Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I Say Yeah! to She Said Yeah
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: September 4, 2011 14:32

Someone on this message board said this song was pure energy, and it really is. This is what the Rolling Stones music is all about: great singing by Jagger, great guitar work by Keith, and more than anything else, wonderful chemistry in the group. I would love to hear this song on the B-stage or maybe even as the opening song for the fiftieth anniversary tour (which is inevitable). If this song does not get the crowd going, then nothing will.

Re: I Say Yeah! to She Said Yeah
Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: September 4, 2011 14:41

Yes, great song would be a killer live.
or how about the opening 3 tracks from the British release of Out of Our Heads.

She Said Yeah
Mercy Mercy
Hitch Hike
as a 'B' stage triple.

IMO one of the best opening salvo's to a Stones album.

Date: September 4, 2011 14:46

The lyrics, and the spacing of them is a b*tch though.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 4, 2011 15:06

The lyrics websites have conflicting credits as to who wrote this tune.

Credit varies between Christy-Bono (presumably Sonny)-Jackson.
One of those sites even gives credit to "Sonny Christy" as if Sonny Bono once went by a different surname. confused smiley

Anyone have better info on this?

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: September 4, 2011 15:44

Edith, the song is written by Sonny Bono and Roddy Jackson for Larry Williams
at Art Rupe's Specialty label. Williams a singer in the Little Richard style is
best known for the R&B hits Short Fat Fanny and Bony Moronie

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 4, 2011 15:47

Thanks, Sohoe! thumbs up

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 4, 2011 16:32

Sohoe
Williams a singer in the Little Richard style is
best known for the R&B hits Short Fat Fanny and Bony Moronie

Also 3 Beatles covers (Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Slow Down, Bad Boy).

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 4, 2011 20:12

PAUL McCARTNEY on including She Said Yeah on his album RUN DEVIL RUN: "It's a Larry Williams song and it is my favourite of his songs. He did some other good stuff like Bony Moronie but this was always a song I loved and wanted to get around to doing. I remember turning Mick Jagger onto it and I think the Stones did a version of it. There were two songs I turned Mick onto that the Stones have done. One was She Said Yeah and the other was Ain't Too Proud To Beg. Mick would deny it -- 'Wot? Never saw him, never met him' - but I distinctly remember having him up into a little music room and playing it to him. He loved it and he went and did it. We've messed around with the track a little bit, but it is sort of like my memory of the original."

[abbeyrd.best.vwh.net]

Date: September 4, 2011 20:21

Title5Take1
PAUL McCARTNEY on including She Said Yeah on his album RUN DEVIL RUN: "It's a Larry Williams song and it is my favourite of his songs. He did some other good stuff like Bony Moronie but this was always a song I loved and wanted to get around to doing. I remember turning Mick Jagger onto it and I think the Stones did a version of it. There were two songs I turned Mick onto that the Stones have done. One was She Said Yeah and the other was Ain't Too Proud To Beg. Mick would deny it -- 'Wot? Never saw him, never met him' - but I distinctly remember having him up into a little music room and playing it to him. He loved it and he went and did it. We've messed around with the track a little bit, but it is sort of like my memory of the original."

[abbeyrd.best.vwh.net]

Maybe... but as the song was released on The Animals first album in October 1964 there's also a good chance Mick heard the song via this (that's if he didn't already know the original). As for 'Ain't Too Proud To Beg', it was a medium-sized UK hit as soon as it was released, so it's probable that Paul & Mick heard it around the same time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-04 20:30 by Sleepy City.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 4, 2011 22:41

This Martin Scorsese-directed Chanel commercial uses SHE SAID YEAH. It's been posted elsewhere on this board, but it's appropriate for this thread, too:

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: September 5, 2011 02:22

Bill's fuzz bass makes this track great.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 5, 2011 02:46

Great raw song ....love it

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 5, 2011 02:56

Great proto punk version by the Stones. Like a blast of cold water on the face that demands that you jump in place and bang head. LOVE IT!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 5, 2011 03:00

NICOS
Great raw song ....love it

Too bad the Stones TV appearance was shot in color, but no longer exists that way. Wow. That band has always had ears for an obscure song that they could juice up and call their own. I guess Harlem Shuffle was the last good cover. They turned 'She Said Yeah' into hyperpunk. A good 10 years ahead of its time.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 5, 2011 03:53

For original demo of She Said Yeah penned by
Roddy Jackson & Don Christy( Sonny Bono ) ... check out

Roddy Jackson - Central Valley Fireball - ACE CDCHD 1161

ROCKMAN

Date: September 5, 2011 03:56

OK he age some years.............but still rocking

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 5, 2011 04:01

Even mentions something about Stones at start of clip ....

Maybe something about Stones doin' a cover of his tune.....

ROCKMAN

Date: September 5, 2011 06:40

That clip Roddy is fantastic! He is still really into it, and blasts it out with a snarl. Great stuff! Thanks for posting.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 5, 2011 08:25

The thing with Stones and their covers is that they always did a version that's better than the original... please show me one example where this is not true ..smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: September 5, 2011 08:38

I Can't Get Next To You. Al Green's version is unbeatable. Get Up STand Up, terrible! Marley was probably rolling in his grave. Night Time is the Right Time, again, nothing beats Ray, but CCR came close, the Stones just sounded like Mick singing with horns and no guitar.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 5, 2011 09:27

Come On
The thing with Stones and their covers is that they always did a version that's better than the original... please show me one example where this is not true ..smoking smiley

Under the Boardwalk
Like A Rolling Stone

They seem to do much better with songs that are not that well known and could use a little cleanup.

Date: September 5, 2011 09:32

24FPS
Come On

Under the Boardwalk
Like A Rolling Stone

They seem to do much better with songs that are not that well known and could use a little cleanup.

I'm just counting the Decca/Brian Jones-era...the original of 'Under the boardwalk' is a song I have never heard...

Date: September 5, 2011 09:36

Come On
24FPS
Come On

Under the Boardwalk
Like A Rolling Stone

I'm just counting the Decca/Brian Jones-era...the original of 'Under the boardwalk' is a song I have never heard...

The Drifters made some fantastic records...

Date: September 5, 2011 12:33

Yup the Drifter's version is much better. Also, Since I've Been Loving You, Otis does it much better as did Ike and Tina.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-05 12:34 by whitem8.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 5, 2011 13:00

Come On
24FPS
Come On

Under the Boardwalk
Like A Rolling Stone

To name a few, just from the Brian Jones era. On a lot of the early covers, Jagger sounds like a pimply little fanboy compared to the original version.

Come On (Chuck Berry)
I Wanna Be Loved (Muddy Waters)
Little Red Rooster (Howlin' Wolf)
Cry to Me (Solomon Burke)
My Girl (Temps)

The greatest service of many of their early covers was that they led those of us who bother to read the credits to check out the original versions.

Date: September 5, 2011 14:27

ab
Come On
24FPS
Come On

Under the Boardwalk
Like A Rolling Stone

To name a few, just from the Brian Jones era. On a lot of the early covers, Jagger sounds like a pimply little fanboy compared to the original version.

Come On (Chuck Berry)
I Wanna Be Loved (Muddy Waters)
Little Red Rooster (Howlin' Wolf)
Cry to Me (Solomon Burke)
My Girl (Temps)

The greatest service of many of their early covers was that they led those of us who bother to read the credits to check out the original versions.

Stones versions is better...that's the thing with young Jaggers voice...He and the band is much better...Muddy and Solomon heard that and also realized it...and admit it to Jagger years later...

2 1 2 0

Date: September 5, 2011 14:30

Agree wit Come On with some one exception My Girl which is a bad cover

Date: September 5, 2011 15:56

NICOS
Agree wit Come On with some one exception My Girl which is a bad cover

I disagree, I think it's as wonderful as The Temptations & Otis Redding versions in it's own way. The RS's worse cover (at least from the BJ years) is 'I've Been Loving You Too Long'.

Date: September 5, 2011 16:12

And that's the one I love confused smiley

The problem also with My Girl is that it doesn't suit the Stones, so probably this ruined the whole song for me

Date: September 5, 2011 16:16

NICOS
And that's the one I love confused smiley

The problem also with My Girl is that it doesn't suit the Stones, so probably this ruined the whole song for me

It might not suit the Stones, but it suits Mick. As with 'Out Of Time' (Metamorphosis version) it sounds like a Mick Jagger solo record... & perhaps should've even been one during their 1966-early 67 "pop" period.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1833
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home