Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Track Talk: In Another Land
Posted by: René ()
Date: September 5, 2011 10:27

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

In Another Land
(Bill Wyman)

Olympic Sound Studios, London, UK, July 13, 1967

Bill Wyman - lead vocals, bass, snoring
Mick Jagger - backing vocals
Keith Richards - acoustic guitar, electric guitar, backing vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Brian Jones - mellotron
Nicky Hopkins - piano, organ, harpsichord
Steve Marriott - acoustic guitar, backing vocals
Ronnie Lane - backing vocals

In another land, where the breeze and the trees and the flowers were blue
I stood and held your hand and the grass grew high and the feathers floated by
I stood and held your hand and nobody else's hand will ever do, nobody else will do

Then I awoke, was this some kind of joke?
Much to my surprise I opened my eyes

We walked across the sand and the sea and the sky and the castles were blue
I stood and held your hand and the spray flew high and the feathers floated by
I stood and held your hand and nobody else's hand will ever do, nobody else will do

Much to my surprise I opened my eyes

We heard the trumpets blow and the sky turned red when I accidently said
That I didn't know how I came to be here, not fast asleep in bed
I stood and held your hand and nobody else's hand will ever do, nobody else’s hand

I opened my eyes, much to my surprise

Produced by Bill Wyman

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Their Satanic Majesties Request” LP
(Decca TXS 103) UK, December 8, 1967

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-11 16:20 by René.

Re: Track Talk: In Another Land
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 5, 2011 10:34

Fantastic! The 3rd best track on TSMR (after SAR & 2000LYFH)... & better than anything on Sgt. Pepper. smoking smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 5, 2011 10:35

I've always liked it. Thought Jagger had a mystic voice though when I heard for the first time ...grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: September 5, 2011 10:41

Didn't Steve Mariott and Ronnie Lane play on this one?

Date: September 5, 2011 10:42

DandelionPowderman

yep, comb and washboard...

2 1 2 0

Date: September 5, 2011 10:48

DandelionPowderman

I've always thought it sounded live Steve on backing vocals during the chorus... confirmation anyone?

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 5, 2011 11:09

Nico Zentgraf names Marriott on guitar and backing vocals and Lane on backing vocals.
The site timeisonourside.com also mentioned these small faces.
I wouldn't know what source they used to come to this conclusion.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 5, 2011 11:12

Nice song, pity they didn't released more song written by Bill think he might have grown more as a song writer

Date: September 5, 2011 11:18

NICOS
Nice song, pity they didn't released more song written by Bill think he might have grown more as a song writer

Yes, 'Goodbye Girl' & 'Downtown Suzie' also show he had a lot of promise as a songwriter. Maybe if Jagger-Richards (& Oldham) had encouraged him as Lennon-McCartney encouraged Harrison & Starr...

Date: September 5, 2011 11:26

Not bad......................

Date: September 5, 2011 11:31

Ha Ha Funny Guy...Love it...that's intressts in Stones music....

2 1 2 0

Date: September 5, 2011 11:38

April 2011...............

The Suoras - In Another Land

Date: September 5, 2011 11:42

It's not a bad song at all. Lovely just following the changes along with the keyboards. For me Bill's lead vocals keep the song from reaching the higher levels. With either Mick or Keith doing the BU vox in chorus, the song immediately gets so much better.

Posted by: IfYouStartMeUp ()
Date: September 5, 2011 12:06

I like this one a lot.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 5, 2011 12:52

The outtakes of In Another Land feature Nicky Hopkins on piano, harpsichord and mellotron. According to Bill Wyman Steve Marriot is on acoustic and 12-string acoustic, and Jagger, Richards, Steve Marriot and Ronnie Lane did backup vocals.

Mathijs

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 5, 2011 13:33

The outtakes of In Another Land feature Nicky Hopkins on piano, harpsichord and mellotron. According to Bill Wyman Steve Marriot is on acoustic and 12-string acoustic, and Jagger, Richards, Steve Marriot and Ronnie Lane did backup vocals.

<Mathijs>

...And that's not the entire story! The lovely weather in London July 1967 gave this "acid-drenched" sing-along an extra dimension:

Source: [www.london-weather.eu]

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: September 5, 2011 13:59

This song effectively makes Bill Wyman the 3rd lead vocalist in Rolling Stones. Now that he's no longer with the band since 1991 or so, they are down to 2 lead vocalists. Si, si, il est un rock star, mais unfortunately, the song comes across as rather weak when compared to the Jagger/Richard(s) compositions of the era (but which wouldn't ?)

However, the 3rd lead vocalist's role with the Stones should be vacated again. Ronnie already has done his share of songwriting contributions with the band and surely would continue to do so if need be. It would be nice if he were given a song to sing on the next Rolling Stones album, just like they gave one to Bill on TSMR.
Of course, that new one should be a new Jagger/Richards/Wood composition.

As a solo artist, Bill peaked during his Rhythm Kings days. "In Another Land" was just the humble beginning.

Date: September 5, 2011 16:02

billwebster
Ronnie already has done his share of songwriting contributions with the band and surely would continue to do so if need be. It would be nice if he were given a song to sing on the next Rolling Stones album, just like they gave one to Bill on TSMR.

God no, Ronnie's "singing" is even worse than Keith's. I know Bill wasn't (& isn't) a great singer either, but that one-off fit the album perfectly.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 5, 2011 16:15

Sleepy City
billwebster
Ronnie already has done his share of songwriting contributions with the band and surely would continue to do so if need be. It would be nice if he were given a song to sing on the next Rolling Stones album, just like they gave one to Bill on TSMR.

God no, Ronnie's "singing" is even worse than Keith's. I know Bill wasn't (& isn't) a great singer either, but that one-off fit the album perfectly.

I agree Ron is not a great singer.
Keith on the other hand did great vocals in the past: it's a part of the Rolling Stones trademark.

Date: September 5, 2011 16:18

Amsterdamned
Sleepy City
billwebster

I agree Ron is not a great singer.
Keith on the other hand did great vocals in the past: it's a part of the Rolling Stones trademark.

I agree too, but since 'Dirty Work' we've had too many of them. One Keith vocal per album is enough for me.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 5, 2011 16:27

Date: September 5, 2011 16:41

Deltics

Thanks! I almost forgot that this was released as a single in the USA. Wish there was a promo video.

Posted by: IfYouStartMeUp ()
Date: September 5, 2011 17:05

Interesting that the cover of the single says "Bill Wyman's In Another Land" and then goes on to make a further distinction between "Bill Wyman" and "The Rolling Stones"... I know Bill wrote it but surely it was written with the intention of it being a Rolling Stones song?

Oh well, no big deal, Bill is a great musician so the more exposure he gets the better.

And I also agree with the people who said they should have let Bill write more songs. It would have been interesting to see what he came up with.

Date: September 5, 2011 17:09

I disagree about Ronnie's vocals. I like the studio performances a lot. It seems that working w/ Bernard made him a better vocalist. "Slide on This" and "I Feel Like Playing" are really good ragged rock'n roll vocals.
It's Keith's vocals I don't like anymore. wait - it's his Stones vocals I don't like. Whenever he goes solo they are outstanding. But w/ Stones he a) is always in some ballad, and b) has adopted a bizarre accent for these slow deliveries.

Date: September 5, 2011 17:19

Ronnie's vocals on IFLP is the best he has done since his first album, imo.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 5, 2011 19:31

Aah the song that should have had the title "I Wanna Be George Harrison". Only one word describes it: Ass.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: September 5, 2011 19:52

JumpingKentFlash
Aah the song that should have had the title "I Wanna Be George Harrison". Only one word describes it: Ass.

What George Harrison song do you think inspired this? The only one I can think of that is vaguely similar is 'Blue Jay Way', recorded and released after 'In Another Land' as far as I'm aware...

It certainly doesn't sound like 'Love Me To' or 'Within You Without You'... may be you're thinking of 'Gomper' instead of 'In Another Land'? confused smiley

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: September 5, 2011 20:00

It's not too bad, although I think it would've been much better with Jagger on lead vocals.

Date: September 5, 2011 20:05

The Stones
It's not too bad, although I think it would've been much better with Jagger on lead vocals.

I think I could say the same for pretty much every RS song though (certainly rockers like 'Happy', 'Before They Make Me Run', 'Little T&A' & 'I Wanna Hold You').

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 5, 2011 21:22

A pretty definitive slice of UK psychedelia which seems like it was inspired by Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett in particular.

UK psychedelia was generally preoccupied with childlike fantasies and a return to innocence and this is a great example.

It's a shame he didn't write any more songs like this. He did pursue his psychedelic yearnings in his production of UK psych group The End.

Here's a single off their only album, called Shades Of Orange.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-05 21:23 by Silver Dagger.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1580
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home