Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Candidates To Replace Mick Taylor When He Quit The Stones
Posted by: Brue ()
Date: September 6, 2011 19:34

I know that Wayne Perkins and obviously Ronnie were the main guys to replace Taylor when he abruptly quit the band, but I read today on Peter Frampton's Facebook page - his reply - was that Frampton was one of five or six on a list of replacements.

His facebook page is entertaining, because he answers people directly. One guy sent him a note asking if he could sign one of his signature model guitars. He not only signed it, but he played it for a whole set that night.

Too bad the Stones are too big to do that. How entertaining would that be???

Kyle Ross
Mr frampton,
Is it true that you auditioned for the rolling stones after mick taylor left?
2 hours ago · Like ·
2 people like this.

Peter Frampton No, I was on a short list of about 5 or 6. I later asked Mick if this was true and he confirmed it.
about an hour ago · Like · 1 person0

Re: Candidates To Replace Mick Taylor When He Quit The Stones
Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: September 6, 2011 19:51

I think Robert Johnson was a candidate as well, besides Harvey Mandel and Jeff Beck too.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 6, 2011 19:56

I was always intrigued by the the thought of Rory Gallagher.

It was never going to happen [and we wouldn't have the albums or memories of all his post 74 solo work if it had] but to hear him play with the Stones would have been very interesting.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 6, 2011 20:02

It's a shame they didn't consider Dick Taylor at the time. He wasn't in The Pretty Things for most of the 70s, so (I'm guessing) he was available...

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: September 6, 2011 20:06

I was in Ballyshannon, Ireland some years back (birthplace of Rory Gallagher), In a small museum there dedicated to Rory it was claimed that he turned the Stones down after he was offered the position left vacant by Mick Taylor.

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: September 6, 2011 20:17

Rory with the Stones... Would have been the perfect replacement for Mick.

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: September 6, 2011 21:02

DartfordRenegade
I was in Ballyshannon, Ireland some years back (birthplace of Rory Gallagher), In a small museum there dedicated to Rory it was claimed that he turned the Stones down after he was offered the position left vacant by Mick Taylor.

Really? Whose claim was this?

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: September 7, 2011 09:45

yorkey
Rory with the Stones... Would have been the perfect replacement for Mick.
No, he was better as a 'solo' artist with his own band. His style did not suit the band, and he was far too self-confident to fit in. I am glad he did not join (although a one-off gig would have been great).
A similiar thing would have happened if Eric Clapton had ever joined the band.

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: September 7, 2011 23:51

uhbuhgullayew
DartfordRenegade

Really? Whose claim was this?

It was an old article in a music paper that was on display in the museum. It was several years back so I can't remember what paper or who wrote the article. Probably one of the UK music papers of the time like Sounds,Melody Maker, Record Mirror or the New Musical Express.

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: September 8, 2011 00:12

I read that Hank Marvin was in the running.

Date: September 8, 2011 01:11

It surprises me when I see the supposed list. Because if these lists with big names on them are for real, drawn up by the Stones, then, yes I am surprised.
I would think Jagger and Keith would know about their own band chemistry, and that it is not about a great guitarist, but who will fit in.
So - Rory Gallagher, Peter Frampton, Steve Marriott, Mick Ronson, Jeff Beck...all too strong and dominant.
Was it a list drawn up by Jagger?

Date: September 8, 2011 01:28

Palace Revolution 2000
It surprises me when I see the supposed list. Because if these lists with big names on them are for real, drawn up by the Stones, then, yes I am surprised.
I would think Jagger and Keith would know about their own band chemistry, and that it is not about a great guitarist, but who will fit in.
So - Rory Gallagher, Peter Frampton, Steve Marriott, Mick Ronson, Jeff Beck...all too strong and dominant.
Was it a list drawn up by Jagger?

Out of these lot I think Steve Marriott would've fit the best musically, though perhaps not as a personality. After all, Ronnie Wood effectively replaced Steve Marriott on guitar in The Small Faces.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: September 8, 2011 01:39

Gotta assume that Keiths stated preference for Steve Marriott was simply to rankle Jagger- hey lets bring in a legendary singer/frontman to play guitar. Would have been interesting, though. Stu and Glyn Johns were pushing for Rory if memory serves- not sure that would have been a good fit.....Ronnie Wood was the best choice at the time- just wish he'd stuck with the fat crunchy "Pool Hall Richard" type sound he was making at the end of the Faces....

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: September 8, 2011 02:02

Of all of the candidates who were well known, Ronnie IMHO was maybe the least threatening to Mick, Keith or the band. Just a fun guy, as much about the party as the music..probably not going to push for writing credits or show-up Keef. No big ego. Not a singer (although he has certainly tried). He would not rock the boat.

And he was British, unlike Wayne Perkins (whose work I love on B&cool smiley.

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: September 8, 2011 03:05

Robert Johnson was long gone (he died in August 1938 at the famous age of death that is 27).

In Massimo Bonanno's The Rolling Stones Chronicle the following guitarists were mentioned (besides Ronnie Wood who ultimately replaced Taylor in early 1976) as probable replacements for Mick T. (Bonanno's history of the Stones has this taken from the 1/18/75 edition of Melody Maker):

Guitarists (listed in order from most likely to least likely):
Mick Ronson (David Bowie's session guitarist) (5 stars)
Jeff Beck (4 stars)
Peter Frampton (ex-Humble Pie) (4 stars)
Steve Hillage (4 stars)
Dave "Clem" Clempson (Humble Pie) (2 stars)
Ry Cooder (1 star)
Robben Ford (1 star)
Jorma Kaukonen (ex-Jefferson Airplane) (1 star)
Andy Summers (later of The Police) (1 star)

I also think Eric Clapton could've been a candidate.

But seriously ... do you think that Mick Ronson - of David Bowie's backing band - could've replaced Mick Taylor within the Rolling Stones?

~Ben

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: September 8, 2011 04:22

I wish they chose Wayne Perkins...He's a very good player. Much like Mick Taylor

Soulsurvivor

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 8, 2011 05:40

Wayne Perkins would've been refreshing -- I cherish his solo on "Worried About You".

Date: September 8, 2011 10:41

roryfaninva
Gotta assume that Keiths stated preference for Steve Marriott was simply to rankle Jagger- hey lets bring in a legendary singer/frontman to play guitar. Would have been interesting, though.

Could've been good vocally too. I can easily imagine Steve singing those high harmonies on 'Honky Tonk Women' & 'Rocks Off'.

roryfaninva
Ronnie Wood was the best choice at the time- just wish he'd stuck with the fat crunchy "Pool Hall Richard" type sound he was making at the end of the Faces....

Yes, Ronnie was always more impressive with The Faces... & probably still is.

Date: September 8, 2011 10:53

Sleepy City
roryfaninva
Gotta assume that Keiths stated preference for Steve Marriott was simply to rankle Jagger- hey lets bring in a legendary singer/frontman to play guitar. Would have been interesting, though.

Could've been good vocally too. I can easily imagine Steve singing those high harmonies on 'Honky Tonk Women' & 'Rocks Off'.

roryfaninva
Ronnie Wood was the best choice at the time- just wish he'd stuck with the fat crunchy "Pool Hall Richard" type sound he was making at the end of the Faces....

I think he was just as impressive on the 75/76 tours as he was in the Faces. After that, he changed his sound, and the long solos were long gone. Still like him, though.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 8, 2011 10:55

The Rory Gallagher story is supposedly that he was invited to attend for an 'audition' and he did indeed turn up, but both Keith and Mick had the flu and so kept him hanging around so he went home!

Date: September 8, 2011 11:30

DandelionPowderman
Sleepy City
roryfaninva

roryfaninva

I think he was just as impressive on the 75/76 tours as he was in the Faces. After that, he changed his sound, and the long solos were long gone. Still like him, though.

I guess you're right. I was watching Paris '76 the other day & he's great on that.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 8, 2011 11:38

I actually really don't believe all those lists, and there is certainly no evidence what so ever that any other guitarist other than Wood, Perkins and Mandel was ever truly considered. Sure, any guitarist would claim that he was considered to boost his importance, but none ever was invited to do any sessions. Jeff Beck claimed he was considered, but his jam with the Stones was by all account nothing but a 12 hour walk-in in Rotterdam.

Mathijs

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 8, 2011 12:06

Mathijs
I actually really don't believe all those lists, and there is certainly no evidence what so ever that any other guitarist other than Wood, Perkins and Mandel was ever truly considered. Sure, any guitarist would claim that he was considered to boost his importance, but none ever was invited to do any sessions. Jeff Beck claimed he was considered, but his jam with the Stones was by all account nothing but a 12 hour walk-in in Rotterdam.

Mathijs

"On the right I'm here, thank you. Not that I wouldn't want to experience some of the things that went on with them but I was into speed and detail and gung-ho playing - and the way they were drinking I just don't think it would have worked.
"I thought, 'This is a life of booze and women. Who needs that?' So I caught the next plane out."

Jeff Beck.

Beck's statement seems more reliable to me than Keith at the time, who was hooked and let guests like Beck and Gallagher wait to play, cause he couldn't score dope in Rotterdam or whatever.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 8, 2011 12:28

Amsterdamned
Mathijs

Mathijs

"On the right I'm here, thank you. Not that I wouldn't want to experience some of the things that went on with them but I was into speed and detail and gung-ho playing - and the way they were drinking I just don't think it would have worked.
"I thought, 'This is a life of booze and women. Who needs that?' So I caught the next plane out."

Jeff Beck.

Beck's statement seems more reliable to me than Keith at the time, who was hooked and let guests like Beck and Gallagher wait to play, cause he couldn't score dope in Rotterdam or whatever.

What is reliable about Becks statement? He states the obvious -he jammed with them on a couple of tracks, it didn't work at all and he left. And judging on the hours and hours of tapes we have of the Rotterdam sessions Keith was alive and kicking, not 'scoring dope in Rotterdam'. Gallagher probably never played with the Stones at all. There's nothing but rumours in badly written books. He's not on any of the Rotterdam tapes.

Mathijs

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 8, 2011 12:38

I also don't believe the list, Steve Hillage for example, is an excellent guitarist but not remotely in the style of the Stones...I actually know Steve and will ask him to confirm this or not.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: September 8, 2011 12:46

Anybody who could play, wouldn't have tried to steal limelight and knew how to shut up would have been welcome. I think Ronnie was the right guy and have a hard ime to see somebody like Rory Gallagher, Eric Clapton or Jeff Beck joining.

Date: September 8, 2011 13:14

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-08 13:39 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: September 8, 2011 13:23

In Rorys brothers book he claims Rory jammed with the Stones and a few years later he heard the song that he 'wrote' on the radio...Miss You. I've posted this info here many times in the past. Rory was there however for a couple of days before going to Japan. Detail at www.nzentgraf.de

Nils Lofgren claims to have got the call in 75 too.

Date: September 8, 2011 13:45

The GR
In Rorys brothers book he claims Rory jammed with the Stones and a few years later he heard the song that he 'wrote' on the radio...Miss You. I've posted this info here many times in the past. Rory was there however for a couple of days before going to Japan. Detail at www.nzentgraf.de

Nils Lofgren claims to have got the call in 75 too.

Yep, and Rory told a simular story about their workflow.
Every guitarist is wrong except Keith.
Why not believe Keith indeed.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: September 8, 2011 15:07

Per Donal Gallagher, Rory went to Rotterdam and jammed for a couple days. Ive seen Bill Wyman confirm it in print so it definitely happened. Beyond question.
Not the right guy for the job, at any rate.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1571
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home