Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: In Another Land
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 5, 2011 21:36

Of course the ironic thing about this is that Bill, apart from one incident when he was spiked, never took acid..I'm not sure if the spike was before this song or after.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 5, 2011 23:02

A fantastic slice of psychedelia from one of the Stones' most beautiful and under-rated albums. I love the contrast between Bill's vocals and the soaring choruses on this one. Trippy and wonderful.

Drew

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 6, 2011 04:04

drewmaster
A fantastic slice of psychedelia from one of the Stones' most beautiful and under-rated albums. I love the contrast between Bill's vocals and the soaring choruses on this one. Trippy and wonderful.

Drew

+ 1

I am usually not a fan of Bill's vocals, but here it adds a nice flavour to the song that would be missed if Mick had sung lead.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: September 6, 2011 04:28

retired_dog
drewmaster

Drew

+ 1

I am usually not a fan of Bill's vocals, but here it adds a nice flavour to the song that would be missed if Mick had sung lead.

Agreed. And having Bill on lead, allows Mick to pop in on background vocals. I particularly like the bit right after the line about trumpets.

I'm also a fan of the Beatles, but I like this song far more than any of their psychedelic tracks, like Lucy in the Sky.

-R

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-06 04:30 by Reagan.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 6, 2011 04:47

NICOS
Nice song, pity they didn't released more song written by Bill think he might have grown more as a song writer

oh yes...Je Suis Un Rock Star just exemplifies the incredible evolution! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 6, 2011 04:50

Sleepy City
The Stones
It's not too bad, although I think it would've been much better with Jagger on lead vocals.

I think I could say the same for pretty much every RS song though (certainly rockers like 'Happy', 'Before They Make Me Run', 'Little T&A' & 'I Wanna Hold You').

I like Keith's studio vocals on these...but in concert, agree with you.

Date: September 6, 2011 13:22

Reagan
retired_dog
drewmaster

Drew

+ 1

Agreed. And having Bill on lead, allows Mick to pop in on background vocals. I particularly like the bit right after the line about trumpets.

I'm also a fan of the Beatles, but I like this song far more than any of their psychedelic tracks, like Lucy in the Sky.

-R

That repetition of the "trumpet" line is very nice but I am not sure if that is Jagger. It sounds almost like it comes from a remote take anyway, and left in there. Sounds more like Keith than Mick, if we have to pick a Stone.. It doesn't sound like Bill himself because it's too assured.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 6, 2011 13:36

Palace Revolution 2000

That repetition of the "trumpet" line is very nice but I am not sure if that is Jagger. It sounds almost like it comes from a remote take anyway, and left in there. Sounds more like Keith than Mick, if we have to pick a Stone.. It doesn't sound like Bill himself because it's too assured.

Or possibly Steve Marriott or Ronnie Lane.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 7, 2011 01:07

An awful song best forgotten. The Stones don't do psychedelic music well at all and Bill should never sing.

Date: September 7, 2011 02:42

sweetcharmedlife
An awful song best forgotten. The Stones don't do psychedelic music well at all and Bill should never sing.

Nonsense!

They did psych better than some of the more celebrated, supposed proper psych bands. Citadel, 2000 Man, 2000 Light Years From Home, We Love You, Child of the Moon etc...

They all kick fukkin arse! smoking smiley

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: September 7, 2011 02:46

His Majesty
Nonsense!

They did psych better than some of the more celebrated, supposed proper psych bands. Citadel, 2000 Man, 2000 Light Years From Home, We Love You, Child of the Moon etc...

+1 thumbs up

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 7, 2011 03:59

His Majesty
sweetcharmedlife

Nonsense!

I don't know man. I just loaded this one into my Ipod and heard it a couple of times last week. I had to check to see who it was. I don't care who did it. I just don't think this song works.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 28, 2013 15:59

Thanks to Rockman for the original scan of this article - it seems to suggest that In Another Land was the first time Nicky Hopkins had worked for the band:

"Recording commenced with only Bill and Charlie present...I did that with Nicky, Charlie, and two of the Small Faces...Once engaged, Nicky Hopkins became a key element in (TSMR)..."

Looking up references, various sites say that Nicky also worked on Between The Buttons, but I can't find a BtB track which credits him. So what was the first Stones track Nicky worked on?

Posted by: howled ()
Date: February 28, 2013 16:13

Bills psychedelic song is Ugghhhhhhh!

Nowhere near this psychedelic number

Date: February 28, 2013 16:35

We Love You was the first stones release to feature Nicky.

It's just meaning engaged in album sessions not In Another Land in particular. Bill forgets that Keith played acoustic and Brian mellotron during the sessions for his song.

Date: February 28, 2013 16:39

Love it! A great piece of melodic psychedelia, brilliantly produced thumbs up

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: February 28, 2013 17:11

Nico Zentgraf mentions the possibility that Nicky played piano on Something happened
to me yesterday and Cool, calm, collected. Other sources mention Jack Nitzsche.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 28, 2013 17:29

Cool, Calm & Collected-Nicky Hopkins

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: February 28, 2013 17:43

Jack Nitzsche according to: [timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 28, 2013 17:44

timeisonourside gives Jack Nitzsche for both CCC and Something Happened...so the first undisputed one is We Love You? I thought he'd been around for a while before TSMR, but that article seemed to say otherwise.

So that tremendous angry piano intro on We Love You is Nicky, although the video appears to show Keith playing it? Interesting.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 28, 2013 17:52

Bill's book Stone Alone (page 400) states that Nicky played piano on Between The Buttons.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 28, 2013 18:32

The Stones
It's not too bad, although I think it would've been much better with Jagger on lead vocals.

Perish the thought!

I love this track, but as someone said, why did they issue it as "Bill Wyman's In Another Land"?

Now waiting for Track Talk for Downtown Suzie!

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: February 28, 2013 19:18

I get early Pink Floyd vibes from this. Doesn't Bill sound a bit like Syd Barrett?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 28, 2013 22:42

Silver Dagger

It's a shame he didn't write any more songs like this. He did pursue his psychedelic yearnings in his production of UK psych group The End.

Here's a single off their only album, called Shades Of Orange...

sorry to disagree, but i disagree ... those songs like Shades of Orange just aren't that good. In Another Land is good, I like it as a novelty track, but as someone else pointed out, it really doesn't compare to 95% of the jagger-richards tracks.

I own all Bill's albums - he has some good moments on each, but pale extremely far in comparison to Stones songs.

Date: February 28, 2013 22:43

2000 LYFH
Bill's book Stone Alone (page 400) states that Nicky played piano on Between The Buttons.

It's just a lil mis-remembering by some people involved and/or wrong assumptions by those not involved after the fact that's gotten repeated. Eg, ALO seems to think Nicky might have played on Ruby Tuesday. grinning smiley

Some of the info in Bill's books is just taken from the old music paper/magazine articles.

Nicky himself has said We Love You was his first stones release and articles from the time suggest much the same.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-28 22:55 by His Majesty.

Date: February 28, 2013 22:45

Green Lady
timeisonourside gives Jack Nitzsche for both CCC and Something Happened...so the first undisputed one is We Love You? I thought he'd been around for a while before TSMR, but that article seemed to say otherwise.

So that tremendous angry piano intro on We Love You is Nicky, although the video appears to show Keith playing it? Interesting.

Keith is shown playing a mellotron.

Cool, Calm, Collected was recorded at RCA in August 1966. Nicky doesn't play on it nor on any officially released track from Between The Buttons sessions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-28 22:47 by His Majesty.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 1, 2013 02:23

His Majesty
2000 LYFH

It's just a lil mis-remembering by some people involved and/or wrong assumptions by those not involved after the fact that's gotten repeated. Eg, ALO seems to think Nicky might have played on Ruby Tuesday. grinning smiley

Some of the info in Bill's books is just taken from the old music paper/magazine articles.

Nicky himself has said We Love You was his first stones release and articles from the time suggest much the same.

Sure, his first Stones release as a single. True, some info from Bill's books is taken from secondary sources, but just the archival stuff. And Bill was there, in the studio, in The Stones. A "little mis-remembering from people involved". You credit Nicky's memory, and I credit Bill's. NH played on a couple of minor album tracks on BTB and We Love You was the first single he played on, a few months later, having "mis-remembered" the forgettable track or two from BTB out of the thousands of others he played on around that time. Besides, those "articles from the time" were just written by journalists who didn't know what they were talking about, because they weren't there like Bill Wyman was.

Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: January 19, 2023 11:35

I wonder how Mick & Keith felt when Bill's first ever released song for The Rolling Stones was released as a US A-side? By way of contrast, the more prolific George Harrison had to wait until 1969!

Whatever, I still find it one of the strongest tracks on the consistently wonderful TSMR (which would've been even better with the addition of 'We Love You' and 'Dandelion'!).

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 19, 2023 12:25

His Majesty

...They did psych better than some of the more celebrated, supposed proper psych bands. Citadel, 2000 Man, 2000 Light Years From Home, We Love You, Child of the Moon etc...

Yes they did ...but much of it is still a load of trippy b*llocks, be it from the Stones or anybody else grinning smiley

Date: January 19, 2023 13:39

Spud
His Majesty

...They did psych better than some of the more celebrated, supposed proper psych bands. Citadel, 2000 Man, 2000 Light Years From Home, We Love You, Child of the Moon etc...

Yes they did ...but much of it is still a load of trippy b*llocks, be it from the Stones or anybody else grinning smiley

Even the JJF studio version has some of the psych vibe.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1944
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home