't answer the initial question about tempo but my favorite is the one off Ladies and Gentleman from '72. Its the Stones at their most depraved and decadent. Jagger writhering on stage drenched in sweat, the rest of the band deep into the groove. It's haunting and beautiful and brilliant and quintessential Stones.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 18, 2016 21:57

I think like No Use in Crying they have yet to perform it live.

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: August 18, 2016 22:07

HMS
I think they do it better without MT. Just more punch and aggression

Listen to Brussels 1973, reminds me of Joe Frazier. drinking smiley

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 18, 2016 22:12

Generally speaking, the '69 performances are very sexy and to me exciting. Later performances are merely exciting. The band would cop to faster tempos but it is a cheap thrill aimed to please. I prefer the stealthy nature of the earlier performances. It fits the lyrics. The Brussels performance is impressive for other reasons, but it makes me feel like I've been run over by a truck. The song is obliterated and the sexiness lost.

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: August 18, 2016 22:37

Silver Dagger
Nothing for me beats the original studio version of Midnight Rambler.

There is something about that beautiful mid-paced tempo that has utter evil coursing through its veins with a potential for danger at every turn of it's fabulous four part work out.

From the initial rolling rhythm that so cooly rocks from side to side like a car driving to the scene of this particular crime; to the step up in pace which to me is the Midnight Rambler entering the property; to the slow rhythmic break down which is the murder of the victim to finally the fast, furious and frenetic return to the original rhythm as the felon escapes.

Totally agree with you Silver Dagger.

I will add : THIS Midnight Rambler + Gimme Shelter + Monkey Man + You Got The Silver. They are the reason why Let It Bleed is my favorite album by any artist or group. In french, we say "quelle classe !".

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: August 18, 2016 22:46

A "trademark" of Let it Bleed's rambler is a smooth, not-too-noticable changing tempo after the bridge when they are back in the original structure of the song, It's loose, and you don't notice too much they are increasing the tempo at 6' 8", because it's little by little

[www.youtube.com]

Oakland 1969 rambler is in the same spirit, when changing at 6'28" - slow change of pace

[www.youtube.com]

By contrast, and different from studio version, 1973 rambler insists on "smashing your ears" when changing the tempo "at once". It HAS to be noticable, very much so, to give full excitement, and put the fan into the structure of the song

Listen to Brussels at 11'56
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 18, 2016 23:56

The studio is such a multi layered, evil song that it would be hard to reproduce live. However, it is the song I look for on all the DVDs I've bought, and yes the Brussels CD version is hot. There are many great versions over the years. It kind of reflects where the band is at, they're one chance to rip out of the war horses straight jacket and turn the tempo up on the band. I even like the version from China off 'The Biggest Bang'.

Date: August 19, 2016 00:37

It's nice to see some love here for the studio version. I've always felt it was overlooked. However, MR is perhaps the ONE song that never fails to become a Magnum Opus in concert. I don't think I ever heard a live version that I didn't like. True, some are better than others, but I've never heard a really bad live version.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: August 19, 2016 00:59

Silver Dagger
The most remarkable version must be the one from the Enmore Theatre, Sydney on Feb 18 2003 as it opened the show.

Imagine being at that gig, the Stones come on and you're expecting Start Me Up. Then suddenly Jagger begins to wail that blues harp of his and there is disbelief in the crowd. It can't be, can it? - and boom - straight into this absolute classic.
I was at the Enmore and it didn't start with the usual Jagger harp. Rather, Keith came out, turned to Charlie and Said "you ready?" Then he launched straight into the riff. It was awesome!!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 19, 2016 01:44

HMS
They did incredible versions on the last tour, especially Chile is outstanding.

Most of the recent year´s renditions for me are much more enjoyable than any MR-version in the 70s and 80s. I think they do it better without MT. Just more punch and aggression. Haven´t listened to the original studio version for years, MR is one of those songs that work better in a live setting.

confused smiley better without Taylor? I think not. 1972 and 1973 Rambler versions are among the greatest live performances ever by anyone. The Stones have never came close to anything they did live during those years.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 19, 2016 01:49

HonkeyTonkFlash
It's nice to see some love here for the studio version. I've always felt it was overlooked. However, MR is perhaps the ONE song that never fails to become a Magnum Opus in concert. I don't think I ever heard a live version that I didn't like. True, some are better than others, but I've never heard a really bad live version.

Just to be petty, I heard the L.A. Forum '75 version the other night and it seemed a little silly. Then they didn't play it in '78, or '81.

Date: August 19, 2016 01:59

24FPS
HonkeyTonkFlash

Just to be petty, I heard the L.A. Forum '75 version the other night and it seemed a little silly. Then they didn't play it in '78, or '81.

I'll grant that the 1975 versions were sloppier but they still rocked, in my opinion.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 19, 2016 02:51

DandelionPowderman
This one has some of the same groove the original has, imo.

[www.youtube.com]

Wow. It's definitely about as close as I've heard with a live performance. Speed sounds about right too.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: August 19, 2016 12:21

HonkeyTonkFlash

Definitely never heard a live Version that wasn´t hot.
Of course, the versions from YaYa and Brüssel are all time faves. For a long time I thought that Rambler Live definitely requires Mick Taylor. But since the release of Olympia and Brixton those version are very close to YaYa, Büssel and of course Roundhouse71.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 19, 2016 12:32

The Stones have so often proved that MR doenst require MT. Countless times.
You only have to open your ears to know it.

Not even his acoustic-guitar-strumming on live-versions of Satisfaction is necessary for a stellar rendition if you´d ask me.smoking smiley

Four-Flicks & Bigger-Bang-DVD-versions of MR are also very good. Just like someone said, there isnt a bad one.

Date: August 19, 2016 12:33

I even like the "Bad" versions. The ones on a far aay audience recording, where you can't hear Charlie e.g., and the jam doesn't get going, or where they miss the big "BOMPS" in slow part - I always like this song. It's a monster.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: August 19, 2016 15:06

HMS
I think they do it better without MT.

-Yeah, MT is such a bad influence on them!thumbs up

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 19, 2016 15:17

Silver Dagger

That would have been so cool to be there for that start of a show ,for me the closest to that would be 9/20/06 when the Glimmers hit the stage and Keith played the opening chords to Paint It Black .Quite the unexpected start to the fall leg of the 2006 bang tour and what a show it was with Sway coming at us also !

Date: August 19, 2016 15:18

The Bangalore Rambler '03 wasn't maybe the best but regarding the circumstances a specific one...

Date: August 19, 2016 15:19

shortfatfanny
The Bangalore Rambler '03 wasn't maybe the best but regarding the circumstances a specific one...

Dripping away... smiling smiley

Date: August 19, 2016 15:28

DandelionPowderman
shortfatfanny

Dripping away... smiling smiley

Totally dripped...smiling smiley

Date: August 19, 2016 15:29

Just listened to LA Friday last night and I only got one complaint about Rambler. It kind of goes on too long. But if you were actually there and caught up in the moment it was probably mesmerizing. Sitting home in your living room - well, it ain't my favorite version for home listening.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1633
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home