Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
LIVE ALBUM TALK: Sticky Fingers Live
Date: April 22, 2016 11:23

STICKY FINGERS LIVE

Label: Universal Music/iTunes
Release date: June 28, 2015
Download release only

Tracklist:

Sway
Dead Flowers
Wild Horses
Sister Morphine
You Gotta Move
Bitch
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
I Got the Blues
Moonlight Mile
Brown Sugar

What are your thoughts on this live album?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-22 11:24 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Sticky Fingers Live
Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: April 22, 2016 12:22

Really good live album. The ending of I Got The Blues is extremely good! I haven't heard so much aggression in Keith's playing for a long time.
Every song is really well performed. The only thing I don't like is that Sway is played too fast.

Hope for a future release on Bluray/ DVD thumbs up

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 22, 2016 12:50

I never obtained this album, but listening to Sister Morphine on Youtube, I am deeply
impressed by the atmosphere Ronnie creates, which is really close to Ry Cooders original.
I like this better than (the also enjoyable) version on No Security.

Why does Mick never duplicate the melody of Sway correctly?

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 22, 2016 12:59

Great to hear them do this. I liked the way they presented the album in a different running order to keep the audience on their toes.

As a concept I'd love to hear one of the IORR club put together a compilation of the best ever played versions of songs from this album.

I'll suggest one now - the version of I Got The Blues at Shepherds Bush Empire from 1999.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: April 22, 2016 14:01

MonkeyMan2000
Really good live album. The ending of I Got The Blues is extremely good! I haven't heard so much aggression in Keith's playing for a long time.
Every song is really well performed. The only thing I don't like is that Sway is played too fast.

Hope for a future release on Bluray/ DVD thumbs up

thumbs up

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 22, 2016 14:14

It´s an astounding live-album, I hope it will see a physical release soon. Playing and singing is top notch. It makes me wonder if there were overdubs done before releasing it. It´s so damn good!

This album is the right answer for all who thought Sticky Fingers can´t be done on stage without MT participating. By now Ronnie is the better MT.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 22, 2016 14:16

HMS
It´s an astounding live-album, I hope it will see a physical release soon. Playing and singing is top notch. It makes me wonder if there were overdubs done before releasing it. It´s so damn good!

This album is the right answer for all who thought Sticky Fingers can´t be done on stage without MT participating. By now Ronnie is the better MT.
+1 thumbs up

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 22, 2016 14:22

Anybody need a cover?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: April 22, 2016 14:31

Thanks, Deltics thumbs up

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 22, 2016 15:21

awful mix

Date: April 22, 2016 15:23

slewan
awful mix

Awful mix of the instruments, or awful use of effects (reverb)?

I can't hear the former. On the contrary, I like the mix.

I can hear that the reverb-ish sound may be a little too much, though. They can correct that for the vinyl release smiling smiley

PS: And no way Ronnie played with that much disortion..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-22 15:24 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 22, 2016 15:45

Great live album, possibly their best actually. And proof that the Stones just get better and better with the years.
Now, why only a low quality downnload release?? It's beyond comprehension.
It should be on vinyl already...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 22, 2016 16:14

I absolutely love it.

The ending of I Got The Blues is a revelation, and it makes me a bit sad that Mick doesn't reach as deep and summon such emotion more regularly, because it's obvious he can still do it if he tries.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 22, 2016 17:23

Great live act without any doubt. The band is concentrated and inspired. The sound quality isn't perfect, but let us wait for a possible complete release of that gig in future by Eagle Records or in the Archive Series. Sad thing that MT isn't on stage, he would have added some fine solo performances. Brown Sugar is definitely too long (7 min.) without him ...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 22, 2016 20:04

I think they must have concentrate on I Got The Blues. Absolutely NONE of the takes on the Marquee DVD are good of that particular song.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 22, 2016 20:09

24FPS
I think they must have concentrate on I Got The Blues. Absolutely NONE of the takes on the Marquee DVD are good of that particular song.

Totally disagree, love the Marquee takes ... but also love Sticky Live, if only for the reason for nice live versions of songs they don't play that often:

Sway
Wild Horses
Sister Morphine
You Gotta Move
I Got the Blues
Moonlight Mile

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 22, 2016 20:21

Great performance somewhat reduced by a too wet mix and a squashed dynamic range mastering job. All things that can be corrected as DP points out (and apparently have per Bob Clearmountains emails to one of our own). Comparing it too the original Sticky Fingers record makes this glaringly apparent.

Gad they released it, worth the price of the download and imo their best release in a long time. I wonder when and if the rumored SF documentary is going to come out? After a 2017 European tour?

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: April 22, 2016 20:31

LeonidP
24FPS

Totally disagree, love the Marquee takes ... but also love Sticky Live, if only for the reason for nice live versions of songs they don't play that often:

Sway
Wild Horses
Sister Morphine
You Gotta Move
I Got the Blues
Moonlight Mile
They don't play Wild Horses that often? ehh, they do, very often.

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: April 22, 2016 21:22

---

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: April 22, 2016 22:05

Thanks for the artwork, Deltics!

There was a ranking of RS live albums recently on Ultimate Classic Rock,
Sticky Fingers Live did not do well...

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Date: April 22, 2016 22:21

DonParker
I get the feeling that they forgot how to play music (let alone compared to the live performances they did with Taylor back in the days). No rock or balls at all. Everything drenched in reverb or effects, amateurish mistakes and awful timing. They sound like a bunch of poofs here and there. Butchering a classic album just to make money.

This description is just as suitable for the 1971 Marquee gig winking smiley

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: April 22, 2016 22:26

---

Date: April 22, 2016 22:33

grinning smiley

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: April 23, 2016 00:42

Probably their third best

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 23, 2016 03:54

DonParker
I get the feeling that they forgot how to play music (let alone compared to the live performances they did with Taylor back in the days). No rock or balls at all. Everything drenched in reverb or effects, amateurish mistakes and awful timing. They sound like a bunch of poofs here and there. Butchering a classic album just to make money.
Yet this album is the most representative of the Stones!
Taylor is a great guitarist, is a perfectionist, the opposite of what are the RS. The RS interpret rock and roll as a free fun, not as a job. For this reason errors have always been part of this band, it is a way of interpreting rock and roll, was so up by the great Brian times.
For this reason I believe that Taylor was never integrated into the band, it was an estranged body.
This makes me think that you like Taylor, not the Stones, because the Stones are this always!

Date: April 23, 2016 07:25

LeonidP
24FPS

Sway
Wild Horses
Sister Morphine
You Gotta Move
I Got the Blues
Moonlight Mile

Leonid, have you listened to the various I Got The Blues takes on Marquee? Jagger screws up every vocal. He starts too high or something and it's just not there when he needs it. It seems pretty obvious too. In fact Jagger in past interviews mentioned having problems with that particular song.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 23, 2016 07:57

Brilliant. Right on the money. And as everyone points out, I Got The Blues is just sublime, ESPECIALLY THAT ending. Right up there with GYYYO.

Rod

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 23, 2016 09:04

I was thrilled to get it. $10. Large part of my listening IS off iTunes *gasp*
thru excellent blue tooth earbuds. Not audio quality enough for you maybe, but outside on the hills, perfect-o fun for me ruining my hearing playing too loud.
A few days ago listening (again!) to
CYHMK I still think, what smoking talented musicians playing live together.
Karl Denson is a beautiful sax player, and I'm saying that as a huge Bobby Keys supporter/ lover. He throws it down on this.
Yeah, live update Sway, CYHMK, Moonlight Mile, yes.
Thank you RS.

Edit for misspelling Bobby Keys (sorry!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-13 18:19 by 35love.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: April 23, 2016 09:18

HMS

thumbs up

Date: April 23, 2016 09:18

I'm still waiting for the DVD to hear it in Blu Ray sound.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1577
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home