Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Let's talk RARE Stones vinyl
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 7, 2022 06:59

treaclefingers
JordyLicks96
Just bought a Mono Let It Bleed on ebay for very cheap!! The LP is known for being released with pressings of the unboxed and boxed Decca labels at the time of release. Got the one with the boxed Decca logo which was only in production for one month (February-March 1970)!!

EXCELLENT!

Something I do not yet have. When you say cheap, can I ask how much?

£55 [$74.50]!! (before shipping) all together around $110. He told me the vinyl is in fair shape only but not really a huge deal for me. Just the fact I managed to get such a rare record for that cheap!! Plus I read tonight the copies with the boxed Decca logos are even rarer than the unboxed ones as they were pressed so late into production!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-07 07:01 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 7, 2022 08:58

JordyLicks96
treaclefingers
JordyLicks96
Just bought a Mono Let It Bleed on ebay for very cheap!! The LP is known for being released with pressings of the unboxed and boxed Decca labels at the time of release. Got the one with the boxed Decca logo which was only in production for one month (February-March 1970)!!

EXCELLENT!

Something I do not yet have. When you say cheap, can I ask how much?

£55 [$74.50]!! (before shipping) all together around $110. He told me the vinyl is in fair shape only but not really a huge deal for me. Just the fact I managed to get such a rare record for that cheap!! Plus I read tonight the copies with the boxed Decca logos are even rarer than the unboxed ones as they were pressed so late into production!!

Yeah, I knew they were rarer, but not sure if they command more money than the red 'open' deccas.

Anyway, great price, congratulations. I'm a tad jealous. I stopped aggressively collecting the back catalogue a few years ago, though I still buy hte new stuff. I'd like to go back and plug a few holes, the two LIB reds being chief among them, and the 2:52 Tell Me version of the debut album.

Date: January 7, 2022 09:13

The debut album with the early version of Tell Me would be a great find. Someone has one up on ebay now for about $1500. I'd also love to find the Shelley pressing of Hot Rocks with the alternate versions of Brown Sugar/Wild Horses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-07 09:29 by JordyLicks96.

Date: January 7, 2022 09:20

JordyLicks96
The debut album with the early version of Tell Me would be a great find. Someone has one up on ebay now for about $1500. I'd also love to find the Shelby pressing of Hot Rocks with the alternate versions of Brown Sugar/Wild Horses.

I have a near mint of that Shelley.

I also have a Hot Rocks from that era, with the Black Hype sticker with the songs listed, still sealed.

I went through a period where all I bought were the old sealed albums. Harder to find now but kind of neat getting like even Some Girls or Emotional Rescue (with original poster), or EVEN Dirty Work with the original red cellophane, still sealed.

It's like a time capsule of music never opened.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: January 7, 2022 16:41

A couple of years ago, I bought a multi-colour vinyl version of "Conquer America". No. 139 of a total of 150 copies.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 7, 2022 16:54

treaclefingers
JordyLicks96
The debut album with the early version of Tell Me would be a great find. Someone has one up on ebay now for about $1500. I'd also love to find the Shelby pressing of Hot Rocks with the alternate versions of Brown Sugar/Wild Horses.

I also have a Hot Rocks from that era, with the Black Hype sticker with the songs listed, still sealed.

I went through a period where all I bought were the old sealed albums. Harder to find now but kind of neat getting like even Some Girls or Emotional Rescue (with original poster), or EVEN Dirty Work with the original red cellophane, still sealed.

Psst !

I'll tell you a secret .
If you get a record player and open the cellophane , you can actually listen to the music on those plastic disc thingies.

The audiophile in me gets very frustrated by the thought of all those mint original pressings , with their vastly superior sound, that will never be played and heard and listened to.

Preserving stuff for "posterity" is a good thing ...but the wear and harm caused to a pristine record if played on a good deck with a quality stylus is negligible.

Date: January 7, 2022 18:18

Spud
treaclefingers
JordyLicks96

Psst !

I'll tell you a secret .
If you get a record player and open the cellophane , you can actually listen to the music on those plastic disc thingies.

The audiophile in me gets very frustrated by the thought of all those mint original pressings , with their vastly superior sound, that will never be played and heard and listened to.

Preserving stuff for "posterity" is a good thing ...but the wear and harm caused to a pristine record if played on a good deck with a quality stylus is negligible.

PSST..., as an audiophile collector, I have multiple copies of every album, so the sealed stuff stays sealed. And like driving a new car off the lot it depreciates as soon as you rip off the cellophane.

But thanks for your insights on playing my records on a good deck. Fascinating!

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: January 25, 2022 14:46

I have just been through my Stones' singles looking for something that. I thought I had but don't ( the Rice Krispies song!).

In the process I found a French Decca EP from 1964.

Carol and I'm a King Bee on the A side ( Face 1) et Walking the Dog and Can I get a Witness on B- side.

Rare? VGC by the way.

Date: January 25, 2022 16:18

Four Stone Walls
I have just been through my Stones' singles looking for something that. I thought I had but don't ( the Rice Krispies song!).

In the process I found a French Decca EP from 1964.

Carol and I'm a King Bee on the A side ( Face 1) et Walking the Dog and Can I get a Witness on B- side.

Rare? VGC by the way.

[www.discogs.com]

I googled and on discogs I found the spanish version, with sleeve. Does yours have the sleeve? That usually is where a lot of the value is in those early singles.

If you had the Rice Crispies song on a single, that would have been a bootleg as I don't think that was ever officially released - was it?

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: January 25, 2022 20:37

Thanks for discogs info.

No picture sleeve - but mint. (plain white sleeve).

I can't remember how I was so convinced I had the Rice Krispies song as a Decca b-side. I musta had something.

It's been a long long while .....

Date: January 25, 2022 20:52

Four Stone Walls
Thanks for discogs info.

No picture sleeve - but mint. (plain white sleeve).

I can't remember how I was so convinced I had the Rice Krispies song as a Decca b-side. I musta had something.

It's been a long long while .....

Ha!

I was CONVINCED that the stones had released as their 3rd single off "Emotional Rescue", "Where The Boys Go".

I was positive I'd seen it when it was first released, in the record store.

NEVER seen or heard about it ever again, and have searched for it.

I'd like to know what the hell it was I thought I saw.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 27, 2022 01:12

Just had a Stones question about the Rice Krispies song on Jeopardy.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 27, 2022 01:24

You'll get further with
milk than you will with vinegar .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 27, 2022 01:31

Yeah. Vinegar on Rice Krispies is gross.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: January 27, 2022 13:29

I've 3 Rolling Stones MONO Decca LK 4605 with short "TELL ME"

1) side 1/2 1A-1A with: I NEED YOU BABY Original inner

2) side 1/2 2A-1A with: I NEED YOU BABY Original inner

3) side 1/2 2A-1A with: MONA Original inner

Greets, tioms,

Not on E-bay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-27 13:31 by tioms.

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: January 27, 2022 13:41

tioms

Greets, tioms,

Not on E-bay

Fantastic collection ! Congratulations ! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
- but what is an “original inner” for this LK 4605 ?

Date: January 27, 2022 13:56

On innersleeve is mentioned:

HANDLING" and "PLAYING" the record.

Made in England British patent No. 800513 Forogein patents pending

Inner is inside with plastic.

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: January 27, 2022 14:34

tioms
On innersleeve is mentioned:

HANDLING" and "PLAYING" the record.

Made in England British patent No. 800513 Forogein patents pending

Inner is inside with plastic.

Ahh - Nice with factory inners from the release time !
Jan Richardsson has a great chapter on Decca inners on “Stones On Decca”

Date: January 28, 2022 00:21

tioms

Greets, tioms,

Not on E-bay

Oh wow, you have 3 copies with the short Tell Me!!?? I would kill to be able to afford just one of them!!

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: January 29, 2022 19:41

tioms

Greets, tioms,

Not on E-bay

I have also three short Tell Me records:

-1A / -1A
-2A / -1A
-2A / -2A

Still missing -1A / -2A and also a new find reported to be existing a few years back: -3A / -1A !!

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: January 29, 2022 20:28

Jan Richards
tioms

Greets, tioms,

Not on E-bay

I have also three short Tell Me records:

-1A / -1A
-2A / -1A
-2A / -2A

Still missing -1A / -2A and also a new find reported to be existing a few years back: -3A / -1A !!

I absolutely love this level of geekdom.

By comparison, it makes me look relatively normal...not to my wife of course.

Date: January 31, 2022 15:37

What's about this LP:

Rolling Stones Special Coupling Single Digest Japan Promo LP RECORD (202853)

On record: DY-4801~3

[eil.com]

Greets,

Date: February 14, 2022 06:11

I lost out on a bidding for the first album with the short early version of TELL ME today. I had it until the last 10 seconds!! sad smiley

Date: February 14, 2022 06:19

sniper .... the old last second count down trick ....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 14, 2022 06:21

Rockman
sniper .... the old last second count down trick ....

I haven't bought anything on ebay in years, but that was my old trick. 2 seconds and pull the trigger.

Date: February 14, 2022 06:27

YEP ....snipin'.. just watch the count go down
and whack in a MASSIVE bid a second before shutdown....

Youll get it and pay the price of bid below ya ...

ROCKMAN

Date: March 13, 2022 01:59

Calling all collector's...got a question related to England's Newest Hitmakers.

OK, I've started listing my collection on DISCOGs...should have done it long ago. A great resource and I'm considering selling some stuff.

ANYWAY, my question is this, the first release of the debut album was Printed in England, the London 'Boxed' logo with FFRR ear logo. 1A/1A in the deadwax.

I believe the second pressing is the Maroon 'Open London Logo', with the T1/T1 in the deadwax. These are still FFRR as according to the cover, but don't indicate that on the label, and I think they're the first actual U.S. pressed copies.

I have a couple to few copies of each, and everything makes sense.

Later comes the 'boxed London' red label. They look a little cheaper, don't have the "Free Full Color photo" listed on the front.

OK...Here's the question. I have yet another version I've never seen before. It's a maroon label, but not like the 'second pressing'. This one has he ffrr (lower case) and ear logo, above a London label that is unboxed. AND, it says RECORDED IN EUROPE made in U.S.A. on labels, right above full frequency range recording with silver bars above and below it, through the hole in the centre of the label.

I can't find this in DISCOGS.

What sort of weird Frankenstein ENHM's copy do I have here?

Anyone??

It looks like it may be an even earlier version than the previously described maroon label. Thank you in advance.

Date: March 13, 2022 02:03

tioms

Greets, tioms,

Not on E-bay

YES!

I learned today that the 'tell' with the Tell Me is the 1A on side 2. Nothing else will do. Dang, I have 3 that are 2A or 3A.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: March 13, 2022 04:30

I believe the " Frankenstein" label as you call it is the actual first edition , not the London boxed you mention above.
I have this "Frankenstein" version as you call it in my collection at The Rolling Stones Museum Of New Jersey, including 7 , so far, different London Mono label variations of this 1st LP. and it has about 4 different mono album cover variations as well.
Feel free to email me where I can show you all the different pictures of the labels and covers

Date: March 13, 2022 04:48

deardoctortake1
I believe the " Frankenstein" label as you call it is the actual first edition , not the London boxed you mention above.
I have this "Frankenstein" version as you call it in my collection at The Rolling Stones Museum Of New Jersey, including 7 , so far, different London Mono label variations of this 1st LP. and it has about 4 different mono album cover variations as well.
Feel free to email me where I can show you all the different pictures of the labels and covers

wow...that is very cool. I'll send you a note for sure. DISCOGs, if memory serves, has the Made in England boxed London FFRR's as the first edition.

That sort of makes sense...why would they start making them in the US, then import them, and then go back to making them in the US?

Very cool history only a vinyl nerd could enjoy!

Incidentally, that "Recorded in Europe" on the label...that really is odd...weren't they sure what part of Europe they were from?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-13 04:54 by treaclefingers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1689
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home